Motorola ad slams Apple's iOS 6 Maps as 'iLost'

Comments

• Reply 101 of 153
    elehcdn wrote: »
    Well, I certainly hope that you keep your geolocation down so that you don't have to start paying Google for your usage of their location data.

http://blog.programmableweb.com/2011/10/27/google-maps-usage-fees-how-many-developers-will-have-to-pay/

With Apple moving off of Google Maps though, I highly doubt you will hit those numbers, since Apple ios users are much heavier users of maps than Android users.

I'm beginning to question the cognitive abilities of the people in this forum. Do you really think I alone would be able to pull 25k views of Google Maps in a single day? Don't you understand that those restrictions are in place to prevent developers from using Google Maps to serve several people at the same time without giving anything in return?
  • Reply 102 of 153

Google's dog can gloat all they want. Unfortunately google lost a lot more and it's only going to get worse for the time being.

They lost 100M users feeding them their preciousprecious data. They lost all data from 3rd party apps that integrated maps data as well since those all now use Apple's map system.  There will probably be another 100M users switched over to iOS6 in a weeks time. 

Meanwhile, Moto will probably be lucky to sell 10K more Droid phones, lol.

• Reply 103 of 153
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but he's right. Apple did drop the ball with Maps in iOS 6.

Yes, they did, but there are millions of users out there already and the majority are probably using Maps. I think unless Google manages to capitalize on this pronto, we can safely say (at some future date) that they are the ones that dropped the ball.

• Reply 104 of 153
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    daharder wrote: »
    No Surprise... Apple looks to have seriously dropped the ball with their iOS 6 'Maps' app so competitors are quite justified in pointing it out (Apple sure would if the situation were reversed).
    Google Maps worked great, and this looks to be a case of a company (Apple) placing silly 'politics' ahead of user experience and one can only hope that they fix things quickly.

As a shareholder I wish to thank you for your negative comment and there is nothing like it/them to keep the team to buck up and come up with the best map.

Btw we usually don't let our users down.

Once again thanks.
  • Reply 105 of 153

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

Apple had GPS issues of their own on the 4S. Most of the complaints about poor battery life stemmed from defective GPSes. A friend of mine got one of the affected phones, and her battery problems disappeared as soon as I told her to shut down Location Services (also told her to have the phone replaced, but she didn't appear to care enough). Not saying the problem is the same here, but your personal experience doesn't mean anything.

Pretty sure if you leave GPS apps open it does that.  It's not "defective GPSes", whatever that means.

Quote:

I have, and to me they suck as they can't even find mine or any of the neighboring streets here, it's even worse than finding them elsewhere, which would be acceptable because these streets are all named after cities in other countries, and without being able to perform reliable searches the app is pretty much useless, because search for addresses is what I use it mostly for. The fact that these streets are all charted on the map and this issue has existed since day 1 in the beta makes the situation even worse as it's not just the data that's crap but the software as well. Lastly the software is noticeably slower and power hungrier than the old maps, and despite the move to vectorial data (which was supposed to reduce the amount of data one needs to load from the Internet), it's actually loading slower than Google Maps ever did and rendering at a much lower frame rate.

From yourself: "Not saying the problem is the same here, but your personal experience doesn't mean anything."

Which iPhone are you talking about?

Oh, and what's an example of a search that didn't work?

Quote:

Apple ditching Google may be good for them, but I am not them and I don't work for them, so it's not good for me and it actually degrades the quality of their service. Like the first poster mentioned, Apple is putting their politics ahead of their customers and deserve the crap they're getting over this.

I'm sure you can report cases where Google Maps can't even find stuff that's perfectly charted on the map, then.

Folks forget that Apple bought several mapping companies and is licensing data from a lot of third party providers. The current solution doesn't differ much from what they got from Google, but the user experience does.

You're ignorant or trolling if you say this was a political move on the part of Apple.  As has been said a thousand times, and previously to your post in this same thread, Google's license agreement prevented Apple from getting needed features like turn-by-turn.  The only solution was to create a new maps application.

There are plenty of ways to confuse Google.  Most of them involve a misleading address that would cause even a person to be confused.  And yes, Apple needs to work more on their geocoding.

It's also clear you don't know all the pieces involved in implementing a mapping solution, because there is a large portion of this software that's new, particularly the geocoder.

• Reply 106 of 153

Quote:

Originally Posted by beg_ne View Post

Google's dog can gloat all they want. Unfortunately google lost a lot more and it's only going to get worse for the time being.

They lost 100M users feeding them their preciousprecious data. They lost all data from 3rd party apps that integrated maps data as well since those all now use Apple's map system.  There will probably be another 100M users switched over to iOS6 in a weeks time. 

Meanwhile, Moto will probably be lucky to sell 10K more Droid phones, lol.

No, they didn't. Some are using maps.google.com (admittedly not the same). Furthermore, they are working on releasing a standalone app that may in fact give them greater control.

What iOS Maps does is provide a competitor with critical mass. This is good, healthy competition that benefit all of us.

• Reply 107 of 153

Quote:

Originally Posted by elehcdn View Post

So can anyone guess why Google had to use Motorola to launch this attack rather than allowing Samsung to roll it into their attack ads?

Google Maps Navigation Mode not working on latest Samsung Galaxy S3 (Android Flagship Device)

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/maps/IlJDfMkgl3U

You're being very misleading, and in fact downright dishonest. Or perhaps you're strictly a headline surfer.

• Reply 108 of 153

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

To be fair, Apple has done it too. Remember that they based a whole campaign on mocking Microsoft?

Their campaign was about a PC.  They never said what OS it was.  They certainly didn't show disparate screen shots that purported to be the highest expectation.  I think anyone would agree, whether or not you feel Apple was using dirty marketing, that this goes above and beyond on the scum scale.

