Some users find scuffs, nicks on newly-purchased iPhone 5s [u]

Comments

• Reply 41 of 267
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Speaking of the case, i have seen 4 drop test and the iphone 5 seems to be one tough little thing. The only case i have seen the glass broke the guy had to throw the phone on a tile floor.
  • Reply 42 of 267
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Does the production of glass require the use of electrical energy?

The heat of fusion of silicon is about 5x that of aluminum, how does it take more electricity to make aluminum than glass?

The product of glass does.  I never said it doesn't.  I merely said it uses less than the aluminum process.  I never said it didn't use energy now did I.

• Reply 43 of 267
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member

When you use slave labor to build your products, you have bad QC, go figure, you get what you pay for...

• Reply 44 of 267
    rs9rs9 Posts: 68member

Actually, Apple does it to themselves. They are their own worse enemy. We all saw the "hoo-haw"  - precision engineering, manufacturing/assembling millions of Iphone, in high-tech fasion / praising their genius.  They keep on setting the bar higher and higher  - they proclaim, Apple Perfection, and this is never going to  happe. SkyNet Anyone image

Any IT person with half a brain knows, never buy the first batch of any type of hardware or software, there will always be problems. For the record, I'll pick up an Iphone undecided if it with be the 32GB or 64 GB model, in about a month after all this craziness settles down.

• Reply 45 of 267

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

... For aluminum, OTOH, you're digging aluminum out of the ground as bauxite (a complicated aluminum oxide compound). You have to chemically break those aluminum/oxygen bonds - and breaking bonds takes a lot more energy than simply melting something.

What if it's recycled aluminum?

• Reply 46 of 267
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

When you use slave labor to build your products, you have bad QC, go figure, you get what you pay for...

What a stupid thing to say, unless you don't mind being a liar. 

There is no slave labor, and Foxconn employees get paid handsomely. You should take your lies elsewhere.

• Reply 47 of 267

I have the same problem on my 32GB Black/Slate model. Not a huge issue but when you're paying $700 for a device you expect it to be new out of the box and not look used. The back plate on mine was pretty dirty as well...

• Reply 48 of 267

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

First of all any blackened aluminum wether it be anodized or painted is gonna show the scuff marks way more than the iPhone 4s or previous generation.  Let me see a video of it being unpacked from a shrink wrapped box and then being inspected for scuff marks then I will believe it.  Other wise its user error.

I have this problem as well. I noticed it as soon as I took the plastic off the phone so unless the user error was putting my hands on the device for the first time, it's a problem at the factory (or caused by the box during shipping). 

• Reply 49 of 267
    Antenna-gate
    Maps-gate
    Scuff-gate
    Steve never would have let this happen-gate
    Like a fool I order my iPhone5 on the first day-gate
    My Cheap Plastic Android Sucks-gate
    Hate-gate

• Reply 50 of 267
    Yep, I have a few on mine... Calling apple tomorrow...
  • Reply 51 of 267

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Does the production of glass require the use of electrical energy?

The heat of fusion of silicon is about 5x that of aluminum, how does it take more electricity to make aluminum than glass?

Aluminum is basically frozen electricity—about 20 KWh/kg, IIRC.

• Reply 52 of 267
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yep. Knew it. Mapgate, Scuffgate, Tubegate, Sizegate, Portgate, Thingate. Apple is doomedgate.

Those that hate, love the gate.

• Reply 53 of 267

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Those that hate, love the gate.

Apple should make their products instantly stop working upon touching 1cc of a liquid or entering a situation where the humidity is above 10%.

No one can complain about it because watergate is taken.

• Reply 54 of 267

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Wait, what? That sounds backward. Maps will not only be "fixed", they'll surpass Google's efforts tenfold. This is damage. But I don't know HOW, since anodized aluminum's what my Mac Pro's of, and it's like the day out of the box.

Well, duh!!  Try walking around for a few days with your Mac Pro in your pocket with a bunch of keys, and then tell us if "it's like the day out of the box."

• Reply 55 of 267
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I was surprised to see a scratch on the back of mine. 64GB white vzw
  • Reply 56 of 267
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    Because Apple is under a microscope, because Apple users tend to be irrational OCD freaks. Every other product released by every other manufacturer, including Tiffany, Rolex, BMW, Ford, Chevy, Walmart, et al have similar flaws and blemishes. There is no such thing as a perfect product. Things happen and things get replaced or fixed. But because it's Apple it becomes a "gate".

Your whining lament proves the point perfectly.

It seems like many Apple users are the most OCD in the world. I remember with the new iPad someone retuned their device 13 times! because of alleged display issues. And if you didn't have any issues you just weren't looking hard enough.

I've seen reports of people getting perfect devices and some with minor scuffs. Of course those with issues are more likely to post them on the www, whereas those who don't arent posting that their phone is fine, so it ends up looking worse than it is. I'm not entirely surprised as it sounds like this is a new and very complicated manufacturing process. But I'm sure it's something that can be fixed. And if you have one with a nick get it replaced.
  • Reply 57 of 267

Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

Well, duh!!  Try walking around for a few days with your Mac Pro in your pocket with a bunch of keys, and then tell us if "it's like the day out of the box."

Why in the world would you put your phone with your keys?! I guess I just don't get that.

But no, I'm saying it has been hit, been bumped, been scraped with metal, even, and nothing has happened to the case like that.

• Reply 58 of 267
    Yep. Knew it. Mapgate, Scuffgate, Tubegate, Sizegate, Portgate, Thingate. Apple is doomedgate.

Good thing they don't make gates or we'd have gategate
  • Reply 59 of 267
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    anonymouse wrote: »

What if it's recycled aluminum?

Yes, recycled aluminum uses only a tiny fraction as much energy as virgin aluminum. When recycling aluminum, the aluminum-oxide bonds have already been broken, so you're back to a simple physical process (largely).
  • Reply 60 of 267
    ...nothing a little black sharpie couldn't fix :)