Apple hiring developers to work on widely-criticized iOS 6 Maps

Comments

• Reply 141 of 187
    It clearly matters when you have incomplete product releases like Siri and Maps. This is a terrible trend.

Apple needs to axe Siri and license IBM's Watson. Since that system beat two of Jeopardy's best contestants, I'm sure it can handle any of the lame questions you folks come up with.

As far as maps go... when you have 100B in the bank, why not just buy the satellites needed to acquire your own data? Apple is supposed to be about taking risks and controlling the end-to-end experience. They've done neither here.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Gotta say, I love cartography. Specifically alternate history cartography.

We'd have to pretend this matters first.

• Reply 142 of 187

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waverunnr View Post

Apple has been using that "200 features" line forever. Good luck trying to count all 200. When I look at Apple's own iOS6 What's New Page, I don't see anything near 200 features.

http://www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/

And since they took features away, shouldn't that actually go against that number?

What does "finished" mean? It means releasing a product that has MORE features, not LESS than the previous version. It means releasing a product that actually works and isn't a buggy piece of crap

http://theamazingios6maps.tumblr.com/

I'm not the one that looks like a fool here. It's Apple for sinking so incredibly low by putting their hatred of google ahead of the interests of its users.

So, in other words, you are unable to back up your nonsensical claims? That's what i thought.

BTW, how useful is Watson outside a jeopardy tournament? Right, not so much.

• Reply 143 of 187
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Bart View Post

exactly, blind loyalty helps nobody

Mob mentality helps very few people as well.

Most people complaining don't seem like they even used the maps. The media is looking for fault. The reality is if you didn't use Google's horrible version of IOS Maps before on the iPhone, like me, you are in no worst position now. You can still use third party solutions. Further, for most people I doubt they actually will have many problems with Apple's Maps. I live in Ann Arbor Michigan, and have been testing the App out. I think it works great. It is very fast, has turn by turn, and reroutes quick. This isn't to say there aren't problems, but from my experience people are over reacting. 

• Reply 144 of 187

Apple needs to axe Siri and license IBM's Watson. Since that system beat two of Jeopardy's best contestants, I'm sure it can handle any of the lame questions you folks come up with.

As far as maps go... when you have 100B in the bank, why not just buy the satellites needed to acquire your own data? Apple is supposed to be about taking risks and controlling the end-to-end experience. They've done neither here.

Nothing at all wrong with Siri. And you can't buy your way to perfection. Doesn't matter if you throw more money at R&D.

They are taking a risk here. Remember, "They got into the phone business. We didn't get into the search business." Apple's hand had been forced, and instead of having their users deal with their competitors' maps impeded by sub-standard web tech, they went and bought map companies and made their own native map.

• Reply 145 of 187

I backed up my claims with links that provided proof of said claims.  Are you blind or just mentally deficient?

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

So, in other words, you are unable to back up your nonsensical claims? That's what i thought.

• Reply 146 of 187

Right.  OK.  There's nothing wrong with Siri.  And there's nothing wrong with Maps, either.

You people live in a fantasy world.  Must be nice.

Quote:

Nothing at all wrong with Siri. And you can't buy your way to perfection. Doesn't matter if you throw more money at R&D.

They are taking a risk here. Remember, "They got into the phone business. We didn't get into the search business." Apple's hand had been forced, and instead of having their users deal with their competitors' maps impeded by sub-standard web tech, they went and bought map companies and made their own native map.

• Reply 147 of 187

Did you even bother to watch the engineering marvels that Watson accomplished?  Not only did it answer almost all questions correctly, it understood the context of questions that were basically formed as riddles.  That is fearsome tech that is above and beyond anything close to what Siri can do. 

Quote:

• Reply 148 of 187

Quote:

I backed up my claims with links that provided proof of said claims.  Are you blind or just mentally deficient?

I see, you're just parroting things you read elsewhere. You aren't able to actually discuss it yourself except as unsupported bullet points. You've certainly confirmed all of my suspicions. Thanks.

• Reply 149 of 187

Quote:

Did you even bother to watch the engineering marvels that Watson accomplished?  Not only did it answer almost all questions correctly, it understood the context of questions that were basically formed as riddles.  That is fearsome tech that is above and beyond anything close to what Siri can do. 

Yes, very useful tech, fearsome even, if you happen to find yourself on Jeopardy.

• Reply 150 of 187

Yes, very useful tech, fearsome even, if you happen to find yourself on Jeopardy.

But not in jeopardy, as the Anti-Apple Brigade often is.

