Apple hiring developers to work on widely-criticized iOS 6 Maps

Comments

• Reply 161 of 187
    Oh, I see. You ask for proof and then once you receive said proof, you accuse the person giving the proof of just copying what they read elsewhere.

lol. you're a joke. you realize that, right?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I see, you're just parroting things you read elsewhere. You aren't able to actually discuss it yourself except as unsupported bullet points. You've certainly confirmed all of my suspicions. Thanks.

• Reply 162 of 187
    First off, Watson's accuracy is much higher than Siri's. Also, Watson's questions were in riddle form. Which means, it had not only had to understand WORDS but CONTEXT. This is where it's WAY smarter than Siri. And it should be considering the number of servers involved.

As I recall, Watson beat the human contestants. Siri wouldn't have a chance.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Yes! And Watson frequently didn't have a clue. Sometimes, Watson could not understand the simplest of questions.

Like Siri, Watson is an amazing piece of work. But neither are perfect!

Dictated, with Siri, on my iPad.
  • Reply 163 of 187
    I highly doubt anyone with a substantial amount of shares and thus ownership of Apple would be wasting time on this crappy page complaining about Apple's latest blunders.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ray Bart View Post

Thanks, that's a useful post. I'm just a concerned Apple shareholder who expects high standards from a great company that as a substantial shareholder, I partly own. I want to know how this mess slipped through and who if anyone is being held accountable.

Im notselling my shares, but im also not sitting back like these mice that blindly accept less than Apple's usual high standards.
  • Reply 164 of 187
    You don't need to move out of the US to see what a beta-level product it is.

Penn State's campus? GONE.

Bike paths? GONE.

Transit directions? GONE.

Street view? GONE.

And don't bother saying I'm just trolling because these are all things I USED on a regular basis. F Apple for putting it's hatred of Google against the well-being of its customer base. They deserve all the negative press they get for this.

I'm starting to think that Tim Cook is too much of a bean counter and too fiscally conservative to keep Apple at the level of greatness its been over the past few years.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

JR, I think once you move out of US, Apple Maps significantly deteriorate. Here in India it is practically useless. Anything I search for cannot be found and I cannot get directions between places. Of course they will first fix whatever issues they have in the US and then slowly move on to the smaller markets, but that still means that Maps on the iPhone is crippled in India till such time that the seach and directions are fixed. When that happens, considering how small the Indian market is for Apple, is anybody's guess.

I assume other people living in smaller markets may experience the same issues.

• Reply 165 of 187
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

Quote:

Originally Posted by msalganik View Post

Me wanting to be able to upgrade RAM and HDD on my own is not getting? Those are basics and Apple has had it on most of their computers for a while. Heck i just bought a new computer from them that still offers that option! I don't mind the other stuff being non-upgradable, and I do like Apples approach for hardware/software integration.. its the whole reason I own an Apple and not a PC. The decision to prevent RAM and HDD upgrades however stinks of profiteering and not any real design agenda. The whole "you don't get it" line just makes Apple users look like assholes, so for the sake of those of us (and I believe it to be the majority of Apple users) who like the company but aren't afraid to criticize once in a while, please keep your snobbish attitude to yourself. A company needs feedback in order to keep providing customers with what they want. Yes, Apple also redefines the rules sometimes and gives people something they didn't even know they wanted... that great, but the upgradability of HDD and RAM is NOT one of those instances.

The design agenda is precisely why the machine is not upgradeable. By soldering stuff directly onto the boards, they eliminate the need for brackets that would make the machine thicker. If you don't like it then buy a different machine; Apple is not going to change this for the decreasing number of people who tinker with their computers (and the number was never that big to begin with).

• Reply 166 of 187
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

Quote:

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

There's no better way to tell Apple they missed the mark than to not use it.

No, the best way to tell Apple they missed the mark is to tell Apple they missed the mark.

If you have a problem with Maps then submit a bug report. That's how they gauge the real size of the problem.

• Reply 167 of 187
    You're honestly not too bright, aren't you?

I'll break it down for you, since you obviously need the help.

Watson's technology was shown off on Jeopardy because not only does it showcase its technical prowess for finding the correct answers to questions, but it took things a step further by showing it understood CONTEXT. Siri could never answer the tongue-in-cheek type questions you have on jeopardy. She can barely answer normally phrased questions.

So what exactly is misfiring in your brain to make you think that would only with, and is only applicable to, a TV game show?

Quote:

So, in other words, you are unable to back up your nonsensical claims? That's what i thought.

