Motorola ad slams Apple's iOS 6 Maps as 'iLost'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 153
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Motorola: "Looky, look!! Apple finally has something crappy compared to ours! Buy our crap instead!!!"

I think "iMaps" is great. The 3D flyover is seriously slick. Yes, I do miss StreetView but that's just a matter of time.
  • Reply 42 of 153
    vaelian wrote: »
    Apple had GPS issues of their own on the 4S. Most of the complaints about poor battery life stemmed from defective GPSes. A friend of mine got one of the affected phones, and her battery problems disappeared as soon as I told her to shut down Location Services (also told her to have the phone replaced, but she didn't appear to care enough). Not saying the problem is the same here, but your personal experience doesn't mean anything.

I noticed yesterday that Location Services seems obsessed with constantly checking where you are.  I used Passbook for the first time (to get into the Giants game in San Francisco) and it worked really well.  When we pulled into the parking lot by the stadium, I noticed that there was a banner on the lock screen saying I was near to AT&T Park, so the tickets were easy to get to.  Getting into the ground was a breeze, and Passbook worked exactly as advertised.  I was very impressed.

What I was not so impressed with was that during the game (and indeed until I deleted the now used tickets from Passbook), the phone continued to display the banner saying I was close to AT&T Park (obviously, I was sat in there), and the location marker at the top was constantly on.  The battery was going down at a hell of a pace as well.  Now I don't know if the location services marker at the top being on means the phone is constantly checking GPS for where I am, but given what the battery was doing, I assume it does.  That to me just seemed like a bad design.

The phone enables and disables the GPS from time to time in order to perform geofencing probes; this is normal. What was not normal was that in some cases an iPhone 4S' GPS wouldn't suspend at all, wasting ~15% of battery per hour. That said, I'm not sure how much iOS 6 uses the GPS since I've never actually used iOS 6 on my iPhone (had it on my iPad during the beta but downgraded back to 5.1.1 when it launched precisely because of Maps).
  • Reply 43 of 153

Had a friend claiming lots of ppl he knows are dropping iPhones over iOS 6 (maps). How retarded can you be? It's a maps app.... just wow. Those people really deserve Android.

As for the Motorola ad, is that the best they have to sell their product? Oh well. A few moments in Apples light to fling a few stones, then back to irrelavance they go.

• Reply 44 of 153

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

What I was not so impressed with was that during the game (and indeed until I deleted the now used tickets from Passbook), the phone continued to display the banner saying I was close to AT&T Park (obviously, I was sat in there), and the location marker at the top was constantly on.  The battery was going down at a hell of a pace as well.  Now I don't know if the location services marker at the top being on means the phone is constantly checking GPS for where I am, but given what the battery was doing, I assume it does.  That to me just seemed like a bad design.

This may not have had so much to do with location services. Not being a traditional sports fan, I don't spend a lot of time in stadiums, but every time I do I get terrible battery life on my iPhone 4.

I suspect it has more to do with the close proximity of so many phones, overloading the networks, and pushing the signal-to-noise ratio out of whack...

• Reply 45 of 153

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

The phone enables and disables the GPS from time to time in order to perform geofencing probes; this is normal. What was not normal was that in some cases an iPhone 4S' GPS wouldn't suspend at all, wasting ~15% of battery per hour. That said, I'm not sure how much iOS 6 uses the GPS since I've never actually used iOS 6 on my iPhone (had it on my iPad during the beta but downgraded back to 5.1.1 when it launched precisely because of Maps).

That seems to be happening to me than.  I have a 4S, and the GPS didn't suspend (assuming the icon is an indication that the GPS is on) yesterday, but it's only happening with iOS6.  Previously I never noticed that happening.

Whatever is causing it, battery life is significantly worse on iOS6.  It doesn't bother me that much, since I have the phone plugged in most of the time, but if I don't I'd say I've gone from a phone that would last about 8 hours to one that does about 5.

• Reply 46 of 153

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Really? How do you know that? Is it the unidentified "people on both sides said so" from the WSJ?

I understand it's your modus operandi to mock those who disagree with your view at every "turn by turn". But this is in Google's terms of service for their mapping API. Some of us actually know a thing or two about mobile software development because we do it. To mock something you don't know just makes you look silly.