• Reply 151 of 187
    waverunnr wrote: »

anonymouse wrote: »

Yes! And Watson frequently didn't have a clue. Sometimes, Watson could not understand the simplest of questions.

Like Siri, Watson is an amazing piece of work. But neither are perfect!

Dictated, with Siri, on my iPad.
  • Reply 152 of 187
    tbell wrote: »

Mob mentality helps very few people as well.

Most people complaining don't seem like they even used the maps. The media is looking for fault. The reality is if you didn't use Google's horrible version of IOS Maps before on the iPhone, like me, you are in no worst position now. You can still use third party solutions. Further, for most people I doubt they actually will have many problems with Apple's Maps. I live in Ann Arbor Michigan, and have been testing the App out. I think it works great. It is very fast, has turn by turn, and reroutes quick. This isn't to say there aren't problems, but from my experience people are over reacting. 

Thanks, that's a useful post. I'm just a concerned Apple shareholder who expects high standards from a great company that as a substantial shareholder, I partly own. I want to know how this mess slipped through and who if anyone is being held accountable.

Im notselling my shares, but im also not sitting back like these mice that blindly accept less than Apple's usual high standards.
  • Reply 153 of 187

Quote:

Thanks, that's a useful post. I'm just a concerned Apple shareholder who expects high standards from a great company that as a substantial shareholder, I partly own. I want to know how this mess slipped through and who if anyone is being held accountable.

Im notselling my shares, but im also not sitting back like these mice that blindly accept less than Apple's usual high standards.

You're the worst troll ever, you can't even keep your own story straight.

• Reply 154 of 187

Quote:

You're the worst troll ever, you can't even keep your own story straight.

Ha ha ha, this is funny, your forum name is anonymouse - you are such a loyal mouse. The best you can do is call me a troll and say my story is not straight ? One day you may get to own apple shares but until then you are a loser mouse. 

• Reply 155 of 187
    mcrsmcrs Posts: 172member

Watson is an AI flavored "natural language parser" . As such, the more terse the question you give it, the more possibility it screws up the answer, or perhaps it will just have no clues how to answer it correctly. Let's talk hypothetically about another imaginary Jeopardy! contest. One of Jeopardy! categories during this contest was "A Weapon of War". Now, supposed one of the clues in the category was "Pineapple". we can be 99% sure that Watson will have a hard time to find the fitting question for this answer within an allotted time. Watson will be limited to just three words, i.e weapon, war and pineapple, to find a suitable correct question for this category. 

Watson itself is also not a voice recognition program. In other words, for Watson to be better than SIRI or other similar applications, it has to incorporate a natural voice recognition technology as well. Some IBM labs have played with this capability since early 1980's. Now, the combination of these two technology will be the one capable to supplant SIRI and others like it. 

P.S. The answer is:

??????????????

???? ?????

?????????

???????

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Yes! And Watson frequently didn't have a clue. Sometimes, Watson could not understand the simplest of questions.

Like Siri, Watson is an amazing piece of work. But neither are perfect!

Dictated, with Siri, on my iPad.

• Reply 156 of 187

Quote:

You're the worst troll ever, you can't even keep your own story straight

is this the best you can do? my story is straight.

• Reply 157 of 187

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

This is ridiculous - as is the "widely criticized" headline.

SOME people have problems, but some people have no problems. And some people have problems with Google Maps.

So where's the evidence that Apple's maps is significantly worse than Google's? Picking and choosing problems isn't a useful comparison - especially when you're picking problems with Apple's system and ignoring problems with Google's system. So far, it's the usual click-bait crap. Someone finds a problem and blows it up into 1,000 times worse than it is. Then, after the dust settles, it turns out that it wasn't that bad, after all.

Map-gate, indeed.

JR, I think once you move out of US, Apple Maps significantly deteriorate. Here in India it is practically useless. Anything I search for cannot be found and I cannot get directions between places. Of course they will first fix whatever issues they have in the US and then slowly move on to the smaller markets, but that still means that Maps on the iPhone is crippled in India till such time that the seach and directions are fixed. When that happens, considering how small the Indian market is for Apple, is anybody's guess.

I assume other people living in smaller markets may experience the same issues.

