Motorola ad slams Apple's iOS 6 Maps as 'iLost'

Comments

• Reply 121 of 153
    [/quote]
    chazwatson wrote: »
    Pretty sure if you leave GPS apps open it does that. It's not "defective GPSes", whatever that means.

Pretty sure I'm not talking about apps.

Which iPhone are you talking about?

Pretty sure I mentioned the iPhone 4S specifically, and you even quoted it. You're a terrible troll, but I'll feed you until you go back under your bridge, because annoying trolls is entertaining to me.

Oh, and what's an example of a search that didn't work?

There are plenty of them all over the Internet. Take this one for an example. Same thing happens where I live, a search for my own street returns nothing despite the fact that it is correctly charted on the map and dropping a pin shows the correct address. For obvious reasons, I will not reveal my location.

You're ignorant or trolling if you say this was a political move on the part of Apple. As has been said a thousand times, and previously to your post in this same thread, Google's license agreement prevented Apple from getting needed features like turn-by-turn. The only solution was to create a new maps application.

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't know Apple was so poor they couldn't afford to actually pay Google for extra Maps services while at the same time being able to afford paying lots of third parties to offer a clearly subpar service...

There are plenty of ways to confuse Google. Most of them involve a misleading address that would cause even a person to be confused. And yes, Apple needs to work more on their geocoding.

Yes, but searching for a street name that's right outside my window complete with city and country name copy-pasted from the address returned by a dropped pin isn't one of them. The ignorance is yours; just because you are not aware of these issues it does not mean they don't exist. Generalizations from particular experiences are fallacious.

t's also clear you don't know all the pieces involved in implementing a mapping solution, because there is a large portion of this software that's new, particularly the geocoder.

Is there any logical reason for me to actually care unless I was being unnecessarily apologetic like you?

harbinger wrote: »
    Why do people believe not upgrading makes you sound so brilliant?

Perhaps because you're pulling a straw man fallacy that doesn't make sense?
  • Reply 122 of 153

Google has done me pretty well in autonomous regions that don't officially exist, derelict industrial wastelands and enormous Soviet steel works. When in doubt, I use the satellite image which is generally good, even in remote areas, and far clearer than the Apple Maps images of central London and major conurbations in Europe. Google Places allows me to plot locations on my computer and sync them with an app i my unlocked iphone 4 with a local sim.

Just a bit concerned that although it may get someone in the US from Dunkin Donuts to their local gun shop, there is a world out there, and Google has it pretty well mapped, even in countries where there's no 3G, slow wired internet and a dictator in Office. I'm all for a new map system to evolve but it's a petty that the google maps app wasn't left on iOS 6 in the interim. Some people rely on accurate mapping

• Reply 123 of 153
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member

Quote:

Originally Posted by d-range View Post

What I don't understand is what kind of idiot comes up with sad advertising like this. ........ 

When Motorola sees 5 million iPhones sold in the first weekend they reach the rightful conclusion that they are getting pounded in the marketplace and therefore start grasping at straws. When one starts to grasp at straws .... they make unwise decisions, don't they, DH.

• Reply 124 of 153

Quote:

Originally Posted by smiffy31 View Post

I reported a problem near my house in the south of france sunday evening about 8:00 and when I looked this morning about 10:00 it  has changed.  and again since this morning several other things have changed.  Thats the fourth change I have noticed within 2 miles of my house since updating to iOS6 on wednesday.

i have reported a problem with the wrong (switched ) names of two streets in my neighborhood. Not fixed yet... But then shitty ass google maps had two other streets misnamed in my neighborhood since day one and has never fixed it. Google also placed my house at the wrong position by over 500 feet.

Anyway we love iOS 6 and maps is no problem for us after dealing with google anyway.

• Reply 125 of 153
    ddawson100 wrote: »
    sasparilla wrote: »
    Actually Google payed Apple for this (Apple wrote the original Map App, it just used Google's data as a source) - as Google got the user data which is what is valuable to them.

