Motorola ad slams Apple's iOS 6 Maps as 'iLost'

Comments

• Reply 81 of 153
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

No Surprise... Apple looks to have seriously dropped the ball with their iOS 6 'Maps' app so competitors are quite justified in pointing it out (Apple sure would if the situation were reversed).

Google Maps worked great, and this looks to be a case of a company (Apple) placing silly 'politics' ahead of user experience and one can only hope that they fix things quickly.

Why would you "hope they fix things quickly"? You only post in sheer giddiness whenever there's a negative story about Apple. I don't even recall a single positive post of yours, or when you didn't jump in to kick the company or spread FUD whenevr the opportunity arose. So tell me, why bother with the bullshit rhetoric of pretending you're not foaming at the mouth in giddiness when this kind of thing happens? Everyone on this board knows you by now, and your schitck is beyond old. You despise Apple and its producsts yet you always "hope" for them to get better. No doubt you've never even used maps in iOS6 but couldn't help typing up that lazy copy and paste job of a post. Get a life. 

• Reply 82 of 153
    I hear a lot of talk about how Google Maps is "vastly superior" to Maps n iOS 6, but I've noticed many errors with Google Maps since my first iPhone in 2008. Some of these errors I experienced very recently, as in this year. I have only used Apple's Maps a few times since last week, but absolutely no issues so far....

Just my two cents as to my experience....I know some people are having issues, but Google Maps was (and is) FAR from perfect, even today, in my opinion.
  • Reply 83 of 153

Quote:

Originally Posted by softeky View Post

I live in Brooklyn, NY and the result I get (the same as in the above picture) on iOS 6 is also in Brooklyn. This looks to me like a correct search result. I will try the same search tonight when I am in Manhattan and see if Apple is taking my current location for clues to how to complete the incomplete search request used as the test.

When I use a complete search request:

315 e 15th st manhattan ny

I get the same result as the Razr

I seem to recall in the early days of Google maps, leaving out a comma before the "ny" would result in an incorrect location. Building a maps database from scratch is a huge undertaking. Apple have hit the mark running, I'm sure they will address (pun intended) these kinds of issues as they are brought to their attention. Having said that, I'm not sure Apple's returned result is incorrect as specified.

It's interesting, because I used the web on my laptop to Google the next street over in Brooklyn 315 E16th and sometimes I would get Manhattan, and sometimes I would get Brooklyn. Not sure how Google determines which location to use, but this is certainly an issue of cherry picking an extreme case.

• Reply 84 of 153
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Edit / Duplicate
  • Reply 85 of 153
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

You don't see the correlation ...

You're either playing dumb or you really are. Not my problem either way.

So you can't explain why Apple would be prevented from negotiating to use Google turn-by-turn by the API's or TOS? With that said you are correct that it's not your problem.

• Reply 86 of 153
    drowdrow Posts: 126member

i'm sure its not a deliberate plan to discredit and embarass scott forstall.

• Reply 87 of 153
    rot'napple wrote: »
    AND STILL has yet to provide GFE, Girl Friend Experience!  

I guess that would be considered 'friends w/ no benefits.'
    /
    /

LOL. No benefits indeed!
  • Reply 88 of 153
    drow wrote: »
    i'm sure its not a deliberate plan to discredit and embarass scott forstall.

But who would be behind such a dick move?
  • Reply 89 of 153

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasparilla View Post

Actually Google payed Apple for this (Apple wrote the original Map App, it just used Google's data as a source) - as Google got the user data which is what is valuable to them.

Are you sure about that?

We are happy to incorporate your map content in Google's services at no cost to your organization, but we generally do not pay for the content types we welcome through Google's Map Content Partner programs.

http://support.google.com/mapcontentpartners/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=143979

So in other words, once Google changed their policy to monetize their Maps by charging for access to large volume users, they were expecting to get paid for their data, while mining the data that was being provided to them for free. This is what is driving other geo-location providers such as Yelp.

btw, this war was predicted months ago when Apple initially announced they were going away from using Google maps,

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/18/technology/apples-goes-head-to-head-with-google-over-mobile-maps.html?pagewanted=all&_moc.semityn.www

It will be interesting to see how well Google can keep up with improving their data when they are no longer receiving Apple (or Yelp's) information, especially when Google derives somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 of their location information from ios devices.

• Reply 90 of 153
    And as to the loss of StreetView....so what? It was cool the first few times I tried it, but so many other times it would not show me anything useful, sometimes not even on the same street as the address I was looking for. Other times the sun was washing out the scene, or other cars/trucks in the way, etc, etc. Nice idea, but not extremely useful, again, IMO.
  • Reply 91 of 153
    techfox wrote: »
    Had a friend claiming lots of ppl he knows are dropping iPhones over iOS 6 (maps). How retarded can you be? It's a maps app.... just wow. Those people really deserve Android.

People buy general-purpose products like smartphones for lots of different reasons. I, for example, have absolutely no use for most of the functionality on my iPhone beyond its GPS and being an iOS developer. Had it not been for the extremely good GPS coupled with Google's extremely reliable maps and I would have probably never cared about the Apple ecosystem at all, so you can pretty much say that Google Maps coupled with Apple's GPS implementation essentially sold me a MacBook Pro, an iMac, an iPhone, two iPads, and plenty of accessories and peripherals, and now that the other phone makers have GPS implementations that can match Apple's, Apple ditches Google's reliable map data, so objectively speaking, the only things keeping me attached to their ecosystem at this point are the App Store potential and my hardware investment.