• Reply 158 of 187

Quote:

Originally Posted by msalganik View Post

Well I am an apple fan... just got a new macbook pro, I've got an iPhone 4S and am planing on getting the iPad mini if it materializes. That out of the way, the new maps is bs in regards to content. I don't say this to hate on Apple, but when a company does something bad, I want them to know about it, otherwise they have no motivation to improve. They should've allowed for a year where the native google apps stuck around, sans turn by turn, along side the apple maps and NEXT year (iOS7), when apple maps would have the data it needs, then it would fly solo. This however was just plain dumb, and I hope that it is a reflection of conditions outside of their control (contract options with google) and not a sign of myopic, dim-witted decision making on the part of Apple execs. That said, I hope they don't just improve to fix bugs. I hope they swing for the fences and have it offer all the data/features (maybe not street view) that Google offers and more but in a faster, more user friendly iteration. Push the envelope guys... you've got the cash. On a side note, cut the @#$! with soldering in components like you did on your MPB. Design decisions like that kept me from spending more money of the retina macbook pro and getting the "old" unibody version instead. If you discontinue the unibodies and don't change this whole soldering deal with the retinas, I'm afraid my love affair with the mac will be over. I love your OS X, but I refuse to be forced into paying extortionist prices for ram and SSD (which are inferior)... I'll pay a premium for the apple computer but I want the freedom to extend it's life with basic upgrades later. Your computers are really nice but they aren't precious jewels that your users dare not open... and that's coming from a dedicated apple fan. 

I see this crap so often I just have to respond to it even though this is a dead thread (and you're obviously a paid troll, complete with boilerplate "I own umpty-jillion Apple devices" from the supplied playbook.)

All the changes in Apple products for the last several years have been in pursuit of rigidity and solidity at all costs, and the devil take the hindmost. I would see the lists of problems that people were complaining about in their macs (well, laptops, mostly), and the vast majority seemed to me to be due to broken connections. Apple knew why they were getting a unit back, and obviously drew the same conclusion. Connections are the root of all evil—plug-in connections like RAM are the worst, obviously, where the conductors can oxidize, dirt and dust can intrude, etc., but soldered connections are a problem as well, especially with the brittle lead-free solder everybody has to use nowadays.

The problem is case flex. Watch people picking up their laptops by one corner to lay them on a table or hand them to somebody else. Now do that a few thousand times and metal fatigue will do the rest—a broken connection to a port or a disk drive or whatever. There are two possible solutions: make the case extremely rigid so that there is no flex, or attach every internal piece loosely enough that the stress never gets communicated to their connections—let rattling and vibration do the job instead.

Most laptop makers seem to have chosen the second course, Apple chose the first. The came up with the unibody case, which is rigid enough that case flex is no longer a problem. Notice that they introduced the new case even though the lithium-polymer battery that could be molded to fit every little oddball cranny of the interior wasn't ready when it was supposed to be. They put out the unibody case with the old cans-in-a-box battery even though this meant they had to sacrifice something to fit it in. They chose the Firewire port, and decided to listen to a year of bitching and moaning about that rather than sell another years worth of bendy laptops with connections breaking all over the place.

Once that problem was dealt with, it was time to eliminate another huge failure point, the plug-in type of connection like RAM and disk drives use. They carefully scrutinized what percentage of users actually ever upgraded their system (vs. saying they're going to) and found it to be very, very small. The obvious decision is to make people decide how much memory and storage space they want and solder it in. The gain in reliability and longevity is easily worth the (usually imaginary) loss in upgradability. These new MacBook Pros and Airs with the soldered-in memory and flash storage will probably outlive their original owners. Of course, some people are going to complain that they can't modify the machine themselves, but it's a vanishingly small minority who actually would. (Plus a larger group who are absolutely convinced they would, even though they don't.)

• Reply 159 of 187
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Sell your shares. I will likely buy them as I have held Apple for fifteen years. One thing I liked about Jobs was he could care less about shareholders and instead focused on building one of the best companies. Worrying about shareholders has ruined many great companies. 

You somehow act like Apple had a choice but to ship its own Map application and that every Board member and executive wasn't aware of the product. Nobody is going to be held accountable because as Apple said it is a work in progress and it works great for many people, myself included. Instead of complaining go use the App and use the useful tool to report all the supposed errors you must be finding. I haven't found one that I haven't found in every other Map app. 

• Reply 160 of 187
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

Quote:

Yeah, you people sure do love to lie, don't you?

So I can laugh at it, what was the second one? 

Calling that out specifically… hmm…

Better just go buy a PC now. You don't get it.

I think this site needs some sort of 'Armchair CEO' filter:

Filter out all posts that contain any derivative of "This wouldn't have happened if Steve were still alive."

Filter out all posts that contain the word "skeuomorphic."

Filter out any post that starts with a list of Apple kit owned by the writer, who mistakenly believes it adds some sort of legitimacy to what he's saying.