BTW, how useful is Watson outside a jeopardy tournament? Right, not so much.

• Reply 168 of 187
    I'm pretty sure they also gauge failures by all the negative press they are receiving.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

No, the best way to tell Apple they missed the mark is to tell Apple they missed the mark.

If you have a problem with Maps then submit a bug report. That's how they gauge the real size of the problem.

• Reply 169 of 187
    mcrsmcrs Posts: 172member

FYI, Watson doesn't have voice/speech recognition technology built in. In the Jeopardy! exhibition contest, someone was typing the clues to Watson, After all the clues were completely sent to Watson, then, via electronically controlled switch, any contestants will be able to press the button to answer but not before. It is actually a disadvantage for human competitors as many of Jeopardy! champions often times can figure out their answers before Alex Trebek even finishes reading the clues completely. It is more fair if Jeopardy let any contestant to buzz in at any time after the clue is displayed. Obviously, this will also creates a huge disadvantage for Watson since it also doesn't have any optical patterns/letters recognition ability.

SIRI, on the other hand, has the natural speech recognition  technology but with less robust database, less processing power and perhaps less advanced "natural language parser" relative to Watson's to back it up. All IBM has to do is to incorporate its voice recognition technology which it has been developing since the 1980's to Watson, then we can for be sure that SIRI will be left biting the dust.   

QUOTE:

Watson’s avatar, which viewers will see behind a standard Jeopardy! podium, is designer Joshua Davis’ artistic representation of the machine. It does not provide eyes or ears for Watson. Instead, Watson depends on text messaging, sent over TCP/IP, in order to receive the clue. At exactly the moment that the clue is revealed on the game board, a text is sent electronically to Watson’s POWER7 chips. So, Watson receives the clue text at the same time it hits Brad Rutter’s and Ken Jennings’ retinas."

END QUOTE. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waverunnr View Post

First off, Watson's accuracy is much higher than Siri's. Also, Watson's questions were in riddle form. Which means, it had not only had to understand WORDS but CONTEXT. This is where it's WAY smarter than Siri. And it should be considering the number of servers involved.As I recall, Watson beat the human contestants. Siri wouldn't have a chance.

• Reply 170 of 187
    rayz wrote: »
    I think this site needs some sort of 'Armchair CEO' filter:

Filter out all posts that contain any derivative of "This wouldn't have happened if Steve were still alive."
    Filter out all posts that contain the word "skeuomorphic."
    Filter out any post that starts with a list of Apple kit owned by the writer, who mistakenly believes it adds some sort of legitimacy to what he's saying.

I speak as a shareholder and therefore according to your rules i should be filtered out? is that your logic? would you like anyone with a genuine concern about the brand to not post so you can have a forum of back slappers ? lets all praise Forstall then for enhancing the brand! does this now make you feel a little happier, a little more secure ?
  • Reply 171 of 187

Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

I think this site needs some sort of 'Armchair CEO' filter:

Filter out all posts that contain any derivative of "This wouldn't have happened if Steve were still alive."

Filter out all posts that contain the word "skeuomorphic."

Filter out any post that starts with a list of Apple kit owned by the writer, who mistakenly believes it adds some sort of legitimacy to what he's saying.

Interestingly enough, our auto spam filter has learned to catch some posts that could definitely be called trolling. image

While blocking skeuomorphic wouldn't be the best idea, the other two make perfect sense to add to some sort of "delete on sight" list.

• Reply 172 of 187

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waverunnr View Post

Oh, I see. You ask for proof and then once you receive said proof, you accuse the person giving the proof of just copying what they read elsewhere.

lol. you're a joke. you realize that, right?

Sorry, posting links to a few opinion pieces simply doesn't constitute proof. And, since you are unable to articulate an argument of your own, you clearly don't have an intelligible one.

We see this sort of thing all the time on AI: trolls, astroturfers, true believers, professional shills all come here spouting talking points, sometimes with "links to back them up" that don't support their arguments at all. Some don't care. Some don't realize. One, apparently hopes no one will read them since his linked to articles often contradict his claims. All these posts are just noise. Your posts are just noise.

Let's get this straight. Links to opinion pieces don't support an argument. Links to primary sources may. Objective analysis articles may or may not. Simply finding something on the Internet that says something similar to what you are saying isn't offering an argument nor does it prove anything. Even with primary sources, you still have to offer an argument about what they actually say and that it's the whole story.

Sorry, if you can't make your own argument, you don't deserve to be heard. If all you offer in "support" of "allegations" is links to other people expressing their unsupported opinions, you don't deserve to be heard. Not everyone has something to say worth listening to, and you are in the group that doesn't.

