Motorola ad slams Apple's iOS 6 Maps as 'iLost'

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Google-owned Motorola Mobility is attempting to capitalize on dissatisfaction with Apple's new iOS 6 Maps with an advertisement pushing the phrase "iLost" on Twitter.

Motorola

Apple's new iPhone 5 is shown next to a Droid Razr M in the new advertisement, which says Motorola's handset offers "the real world that's fit for your hand." Both phones are shown searching for the address of 315 E 15th in New York City, but Apple's iOS 6 Maps return an incorrect result.

In an accompanying post on Motorola's official Google+ page, the company said that "Google Maps on DROID RAZR M will get you there & not #iLost in Brooklyn."

Apple's iOS 6 Maps have been widely criticized since the software update launched last week. In one example highlighted by AppleInsider, a search for the city of Columbia, S.C., returns the city of Santiago De Cali in the nation of Colombia.

The faulty Maps in iOS 6 have gained such attention that Apple released a statement last week to say the service will get better with time. The new Maps application is a cloud-based solution that Apple has said will improve as people continue to use it.

Still, Apple has reportedly been scrambling behind the scenes to improve its iOS 6 mapping software. According to sources who spoke with All Things D last week, Apple has kept its Maps team "under lockdown" to fix some of the larger errors seen in the new application.

Apple is also said to be actively recruiting software engineers who previously worked in Google's own Maps division. The iPhone maker is looking to bolster its team as it aims to compete with the market leading Google Maps.

Apple's iOS mobile platform previously relied upon Google Maps for its own mapping solution. But the Cupertino, Calif., company abandoned Google Maps with iOS 6 in favor of its own in-house solution, which users have said is not up to snuff in its current form.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 153
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    No Surprise... Apple looks to have seriously dropped the ball with their iOS 6 'Maps' app so competitors are quite justified in pointing it out (Apple sure would if the situation were reversed).

Google Maps worked great, and this looks to be a case of a company (Apple) placing silly 'politics' ahead of user experience and one can only hope that they fix things quickly.
  • Reply 2 of 153
    Motorola should maybe spend time fixing the GPS issues in there phones instead of bashing Apple.

Used a Droid X and X2 for 2 years and had major issued getting a GPS connection. Would have to pull off the road, and pull the battery to get the GPS to function and sometimes still didnt work properly.
  • Reply 3 of 153
    You dont see Apple advertising just another box of crap from (fill in an Andriod using company name)!
    Apperantly noboby but Apple has the nerve to stand on thier own merrits when advertising. Very Child-ish.
  • Reply 4 of 153
    daharder wrote: »
    No Surprise... Apple looks to have seriously dropped the ball with their iOS 6 'Maps' app so competitors are quite justified in pointing it out (Apple sure would if the situation were reversed).
    Google Maps worked great, and this looks to be a case of a company (Apple) placing silly 'politics' ahead of user experience and one can only hope that they fix things quickly.

Why are you still posting this stupid shit?

Have you even tried the maps? It's good they dropped them, more independence, and free from the google ecosystem that I once had a hand in helping design. Google maps wasn't built over night, and I've contributed 2 years of my life helping improve google maps..

Whether or not apple "dropped the ball" is completely opinionated as its worked absolutely steller for me with no hiccups or complaints.
  • Reply 5 of 153

Who's Motorola?

• Reply 6 of 153
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,087member
    Bold statements for someone that has 3% smartphone share.
  • Reply 7 of 153
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Google/Motorola the ruthless litigators, attacking a true innovator in a desperate attempt to garner some sales of their subpar products, there's still hope that Motorola will f**k off and die.

• Reply 8 of 153

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Or economics. I wonder how much Apple has had to pay Google for these last five years of lookups. It's interesting to me that they never tried to allow turn-by-turn from Google. I assume this is a decision made years ago and someone had to make the call to dump Google Maps and go with this built-in approach. Google has had a serious head start but at some point Apple had to introduce this. It may have been messy to do this later. I can't imagine this will be "fixed", whatever that means, for some time to come.

To be fair, they've built a world-wide map from scratch. Few companies would have the audaciousness, skill and money to do this. The maps team has done a fantastic job with most of this. Flyover is really fantastic and presents another approach beyond street-view from Google. There are some serious glaring mistakes that will be an Achilles heel for some time to come but Version 1 is more than usable for most of us, I assume. It's great in my little part of the world.

• Reply 8 of 153
    [INDENT][/INDENT]. ..and for once, those of us that actually like Apple's products can't say they're just using deceptive advertising.
  • Reply 10 of 153
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    hey ai. why not stick to one layout? i prefer the old one. the new one sucks.
  • Reply 12 of 153

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac_dog View Post

...what has motorola done lately? 

They're a Google shell company, useful for patents but not much else. 

• Reply 13 of 153
    Who's Motorola?
    googLags' subsidiary
  • Reply 14 of 153
    . Google maps wasn't built over night, and I've contributed 2 years of my life helping improve google maps..

Folks forget that. Google bought the work of another company that was already like 2 years into the game and has had another 5-7 years to get where they are now.

Apple Maps will improve. The real question is how fast and in particular how they respond to those 'report a problem' messages. I reported several major things to Google over the years and none of them were ever changed. 3 years later they are still telling folks to go the wrong way down a one way street. Still giving the longest and most complex directions to many places. Still missing bus routes that had been in place for years. Still showing some buildings as as far as 10 miles from where they are. If Apple puts such reports on priority and fixes them within weeks not years that's already a point in their favor to me. If they confirm receipt of the report (which I never got from Google) that is another point.
  • Reply 15 of 153
    cmvsmcmvsm Posts: 204member
    Google Maps wasn't in its present form when it was launched. Took a few years to get it to its current maturity. Google is just upset that Apple has moved away from its dominating piece of software, and are trying to cash in on its immaturity before it has a chance to get off the ground. That said, in the long run, Google should be thinking about some major competition in the future, so get it while they can.
  • Reply 16 of 153

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac_dog View Post

hey ai. why not stick to one layout? i prefer the old one. the new one sucks.

I completely disagree.

• Reply 17 of 153

There was a time when ad agencies thought attracting people's eyes just needed a child or a dog in the ad. Now we all know, showing an iPhone next to whatever product reaches more attention.

• Reply 18 of 153
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmvsm View Post

Google Maps wasn't in its present form when it was launched. Took a few years to get it to its current maturity. Google is just upset that Apple has moved away from its dominating piece of software, and are trying to cash in on its immaturity before it has a chance to get off the ground. That said, in the long run, Google should be thinking about some major competition in the future, so get it while they can.

True but Apple should have "warned" its customers that Maps is a work in progress. I bet in 2-3 years when Apple Maps is vastly improved, we'll all look back and have a laugh at the shaky flyover images.

To concerned users: Apple maps improves when more people use it. Apple can't be everywhere so there are bound to be errors.

• Reply 19 of 153
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flash_beezy View Post

Why are you still posting this stupid shit?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but he's right. Apple did drop the ball with Maps in iOS 6. I think so. Loren Bricther thinks so. A lot of people think so. Apple is capable of making mistakes, you know. They should have worked on Maps for another year and added it to iOS 7 instead. And they should have also worked out a deal with big G to licence Street View from them for at least another few years.

• Reply 20 of 153

I reported a problem near my house in the south of france sunday evening about 8:00 and when I looked this morning about 10:00 it  has changed.  and again since this morning several other things have changed.  Thats the fourth change I have noticed within 2 miles of my house since updating to iOS6 on wednesday.