• Reply 109 of 153

I don't understand why people think Google Maps is so perfect.  Useful, definitely...good, again definitely yes...but free from frequent errors, never. I have been directed to the wrong location on many occasions by Google.  My favorite is Eldorado Mazda in McKinney Texas.  Google maps locates it several miles down the interstate and on the wrong side.  But here's the funny part, if you Google "Eldorado Mazda McKinney Texas", you find that Eldorado Mazda comes up in the paid listings!  Google hasn't got the right location for somebody that is paying them for the advertisement!  

Oh yeah, forgot to mention IOS maps locates Eldorado Mazda correctly.

• Reply 110 of 153

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

My phone is almost a year old, it was a pre-ordered iPhone 4S and is still running iOS 5.1.1 because I saw what was to come during the iOS beta, so I'm not affected. For now it works for me; once it goes below of my acceptance threshold I will re-evaluate my options.

Why do people believe not upgrading makes you sound so brilliant? You don't need to be brilliant to realize that, if you really are dumb enough to get lost using iOS Maps, you can still use maps.google.com. Some might whine about not getting transit info. Well, first of all, transit info for many major cities is available via apps (often more reliable). Second, knowing the next bus is coming at 5:16 instead of within the next 5 minutes is really nothing to be smug about.

• Reply 111 of 153

Quote:

Originally Posted by diplication View Post

I don't understand why people think Google Maps is so perfect.  Useful, definitely...good, again definitely yes...but free from frequent errors, never. I have been directed to the wrong location on many occasions by Google.  My favorite is Eldorado Mazda in McKinney Texas.  Google maps locates it several miles down the interstate and on the wrong side.  But here's the funny part, if you Google "Eldorado Mazda McKinney Texas", you find that Eldorado Mazda comes up in the paid listings!  Google hasn't got the right location for somebody that is paying them for the advertisement!  

Oh yeah, forgot to mention IOS maps locates Eldorado Mazda correctly.

There are many more!

Let's not forget that Google thinks it's cute to direct users to "kayak" across oceans. Those who are whining that maps.google.com is not good enough and cannot figure out when the next bus is coming without Google maps will indeed believe paddling is a necessity.

But, to be fair, iOS Maps have quite a few more boo-boos. So it is humble pie day for their mapping team. I bet you, though, this is a calculated risk rather than a case of dropping the ball.

• Reply 112 of 153

Quote:

The world is large and mapping it is indeed tough. But Apple didn't do this from scratch. They purchased a number of companies and are licensing data from other companies. This is not to slight what Apple has accomplished. Just getting the facts straight ...

Oh, that's not news to me. They've also licensed data from Tom Tom (who is distancing themselves from this debacle). The way I see it, this is Apple's app and is at version 1. I'm very impressed with this initial release but it clearly has a lot of room for improvement.

• Reply 113 of 153
    Interesting that the address typed into the two phones is different. If you are going to do a side by side, type the same address into each phone. Morons...
  • Reply 114 of 153

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasparilla View Post

Actually Google payed Apple for this (Apple wrote the original Map App, it just used Google's data as a source) - as Google got the user data which is what is valuable to them.

That would be interesting. Any source? I've read the opposite

• Reply 115 of 153
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    ireland wrote: »
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but he's right. Apple did drop the ball with Maps in iOS 6. I think so. Loren Bricther thinks so. A lot of people think so.

Yeah, perhaps a few thousand people out of millions think so. Of course, people like you are happy to take a few anecdotal reports and blow them out of proportion.

Most people seem to be happy with it - and even more will be happy when they think about the fact that Google will no longer be able to track them or shove ads into their faces.
  • Reply 116 of 153
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

Interesting that the address typed into the two phones is different. If you are going to do a side by side, type the same address into each phone. Morons...

I think they have. It's the screen result addresses that are so different isn't it?.

• Reply 117 of 153

Anyone else surprised Apple hasn't instantly fixed this specific mistake on "315 e 15th st ny" ? I just tried it on my iPhone 5 and it was still showing the wrong address. Once Apple fixes it, the advertisement doesn't even make sense any more. Not that Motorola is really threatening any iPhone sales with this but still.

• Reply 118 of 153
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac_dog View Post

hey ai. why not stick to one layout? i prefer the old one. the new one sucks.

I absolutely agree  .... a white background with black fonts on a 24"  imac is extremely hard on these eyes .... thank God we at least can go to comments to get the old, more pleasing format.

• Reply 119 of 153
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but he's right. Apple did drop the ball with Maps in iOS 6. I think so. Loren Bricther thinks so. A lot of people think so. Apple is capable of making mistakes, you know. They should have worked on Maps for another year and added it to iOS 7 instead. And they should have also worked out a deal with big G to licence Street View from them for at least another few years.

Every time Apple introduces a "new concept" and drops some legacy stuff we get the same tired old comments from the same usual suspects... DaHarder and the rest are so used to looking backward they forgot  how to look ahead. We heard it over the loss of floppy discs ... the intro of usb only ... loss of cd etc. etc. ......  It's true that Apple maps is a long way from Google  ... for now, but the fastest way to improve a crowd source data base is to get it in the hands of the maximum amount of people possible in the fastest time possible and 5 million sold in the first weekend tells me at least, that once again, Apple is on the right track. It's just too bad that we have to continually observe the lack of vision that DH and others seem to always possess.

• Reply 120 of 153

Quote:

You're being very misleading, and in fact downright dishonest. Or perhaps you're strictly a headline surfer.

Did you follow the link? It goes directly to a Google users forum with Galaxy S3 users complaining about the issue. There is no headline there ... it is the forum header for a Google support forum.