Apple's iPhone 5 is "fastest smartphone in the land"

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
After performing a series of web and raw computing benchmarks, Apple's iPhone 5 was declared the world's fastest smartphone.

Fastest iPhone ever, of course

A report by PC Mag pitted iPhone 5 against previous iPhone models, then against top Android models from Samsung (Galaxy S III, released in June) and Google (Motorola Droid RAZR M, released last week).

Apple's latest iPhone 5 easily beat previous years' iPhone models, often by a factor of two. In browser tests, it scored nearly twice as fast as iPhone 4S in Browsermark, where it was more than three times as fast as iPhone 4, even with all phones upgraded to iOS 6 (which improves browser speeds).

In general purpose benchmarks, PC Mag said iPhone 5 was more than 2.5 times as fast as iPhone 4S, and over 4.2 times as fast as iPhone 4. Apple continues to sell all three models.

In graphics tests, iPhone 5 scored 2.2 times as high as iPhone 4S and more than 8 times as fast as iPhone 4. The scores for all iPhone models are detailed at PC Mag.

Taking on the fastest Android phones

PC Mag noted that last year's iPhone 4S running iOS 6 on its dual core, 800MHz A5, "is about on par with leading Android 4.0 phones like the Samsung Galaxy S III and the Motorola Droid RAZR M, both of which are using 1.5GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 processors," adding that "obviously, the difference is that Safari is a faster browser than the Android browser."

The new iPhone 5 "takes things to the next level," the site wrote, stating that "its Browsermark score is 80 percent higher, and it shows much quicker Sunspider times."

In general purpose Geekbench scores, iPhone 5 won overall by a narrower margin, but as the site noted, "the 'memory' and 'stream' scores, both of which test loading data in and out of RAM, come out much better on the Apple device."

In a graphics-specific processing test, iPhone 5 beat the S III and RAZR M by more than a factor of three.

"Based on these benchmarks, the iPhone 5 lives up to the promise of being twice as fast as the iPhone 4S. It's also, for now, the fastest handheld computer sold in the US," the report concluded.

A6 internal design

Apple's custom A6 achieves its speed advantage through what TechInsights called "a very unique processor design," which appears to use three graphics cores and an entirely new ARM dual core GPU designed by Apple (pictured above).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 186

"Benchmarks don't matter to you Appletards, right?"

—The Anti-Apple Brigade, upon reading this

• Reply 2 of 186
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Of course it is, and I always assumed it would be. Which is why the kneejerk, myopic troll reactions of LOL UNDERSPECCED ONLY 1 GB RAM DUAL CORE were so fucking stupid. This is always the case though- the trolls get disproven about absolutely EVERYTHING they say, every single attack gets exposed to be bullshit, yet they repeat the same shit the next year. And not just Apple haters mind you, but also from supposedly Apple fans. Even the leaked case, which was universally decided to be 'ugly as hell, not Apple-like, trash' etc online, and now once the phone is in people's hand its being described as possibly the nicest/most beautiful device ever made. The contrast is always mindblowing, yet every time its the same thing. 

• Reply 3 of 186
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Not only is it the best phone on the planet, it's also the fastest! 

For Fandroids, who live and die exclusively by specs, this is pretty devastating news for them, and I've seen quite a few meltdowns today already on various sites. I'd imagine that more than a few of them have now been put on 24 hour suicide watch. What a horrible shame. image

And what about that drop test video made by a site called "Android Authority"? The Galaxy S3 got crushed by the iPhone! image Today is not a good day to be a Fandroid. image

I bet that some Fandroid trolls are at this very moment down in their parent's basements, desperately rooting their phones and trying to overclock them to the point of the CPU burning out, just so that they can upload fraudulent results to the test sites, which is exactly what some of them have been doing lately.

• Reply 4 of 186
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Designs like this CPU scare intel because imagine what they are doing for notebook cpu's that we haven't seen...
  • Reply 5 of 186
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/152797/apples-iphone-5-is-fastest-smartphone-in-the-land#post_2195739"]Not only is it the best phone on the planet, it's also the fastest! 

For Fandroids, who live and die exclusively by specs, this is pretty devastating news for them, and I've seen quite a few meltdowns today already on various sites. I'd imagine that more than a few of them have now been put on 24 hour suicide watch. What a horrible shame. :lol:

And what about that drop test video made by a site called "Android Authority"? The Galaxy S3 got crushed by the iPhone! :lol:  Today 

I bet that some Fandroid trolls are at this very moment down in their parent's basements, desperately rooting their phones and trying to overclock them to the point of the CPU burning out, just so that they can upload fraudulent results to the test sites, which is exactly what some of them have been doing lately.

I particularly enjoyed that video at about 5:08 where he refers to the S III's case as "cheap plastic."
  • Reply 6 of 186

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Of course it is, and I always assumed it would be. Which is why the kneejerk, myopic troll reactions of LOL UNDERSPECCED ONLY 1 GB RAM DUAL CORE were so fucking stupid. This is always the case though- the trolls get disproven about absolutely EVERYTHING they say, every single attack gets exposed to be bullshit, yet they repeat the same shit the next year. And not just Apple haters mind you, but also from supposedly Apple fans. Even the leaked case, which was universally decided to be 'ugly as hell, not Apple-like, trash' etc online, and now once the phone is in people's hand its being described as possibly the nicest/most beautiful device ever made. The contrast is always mindblowing, yet every time its the same thing. 