• Reply 47 of 153

Have Goggle and/or Motorola, like Samsung, recently completed the same "bash others in the marketplace" courses at the BadMouth School of Maketing? You don't knock others down just to build yourself up. This is just poor form.

• Reply 48 of 153
    Who's Motorola?
    Some company that Google brought to shield them self and/or to use as a weapon.... In case they are attack for some past / current "work doings"(stealing).
  • Reply 49 of 153
    deleted
  • Reply 50 of 153

Quote:

Originally Posted by 80025 View Post

Have Goggle and/or Motorola, like Samsung, recently completed the same "bash others in the marketplace" courses at the BadMouth School of Maketing? You don't knock others down just to build yourself up. This is just poor form.

To be fair, Apple has done it too. Remember that they based a whole campaign on mocking Microsoft?

• Reply 51 of 153

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Folks forget that. Google bought the work of another company that was already like 2 years into the game and has had another 5-7 years to get where they are now.

Apple Maps will improve. The real question is how fast and in particular how they respond to those 'report a problem' messages. I reported several major things to Google over the years and none of them were ever changed. 3 years later they are still telling folks to go the wrong way down a one way street. Still giving the longest and most complex directions to many places. Still missing bus routes that had been in place for years. Still showing some buildings as as far as 10 miles from where they are. If Apple puts such reports on priority and fixes them within weeks not years that's already a point in their favor to me. If they confirm receipt of the report (which I never got from Google) that is another point.

Interesting: I reported a problem to Google a few years ago, and I did receive and acknowledgement, and a report when it was fixed as well. 

I reported a problem to Apple; we'll see how soon they fix that, and whether I get an acknowledgment or not. So far, no, but I suppose the Maps team is swamped right now.

• Reply 52 of 153
    [quote]
    anantksundaram 2012/09/24 10:23am

Who's Motorola?

[/quote]

Exactly.
  • Reply 53 of 153

Quote:

That seems to be happening to me than.  I have a 4S, and the GPS didn't suspend (assuming the icon is an indication that the GPS is on) yesterday, but it's only happening with iOS6.  Previously I never noticed that happening.

Whatever is causing it, battery life is significantly worse on iOS6.  It doesn't bother me that much, since I have the phone plugged in most of the time, but if I don't I'd say I've gone from a phone that would last about 8 hours to one that does about 5.

I must say I don't see either problem on 4, 4S or 5.

• Reply 54 of 153

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junebug172 View Post

Exactly.

Who's Motorola exactly?  This should cover it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola

• Reply 55 of 153
    Who's Motorola?

Google's 12 billion dollar hooker.
  • Reply 56 of 153

Who's Motorola exactly?  This should cover it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola

Yep, that about covers it.

• Reply 57 of 153
    I live in Brooklyn, NY and the result I get (the same as in the above picture) on iOS 6 is also in Brooklyn. This looks to me like a correct search result. I will try the same search tonight when I am in Manhattan and see if Apple is taking my current location for clues to how to complete the incomplete search request used as the test.

When I use a complete search request:

315 e 15th st manhattan ny

I get the same result as the Razr

I seem to recall in the early days of Google maps, leaving out a comma before the "ny" would result in an incorrect location. Building a maps database from scratch is a huge undertaking. Apple have hit the mark running, I'm sure they will address (pun intended) these kinds of issues as they are brought to their attention. Having said that, I'm not sure Apple's returned result is incorrect as specified.
  • Reply 58 of 153

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Google's 12 billion dollar hooker.

You win! image

• Reply 59 of 153

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

To be fair, Apple has done it too. Remember that they based a whole campaign on mocking Microsoft?

Yes, of course. When you're the cool underdog, that's what you do. Apple isn't the underdog in this space, they are the leaders, so they don't speak of competitors in commercials. 

I think the Samsung ads are well done. And quite funny. But maybe that's because I can't picture myself in a long line waiting dozens of hours for Apple to sell me a new phone. image

You also can't blame Google/Motorola for having some fun at Apple's expense over this. It's an open goal people, why wouldn't they stick one in the back of the net?

• Reply 60 of 153

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddawson100 View Post

Or economics. I wonder how much Apple has had to pay Google for these last five years of lookups.

Actually Google payed Apple for this (Apple wrote the original Map App, it just used Google's data as a source) - as Google got the user data which is what is valuable to them.