• Reply 173 of 187

Quote:

... I just like experimenting once in awhile with these lab mice - using basic psychology techniques, pointing out obvious failings of apple and seeing how these mice react when put in a situation where their blind loyalties conflicts against their logic, if they have any. ...

Quote:

I speak as a shareholder...

Your "shareholder" comments don't have any credibility, not after the rest of your comments, and particularly that quoted above.

But, just for fun, let's assume you are a shareholder, for the sake of discussion. So, as a shareholder, you think it's a good idea to come on a public forum and trash the company that you have all this money invested in, calling for executives heads when it's obvious that your comments will have no impact on the company itself? There are only 2 possible conclusions that could be drawn from such behavior.

1. You're lying, and you don't own even a single share of APPL.

2. You're insane.

I'm going to go with option 1. I think most others will too, although, a few may choose, all of the above.

• Reply 174 of 187
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member

I used maps today for some navigation.  While I initially liked the app, the accuracy was piss poor.  I used it to try and find a Wal-Mart.  Yeah, it lead me on a wild goose chase, telling me to turn where I merely had to bend to the right or left.  The Wal-Mart was not there.  Fortunately the second one was.  There were also a few turns that didn't exist in reality ("turn on X in 1.9 miles" and yet there was no turn despite it being shown on the map at the current location).  

• Reply 175 of 187
    I've relied on google maps on ios for so long during my time here in Hong Kong, navigating around the city, looking up shops, finding addresses and now I feel like I've taken ten steps back in map technolgy. Will for sure have to find other apps to use whilst Apple needs to work furiously on their maps software. Googles data set is much much more refined. Building outlines were so helpful on the zoomed in views. I didn't realize how convenient and how much I relied on the maps app until I updated and had to use it to look for a place whilst I was out last night....I got so pissed with Apples app after it inaccurately gave me a street location and made me wander off a few blocks in the wrong direction

Hope Apple rectifies this very SOOOON! or give us Gmaps back!!!! FFS!!!
  • Reply 176 of 187
    That's all well and good, but like you said yourself, all they have to do is add their own voice-recog software and Siri would be outmatched. This was never about Siri's voice recog abilities, but rather her ability to (1) answer questions correctly the first time (2) and understand Jeopardy-level nuances in the language, which Watson does AMAZINGLY well.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcrs View Post

FYI, Watson doesn't have voice/speech recognition technology built in. In the Jeopardy! exhibition contest, someone was typing the clues to Watson, After all the clues were completely sent to Watson, then, via electronically controlled switch, any contestants will be able to press the button to answer but not before. It is actually a disadvantage for human competitors as many of Jeopardy! champions often times can figure out their answers before Alex Trebek even finishes reading the clues completely. It is more fair if Jeopardy let any contestant to buzz in at any time after the clue is displayed. Obviously, this will also creates a huge disadvantage for Watson since it also doesn't have any optical patterns/letters recognition ability.

SIRI, on the other hand, has the natural speech recognition  technology but with less robust database, less processing power and perhaps less advanced "natural language parser" relative to Watson's to back it up. All IBM has to do is to incorporate its voice recognition technology which it has been developing since the 1980's to Watson, then we can for be sure that SIRI will be left biting the dust.   

QUOTE:

Watson’s avatar, which viewers will see behind a standard Jeopardy! podium, is designer Joshua Davis’ artistic representation of the machine. It does not provide eyes or ears for Watson. Instead, Watson depends on text messaging, sent over TCP/IP, in order to receive the clue. At exactly the moment that the clue is revealed on the game board, a text is sent electronically to Watson’s POWER7 chips. So, Watson receives the clue text at the same time it hits Brad Rutter’s and Ken Jennings’ retinas."

END QUOTE. 

• Reply 177 of 187
    anonymouse wrote: »
    So, in other words, you are unable to back up your nonsensical claims? That's what i thought.

BTW, how useful is Watson outside a jeopardy tournament? Right, not so much.

As a matter of fact, IBM is collaborating with Memorial Sloan-Ketting Cancer Center on the development of a an outcome and evidence-based decision support system. The Watson-based service will assist the hospital group’s doctors with the hospital group’s doctors with the diagnosis of cancer and suggest treatment options by mining the most current and comprehensive information available.

