Apple's new iOS 6 Camera app makes Panorama capture easy

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53

Quote:

Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

If you want high quality, get a DSLR.  The iPhone is a snapshot camera (although a pretty good one considering) but it is not a professional level camera.

Let's just keep this in context....

What if I want better quality, but don't want to lug around my DSLR? 

Yes, the iPhone 4S is a point-and-shoot camera, but as the saying goes, 'the best camera is the one with you'. While not even on a level close to DSLR, for the average picture, the iPhone 4S is MORE than serviceable, even if you wan 8x10 prints or to display it on a 60" TV. For the average user, that's about all you're ever gonna do. 

You can desire more quality without wanting a professional level offering. If quality didn't matter on convenience cameras (which is what all point and shoot cameras essentially are — they're either more convenient to carry or conveniently less expensive), we'd still be using VGA cameras on cell phones. 

This new feature is supposed to allow well-stitched panoramic photos with the same excellent quality as the current 4S camera captures, as opposed to 3rd party apps which are low quality, have distortion, and have stitching issues. 

• Reply 42 of 53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

However things like the missing Bluetooth profiles, the purposely disabled cell phone hardware on the iPad, the new Lightning Connector that is less functional than the old one, and the unavailability of both FaceTime and iMessages on other platforms (either as first-party implementations on those platforms or at least as public specifications that third-parties can implement) are pure greed, and that I can not tolerate, because unlike many of you I am not a blind follower, and if this situation worsens I won't personally think twice about jumping ship.

1) Bluetooth file transfers doesn't really work with Apple's philosophy, especially given the lack of a file system and the not-exactly-user-friendly pairing method. Let me ask you, what types of files are you trying to transfer that require Bluetooth that you currently can't easily transfer? Photos? Documents? Contacts? Apple often goes against the grain and offers its own solution. For instance, in iOS 6 you can easily share photos wirelessly with shared albums. Or you can simply use iMessage or email to send photos, as you can do with documents and contacts. So other than a perceived lack of functionality, what really are you prevented from doing? As Apple doesn't charge for a competing service, how is disabling certain Bluetooth functionality greed?

2) You want to use the iPad as a phone? Really? Why not just use Skype?

3) You keep spewing this drivel that the Lightning Connector is less functional. Was the iMac less functional because it removed the floppy drive? Apple routinely removes old technology, in this case legacy analog connections. And do you really think it does NOTHING better than the old connector? Apple hasn't specified, but don't you think there's a chance it's faster, more reliable, or will be capable of stuff down the road that we don't know about? Further, there is increasingly less need for physical connections; for instance, instead of hooking up AV cables, it's much easier to use AirPlay. As to it being greedy... you really think the Lightning Connector is a cash grab? 

4) Apple originally mentioned FaceTime as eventually becoming a standard, but gave no timetable. Regardless, being a for-profit company, Apple — like EVERY OTHER COMPANY — is allowed to keep certain advantage-adding IP to themselves. How is that greedy? Is it greedy Google doesn't share its search algorithms? 

• Reply 43 of 53
    pendergast wrote: »
    1) Bluetooth file transfers doesn't really work with Apple's philosophy, especially given the lack of a file system and the not-exactly-user-friendly pairing method. Let me ask you, what types of files are you trying to transfer that require Bluetooth that you currently can't easily transfer? Photos? Documents? Contacts? Apple often goes against the grain and offers its own solution. For instance, in iOS 6 you can easily share photos wirelessly with shared albums. Or you can simply use iMessage or email to send photos, as you can do with documents and contacts. So other than a perceived lack of functionality, what really are you prevented from doing? As Apple doesn't charge for a competing service, how is disabling certain Bluetooth functionality greed?

You don't need a filesystem for OBEX, OPP, BIP, BPP, DUN, Fax, HID, MAP, and PBA (for example), and those are pretty useful profiles for exchanging pictures, vcards, making your cameras available as scanners, bluetooth printing, bluetooth modems (useful to send SMSes and make calls through a computer), to connect keyboards and other human interface devices (available on the iPad only with limited functionality), to integrate with docks and external car hands-free sets, etc. Plus there actually is a filesystem in there, it looks pretty similar to the filesystem on a Mac, it's just that the user doesn't see it. Lastly, you are exposed to pairing when you connect a keyboard to an iPad for the first time.

2) You want to use the iPad as a phone? Really? Why not just use Skype?

Because among other things (like most people I know, including myself, not having Skype accounts but having phones), the carrier sends and expects SMS communications for certain services that obviously I can not read or reply to on the iPad.

3) You keep spewing this drivel that the Lightning Connector is less functional. Was the iMac less functional because it removed the floppy drive? Apple routinely removes old technology, in this case legacy analog connections. And do you really think it does NOTHING better than the old connector? Apple hasn't specified, but don't you think there's a chance it's faster, more reliable, or will be capable of stuff down the road that we don't know about? Further, there is increasingly less need for physical connections; for instance, instead of hooking up AV cables, it's much easier to use AirPlay. As to it being greedy... you really think the Lightning Connector is a cash grab? 

