Apple seeks another $707 million in damages from Samsung

Comments

• Reply 121 of 173

Quote:

@googleisgod: Really? is that why Mac only accounts for 7% of world wide computer usage? Because its so great? apple achieves greater performance with ios because its just  a grid of icons. nothing more. U can deny it all you want but thats the truth. You have to open an app just to see most fundamental information (email, facebook status etc). You still have to go to setting, bluetooth, or wifi to toggle on or off power management. simple tasks like these can't be managed on ios. Thats why its so "smooth". Have you tried the S3? no lag what so ever, and its functional. I would take functionality over "smoothness" any day. and dont even get started with the Maps. Talk about how someone cat butcher a perfectly working software

Chopsticks out number cutlery by user numbers. Does that make the chopstick a superior tool? Your numbers are wrong too, along with your stupid ranting. Why do you come to an Apple forum spouting your fandroid crap? Don't you have a big enough ego to be happy with what you have? Obviously you feel inferior, otherwise why else would you be here? Small ego, small penis, little intelligence?

Samsuck got caught out blatantly copying and have to pay the price. Best you get over it and let sleeping dogs lie. Enjoy your inferior, crappy, plastic, rubbish, iPhone clone product, with a fragmented, slow, laggy, stolen OS. 

When you come into my home, you don't get off criticising my choice of decor without getting a kick in the ass.

• Reply 122 of 173
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    kr00 wrote: »
    Chopsticks out number cutlery by user numbers. Does that make the chopstick a superior tool?

Fords outnumber Ferraris too, but I know which one I'd prefer to be driving.

When you come into my home, you don't get off criticising my choice of decor without getting a kick in the ass.

LOL

Love your subtlety.

Keep it up!
  • Reply 123 of 173

Quote:

Originally Posted by googleisgod View Post

A jury in California, 10 miles away from apple headquarter, literally apple's backyard, found samsung guilty after only 3 days. It surprised all tech journalists and experts at how quickly they were able to reach verdict. Europe, australia and other countries found samsung didn't infringe these patents. The jury is a scam. They had no idea what was going on. most courts found galaxy tab infringed iPad, yet the jury found otherwise. What a joke. 

Because you can't accept the jury decision, your only assumption is that the jury is rigged? You have a very feeble brain don't you. Patent laws differ between countries and a patent in one country doesn't hold the same relevance in another. Korean courts upheld a samsuck court case against Apple recently. So that ruling was biased under your own determination. Fool.

The court cases in other countries didn't cover the same patent infringements. Apple won in Europe and Australia, stupid. Only the device bans were lifted. No damages were applied for, only device bans.

The jury had more of an idea than you could ever hope for. One juror was a developer, who holds patents himselfs, a HTC phone running android, his wife owns a samsuck phone, and he owns an iMac. They heard every second of testimony and read every scrap of written evidence. But you know better? The case ran over a month, and they deliberated for 5 days, thats more than most murder cases. FFS, even google told the samsuck executives to change their UI in fear it was infringing. How much more blatant evidence of copying does someone so thick in the head need?

Most trolls are just blind, but you are blind, stupid and ignorant. The fandroids must be proud of one the likes of you. Enjoy your fragmented POS experience, you seriously deserve it.

• Reply 124 of 173

Quote:

Yea, their reputation took a big hit. That's why Samsung sold 20 million S3 in 100 days. 

And Apple will sell 4-5 million iPhone 5's in 4 days. Your point again?

• Reply 125 of 173
    Finally. Sammy Sam Sam summing.
  • Reply 126 of 173
    Well, maybe it's time to Google and Samsung, and Sony and so on sue Apple, for the notification bar copy from Android, or the panorama feature, it exist in Android, or even store apps, maybe Apple should pay to them all, or the Missing call message reply, that is on Android for some time also. Maybe Apple should pay, like 5 billion, or maybe 10 who knows! Apple lately is not doing anything good, it really seems steve Jobs was as good on the marketing as knowing what kind of features are really needed, the new Apple is just a fade shade!!!
  • Reply 127 of 173
    saltwater wrote: »
    Well, maybe it's time to Google and Samsung, and Sony and so on sue Apple, for the notification bar copy from Android, or the panorama feature, it exist in Android, or even store apps, maybe Apple should pay to them all, or the Missing call message reply, that is on Android for some time also. Maybe Apple should pay, like 5 billion, or maybe 10 who knows! Apple lately is not doing anything good, it really seems steve Jobs was as good on the marketing as knowing what kind of features are really needed, the new Apple is just a fade shade!!!

If Google holds a design patent, or trademark, or whatever, for the notification bar... then yes... they should take Apple to court. Same for all those other features.

If they don't have patents for those things... then there's not much they can do.

Apple DID have patents on a bunch of things... and they recently took Samsung to court... and won.