Essentially, if smartphones didn't have GPSes, I would not buy them, as the old early-2000 dumb phones with monochrome low-res LCDs and reflective electroluminescent backgrounds were perfect for me, especially the clamshells and slide phones.
  • Reply 92 of 153
    Who's Motorola?

Google subsidiary used to front bad ads and lawsuits.
  • Reply 93 of 153

Quote:

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

Functionally maybe, but it's debatable...Visually...not even close.

Here's a few examples between iOS 5 and iOS 6 Maps:

iOS 5 Maps of Forbidden City

iOS 6 Version

Where did all the water go?

iOS 5 Version of a typical intersection.

Notice the overlaid subway lines on the map?

Notice the plans of the subway exits?

Notice all the building data?

Here's the iOS 6 Verson.

Notice the one and only subway marker is not even in the right location.

No Building outlines

I'm using Beijing as the example because I travel there 6mos. of the year and if I can't see anything on the maps, then I can't get around.

I live otherwise where my profile states and it's not better there either.

I understand this is Gen 1 of Maps, but not everyone ONLY uses maps for driving and turn-by-turn.

many of us use maps for information and exploration.  not just blindly follow GPS telling us how to get someplace.

I use maps so I can learn where things are and only use them for reference.  These new maps provide nothing useful for many.

I'm sure eveyone has seen this site already.

http://theamazingios6maps.tumblr.com/

Actually, the water is there. It's just not been colored blue, but you probably know that since you selectively zoomed to not even include the water in the iOS shot. Hopefully, Apple will learn to color the lake areas in blue so that you don't walk into the lakes when you are walking blindly forward with all of your attention directed at your maps program.

As far as the transit apps, I have seen an interesting thing ... Apple is using a lot of location information to determine what to put on the map. When you get to the routing page, if you choose walking or transit, it brings up a list of apps that provide the mapping information. Once you choose that app, it becomes the default app for providing that information once you choose your mode of transportation. This is how Apple is working on bringing other partners into their mapping strategy ... unlike Google that looks to control everything and gather information from their partners while charging them for access to their data.

In this case, I would think that if there is a local provider for transit information in Beijing, once you go to the routing page, you would get more information.

• Reply 94 of 153

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosstheboss View Post

Um, you do know there's a world beyond your sea-to shining-sea...

And Apple Maps ain't so hot for folks there. For those with passports (c30%), see for yourself...

Actually, I have seen reports from some countries praising the accuracy of the ios maps to the Google maps. It all depends on whether OpenStreetMaps has done a good job of mapping the local area. Like it or not, Google is not the dominant map everywhere in the world.

• Reply 95 of 153
    jck75 wrote: »
    Seriously, if the shoe were on the other foot and Google or Samsung or whomever released a mapping product with this many problems, errors, and incorrect information would the response this board be "Give them time"?  Especially if the company was boasting that their product was superior?

I think not.

True. I think it's all fair game. Don't want competitors to ridicule? Make a better product like you always do.
  • Reply 96 of 153

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

People buy general-purpose products like smartphones for lots of different reasons. I, for example, have absolutely no use for most of the functionality on my iPhone beyond its GPS and being an iOS developer. Had it not been for the extremely good GPS coupled with Google's extremely reliable maps and I would have probably never cared about the Apple ecosystem at all, so you can pretty much say that Google Maps coupled with Apple's GPS implementation essentially sold me a MacBook Pro, an iMac, an iPhone, two iPads, and plenty of accessories and peripherals, and now that the other phone makers have GPS implementations that can match Apple's, Apple ditches Google's reliable map data, so objectively speaking, the only things keeping me attached to their ecosystem at this point are the App Store potential and my hardware investment.

Essentially, if smartphones didn't have GPSes, I would not buy them, as the old early-2000 dumb phones with monochrome low-res LCDs and reflective electroluminescent backgrounds were perfect for me, especially the clamshells and slide phones.

Well, I certainly hope that you keep your geolocation down so that you don't have to start paying Google for your usage of their location data.

http://blog.programmableweb.com/2011/10/27/google-maps-usage-fees-how-many-developers-will-have-to-pay/

With Apple moving off of Google Maps though, I highly doubt you will hit those numbers, since Apple ios users are much heavier users of maps than Android users.

• Reply 97 of 153
    I have to say that a map correction I submitted a day or so ago has actually been corrected!! These people must be working their proverbial socks off!
  • Reply 98 of 153

So can anyone guess why Google had to use Motorola to launch this attack rather than allowing Samsung to roll it into their attack ads?

Google Maps Navigation Mode not working on latest Samsung Galaxy S3 (Android Flagship Device)

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/maps/IlJDfMkgl3U

• Reply 99 of 153
    actually to be fair - Apple's mapping isn't all Apple... it's Tom-Tom, MapQuest, etc...
  • Reply 100 of 153
    elehcdn wrote: »
    I certainly hope that you use your 30 day refund period to return your phone and get an Android phone if mapping is such a high priority for you. Your continued complaining reminds me of a guy that hammers nails with a screw driver even though a hammer is in the toolbox next to him.

My phone is almost a year old, it was a pre-ordered iPhone 4S and is still running iOS 5.1.1 because I saw what was to come during the iOS beta, so I'm not affected. For now it works for me; once it goes below of my acceptance threshold I will re-evaluate my options.