Don't know, I wasn't an Apple customer when they went full retard on the floppy. I kept a floppy drive on my last gaming Windows / Linux desktop until 2011 (when I gave it away), and I hope they don't discontinue the classic MacBook Pros for a very long time because I'm not prepared to move off HDDs or optic drives yet either. At the moment I don't have to think anything, as I deal in facts, and the fact is that currently the Lightning Connector is crap compared to the Dock Connector. To think that there are no use cases for the analog plugs is to be extremely narrow minded, and the requirement to buy an Apple TV to do what I can essentially do for free on an iPhone 4S and iPad 3 is greed indeed, not only that, but because the current Apple TV has no connector for iDevices at all, you also need to carry either a Wi-Fi router or have Personal Hotspot on your iDevices to give presentations. This is just retarded.

4) Apple originally mentioned FaceTime as eventually becoming a standard, but gave no timetable. Regardless, being a for-profit company, Apple — like EVERY OTHER COMPANY — is allowed to keep certain advantage-adding IP to themselves. How is that greedy? Is it greedy Google doesn't share its search algorithms? 

Apple isn't required to share their code either, so long as they provide multi-platform solutions. What's the harm in providing iMessages on icloud.com? Fine, keep FaceTime as a premium feature for people with Apple products, but at least allow anyone to talk through the messaging service!
  • Reply 44 of 53
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

What if I want better quality, but don't want to lug around my DSLR? 

Yes, the iPhone 4S is a point-and-shoot camera, but as the saying goes, 'the best camera is the one with you'. While not even on a level close to DSLR, for the average picture, the iPhone 4S is MORE than serviceable, even if you wan 8x10 prints or to display it on a 60" TV. For the average user, that's about all you're ever gonna do. 

You can desire more quality without wanting a professional level offering. If quality didn't matter on convenience cameras (which is what all point and shoot cameras essentially are — they're either more convenient to carry or conveniently less expensive), we'd still be using VGA cameras on cell phones. 

This new feature is supposed to allow well-stitched panoramic photos with the same excellent quality as the current 4S camera captures, as opposed to 3rd party apps which are low quality, have distortion, and have stitching issues. 

And you make my point...context.

Todays snapshot cameras are better than DLSR's were over 5 years ago for the record

• Reply 45 of 53
    So how does Apple do thisjQuery18106601596991531551_1348003906064? Anyone have any idea?
  • Reply 46 of 53
    My android phone can do this as well. I don't know what makes this so special, especially when the two pieces of technology have also been in other digital cameras for quite some time.... LOL
  • Reply 47 of 53
    I highly recommend people interested in this check out Photosynth, by that other software company. Really neat stuff.
  • Reply 48 of 53
    just_a_guy wrote: »
    My android phone can do this as well. I don't know what makes this so special, especially when the two pieces of technology have also been in other digital cameras for quite some time.... LOL

I remember having a digital camera that could stitch photos together for a panoramic shot. I never used it because it was complex, required too much user interaction, was slow to use, and the results were never very good. Bottom line: technically having a feature isn't enough, it has to be useful, too. I have no idea how good your Android phone SW is, it could be good and surely it's better than the camera I used years ago, but the point stands: usability trumps being able to exclaim "First!" every time.
  • Reply 49 of 53

Congratulations.  My HTC Android phone has been able to do this since I got it a year ago, incredibly easy too - the same amount of effort as turning the flash on/off. 

• Reply 50 of 53
    mikeb85 wrote: »
    Congratulations.  My HTC Android phone has been able to do this since I got it a year ago, incredibly easy too - the same amount of effort as turning the flash on/off. 

What about the iPhone finally getting LTE? Has your HTC had LTE since you got it a year ago?
  • Reply 51 of 53

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

What about the iPhone finally getting LTE? Has your HTC had LTE since you got it a year ago?

HTC models have (the Thunderbolt, which has LTE, was released in March 2011, the Rezound and Raider were both LTE as well, and available around this time last year), but not mine specifically.  It does have 42 Mbps dual HSPA+ though, which is plenty fast.  I didn't buy an LTE phone because last year LTE coverage in Canada was pretty much non-existant, and HSPA+ was the fastest standard.  Not to mention, around here carriers throttle download speeds so much that you can never really make use of your high-speed connection.

• Reply 52 of 53
    If you want to print your iPhone panorama really big, check out http://pantastic.co!
  • Reply 53 of 53
    wow~~the panoramic photo is amazing and attracting! i wanna do this too. may i ask a question? if i have some pictures about aerials and i have panorama maker, can i make panoramic photo like yours?? i wanna have a photo stitching software(www.arcsoft.com/panorama-maker/) to teach me how to stitch photos(www.arcsoft.com/panorama-maker/how-to-make-panorama.html) too...i think the effect is 3d panorama will be more wonderful.