Apple's iPhone 5 is "fastest smartphone in the land"

Comments

• Reply 61 of 186
    fazzter wrote: »
    I think I read that to keep your unlimited plan you had to pay the non subsidized price for the iphone 5? I am in the same boat as you and would love to hear a definitive answer.

Exactly, and right now I'm using LTE and I'm not going to be happy if some fee comes out of nowhere that I'm not expecting
  • Reply 62 of 186
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Which raises the question, why did Samsung gimp the US version?

For the LTE.  I don't think the international SIII supports LTE (at least in initial versions).  What several articles I read about it said was that the 1.5ghz dual core chip would work with the LTE chips they were using in the US while the quad core 1.4ghz chips would not or some such thing.

• Reply 63 of 186
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Its OK as a fallback, but it is not nearly as smooth as a native app.

I believe it has something to do with the LTE drivers, the International quad core version does not have LTE.

• Reply 64 of 186

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macncheez View Post

You should really hop into an Apple store and try one out, just for a few minutes. You'll be picking up your jaw off the floor and your wallet out of your pocket, screaming like a girl: "Shut up and take my money!"

That day will come.  It always does.  Apple has gladly assisted me many times with EFT's from my bank account to theirs.

• Reply 65 of 186
    fazzter wrote: »
    What a ridiculous reply....seriously!
    Yeah jefe, but it was funny!
  • Reply 66 of 186

Quote:

Originally Posted by faZZter View Post

What a ridiculous reply....seriously!

Seriously, about as ridiculous the post it was in response to.

Apple's new maps have a report feature.

Find something wrong, drop a pin, report what exactly is wrong.

If enough people around the world do this then the better the maps will be.

That's called crowd sourcing.

I have already reported a couple of errors.

btw here's a screenshot of a pretty complex road junction, Australia seems to have pretty good flyover views.

• Reply 67 of 186

Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

For the LTE.  I don't think the international SIII supports LTE (at least in initial versions).  What several articles I read about it said was that the 1.5ghz dual core chip would work with the LTE chips they were using in the US while the quad core 1.4ghz chips would not or some such thing.

Maybe a fourth (and fifth?) antenna would help.

• Reply 68 of 186

I love this ad, too.  Simplistic, classic Apple.  Not like some other over dramatized, stab your competition, spec spewing, insecure ads of late.  Apple sure knows how to make a 30 sec point across so effectively! 

• Reply 69 of 186

When Google maps premiered on the iPhone more than five years ago, directions from Hawaii to Australia entailed driving across the Pacific Ocean.

Images of where we lived and worked were outdated, and some didn't exist at all.

Maps needed developing, bad directions were widespread, and maps weren't ads.

It was funny then.  It was Google, and iOS users were quick to help improve maps.

Relying on global partners, Apple has delivered a mobile maps product on iOS devices.

To Google it's laughable.  To iOS users it's time to embrace and improve Apple maps.

• Reply 70 of 186
    runbuh wrote: »
    Enjoy all the power with a phone that comes with the cosmetic damage already started for you and with maps that are more than a bit wonky.
    I'll stick with my 4 and 5.1.1 until you ultra-fanboys get all the kinks worked out.

What cosmetic damage? My iPhone 5 arrived in flawless condition. Stop reading small-sample internet forums.
  • Reply 71 of 186

Quote:

Originally Posted by dapple View Post

When Google maps premiered on the iPhone more than five years ago, directions from Hawaii to Australia entailed driving across the Pacific Ocean.

Images of where we lived and worked were outdated, and some didn't exist at all.

It was funny then.  It was Google, and iOS users were quick to help improve maps.

Relying on global partners, Apple has delivered a mobile maps product on iOS devices.

To Google it's laughable.  To iOS users it's time to embrace and improve Apple maps.

They tell you to use a kayak, just for fun I got directions to a Facebook invite in New York, here's a screenshot I took a couple of months ago:-

• Reply 72 of 186
    solipsismx wrote: »
    You mean the people that read this site and have already bought a new iPhone or the 5-8 million (est.) average people who have bought and are buying an iPhone this weekend?

Even some of us who read the site have not purchased one yet. I will get it in Feb. when my contract renews. I kind of like building the hype for myself. Right now I have the iPhone 4. Still works fine and is running on iOS 6.