I find it infuriating! If I were to correct every idiot I met each day online and in real life, I would not have a life of my own. Instead, for the most part, I have to bite my tongue and just accept that the world is chock full of gullible fools.

To make it worse,they psychological project that I am the gullible one for buying Apple products which according to them are nothing but marketing!

• Reply 7 of 186
    Steve on Technology and Liberal Arts:

• Reply 8 of 186
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

Time and time again I have said that we are beyond specs in terms of what can be done (realistically) on a handheld, mobile device.  But alas, Android fanboys just don't know when to keep their mouths shut.

Now what do these tests prove that slaps fandroids silly?  That a DUAL-core iPhone chip can run rings around a QUAD-core android-phone chip.  It's pathetic, it's sad, and it just proves how ignorant, clueless, and disconnected Android sheep really are.  Add to that the bloated, inefficient, lag-prone, stuttering OS that is Android, which even with a Quad-core chip, can still barely keep up with the efficient, and polished iOS system.

You're right Scamscum... the next big thing is here.  It came out today, and it's the iPhone.

What are you going to copy next?

• Reply 9 of 186

why is that GUIMark3 number higher for the Galaxy?

• Reply 10 of 186

They serve a purpose. In this case, shutting people up who rely on them.
  • Reply 11 of 186

I'd be interested to know how iPhones compare to iPod Touches. Theoretically the same generation should match, right? But I've heard the iPhones are a bit faster.

• Reply 12 of 186

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

That a DUAL-core iPhone chip can run rings around a QUAD-core android-phone chip. 

But 4 is greater than 2! Therefore my Android phone is better than your iPhone! Nevermind that mine is slower, more laggy, worse built and looks like shit, my screen is bigger!

I don't even need a home entertainment system, I just hang my Android phone on the wall, and watch movies there all day long. It saves a hell of a lot of money, especially for somebody like me who can't afford a 50" LCD. And don't even make me mention all of the wild rooting that I've been doing lately on the phone. It's not like girls are interested in me or anything, they usually just laugh when I pull out that huge phone, and I find rooting to be an interesting hobby. Don't underestimate re-arranging your desktop until you've tried it! Hell, it's not like there are a lot of good games or worthwhile apps that I can use, so moving icons around will have to do for now.

I also spend most of my free time on Apple forums, because those iFans need to be set straight, and I hate Apple so much that it makes sense to constantly talk about Apple products. 

• Reply 13 of 186

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Well, that's too bad..  seems like the average iphone users can't tell the difference anyway..

not sure what your point is...   GS III JB (pre-release) already produced better geekbench results (clearly indicating that it's not a raw cpu performance issue); Note II, to be released in mid-Novemeber, is also known to perform much better than GS III (hence Note II > iPhone 5).  Samsung makes over 20+ smartphone models for the US market; some with much shorter product release cycle.  Furthermore, my understanding is that Apple routinely underc-locks Ax chips to conserve battery life - and this is where Samsung Galaxy S2 falls short -, so clearly Apple is not necessarily interested in this mindless spec race.

Well, enjoy your 15-minutes. *yawn* bye.

• Reply 14 of 186

Quote:

Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

I'd be interested to know how iPhones compare to iPod Touches. Theoretically the same generation should match, right? But I've heard the iPhones are a bit faster.

the Touch has A5 proc., different from the iPhone5

• Reply 15 of 186
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Hypothetical conversation between us and Fandroids
    Us: Did you see this report? Apple is the fastest smartphone.
    Fandroid: Well it came from an Apple fan source
    Us: It's from PC Mag
    Fandroid: Well, the Galaxy 3 has a better processor
    Us: The 5 beat that phone
    Fandroid: Clearly the Moto Razr M has a better processor too
    Us: The 5 beat that too
    Fandroid: The upcoming Androids are faster
    Us: They aren't even out yet.
    Fandroid: the iPHone 5 doesn't have NFC
    Us: What does that matter in terms of speed?
    Fandroid: (sticking fingers in ears) nah! nah! nah! nah! NFC! Open! Sheep!
  • Reply 16 of 186

It's a shameful day to be a fandroid right now. I bet they will now be saying that it isn't about specs and benchmarks, it's all about the.....uhmmm....the changeable batteries! lol

• Reply 17 of 186

I overheard a Fandroid say yesterday, "the iPhone is proof that marketing can overcome an inferior product."

HA 

HA

HA

(then I took his money playing golf, money he didn't spend on his cheap **** Samdung phone).

• Reply 18 of 186

Quote:

Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

I particularly enjoyed that video at about 5:08 where he refers to the S III's case as "cheap plastic."

I liked that part too and at least the guy was honest.  :)

• Reply 19 of 186

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjlcool View Post

It's a shameful day to be a fandroid right now. I bet they will now be saying that it isn't about specs and benchmarks, it's all about the.....uhmmm....the changeable batteries! lol

I have owned every version of the iPhone.

Not once have I ever wished, or needed, to carry around more stuff to keep up with.

• Reply 20 of 186

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjlcool View Post

the changeable batteries! lol

If their devices weren't such shit, they wouldn't have to worry about changing any batteries.