Some users find scuffs, nicks on newly-purchased iPhone 5s [u]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
An increasing number of iPhone 5 owners are reporting scuffs and other signs of damage to their newly-purchased smartphones right out of the box, with some miffed customers taking to the web in what is being dubbed "scuffgate."

Update: iFixit has posted a video testing the "scuffability" of the black and slate iPhone 5 versus the last generation iPhone 4S. The test does not reflect normal day use, however it does appear that Apple's newest device is more easily damaged by other metal objects. Video embedded below.

Scuffgate
Source: @Stormsein via Twitter

According to complaints posted to various forums and social media sites, a limited number of launch-day iPhone 5 units are being delivered straight from the factory with scuffs and dings.

While the exact percentage of affected iPhones is unknown, the issue appears to be significant enough to warrant its own hashtag on Twitter. The tongue-in-cheek "#Scuffgate" is a callback to the iPhone 4's "antennagate" controversy which saw the then-new handset ship with an antenna design flaw that affected cellular performance.

Scuffgate
Source: @rollermog via Twitter

Most of the reports are coming from users who bought the black and slate iPhone 5, which some claim is due to the anodizing process that colors the handset's aluminum backplate. The speculation may be unfounded, however, as a number of white and silver units have also been affected. A more likely explanation is that both versions are affected equally, but the damage is more noticeable on the black and slate model as the scratches reveal the underlying silver-colored "raw" aluminum, a stark contrast to the anodized outer layer.

The cause of the damage is unknown, however similar reports of dings and scratches surfaced when the new iPad was released in March, possibly hinting at a manufacturing process flaw.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 267
    Nothing a little bondo cant fix.
  • Reply 2 of 267

Yep. Knew it. Mapgate, Scuffgate, Tubegate, Sizegate, Portgate, Thingate. Apple is doomedgate.

• Reply 3 of 267

Happy to hear I'm not the only one.  I have the smallest little "nick" from what looks like the last touch of the diamond tipped drill on one of the beveled edges.

I have already sent Tim Cook an email regarding it. 

It has been my experience, that any comment sent directly to Tim is sent to his group and someone has always contacted me within 24-48 hours.

Eric H.

• Reply 4 of 267
    Why does it seem like Apple can't release anything anymore without something being wrong with it? What happened to quality control?
  • Reply 5 of 267
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Yep. Knew it. Mapgate, Scuffgate, Tubegate, Sizegate, Portgate, Thingate. Apple is doomedgate.

So true, but lets not forget Successgate and Megabilliongate continues on unabated!
  • Reply 6 of 267
    Screwed by the Chinese workers!
  • Reply 7 of 267
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Happy to hear I'm not the only one.  I have the smallest little "nick" from what looks like the last touch of the diamond tipped drill on one of the beveled edges.

It has been my experience, that any comment sent directly to Tim is sent to his group and someone has always contacted me within 24-48 hours.

Eric H.

Well you should have kept quiet about that then shouldn't you ... /wink
  • Reply 8 of 267
    Same problem here iPhone 5 16gb att.
  • Reply 9 of 267

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Hofstetter View Post

Apple runs a customer support department for a reason. There is no reason to bother the CEO unless there is a serious problem. Your request is most likely just being transfered to the correct department.

• Reply 10 of 267
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

One drop in a jean's pocket with coins/keys or a woman's purse and you'll get the exact same thing!  I can understand one paying a pretty penny for a nice phone, but come on people!  Why do people expect absolute perfection?  It doesn't exist in nature, yet you demand that in a mass-produced product?

Bring your "perfect" product after using it in a week and lets compare.

Jeez, I can understand an obvious flaw, damage, etc... but the kind of "scuffs" seen in this picture is borderline drama-queen.

• Reply 11 of 267

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Hofstetter View Post

Eric H.

Isnt that a bit much? You'll get a quicker response if you stick to calling AppleCare. They are immediate - and in most cases can schedule you a genius appointment for the same day. I dunno... Tim's just a busy person I don't think we need to post every scuff and scratch to him... AppleCare is where they will start seeing the responses come in and immediately come to fruition with a plan of action if its a pandemic.

I only email Tim when I feel a pat on the back is warranted, or a major fubar must me mentioned (like the discontinuation of a product that affect my life... hehe  ;)).  Maybe I'm wrong... but... I think you'll get better results with the channels they have setup for this kind of stuff.

• Reply 12 of 267
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

One more for the last and only gate.  Apple Gate.

• Reply 13 of 267

Yep, wrote to Tim last night. He got right back to me. Extremely apologetic. Nice dealing with a small company.

• Reply 14 of 267
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waverunnr View Post

Why does it seem like Apple can't release anything anymore without something being wrong with it? What happened to quality control?

Because Apple is under a microscope, because Apple users tend to be irrational OCD freaks. Every other product released by every other manufacturer, including Tiffany, Rolex, BMW, Ford, Chevy, Walmart, et al have similar flaws and blemishes. There is no such thing as a perfect product. Things happen and things get replaced or fixed. But because it's Apple it becomes a "gate".

Your whining lament proves the point perfectly.

• Reply 15 of 267
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

First of all any blackened aluminum wether it be anodized or painted is gonna show the scuff marks way more than the iPhone 4s or previous generation.  Let me see a video of it being unpacked from a shrink wrapped box and then being inspected for scuff marks then I will believe it.  Other wise its user error.

• Reply 16 of 267

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

One drop in a jean's pocket with coins/keys or a woman's purse and you'll get the exact same thing!  I can understand one paying a pretty penny for a nice phone, but come on people!  Why do people expect absolute perfection?  It doesn't exist in nature, yet you demand that in a mass-produced product?

Bring your "perfect" product after using it in a week and lets compare.

Jeez, I can understand an obvious flaw, damage, etc... but the kind of "scuffs" seen in this picture is borderline drama-queen.

Hear! Hear!

• Reply 17 of 267

I think it's important to keep some perspective here.... assuming an initial batch of around 2,000,000 phones produced even if 10,000 exhibit this problem that is still only 0.5%.... when dealing with production on this scale there are bound to be some teething issues that fall through the cracks. How many S3s get shipped with faults and returned but without all the media hoopla?

• Reply 18 of 267
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Personally, with the example photo given, I'd just touch that up with a tiny dot from a sharpie and call it good. It even looks like the photo was shot with a macro lens setting. If it has to be perfect, by all means, return it, but phones are heavy use items, that's probably the least you'll notice by the time you retire the device.

While we're at it, lay a strand of hair next to the "scuff" if you take such a photo. I have a suspicion that the hair width is similar in size to that flaw.

I suspect this wouldn't have been a problem if Apple didn't advertise the case is made within microns of repeatability.
  • Reply 19 of 267

Put it into gel skin and chill.

• Reply 20 of 267

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

So true, but lets not forget Successgate and Megabilliongate continues on unabated!

That's all because of extortionatepricesgate.

Originally Posted by Rodent View Post

Screwed by the Chinese workers!

Ah, Chinagate, thanks. There are a bunch of subgates for that.