That would be interesting. Any source? I've read the opposite

And obviously you had to link to a retarded article from someone who doesn't even understand what they read.

The figures also suggest that Apple devices such as the iPhone, which use products such as its Maps as well as Google Search in its Safari browser, generated more than four times as much revenue for Google as its own handsets in the same period.
    Does not mean:
    More to the point, Google charges Apple for having Maps loaded onto that Apple hardware. And as I’ve noted before, this is a substantial sum: rather more than Google currently makes from Android for example.

I do not have sources of my own, nor was I the one who made the original claim, but this is pure speculation, too. People shouldn't talk about what they don't know.
  • Reply 126 of 153

Quote:

Originally Posted by elehcdn View Post

Did you follow the link? It goes directly to a Google users forum with Galaxy S3 users complaining about the issue. There is no headline there ... it is the forum header for a Google support forum.

You're the one who didn't read the linked discussion carefully, it would seem.

• Reply 127 of 153

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosstheboss View Post

Google has done me pretty well in autonomous regions that don't officially exist, derelict industrial wastelands and enormous Soviet steel works. When in doubt, I use the satellite image which is generally good, even in remote areas, and far clearer than the Apple Maps images of central London and major conurbations in Europe. Google Places allows me to plot locations on my computer and sync them with an app i my unlocked iphone 4 with a local sim.

Just a bit concerned that although it may get someone in the US from Dunkin Donuts to their local gun shop, there is a world out there, and Google has it pretty well mapped, even in countries where there's no 3G, slow wired internet and a dictator in Office. I'm all for a new map system to evolve but it's a petty that the google maps app wasn't left on iOS 6 in the interim. Some people rely on accurate mapping

Rosstheboss, I am trying to figure out how you are getting accurate map information from a mobile device when you don't have any type of data connection. Everytime I have used Google Maps it requires some sort of internet connection to pull up data.

oth, as I understand it, Apple has some sort of plan for offline maps in their mapping program in the future. For Google, that is not a great option since their business is all based on driving you to their websites.

• Reply 128 of 153
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

Quote:

Actually, the water is there. It's just not been colored blue, but you probably know that since you selectively zoomed to not even include the water in the iOS shot. Hopefully, Apple will learn to color the lake areas in blue so that you don't walk into the lakes when you are walking blindly forward with all of your attention directed at your maps program.

As far as the transit apps, I have seen an interesting thing ... Apple is using a lot of location information to determine what to put on the map. When you get to the routing page, if you choose walking or transit, it brings up a list of apps that provide the mapping information. Once you choose that app, it becomes the default app for providing that information once you choose your mode of transportation. This is how Apple is working on bringing other partners into their mapping strategy ... unlike Google that looks to control everything and gather information from their partners while charging them for access to their data.

In this case, I would think that if there is a local provider for transit information in Beijing, once you go to the routing page, you would get more information.

Try zooming in all the way, water isn't there, just tan colored ground.  I tried...you should too.  Regardless, this is just one city's example.  In many examples they might have natural land/sea boundaries showing but they are not even accurate and don't show even 1/2 the level of detail of Google Maps.  And that brings up some other interesting annoyances with iOS 6 maps.  You can see building footprints when you zoom in enough, but many times you have to zoom in so far that all you see is a single building...or at best a 4-square block.  Not useful at all.

Additionally, you're totally missing the point i'm making with transit.  It's not about time-tables or finding a route.  I'm perfectly capable of quickly glancing down at my phone to see the subway line overlaid on the old maps.  Now I have to open a new map, and then hope that App uses iOS 6 maps to overlay onto.  Many don't...many are just pdf files and are not very interactive.  Not to mention most local App Dev's aren't availabe in multi-lingual formats.

Sure there are plenty of Apps out there, but on iOS 5 maps, you didn't need them.  And you didn't need to change Apps to look and see where the transit exit dropped you out into the city.  Now you do.  And that's makes the root iOS Maps App totally useless except if you're driving.  And from what i've read from user comments (even on this thread) that doesn't work well either.

