Some users find scuffs, nicks on newly-purchased iPhone 5s [u]

Comments

• Reply 201 of 267

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimmyIKeen View Post

Except that just making up numbers doesn't provide any perspective at all.  Nor does the defect rate on S3s have any bearing on iPhones.  People have higher expectations from Apple because Apple generally delivers.

Plus - they are actually promoting how well it's made:

iPhone 5 is made with a level of precision you’d expect from a ?nely crafted watch — not a smartphone.

Never before has this degree of fit and finish been applied to a phone.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/design/

• Reply 202 of 267

Quote:

Originally Posted by elehcdn View Post

Tell me, did you unwrap the BMW yourself and meticulously examine the car before your dealer handed you the keys? Every car dealer employs a staff that inspects and buffs out any imperfections prior to any customer seeing the car.

Besides, almost every car that I have bought came along with a little bottle of touch up paint ... In case I came across any imperfections.

Exactly - if the car is delivered with a scratched wheel, then something is wrong with the dealer process.  Similarly, when Apple states "iPhone 5 is made with a level of precision you’d expect from a ?nely crafted watch — not a smartphone.  Never before has this degree of fit and finish been applied to a phone", buyers don't expect scratches on a brand new iPhone 5.  Apple has set this expectation by not delivering previous generations of iPhones, iPads, iPods, and Macs with noticeable scratches.

• Reply 203 of 267
    That doesn't look like an iPhone 4s at the end... It doesn't have the old 30-pin connector on the bottom...

What gives.
  • Reply 205 of 267
    Yep. Knew it. Mapgate, Scuffgate, Tubegate, Sizegate, Portgate, Thingate. Apple is doomedgate.

Bill Gates is gonna want a cut of Apple creating all these "gates"!
  • Reply 206 of 267
    This is the charteristics of medals, accept this..

This is no way a cheap SHAMESUNG can do this as it is made out of a plastic .

Look at your cars, painting on a alumin cant avoid this.

• Reply 207 of 267

Originally Posted by mabhatter View Post

Bill Gates is gonna want a cut of Apple creating all these "gates"!

He doesn't get a dime until iTunes starts charging people for items they didn't purchase.

• Reply 208 of 267
    andrey wrote: »
    Put it into gel skin and chill.

But there AREN'T any cases yet!!!! What are these guys gonna do?

They are going to have to place the phone on a silk pillow next to their bed (right next to the facial tissues) until a solution is found. That's the price of being first.

I worked at an aluminum extrusion company for a few years. Matte black is the worst for scratches unless you use Hardcoat.. And that stuff is environmentally nasty to do correctly.. There's ways to "fake it" but they are not as durable. For the White, Apple should have used bright dip which makes it extremely glossy, and harder to see scratches, or put a really heavy etch and/or sandblast surface on it, like the MacBooks.

It's a fact of life Aluminum just isn't very hard. You can do things to make it better, but a phone is a pretty harsh environment. That was why they went with the glass backs last time, even though they break.

My opinion, wait for a really nice bumper case to hit the shelves before buying the new iPhone. Sometimes it pays to stay off the "bleeding edge"... They call it that fo a reason.
  • Reply 209 of 267
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

deleted
  • Reply 210 of 267

Yesterday, we received three iPhones and all of them have surface finish flaws. Two of the phones have blemishes in the anodize near one of the antenna gaps. Analysis under a microscope reveals that the surface texture is intact, and that the anodize fades from black to clear, indicating a problem during the anodizing process. Two of the phones have scratches in the surface that penetrate the anodize, revealing the underlying raw aluminum and one of the phones has a gouge in the chamfered edge that is fully anodized, indicating that the surface was damaged before anodizing.

As a product designer, I'm aware that sharp edges invite cosmetic damage. I'm also aware that the darker the finish on a bright metal, the more obvious damage to the surface finish becomes. Apple has produced black anodized iPods in the past, so this is not news to them, nor to us.

None of the blemishes is terribly obvious, but Jony Ive's waxing rhapsodic over the level of fit and finish on this phone invites the kind of scrutiny it's been getting.

