Starbucks promises support for iOS 6 Passbook at end of September

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The official Starbucks application for iPhone will be updated at the end of September to add support for Passbook in iOS 6.

The update on Passbook support from Starbucks was revealed on the coffee chain's official Twitter account on Friday, as noticed by iDownloadblog. Once the update is made available, customers will be able to access their Starbucks store card through Passbook when visiting one of the chain's retail locations.

Passbook

Starbucks support has been shown by Apple in demonstrations of Passbook and iOS 6. But when iOS 6 became available for download this week, the coffee maker was not among the list of companies supporting Passbook at launch.

In fact, the initial list of Passbook supported apps in the iOS 6 App Store is missing a number of companies that had been advertised, including Apple's own retail store application. Since Wednesday, support for Target, American Airlines and United Airlines have been added, but Delta Airlines, Amtrak, W Hotels, and Starwood Hotels remain missing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23

So why does it say Passbook  on iOS6.  I have iOS6 on my iPad with no Passbook.  Who would use Passbook on an iPad? I sure would like to!  To use or not to use should be my choice.  Passbook does not work on iOS6. It works on iPhones.

• Reply 2 of 23
    auburnj wrote: »
    So why does it say Passbook  on iOS6.  I have iOS6 on my iPad with no Passbook.  Who would use Passbook on an iPad? I sure would like to!  To use or not to use should be my choice.  Passbook does not work on iOS6. It works on iPhones.

Certainly those iPad owners with no iPhones.
  • Reply 3 of 23

Originally Posted by auburnj View Post

It works on iPhones.

And Macs. Just not the iPad.

• Reply 4 of 23
    Yes, too bad that it does not work on iPad. And the mac support is still in its early days... has quite some bugs
  • Reply 5 of 23
    auburnj wrote: »
    Passbook also runs on iPod touches running iOS 6.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    I sure hope it comes soon.

I did notice that the iPhone demos in the Apple Store have Starbucks in the Passbook app along with plenty of other passes.

And Macs. Just not the iPad.

I haven't seen the Passbook app on the Mac. All I've seen are a simple interface to send it to your phone via iCloud if you receive them in a message.
  • Reply 7 of 23

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I haven't seen the Passbook app on the Mac. All I've seen are a simple interface to send it to your phone via iCloud if you receive them in a message.

Well, yeah, but that's better than the iPad! What happens when you do the same thing on an iPad, anything at all?

• Reply 8 of 23
    Well, yeah, but that's better than the iPad! What happens when you do the same thing on an iPad, anything at all?

It doesn't auto send to the iPhone but if you are getting it on your iPad you probably also got it on your iPhone. The point is that the Passbook app is ONLY on the iPhone.

I think they'll likely expand it after a spell but maybe not, because Cards is only on the iPhone still and that surely would be more useful on the iPad than Passbook.
  • Reply 9 of 23

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I think they'll likely expand it after a spell but maybe not, because Cards is only on the iPhone still and that surely would be more useful on the iPad than Passbook.

OH. OH. OH. OH. ABOUT THAT. OH. YEAH. CARDS. So I go to update it on my iPad, right? I'm happy they've finally done an iPad-native interface and want to see that. 

… "Requires iOS 6". WHAT. WHA~T. So I can't even get the iPad interface?! What could Cards possibly be using that actually requires iOS 6 APIs?!

• Reply 10 of 23
    OH. OH. OH. OH. ABOUT THAT. OH. YEAH. CARDS. So I go to update it on my iPad, right? I'm happy they've finally done an iPad-native interface and want to see that. 

… "Requires iOS 6". WHAT. WHA~T. So I can't even get the iPad interface?! What could Cards possibly be using that actually requires iOS 6 APIs?!