"The need for such an advanced technology arises from the steadily increasing complexity of oncology treatment. Cancers are the second most common cause of death in the U.S., second only to heart disease, and the American Cancer Society projects that 1.6 million new cancer cases will be diagnosed in the U.S. this year* with outcomes varying widely across the country. Cancer is not one disease but some hundreds of sub-types, each with a different genetic fingerprint. Significant discoveries in molecular biology and genetics in the past two decades have delivered new insights into cancer biology and strategies for targeting specific molecular alterations in tumors, but these advances have also ratcheted up the complexity of diagnosing and treating each case. Oncologists and physicians who do not specialize in specific sub-types of cancer face a significant challenge in keeping up with the magnitude of rapidly changing information."

“The combination of transformational technologies found in Watson with our cancer analytics and decision-making process has the potential to revolutionize the accessibility of information for the treatment of cancer in communities across the country and around the world,” said MSKCC President and CEO Craig B. Thompson. “Consistent with our mission, the vision is to help better identify and personalize cancer therapies for each individual patient, no matter where that patient may be receiving care. We also expect tremendous new research opportunities to emerge from this collaboration.”

Memorial Sloan-Ketting Cancer Center is world's oldest and largest private cancer center.

1. No author provided. 22 March 2012. Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, IBM to Collaborate in Applying Watson Technology to Help Oncologists. IBM Develop Works. Retrieved 22 September 2012.
  • Reply 178 of 187
    I've had Apple swag going all the way back to the //c, so Apple and I go WAY back. The difference between you and me is that (1) I'm not blindly loyal to a platform and (2) I use the brain that I was given. Just because I point out Apple's deficiencies lately doesn't make me a troll or anything else illegitimate. You apologists are either biased by being shareholders or simply blinded by the Apple Religion. Fortunately, I know how to call a spade a spade.

Where exactly do I believe I was deficient in making my points? You see, that's how debate works. I give a point, and you give a counter point. Instead what has happened here is that I presented facts as I understood them and provided proof via authoritative links. And instead of you DISPROVING the information provided, you gave broad statements as to why you think I don't understand the argument. That's just smoke and mirrors and a waste of my time and everyone elses.

SO... either explain in detail why the information I provided was inaccurate or STFU and stop wasting everyone's time.

Quote:

Sorry, posting links to a few opinion pieces simply doesn't constitute proof. And, since you are unable to articulate an argument of your own, you clearly don't have an intelligible one.

We see this sort of thing all the time on AI: trolls, astroturfers, true believers, professional shills all come here spouting talking points, sometimes with "links to back them up" that don't support their arguments at all. Some don't care. Some don't realize. One, apparently hopes no one will read them since his linked to articles often contradict his claims. All these posts are just noise. Your posts are just noise.

Let's get this straight. Links to opinion pieces don't support an argument. Links to primary sources may. Objective analysis articles may or may not. Simply finding something on the Internet that says something similar to what you are saying isn't offering an argument nor does it prove anything. Even with primary sources, you still have to offer an argument about what they actually say and that it's the whole story.

Sorry, if you can't make your own argument, you don't deserve to be heard. If all you offer in "support" of "allegations" is links to other people expressing their unsupported opinions, you don't deserve to be heard. Not everyone has something to say worth listening to, and you are in the group that doesn't.

• Reply 179 of 187
    mcrsmcrs Posts: 172member

I guess this time Apple will let several options open for you. If you are not willing to wait  more than just a couple of days, you can revert back your Igadget to IOS 5.x, buy a GPS device or buy an Android device. But, if you're willing to wait about one month, you can make a deal with the "devil", i.e. to buy the new WP8 phone Nokia Lumia 920 with its superb worldwide map and navigation system [even without any cellular data connection], IMO besting even Google's effort in some features, plus you get added "benefits" such as a better camera, a better OS integration and consistency- not to mention the ability to finally break free from the already 30 year old icon centric UI still touted by everybody else under the sun even when it feels already dated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by simtub View Post

I've relied on google maps on ios for so long during my time here in Hong Kong, navigating around the city, looking up shops, finding addresses and now I feel like I've taken ten steps back in map technolgy. Will for sure have to find other apps to use whilst Apple world furiously on their maps software. Googles data set is simply much much more refined. Building outlines were so helpful on the zoomed in views. I didn't realize how convenient and how much I relied on the maps app until I updated and had to use it to look for a place whilst I was out last night....I got so pissed with Apples app after it in accurately gave me a street location.

Hope Apple rectifies this very soon
  • Reply 180 of 187

Originally Posted by mcrs View Post

…not to mention the ability to finally break free from the already 30 year old icon centric UI still touted by everybody else under the sun even when it feels already dated.