Wish list for the NEXT MacBook Pros (2013)....

Comments

• Reply 41 of 61
    13" Retina Model
    Better Battery
    Standard SSD
    802.11ac
    Yes, Siri
    More than one input for headphones/speakers
    Better sound system (like the anniversary Mac)
    Maybe a 17" Retina with a number pad on the keyboard =)?
  • Reply 42 of 61
    tailpipetailpipe Posts: 345member

Whatever the new 13" Retina MacBook Pro offers, it cannot come soon enough. The existing 13" MacBook Pro is too heavy to lug around airports on a regular basis while the MacBook Air simply doesn't have the power or screen quality to match the rMBP 15" model that power users need. 

I would like to see 1 TB SSD offered and I just don't care what it costs. 

• Reply 43 of 61
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    tailpipe wrote: »
    Whatever the new 13" Retina MacBook Pro offers, it cannot come soon enough. The existing 13" MacBook Pro is too heavy to lug around airports on a regular basis while the MacBook Air simply doesn't have the power or screen quality to match the rMBP 15" model that power users need. 

I would like to see 1 TB SSD offered and I just don't care what it costs. 

Interesting because I see cost as a big deal for me. The current retinaMBP is just a tad too expensive for me to consider this year and probably next year. Interestingly besides screen size (old eyes) the thing that bothers me about the AIRs is storage capability. AIrs simply don't have the storage chops if you expect to hold the machine for a few years. My MBP is a 2008 and I'd like to keep it until at least 2013. I don't see many people being able to effectively use AIRs 5 years out, most because of that storage issue.
  • Reply 44 of 61

I would like to see a 17" Macbook Pro with Retina Display and at lest 1.5 

TB of SSD

• Reply 45 of 61

Originally Posted by tommy tomkins View Post

I would like to see a 17" Macbook Pro with Retina Display and at lest 1.5 

TB of SSD

The 17" is dead.

• Reply 46 of 61
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

13" MBPr with a dedicated GPU.  Hopefully we get that this year.

Quote:

AIrs simply don't have the storage chops if you expect to hold the machine for a few years.

Between iCloud, 802.11n and Thunderbolt/USB3 that's not a problem for me anymore.  If I need more fast disk space I can attach an external TB or USB3 SSD drive.  Otherwise attaching to something like the Seagate GoFlex Satellite should be good enough since that feeds my iPads as well.  Even less of an issue when we get 802.11ac across all the products.

Mostly 256GB is plenty for OS, base apps and normal files.  It's my pictures, movies, virtual machines that chew up vast amounts of disk space.

The 13" MBA + GoFlex Satellite + iPad combo is still smaller than most alternative travel combos.  And I can connect the Satellite via USB3.

That said my "optimal" machine would be a 13" MBPr with 1GB 650M, 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM and a quad i7 for $1799.

That's probably too much to ask.  Dual i7. :)

A bit bigger than the MBA but powerful enough to be a desktop replacement when attached to a 27" display. 

• Reply 47 of 61
    Who gives a shit? I got my Retina macbook right now, and I won't be buying a new one for atleast 4 years, there's nothing they could do that would get me to upgrade.
  • Reply 48 of 61
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    After a long wait, I finally decided to go to my local Apple Store and see the retina MacBook Pro myself and I must say that it is very nice. Looking at it up close, the display was very crisp and sharp and the bottom was not as thin as I expected.
  • Reply 49 of 61
    You are a brave man Winter!!! I avoid the mall with the Apple store for fear of buying something I shouldn't.
    winter wrote: »
    After a long wait, I finally decided to go to my local Apple Store and see the retina MacBook Pro myself and I must say that it is very nice. Looking at it up close, the display was very crisp and sharp and the bottom was not as thin as I expected.
  • Reply 50 of 61
    wizard69 wrote: »
    You are a brave man Winter!!! I avoid the mall with the Apple store for fear of buying something I shouldn't.

Haha. Well the only reason I go up to that mall (by the way it's the Freehold Raceway Mall in Freehold, NJ) is because they have an Apple Store. There is no other reason to go up there. I buy all my clothes online so I don't need to go Macy's, Sears, etc. I don't go to Gamestop, I don't go to the food court, so yeah I just drive up check things out and let that be that.

If I had the money to throw away, I would get a BTO rMBP with 16 GB of RAM and at least 512 GB of storage though I have no need now.
  • Reply 51 of 61
    I have a 17 inch MacBook Pro. I bought it in 2009. I love it. I was bummed when the 17 inch MacBook Pro was discontinued.

I really like the retina MacBook Pro. I've seen it a few times at the Apple stores and have almost bought it. But then there's the Internet. It exposes everything even if it's not flattering.

I read reports of the screens exhibiting a yellow tint, the screens having image retention (If you get one that has an LG panel), the product creaking, there being lag (which seems to have been resolved the latest version of OS X), there being scratches and dents and dead pixels. I hear about how people have gone through five new MacBook Pros and are still having issues right out-of-the-box. It scares me. I mean I don't want to spend over two grand on a laptop and have to keep bringing it back for this issue or that issue. For the money you're spending on this computer I think there should be very few reported issues on the Internet.