LOL No idea but it's seems odd they took so long to update that, of all apps to be Universal.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    I can't wait for the Apple Store gift cards to come out on Passbook!!
  • Reply 12 of 23
    [LIST=1]
    [*]
    [*]
    [*]
    [/LIST]
    And what about Southwest Airlines? Let's get on the ball SWA. I just moved the Doc's cross country travel this week to United Airlines over the lack of Passbook support.... And the Doc bought an upgraded seat through the app on United

This is the kind of functionality that makes a difference to customers -- and causes them to take their money and go someplace else if it's not supported
  • Reply 13 of 23
    Wold you really be willing to hand over your iPad to a Starbucks clerk? Would it even fit under there scanner to get scanned ? I understand your point of people taking iPads to Starbucks but how would they scale down the barcode so there scanner would read it ? I mean you can't have a 9.7 in bar code
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Wold you really be willing to hand over your iPad to a Starbucks clerk? Would it even fit under there scanner to get scanned ? I understand your point of people taking iPads to Starbucks but how would they scale down the barcode so there scanner would read it ? I mean you can't have a 9.7 in bar code

You don't need to hand it over. It would fit on all the countertop scanners I've seen at Sbux. The reader can read a larger barcode if it's in view so being farther away is fine, but that's not really an issue since the barcode doesn't have to be enlarged just because it's on the iPad.

I agree that it's not a necessary feature, especially for a first fun of the feature that is designed around the iPhone, since it's designed to replace things you carry on your keychain and wallet, both things you tend to carry in your pocket... like an iPhone. Even if you carry them in your purse they tend to be in some wallet or keychain and the iPad is too big for most purses. If we get an iPad Mini I could see that having Passbook... and then eventually the regular iPad.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    It doesn't auto send to the iPhone but if you are getting it on your iPad you probably also got it on your iPhone. The point is that the Passbook app is ONLY on the iPhone.

Cards is already on iPad.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    matrix07 wrote: »
    Cards is already on iPad.

That's what TS said earlier. Note that it only came with v2.0 from this past Wednesday. When Cards debuted a year ago it was only on the iPhone. Always seemed odd for this app not to be Universal. I assume it was for a reason that was not technical. They certainly did a bang up job by making most (if not all) of their App Store apps iPhone 5 native.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Possibly I am the only one that thinks coupons are for cheapskates and fools with nothing better to do with their time and that "loyalty programs" are thinly disguised promotions who's goal is to get you to spend more money than you otherwise would?  

My "Passbook" will likely remain empty along with my "Newstand" and join the "Stocks" app and the "Notes" app in that obscure folder on the last page where I put all the crap that can't be deleted. 

• Reply 18 of 23
    gazoobee wrote: »
    Possibly I am the only one that thinks coupons are for cheapskates and fools with nothing better to do with their time and that "loyalty programs" are thinly disguised promotions who's goal is to get you to spend more money than you otherwise would?  

My "Passbook" will likely remain empty along with my "Newstand" and join the "Stocks" app and the "Notes" app in that obscure folder on the last page where I put all the crap that can't be deleted. 

Note you are responding on the thread for the Starbucks article. You charge up your Sbux card and then use that. It's tied to your Sbux app on your iPhone and I presume it will work the same with Passbook except that will pop up when I get within a dozen meters or so of an Sbux. That sounds damn convenient to me.

I am not big into coupons but they are handy. I certainly don't spend my Sunday's cutting out coupons from the newspaper. I do get emails from Banana Republic and will by cloths from them when they offer a 40% off coupon (about every 2 weeks). That's a pretty big savings and all I have to do is shop on a certain day. If saving money with little to no effort makes me cheap then I guess I'm cheap but I'd worry more about the people that refuse to tip more than 12% to someone in the food service industry making below the standard minimum wage.

My Stocks app is populated although use the Stocks Widget on my Mac more. I use Notes and Reminders extensively. It's great the way they all sync via iCloud almost instantly. NewsStand, however, has never been used on my iPhone or iPad and likely never will.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Call me not impressed. Their current Starbucks App crashes constantly to the point of being unusable. Uninstalled it weeks ago. For now I am carrying an old-fashioned plastic card.
  • Reply 20 of 23

iOS 6 passbook is like user's personnel details in a card like interface. Really a great updation by Apple this year.