Let's hope Google has similar luck in court.
  • Reply 128 of 173
    sol77sol77 Posts: 203member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mwhiteco View Post

YOUR the JOKE!!!!

You can't be serious.  

• Reply 129 of 173
    sol77sol77 Posts: 203member

Quote:

Really? is that why Mac only accounts for 7% of world wide computer usage? Because its so great? apple achieves greater performance with ios because its just  a grid of icons. nothing more. U can deny it all you want but thats the truth. You have to open an app just to see most fundamental information (email, facebook status etc). You still have to go to setting, bluetooth, or wifi to toggle on or off power management. simple tasks like these can't be managed on ios. Thats why its so "smooth". Have you tried the S3? no lag what so ever, and its functional. I would take functionality over "smoothness" any day. and dont even get started with the Maps. Talk about how someone cat butcher a perfectly working software

Logic isn't your best subject.  Let's turn what you said into its converse: you mean to say that if something is great, it will, of necessity, by virtue of being great, have a higher than 7% adoption rate?  Nobody in the world needs to be a Mac lover to see the gaping hole in this argument.  I know you might feel like your arguments are equal to others simply because having a user name here means having the appearance of being a peer to others who argue here, but...you are not a peer.  You need to talk less and think more, and pay attention to some of these people.  You could learn a lot. 

Some anecdotes for you to think about:

Health is great...what percentage of people in your country are at their ideal weight?

Exercise is great...what percentage of people in your country get their doctor prescribed amount of exercise per day?

Healthy food is great...what percentage of the food in the grocery store is ideal for your health?

BMW's are fine automobiles.  What percentage of the car market do they occupy on your local interstate? 

And...are you suggesting that nobody should ever attempt to compete with google maps?  Are you suggesting that if somebody wants to compete with another company's product...it should be perfect from the get go?  So if I am creating a start-up company, I'm not allowed to enter the market unless I can demonstrate that my product is already superior?  I'm not allowed to improve?  You need to think more.

This is rudimentary level logic.  If you can't handle this level of thinking, you should probably not be making claims.

Proclaim less.  Think more.  Slow down.  Your ego is way too involved.  You aren't coming across as thoughtful or insightful.  You're coming across as insecure.

• Reply 130 of 173
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

I fail to understand some posters here.

When someone wants to make a point on something against Apple, everyone calls him a troll.

When someone clearly acts as a troll (just read his username for god's sake!), you try to argue.

... :/

That said...

I hope this story soon ends and that Apple gets all the money they asked. Today I saw a guy with a white iphone on the bus. After a second I realized that it wasn't an iPhone but a blatant plastic iPhone 4 copy by samsung, like the stuff you'd expect to see in some chinese counterfeit market. I don't know which model it was, because I had never seen it before, but it's possibly worse than the Galaxy S copy of the 3GS. I fail to understand how someone can buy such a pos and not be bothered by the obvious fact that it's a copy.

• Reply 131 of 173
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

I fail to understand some posters here.

When someone wants to make a point on something against Apple, everyone calls him a troll.

When someone clearly acts as a troll (just read his username for god's sake!), you try to argue.

If some posts make a point with facts and not subject us with Apple is doomed or Apple is the root of all evil or Google is the greatest thing since sliced bread, we'll listen. If the poster makes up "facts" then he's trolling.

• Reply 132 of 173
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

For those very few who have an interest in details of the remaining issues to be determined in the Apple/Samsung trial, here's a copy of Samsung's latest motion and arguments asking for a new trial as the best case, and portions of the jury's award over-ruled at the least.

http://www.groklaw.net/pdf4/ApplevSamsung-1990Samsung50and59motions.pdf

• Reply 133 of 173
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

If some posts make a point with facts and not subject us with Apple is doomed or Apple is the root of all evil or Google is the greatest thing since sliced bread, we'll listen. If the poster makes up "facts" then he's trolling.

How do you decide if the facts make a point or are made up? Some people don't care, they'll call TROLL as soon as the facts support that apple is in a bad behavior.

I'm not saying it's the case here. I think that this whole trial affair shouldn't even be discussed by people that don't have a good knowledge on law and patent law specifically.

• Reply 134 of 173
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

Quote:

Yea, their reputation took a big hit. That's why Samsung sold 20 million S3 in 100 days. 

They 'shipped' 20 million in 100 days, which, unfortunately, is not the same same as 'sold'.

But here's something that will cheer you up: Samsung has announced that S4 will go on sale in February 2013, sporting a 5-inch (Mother of God!) screen.

http://geekchunk.com/news/samsung-galaxy-s4-coming-out-in-februarythe-company-announces/

The first few days of iPhone sales have placed Samsung's management in such a state of terror that they've committed the worst possible mistake in consumer IT: leaking news of a model to replace an existing product, while the existing product is still on sale:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_effect

A few days later, someone regained their sanity and tried to plug the leak:

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/09/17/tech/mobile/samsung-galaxy-s-4/index.html

Let's hope it worked, otherwise S3 shipments are about to tank.

