Some users find scuffs, nicks on newly-purchased iPhone 5s [u]

Comments

• Reply 161 of 267

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

The psychology of a shiny new toy.

A few years back I took delivery of a $50k SUV only to find a scratch on the wood work around the central console. The dealership seemed to be surprised I insisted this was replaced but they did it. The wood not the vehicle I should add. Now a few years on I have small dings and scratches in many places and take it in stride. It's funny how we react to anything new not being perfect but it is a normal reaction I think especially on something newly unwrapped. Looking back the guys at the dealership acted like they thought I was an idiot for making a fuss over a tiny scratch but I confess I did and no doubt would again.

Here is my theory ...

I suspect if we were alone on an island we'd not care but I think it maybe the thought of showing off our new toy to a friend only to hear them gleefully point out a defect is intolerable .... Oh how shallow we humans are /LOL

When you pay your own money for something, you want it to be perfect when you receive it, after all, you gave perfectly good money for it. When you scratch it yourself later, you shrug it off as your own fault. I don't really think it has anything to do, for most people, with how your friends will perceive it.

It's the same as picking produce in the super market. You aren't going to pick the tomatoes that are squashed, bruised, holed. If the cashier crushes them under the canned goods, you probably aren't going to accept that. If you put the can goods on top of them in the car, you'll be pissed at yourself, but most people aren't going to take them back to the store and demand new ones at that point. When you turn them into tomato sauce and serve them to your friends, they aren't going to know the difference.

• Reply 162 of 267
    Samsung wants to add, Scuffgate their innovative design.

Apple can keep that design. I guess using cheap plastic isn't that bad of an idea after all.
  • Reply 163 of 267
    Most people abuse their phones anyway. I am surprised that anyone would be shocked to learn that metal on metal will cause scratches. But then, people were surprised that glass breaks when you drop it. Those dolts had the nerve to try and sue, and thankfully a judge threw out that lawsuit because it is common sense that glass breaks when mishandled. Aluminum is capable of being scratched and dented. Buy a case, which most people do anyway, and don't drop it.

The video was hilarious, and the 2-year old engineering expert was awesome.
  • Reply 164 of 267

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Apple can keep that design. I guess using cheap plastic isn't that bad of an idea after all.

Because plastic never scuffs.

• Reply 165 of 267

I was at about 8 stores today looking for a white 64B iPhone 5.  Finally found one, went through the upgrade process and when I looked at the phone it had a small mark on the top (almost directly centered) and a few on the left side near the volume buttons.  This type of thing happens in manufacturing, what I'm really surprised with is that it got out of the factory.  New production usually has a large amount of inspection.  Heads will roll over this at the manufacturing facility.  They will get it fixed, just wondering how many will turn up.

• Reply 166 of 267
    Because plastic never scuffs.

Not as easily. Don't recall these complaints for the 3G/S, which were made out of what? Yes cheap plastic. How soon you've forgotten.
  • Reply 167 of 267
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

Had a look at a few of them at the local Apple church.

Despite being handled by hundreds of people, they all looked great. Ridiculously light and very nice to hold. Played around with it for a few minutes and realised that Ive was right: the longer screen works nicely with one thumb. I can imagine it will scratch if you put a key to it, so perhaps it's best not to put a key to it. The new connector is tiny but solid. Fits in with a nice snap so you know it's connected properly. Screen is nice and bright.

One criticism: the slate model needs black earpods.

• Reply 168 of 267
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    anonymouse wrote: »
    When you pay your own money for something, you want it to be perfect when you receive it, after all, you gave perfectly good money for it. When you scratch it yourself later, you shrug it off as your own fault. I don't really think it has anything to do, for most people, with how your friends will perceive it.

It's the same as picking produce in the super market. You aren't going to pick the tomatoes that are squashed, bruised, holed. If the cashier crushes them under the canned goods, you probably aren't going to accept that. If you put the can goods on top of them in the car, you'll be pissed at yourself, but most people aren't going to take them back to the store and demand new ones at that point. When you turn them into tomato sauce and serve them to your friends, they aren't going to know the difference.

I like your theory better /smile
  • Reply 169 of 267
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    sermon wrote: »
    I found this bit of news on a german Apple fan page. I don't know how reliable that website is and cannot confirm if this news tidbit is actually true, nor can I confirm its validity, but I thought I'd share it here nonetheless - this is a rough translation from german into english:
    "When calling the Apple hotline I was told that the iPhone 5 devices with scuffs and scratches come from one specific batch and will be replaced by Apple. The problem is known to the company and apparently stems from a defective production machine. The affected devices can be identified based on their serial numbers, and only these faulty devices are eligible for return and exchange. As an alternative, a discount from the Apple hotline is offered. If you can live with the scratch or damage, this is a great way to save some money."
    Link to source (in german):
    http://www.appdated.de/2012/09/iphone-5-scuffgate-kunden-berichten-uber-kratzer-nur-eine-charge-betroffen/
    Good to know, when I heard that people were seeing this right out of the box I figured it had to be a manufacturing issue, seems like it should be easily enough to fix (and maybe has already been fixed).
  • Reply 170 of 267
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    iFixit can go f*ck themselves. Yeah the first thing I'm going to do with my iPhone is give it to a toddler with a pair of keys. And then be shocked when the phone has scratches on it. Idiots.
  • Reply 171 of 267

Not as easily.