• Reply 211 of 267
    ME 2!! I have a tiny scuff on the right side of my phone and it came this way.. :( I love this new phone but I did notice this on mine as well !
  • Reply 212 of 267
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    drakehoe wrote: »
    Check this out.. This should get me a replacement I'm thinking, as it would actually affect the image optic quality. Would like some second opinions on this please. 

It looks like a faded scuff.. but I noticed, it's on the INSIDE of the lens cover. Or it could even be within the cover. Let me know what you guys think..

LL

I'd definitely get that switched out.

dasanman69 wrote: »
    Not as easily. Don't recall these complaints for the 3G/S, which were made out of what? Yes cheap plastic. How soon you've forgotten.

There were complaints about cracks around the edges of the button and camera holes.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/08/07/31/iphone_3g_owners_report_hairline_cracks_in_their_phones_casing

http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/10/our-iphone-3g-cracked-too-what-gives-apple/

I don't know if it was necessarily cheap plastic. It did hold up very well to abuse.

hentaiboy wrote: »

I wonder what a plain plastic is. There are so many kinds, with so many different properties at lots of price points. PC is very soft for a plastic, easily scuffed, I wonder what their scratch protection treatment is. iPods had PC faces too, it came to be a problem when the first nanos supposedly had scuffing problems.

PC is extremely hard to shatter though, seemingly impossible. PC would metaphorically laugh at something that would totally shatter acrylic. More resilient than the aluminum I usually use. It can bounce a thrown hammer back at you with no evidence of cracking or distortion, where aluminum of the same thickness (6mm) would dent.
  • Reply 213 of 267

Well, black paint on anodized aluminum, is always going to scuff. I was thinking about that the second I saw them, as cool as they look. My guess is the white one will scuff less, with the natural back, but I am getting a black one, and rounding up good old Otter.

• Reply 214 of 267

So, okay. If Apple's so horrible at manufacturing, how come mine is flawless?

• Reply 215 of 267
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yep. Knew it. Mapgate, Scuffgate, Tubegate, Sizegate, Portgate, Thingate. Apple is doomedgate.

awww beat me to it

• Reply 216 of 267

If it has such flaws out of the box then replace it, return it. Problem solved. Just like you would do with any other device.

• Reply 217 of 267

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

So, okay. If Apple's so horrible at manufacturing, how come mine is flawless?

By accident?

• Reply 218 of 267
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    I was always very impressed with the iPhone 4/4S and it's furious resistance to scratches. I thought Apple did a magnificent job with that product.

The very first moment I picked up an iPhone 5 the other day, I thought, "Oh no...really?"

There is no surprise here that scuffs and scratches will be rampant. Most iPhone 5 will look awful after just a few weeks. Truly a shame because it looks so nice out of the box.

In my opinion Apple made a poor choice in producing such a scratch magnet.
  • Reply 219 of 267

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I was always very impressed with the iPhone 4/4S and it's furious resistance to scratches. I thought Apple did a magnificent job with that product.

The very first moment I picked up an iPhone 5 the other day, I thought, "Oh no...really?"

There is no surprise here that scuffs and scratches will be rampant. Most iPhone 5 will look awful after just a few weeks. Truly a shame because it looks so nice out of the box.

In my opinion Apple made a poor choice in producing such a scratch magnet.

What would you suggest? It's either glass which shatters or metal like aluminium or stainless steel which scratches very fast. Carbon fiber? i don't think it's green enough to be used in such quantities.

• Reply 220 of 267
    Glass - Users complaint it breaks easily when dropped but more scratch-resistant.
    Aluminium - Users complaint it scuffs easily when scratched but more shatter-proof.
    Titanium (Future) - Users complaint it's heavy but scratch-resistant and shatter-proof.

There is NO perfect material in this world. Each material (and anyone into material engineering will know this) has its pros and cons, just like each material treatment process has its pros and cons.

Bottom line - It is all about sacrifices and trade-offs.