I'm also making my own experiment! I am very curious as to when I will see an iPhone 5 "in the wild" as you folk say. I'm curious as to how their reaction will be when I ask about it. I'm curious to know if I will notice that it's different. I'm also curious how my reaction will be when I finally see it first hand "in the wild".

If this doesn't happen by February then I will just call AT&T and get a new one.

I make my own games to keep things exciting.... At least kind of exciting!

Also, some of us need to buy the new one in a different fiscal quarter to keep numbers looking good. One in several million doesn't look so great, but it does count.
  • Reply 73 of 186
    vadania wrote: »
    Even some of us who read the site have not purchased one yet. I will get it in Feb. when my contract renews. I kind of like building the hype for myself. Right now I have the iPhone 4. Still works fine and is running on iOS 6.
    I'm also making my own experiment! I am very curious as to when I will see an iPhone 5 "in the wild" as you folk say. I'm curious as to how their reaction will be when I ask about it. I'm curious to know if I will notice that it's different. I'm also curious how my reaction will be when I finally see it first hand "in the wild".
    If this doesn't happen by February then I will just call AT&T and get a new one.
    I make my own games to keep things exciting.... At least kind of exciting!
    Also, some of us need to buy the new one in a different fiscal quarter to keep numbers looking good. One in several million doesn't look so great, but it does count.

My reaction to playing with one while the very cute Apple Store employee was on hold with Verizon CS for 20 minutes wasn't too exciting. It looks awkward after 5 years with the iPhone. It's lighter and thinner but it wasn't anything that wowed me. Maybe it was the Apple security cable on the device that was taking away from the effect because after using mine I have been surprised a few times at how light it is.

The display is certainly better with the thinner GG2, better color representation and removal of the touch matrix being over the display. The quality is really great but that also didn't make me say wow because I expect that from the iPhone even though this really is tops for any Apple product.

My four biggest "Wow!"s are are 1) from how small the Lightening connector is, 2) seeing it sync faster than before (should we expect faster NAND?), 3) being told it charges faster because the dynamic pins and charger can power over more pins, 4) how incredibly fast the system is compared to my iPhone 4.

Even the >30Mbps up and >20MBps down for LTE on Verizon wasn't a "Wow!" factor because I'm use to that with my iPad (3). Not that knowing about the device and having experience with other Apple products means it takes away its usefulness. It's still absolutely wonderful upgrade.
  • Reply 74 of 186

Quote:

Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

That was an absolutely terrible test, in my opinion. Can you really imagine anyone "dropping" their phone like that? A person wouldn't just sudden move their hand away from their pocket or ear and let the phone go. He dropped them face down almost every time, when I imagine most people drop it onto a corner. When he took the SIII out of his pocket, it looked like he practically flung it. Now what would have been hilarious would be if when he was showing it the last time at the end and the SIII got stuck in his pocket, it really did slip out of his hand.

He also seems surprised the iPhone screen is made of such durable stuff when they go out and tell people exactly what it's made of in the first place.

And how is it not a big deal when your phone goes flying in two different directions, even if the back case is just cheap plastic? This guy is weird.

I think the videos are meant to promote their website over anything else. Sort of like those "Will it blend?" videos that are made to promote those blenders in the age of YouTube and viral videos.

But yeah, for an ostensibly pro-Android site, the guy is hilariously surprised the iPhone 5 is as durable as it was. What he was he expecting? To embarrass Apple? The 5 is the fastest and most well-engineered smartphone on the planet.

• Reply 75 of 186

Quote:

Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Designs like this CPU scare intel because imagine what they are doing for notebook cpu's that we haven't seen...

I sometimes wonder about this...  The x86 started out as a CISC CPU, but in recent iterations they have added RISC capability to gain speed and processing power.  As I understand it, Intel processors include 1 or more decoders where the x86 CISC instructions are decoded into RISC instructions, which are then executed giving the speed and power benefits of RISC.

I wonder if it is possible to preprocess the x86 binaries with some kind of SIFT application giving RISC-only binaries.

MSFT has ported much of Office to run on their ARM Surface RT tablets.  UI issues aside, it should be relatively easy to port Office 2013, to an ARM chip like the A6 (or follow-on) running in laptop or a desktop.

It would seem that Apple has a lead here, in that they already have [most of] OS X, their desktop OS, running on ARM.