So in response to this thread specifically on what I would like to see for the next version of the retina MacBook Pro, it would be that there are less to no issues with it. The screen has pure whites, there's no scratches from the factory, there's no image retention, and oh yeah, it has a faster Haswell processor, better graphics, and 802.11ac.

I may get the current model. But I'm leery of getting one that has issues.
  • Reply 52 of 61

Time for an upgrade!

The internet also gives voice to every idiot that ever walked the earth.    You need to take these reports with a grain of salt.   More so you need to consider that Apple sells millions of these and as such things will get past quality control of damaged in transit.    The good thing is that Apple stands behind the product.

About the only thing I see here that has any validity is the issue with the screen.   Even that is overblown by people that can't be satisfied.    Think about it somebody returned a retina MBP 5 times, it would seem that the odds of getting that many bad laptops in a row is pretty extreme.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

I have a 17 inch MacBook Pro. I bought it in 2009. I love it. I was bummed when the 17 inch MacBook Pro was discontinued.

I really like the retina MacBook Pro. I've seen it a few times at the Apple stores and have almost bought it. But then there's the Internet. It exposes everything even if it's not flattering.

I read reports of the screens exhibiting a yellow tint, the screens having image retention (If you get one that has an LG panel), the product creaking, there being lag (which seems to have been resolved the latest version of OS X), there being scratches and dents and dead pixels. I hear about how people have gone through five new MacBook Pros and are still having issues right out-of-the-box. It scares me. I mean I don't want to spend over two grand on a laptop and have to keep bringing it back for this issue or that issue. For the money you're spending on this computer I think there should be very few reported issues on the Internet.

So in response to this thread specifically on what I would like to see for the next version of the retina MacBook Pro, it would be that there are less to no issues with it. The screen has pure whites, there's no scratches from the factory, there's no image retention, and oh yeah, it has a faster Haswell processor, better graphics, and 802.11ac.

I may get the current model. But I'm leery of getting one that has issues.

Figuring out the optimal time to upgrade is tough.   The old adage of buy when you need it makes good sense and then let the chips fall were they may.   Right now I'm letting economics dictate my not purchasing a new Mac.   That may mean Haswell will be here before I'm ready to buy or my MBP could give up the ghost (it has taken a beating).    Look at it this way though, next year just means a new model with new problems.   You really never get away from the issues of new product glitches.   

• Reply 53 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Time for an upgrade!

Maybe.  This computer has held up extremely well.  I replaced the hard drive with an SSD a few years ago.  I had the battery replaced awhile back because I got it to 1,000 charge cycles and it started failing.  It's just that at some point I'd like to be able to do the AirPlay mirroring to an Apple TV, I'm also annoyed the Mini Displayport on this model doesn't output sound so hooking up to a HDTV is a pain without the extra audio cable.  Part of me wants to wait to see what comes with the 13-inch retina MacBook Pro if I'm forced to downsize....  I'm also a little leery about getting a computer that I can't easily upgrade especially since it's $2,000.  I don't think I'd be as leery if the thing wasn't so expensive.

• Reply 54 of 61

So, where are we on the retina 13" MacBook Pro. I had hoped it would come along with the iPhone 5. Will it launch before Christmas or are we looking at 2013? Best guesses, people. 

• Reply 55 of 61
    It needs to come out soon. Apple needs other news besides lawsuits and the iPhone.
  • Reply 56 of 61
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

In your opinion don't you think it is overpriced. Over 2 grand for a 15 inch MBP.

• Reply 57 of 61

Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

In your opinion don't you think it is overpriced. Over 2 grand for a 15 inch MBP.

By definition, no, it isn't overpriced.

• Reply 58 of 61
    In 2008, the the uMBP 15" was $1,999 and you only had 256 MB of graphics memory on the 9600M GT. $2,499 got you 512 MB.
  • Reply 59 of 61
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

There are a number of expensive notebooks on the market. The macbook pros are the only ones that come to mind that could truly be considered mass market items, but others do exist. Grabbing the $1800 versions on refurb doesn't work out that bad if you're trying to save cash on it. Macs have always carried a high cost of entry. They've just never fallen below certain price barriers.

• Reply 60 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttollerton View Post

Now that we have the new Retina MacBook Pros, is it too early to start dreaming about next year's update? For those of us passing on the delicious, spanking new 15" MBPw/R, I say "No."

In additions to the amazing new form factor, USB 3.0, sound system, and SSD, I'd like to see just a few more enhancements with the "Haswell" model next year:

- improved battery life: Haswell is supposed to be a great new architecture designed to drastically improve laptop battery performance. Let's get these MBPs to 10 hours. image

- 802.11ac: 5G wifi will not only offer better wireless performance for AirPlay and wireless transfers between SSD storage devices, but it will also help to achieve improved battery life.

- Siri: I know this is obviously coming with a future edition of OS X, but a significant prerequisite is sufficient microphone hardware to correctly understand the speaker...I hope this hardware makes its way into the next model (and Siri into the next version of OS X).

Any other thoughs?

Improved battery life - plenty of laptops get 10+ hours.  Just get a business laptop from Lenovo, HP, or Dell - all offer larger standard batteries, and if you use a slice battery as well you can get 20-30 hours of battery life.

Voice recognition - currently available laptop microphones are perfectly up to the task.  Apple just needs to actually offer the software.