First look: iPhone 5 unboxing and comparison pictures

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
With the iPhone 5 unleashed on Friday, AppleInsider offers a closer look at both the black and white models now available.

Unboxing

The compact packaging is in line with previous iPhone models, with a top cover that slips off to reveal the iPhone 5 resting atop. Underneath are a manual, USB wall adapter, Lightning cable, and Apple's new EarPods headphones.

The most noticeable change to the iPhone 5 is the device's weight. Once it's picked up, the iPhone 5 is considerably lighter than the design of its predecessors, the iPhone 4S and the iPhone 4.

The larger screen is also noticeable once the device is picked up and powered on, as if you're used to using your iPhone with one hand, your finger will have to stretch a little farther to reach the lock screen on the iPhone 5.

For a closer look at both the black and white iPhone 5 models, and a comparison to the iPhone 4, see the pictures included below.

Unboxing

Unboxing

Unboxing

Unboxing

Unboxing

Unboxing

Unboxing

Unboxing

Unboxing

Unboxing

Unboxing

Unboxing

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    Given the annodization on the black iPhone is ... well, black; it would appear that scratches and scrapes on the black iPhone would more readily show up, compared to the silver finish on the White iPhone.

With this pretty basic bit of knowledge, I think I need to go with the White iPhone, so it looks "new" longer.
  • Reply 2 of 32

So far... So Good with my iPhone5 64gb, though (admittedly) it's hardly as exciting as when I bought my iPhone 4 a couple of years ago given that it's essentially the same mobile experience in a slightly different package.

Let's just hope that Apple gets that whole iOS Maps situation straightened out sooner than later, and offer a few more iOS improvements next time around.

• Reply 3 of 32
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Looks like AI still doesn't own a professional camera or lighting equipment.

• Reply 4 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hodar View Post

Given the annodization on the black iPhone is ... well, black; it would appear that scratches and scrapes on the black iPhone would more readily show up, compared to the silver finish on the White iPhone.

With this pretty basic bit of knowledge, I think I need to go with the White iPhone, so it looks "new" longer.

That is the conclusion I came to as well, but who knows what kind of treatment the material has. If something like that could occur to you and me, I'm sure Jony has given it some consideration as well.

• Reply 5 of 32

Ah, that felt good. Been a long time since we've had a classic unboxing.

• Reply 6 of 32
    Invest in a camera for crying out loud...
  • Reply 7 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

So far... So Good with my iPhone5 64gb, though (admittedly) it's hardly as exciting as when I bought my iPhone 4 a couple of years ago given that it's essentially the same mobile experience in a slightly different package.

Exactly why I continue with my 2+ year old 4. 90% of my use is wifi (and 4g doesn't hit my city until December anyway). For what I think is the first time in my tech-obsessed life, I don't feel the "want" to buy this. Unless it breaks, I'll wait and see what 2013 brings.

To those that upgrade, enjoy and post your experiences.

• Reply 8 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Invest in a camera for crying out loud...

Nah the camera in the 4S is good enough  ;)  Wait... then how was the picture with the 3 phones taken? 

• Reply 9 of 32
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The white and black ones looks extra-different this time around. That's a great thing!
  • Reply 10 of 32

Hey wait a second. Is the dock cord gray? Wow stop the presses.

• Reply 11 of 32
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Nice comparison. Glad to see that they've increased the screen size without increasing the size of the phone significantly.

• Reply 12 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by roxtar40 View Post

Exactly why I continue with my 2+ year old 4. 90% of my use is wifi (and 4g doesn't hit my city until December anyway). For what I think is the first time in my tech-obsessed life, I don't feel the "want" to buy this. Unless it breaks, I'll wait and see what 2013 brings.

My experience thus far is:

01) Very nicely built device, though I can see why some are noting the fragility of the coating on the black version (NOTE: I already covered it in Carbon Fiber) :-)

http://imageshack.us/a/img854/5964/p1000614a.jpg

02) Faster (though not drastically so) than my iPhone 4S, and it'll be nice to see what developers do with the additional SoC/GPU-power.

03) Still rather surprised that the 'Lightning' connector is USB 2.0 instead of 3.0, and have already discovered that the adaptor doesn't interface properly with all my vehicles.

http://imageshack.us/a/img703/4814/siphone5.jpg

• Reply 13 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by roxtar40 View Post

Going to go out on a limb and say 2013 will bring us...iPhone 5S. We'll probably get a 12MP iSight Camera, and A6x processor, expanded Siri functionality, and a bit better battery. Oh and iOS 7, whatever that'll bring.

We'll have to hold out till 2014 before we can be "wowed" again upgrading from our iPhone 4. I'm right with you on not being over-anxious to upgrade and sign a new contract for a phone that is .5 inches taller, a bit lighter and a bit thinner. The cases on our iPhones wont let you see any of that anyways.

• Reply 14 of 32

Seeing the 4S in the photos, the photos look like they were taken by the 4 or a 3GS image

• Reply 15 of 32
    daharder wrote: »
    My experience thus far is:

01) Very nicely built device, though I can see why some are noting the fragility of the coating on the black version (NOTE: I already covered it in Carbon Fiber) :-)

http://imageshack.us/a/img854/5964/p1000614a.jpg

02) Faster (though not drastically so) than my iPhone 4S, and it'll be nice to see what developers do with the additional SoC/GPU-power.

03) Still rather surprised that the 'Lightning' connector is USB 2.0 instead of 3.0, and have already discovered that the adaptor doesn't interface properly with all my vehicles.

http://imageshack.us/a/img703/4814/siphone5.jpg

LL
    That carbon fiber looks nice...

I'm gonna need a link to that.
  • Reply 16 of 32

People, it's a friggin box. Wipe the drool off your chin. 

• Reply 17 of 32
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member

For those who believe the 18% additional pixels on the iPhone 5 aren't significant, consider that from 10-25% (sometimes more) of the iPhone 4/4S display is often consumed by controls and possibly ads. With its taller screen, controls and ads remain the same size on the iPhone 5, and the additional pixels go entirely toward allowing more content to be displayed--often 25%+ or more additional content compared to the iPhone 4/4S.

• Reply 18 of 32
    Why does no one ever show the comparison of the back of the phones? Lol. That's an important part of the design. I've seen the back of each of them, but never side-by-side.
  • Reply 19 of 32

After having dealt with AT&T's 3G network for the past 3 years, I'm blown away by what I'm getting with the iPhone5 and 4G LTE! Three times faster than my DSL. 

• Reply 20 of 32

Originally Posted by estolinski View Post

[SpeedTest image]

I've never understood where SpeedTest gets off forcing people to download their app to run it. Frigging make your website HTML5… 

Anyway, it's really good to see AT&T coming through for the few people they serve.