To state it bluntly:  What would be the impact if Apple could offer an OSX ARM Laptop that only runs only the MS Office Suite -- no other legacy Wintel apps?  Would Office alone satisfy the needs of a majority of Windows users.

Of course, I assume the hardware would  run OS X ARM -- likely, Apple already has full OS X running on ARM.  Then OS X developers, with a simple recompile, could convert their OS X apps to ARM. In a similar way, iOS developers could recompile their apps (if necessary) to run in a window on OSX ARM.

Here's the thing... I am not sure that this is the best way to go.  The success of the iPad makes me wonder if we need to abandon the "complexity" of the desktop OS (multiple overlapping windows, massive multitasking, etc.) in favor of a more simpler iPad-like approach...  Say, add a Finder-like capability, a few background tasks, optional 2-up apps (windows)?

• Reply 76 of 186
    jeffdm wrote: »
    Its OK as a fallback, but it is not nearly as smooth as a native app.
    What is sad is that you don't know the reason and have to ask. This is what happens when you are 2 years behind the times on tech for a phone.
    I do like all the copying Apple did in ios6 though. VIP Mail? LOL Gee, so original. Notification center is still just a clone of the Android original. Hell, Apple ran out of ideas and has to rehash the same design every year. Same with ios. Looks the samr today as it did in 2007. Yawn. And i see you still cant do the most basic of functions like attach files to an email. Or look at a single file or folder. How about connecting some devices like a mouse or maybe a game controller? No?
    Apple maps is just plain crap. Most of the buildings and roads in downtown LA melted. Apple couldn't even map their own HQ right! And battery life is the same as the 4S, so in other words, it's shitty. S3 lasts several hours longer, and of course, in 2 seconds you have 100% power again. The speed and smoothness of the S3 puts the crappy stretched turd of an iphone to shame. And of course, Apple is wants to charge you $900 off contract for a 64gb phone and $400 for one on contract. I hope you get a reach around and some ky with that raping, for a phone that is on par with a 2 year old Android phone. But hey, at least you have some benchmarks you can fall back on to cling to the belief you have a good phone.

I find you ifanboys entertaining. So easily impressed with an antiquated phone and stole operating system that is severely lacking. Anyway, you can get back to jerking each other off and swallowing more Apple juice.
  • Reply 77 of 186
    dapple wrote: »

One of the best posts I've seen in a while!

Google's maps are older, more refined and have more wisdom so to speak. Apple is smarter and learns faster but doesn't have the experience or wisdom that Google has in this area of expertise.

If you had a child that remembers everything and is more intelligent than you, they still do not inherit wisdom or past experiences.

i.e. "Roger will walk you to your car." "You know I remember where my car is." "Yes, but you're pretty, and my angel so Roger needs to walk you there." You understand quick when Roger is fighting and then later informs you that the person didn't decide to arrive just to fight him.

Point being, google took all of the punches right up to now. Apple can not replicate, nor translate past experiences. They just know. It's wisdom.

I'm also guessing you don't really know what it's like to be punched until it actually happens...
  • Reply 78 of 186

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

That a DUAL-core iPhone chip can run rings around a QUAD-core android-phone chip. 

But 4 is greater than 2! Therefore my Android phone is better than your iPhone! Nevermind that mine is slower, more laggy, worse built and looks like shit, my screen is bigger!

I don't even need a home entertainment system, I just hang my Android phone on the wall, and watch movies there all day long. It saves a hell of a lot of money, especially for somebody like me who can't afford a 50" LCD. And don't even make me mention all of the wild rooting that I've been doing lately on the phone. It's not like girls are interested in me or anything, they usually just laugh when I pull out that huge phone, and I find rooting to be an interesting hobby. Don't underestimate re-arranging your desktop until you've tried it! Hell, it's not like there are a lot of good games or worthwhile apps that I can use, so moving icons around will have to do for now.

I also spend most of my free time on Apple forums, because those iFans need to be set straight, and I hate Apple so much that it makes sense to constantly talk about Apple products. 

LOL +++

• Reply 79 of 186
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Why have we not yet seen an iPhone 5 advertisement that communicates the true value of owning one?

"Your phone owes my phone One Billion Dollars!"

• Reply 80 of 186
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

My reaction to playing with one while the very cute Apple Store employee...

Pictures, or it didn't happen.