• Reply 135 of 173
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    For those very few who have an interest in details of the remaining issues to be determined in the Apple/Samsung trial, here's a copy of Samsung's latest motion and arguments asking for a new trial as the best case, and portions of the jury's award over-ruled at the least.

http://www.groklaw.net/pdf4/ApplevSamsung-1990Samsung50and59motions.pdf

Even you must realize how ridiculous Samsung's claims are. "No reasonable jury could find infringement of Apple's design patents?" Really? When Samsung's own attorneys couldn't tell the difference?
  • Reply 136 of 173
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

The iPhone 5 brings features that Android users have already had for months/years.

/not

Google's idea of a smartphone is what the company bought when they bought Android OS in 2005: a Blackberry clone. Google's vision since 2007 has been all iPhone-inspired.

Low-power Qualcomm LTE modem... first in the iPhone 5.

Good LTE battery life with slim profile and low weight... first in the iPhone 5.

High quality display... first in the original 2007 iPhone.

Color-accurate display... first in the iPhone 5.

(Poor quality display... every AMOLED display ever sold by Samsung.)

Fluid user interface... first in the original 2007 iPhone. (Android devices need 8X memory and 4X clock speeds to achieve similar fluidity)

Far better performance than any other smartphone sold in the U.S.A., using just half the memory (thus power efficient)...  iPhone 5.

Timely OS updates across the entire product line... every iOS device ever sold.

I've already seen where Apple's iOS 6 Maps app provided better data than Google's with iOS 5. Apple has set an aggressive target for itself and I believe it will reach it.

Google has a ways to go yet.

• Reply 137 of 173
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    They really need to slam Samsung even harder. Seriously the copying was so blatant that Samsung needs to hurt a lot more than they are now.
    hunabku wrote: »
    Ouch, Apple would you stop slamming Sammy. Now ur gonna go for triple the billion dollar damages too!
    Just stick to tripling in the marketplace instead. Like tripling the graphics speed of the S3 with the iPhone 5. Now hat's the kind of winning I want.
  • Reply 138 of 173
    mcrsmcrs Posts: 172member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

The iPhone 5 brings features that Android users have already had for months/years.

/not

Google's idea of a smartphone is what the company bought when they bought Android OS in 2005: a Blackberry clone. Google's vision since 2007 has been all iPhone-inspired

Low-power Qualcomm LTE modem... first in the iPhone 5.

Good LTE battery life with slim profile and low weight... first in the iPhone 5.

High quality display... first in the original 2007 iPhone.

Color-accurate display... first in the iPhone 5.

(Poor quality display... every AMOLED display ever sold by Samsung.)

Fluid user interface... first in the original 2007 iPhone. (Android devices need 8X memory and 4X clock speeds to achieve similar fluidity)

Far better performance than any other smartphone sold in the U.S.A., using just half the memory (thus power efficient)...  iPhone 5.

Timely OS updates across the entire product line... every iOS device ever sold.

I've already seen where Apple's iOS 6 Maps app provided better data than Google's with iOS 5. Apple has set an aggressive target for itself and I believe it will reach it.

Google has a ways to go yet.

I think you're using a rather confusing and flawed logic. How can you be "inspired by" something that didn't exist or rather just being released barely some days ago, like Iphone5? Are you suggesting that Android's phone manufacturers live in a higher dimension, so that they can just time-travel whenever they like to steal Apple's future ideas? 

I don't even dare mentioning your liberal use of multipliers such as 8X and 4X which doesn't make any sense at all, unless, of course, your arithmetic is so horribly shot. To which I will suggest you start reviewing your multiplication table. 

On their own, IOS/Iphone will stand tall and show their superiority [at least presently, but in matter of months- who knows] in many aspects against their major competitors [Android/Android device manufacturers] without your help of fudging IOS/Iphone's actual numbers and facts. 

• Reply 139 of 173

Originally Posted by mcrs View Post

How can you be "inspired by" something that didn't exist…

Ask Intel. They act as though they made chips for ultrabooks before Apple asked them to.

• Reply 140 of 173
    Ask Intel. They act as though they made chips for ultrabooks before Apple asked them to.

They did. AnandTech clearly shows a snapshot of a slide showing the SFF CULV chip that would later be in the first MBA. What Intel did was design a chip that had no market and when Apple came along asking for something like that (they could have known about these chips) Intel had something for them that essentially required them to start production. Same goes for Corning and their Gorilla Glass. These aren't quite the same as Cspro's comment as Apple needed something from a vendor and they just happen to have what they were looking for. With Google, Samsung et al. it's about taking what has becoming the only design standard — not engineering feat — and using that as the basis of everything you do going forward without regard for the other guy's IP.