Apple announces iPhone 5 sales top 5 million in first weekend

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
In its first three days of availability, the iPhone 5 has achieved record breaking sales of 5 million, while more than 100 million devices have been upgraded to iOS 6, Apple announced on Monday.

"Demand for iPhone 5 has been incredible and we are working hard to get an iPhone 5 into the hands of every customer who wants one as quickly as possible," said Tim Cook, Apple's CEO. "While we have sold out of our initial supply, stores continue to receive iPhone 5 shipments regularly and customers can continue to order online and receive an estimated delivery date. We appreciate everyone's patience and are working hard to build enough iPhone 5s for everyone."

The company noted that demand for the iPhone 5 exceeded initial supply at launch, though the majority of preorders were shipped to customers. However, many preorders are scheduled to be shipped in October.

iPhone 5

The iPhone 5 is currently available in the U.S., Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore and the U.K., and will be available in 22 more countries on September 28 and more than 100 countries by the end of the year.

Launch sales of the iPhone 5 topped last years record weekend, in which the iPhone 4S sold 4 million units in the first three days. However, with demand outstripping supply, initial sales of the iPhone 5 were less than the lofty predictions made by some Wall Street analysts.

The iPhone 5 first got off to a record breaking start earlier this month, when Apple sold 2 million preorders for its latest handset within its first 24 hours of availability. That doubled the record set in 2011 by the iPhone 4S, but actual first weekend sales did not double the iPhone 4S launch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 102
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Fark!

• Reply 2 of 102
    Apple can't sell iPhones faster than it can make them. Thus initial sales aren't going to be a good indicator of how many iPhone 5's it may finally sell.
  • Reply 3 of 102
    I'm surprised it wasn't more when you compare to the 4S, a significantly smaller upgrade.
  • Reply 4 of 102
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member

For the first time, waited in line for mine, met some nice folks and also for the first time, bought the top model. Have been sending messages and setting reminders with Siri, 100% reliable thus far. Maps almost to my liking and panorama is fantastic.

Well done Apple, well done Tim, supply chain master. :)

• Reply 5 of 102
    Many places were completely sold out.
  • Reply 6 of 102
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    ifij775 wrote: »
    I'm surprised it wasn't more when you compare to the 4S, a significantly smaller upgrade.
    Every store I went to this weekend was sold out. One Verizon store I went to said they sold out at 9am on Friday.
  • Reply 7 of 102
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    I am surprised people are still arguing the 4s was a "significantly smaller upgrade" myself. Still butt hurt over the name? Seriously, what is the argument? Smaller in some ways, not in others, right on the path history said the phone would take. How is it still a surprise to some people, more than a year later...
  • Reply 8 of 102

iPhone 4S first weekend sales were over 4M. This isn't bad, the iPhone is still gaining momentum. Shows you how good analysts are when they said 6-10M. Sure wished I saw 10M though.

Pre-market numbers aren't looking pretty, ~$684

• Reply 9 of 102
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    remember that the 4S was a performance upgrade to the same shaped iPhone 4. Production of the 4S could probably have been started earlier and of a higher scale than for the 5. So to have made 5m is impressive, to have shipped [I]and[/I] sold all of them even more so. As for Gene Munster: bwaahhahahhahhaa!.
  • Reply 10 of 102
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

Apple can't sell iPhones faster than it can make them. Thus initial sales aren't going to be a good indicator of how many iPhone 5's it may finally sell.

While it may be hard to predict exact numbers - it is certain that selling out all you can make - even for only the first few days - is better than sitting on piles of overstock after the launch weekend. 

Extrapolation may become more accurate when supply begins to exceed demand - then the ongoing rate of sales will be a much better predictor of ultimate numbers. 

Of course with two year contracts, some folks like myself, may wait until the middle of next year to upgrade. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

I know several people who have been holding on to their 3GS for various reasons who are now ready to upgrade - so it would be interesting to see if any data on what folks are upgrading form is available. 

I keep reading about how this is not a significant upgrade, because Apple ONLY increased the screen size a little, or Apple ONLY made the CPU/GPU twice as fast, or Apple ONLY made the WiFi and Cellular faster/better, or Apple ONLY made it 20% lighter, or Apple did not increase the battery life (despite all the other improvements), or Apple ONLY added this new feature or that new feature. At what point does the sum total of all those improvements add up to a significant advance overall? 

For me I do not want something radically different - after having a number of other cell phones, including other smart phones, I have been happy with the capability and functionality of my original, iPhone 4, and iPhone 4S, and though I am not rushing out to upgrade to iPhone 5, the fact that I have a number of other family members with various iPhones means that when I do upgrade I can pass my 4S down to the next person, and their iPhone 4 can replace a 3GS, and that 3GS maybe becomes an iPod or gets sold. 

Sure sometimes Apple takes a small step back in some areas (Maps for example) but it has historically been in order to lay the foundation for a major leap forward. And as with most Apple products, it is more than the sum of its parts, and to those who have not used Apple products to be productive it can be hard to explain and sound like you are making excuses etc, but as a long time user of computers and technology from many vendors, when I have the option I choose Apple products. 

• Reply 11 of 102
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    The question is, is this a sales or a supply issue? Every store I went to this weekend was sold out. It's not like they have phones sitting in stores that no one is buying, And the Apple online store is showing a 3-4 week delay in shipping.
  • Reply 12 of 102
    Why does anyone still listen to Gene Munster? He is sooooo irrelevant...
  • Reply 13 of 102

For comparison, how big were the Galaxy S3 sales numbers the first weekend?

• Reply 14 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuddyRevell View Post

For comparison, how big smooth were the Galaxy S3 sales numbers the first weekend?

FTFY

• Reply 15 of 102
    nealgnealg Posts: 132member

As an Apple shareholder, I am happy with 5 million sold over the first weekend. From the initial reaction of the share price, I guess not all investors feel that way. What artificial number did Apple fall short of? Or maybe a reaction trying to shake loose some shares at a little bit of a discount? Or buy the rumor, sell the news?

No matter what, this looks, to me, like a good start for the new phone.

Neal

• Reply 16 of 102

so what about those phones with nicks and scuffs that people checked at store before purchasing and refused to choose? ...when you say stores was sold out.

• Reply 17 of 102

Quote:

Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

iPhone 4S first weekend sales were over 4M. This isn't bad, the iPhone is still gaining momentum. 

One also has to factor in the fact that the iPhone 5 is launching in two additional countries compared to the 4S - Hong Kong and Singapore, which would account for some of the additional sales of the iPhone 5.  Without specific numbers, it's impossible to say exactly how much this was a factor, but it does cast the increase in 1st weekend sales in a bit of a different light.

• Reply 18 of 102

Only with Apple would a record-breaking 5 million phones (pre-order and opening weekend!) be viewed as "disappointing" to investors.  Seriously?  Name another hardware manufacturer who has done this with their smartphone.

It's just silly.  And this analyst is a fool anyway

• Reply 19 of 102
    Given the very fast US preorder sellout, and the much wider international rollout for the iPhone 5, I think the analyst's can be forgiven their expectation for better than a 25% opening weekend from last year.

I'm not sure which conclusion to draw from this 5 million launch. If Apple's manufacturing target was 5M, that might be an admission of slowing growth. If Apple couldn't make more than 5M, those analysts who've been touting Mr. Cook's supply chain prowess may have to dial back their praise.

It's too early to draw a conclusion, but that won't stop us from trying ;-)
  • Reply 20 of 102
    In other news, apple didn't announce that 5 million iPhone 5 users now have a crippled maps app