Abject nonsense! Don't tell me plastic doesn't scuff easily!

• Reply 172 of 267

The iPhone 3G and 3GS were made of plastic and scratched quite easily, and no one complained about that.  Where was the "plasticgate" then?  Same with most other smartphones made of plastic.  If I drag my key against the body of my car, the paint will scratch.  Whose fault is that, duh, mine.  The Moto Razr flip phone was painted aluminum and it scratched quite easily...no one complained in those days.  Apple has the target because they are one of the few companies making money in a recession.  Also, many are "drama-queens" when it comes to this crap.  The iPhone has the cool looking aluminum band, but no one ever sees it because it is hidden by a case.

• Reply 173 of 267
    Look, I don't think that it is wrong that people want a perfect product, but let's look at the number of nits that shipped, apply acceptable manufacturing/QA tolerances and then figure out how rampant this issue is. Are we seeing a thousand units with nicks? 10,000? 50,000? What is the percentage.

In my mind, Apple can't win here. They sell out their first shipment and people complain about not getting delivery for two weeks after release, but then again, when a few people see scratches on the first production run where Apple is trying to maximize their shipments, the company is doomed.

Come back to me when Apple refuses to replace units with small imperfections. It's almost impossible to produce the number of perfect manufactured pieces of hardware but the key to Aplle is customer satisfaction and their policy of replacing these phones with small imperceptions with minimal hassles is why they are on top. Until Aplle refuses to replace your precious damaged equipment quit complaining and hand over your phone to someone who is in line waiting for his phone and is willing to put with minuscule imperfections.
  • Reply 174 of 267

Quote:

Not as easily. Don't recall these complaints for the 3G/S, which were made out of what? Yes cheap plastic. How soon you've forgotten.

Metal on plastic will scratch just as easily as metal on metal.

• Reply 175 of 267
    runbuh wrote: »
    You're all missing the point that this is the first time it has happened with iPhones.  Apple has set the expectation that our iPhones will be perfect out of the box (aesthetically), and these iPhone 5's are falling short.  My iPhones, iPads, and MacBooks were flawless when I took them out of the box.  That's the whole point of buying them new.  If you want one scratched up, save some money and buy it on eBay.

To the person who mentioned that even BMW's aren't perfect - if one of the wheels on your brand new $70,000+ BMW came with a scratch in it, you would have the dealer replace it.  No doubt about it.

Tell me, did you unwrap the BMW yourself and meticulously examine the car before your dealer handed you the keys? Every car dealer employs a staff that inspects and buffs out any imperfections prior to any customer seeing the car.

Besides, almost every car that I have bought came along with a little bottle of touch up paint ... In case I came across any imperfections.
  • Reply 176 of 267

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

iFixit can go f*ck themselves. Yeah the first thing I'm going to do with my iPhone is give it to a toddler with a pair of keys. And then be shocked when the phone has scratches on it. Idiots.

This comes from the guy without kids, or a girlfriend, or a wife.  It is an example.  If MJ had done it, you would have complained that an adult is strong, and can cause damage quite easily.  The example was showing how easily aluminum can be scratched.  It was comedy using her 2 year old.  Your girlfriend or wife will throw her phone into her purse, which also includes car keys.  When they come in contact, the keys will scratch aluminum.  Games and video on an iPhone can calm an upset child, so parents do give their iPhone to their child to play games or watch video.  Granted, they don't have a set of keys in their other hand.  Thankfully, I don't have kids, and I know how to take care of my things, so my Apple products don't get scratched or damaged.

• Reply 177 of 267

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Hofstetter View Post

Happy to hear I'm not the only one.  I have the smallest little "nick" from what looks like the last touch of the diamond tipped drill on one of the beveled edges.

I have already sent Tim Cook an email regarding it. 

It has been my experience, that any comment sent directly to Tim is sent to his group and someone has always contacted me within 24-48 hours.

Eric H.

Yo, Tim is dropping a replacement phone off at my place around 5:30... Give me your addy and I'll have him swing by your crib after. :/

• Reply 178 of 267
    Abject nonsense! Don't tell me plastic doesn't scuff easily!

Not as easily isn't the same as not easily. I don't recall anyone ever complaining their brand new plastic using device with scratches from the manufacturer. Now has it happened? Most likely yes. It's great that thousands of people wait in line for days and that millions preorder but the flip side to that is you'll get a chorus of complaints when the device is less than perfect. Quality control is going to suffer whenever a large amount of devices need to be made in a short period of time.
  • Reply 179 of 267
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    I would agree they shouldn't come with defects out of the box but it's probably better those people get an iPhone 5 with minor cosmetic damage than not at all. If there are people who can't stand the damage they can get a replacement.

The scratch test results were fairly obvious but there's always a compromise. The metal is shatter-proof and the glass is scratch resistant. In a mobile device, I prefer durability against shattering:

http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-apple-iphone-5-drop-test-20120921,0,480497.story

If you go on a picnic, you take metal cutlery and plastic plates/cups not ceramic plates and glass cups. The glass is needed for the touch screen but it's good to keep it to a minimum.

You can make an iPhone 5 scratch-resistant by applying one of those clear coatings:

You can't make an iPhone 4 shatter-proof doing the same.
  • Reply 180 of 267
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Same problem here with a 64 gig AT