And don't give me that excuse to use a Google Maps home screen app, because that's not a solution that works in some countries...especially in China.

Let me give you this example.  For whatever reason, iOS 5 Maps worked flawlessly in China.  Yet, if you went to you web browser and opened maps.google.com, it's blocked by the Chinese Government.  Don't ask me why it works that way because they both access the same Maps data.  Go figure.  Other mapping apps are no better.  There's going to be quite a bit of pissed off Chinese people when iOS 6 makes its way there.

It may seem like a fair strategy to you and to Apple, but to the end user, it flat-out sucks.

• Reply 129 of 153
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Well at least the official statement from Apple wasn't "You're Searching it Wrong"

google has for some time been very good at translating any gibberish you type into something useful and generally accurate - other GPS units or search engines not so much.

I have been using the Google Maps App under iOS 5 to find locations which I then paste into the MapQuest App for turn by turn navigation.

It is also helpful any time you are using anyone's map - electronic or other wise - to either already have some first hand knowledge of the area to validate that the results are correct - or to spend some time looking around the results to verify that they are correct.

I have had GPS units try to send me across the country and to the "correct address" in the wrong zip code - generally caused by lack of up to date info in the device - or lack of sufficiently explicit data entry on my part.
  • Reply 130 of 153
    I have never understood what was so great about Google's maps, I for one would never use it. I found third party apps like Garmin to be much more useful. As far as the new maps app is concerned I have yet to find a problem, and for those that have I'm sure it is frustrating. I'm not saying we should give Apple a pass on this but with my experiences it is already better than the alternative.
  • Reply 131 of 153
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member

Quote:

Originally Posted by softeky View Post

I live in Brooklyn, NY and the result I get (the same as in the above picture) on iOS 6 is also in Brooklyn. This looks to me like a correct search result. I will try the same search tonight when I am in Manhattan and see if Apple is taking my current location for clues to how to complete the incomplete search request used as the test.

When I use a complete search request:

315 e 15th st manhattan ny

I get the same result as the Razr

I seem to recall in the early days of Google maps, leaving out a comma before the "ny" would result in an incorrect location. Building a maps database from scratch is a huge undertaking. Apple have hit the mark running, I'm sure they will address (pun intended) these kinds of issues as they are brought to their attention. Having said that, I'm not sure Apple's returned result is incorrect as specified.

So what we really need it to overhaul the US Postal system to do away with duplicate address and street names etc and start using UUIDs for each location - no, no, I don't live at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue Northwest, Washington, DC I live at 38.90x-77.04 - hmmm do we need North and South in there as well? N38W77 image

• Reply 132 of 153
    Not that I think the apple maps are that great, but to be fair: the location provided by Apple is technically correct even if it is part of Brooklyn rather than Manhattan. Since there is nothing actually located at 315 e 15 in Manhattan, who is the one that is actually wrong?
  • Reply 133 of 153

"In one example highlighted by AppleInsider, a search for the city of Columbia, S.C., returns the city of Santiago De Cali in the nation of Colombia."

Of course, if you correctly enter Columbia, SC it works fine ...

• Reply 134 of 153
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    matrix07 wrote: »
    True. I think it's all fair game. Don't want competitors to ridicule? Make a better product like you always do.
    Exactly ... Anybody remember "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC"?

People claiming Apple is above ridiculing the competition seriously need to get the Koolaide pumped from their stomachs.

I just looked up a Walmart in the area, and was shown one a mile away located apparently in someone's basement in a residential neighborhood ... 9 miles from the nearest known Walmart.

Apple absolutely needed to break ties from Google for all sorts of reasons, they just should have done it correctly, rather than to let their anger cloud their judgement to rush to market an unfinished product. Siri was bad enough, but people didn't rely on Siri ... It was a novelty. Maps on the other hand was important, Apple knew this which is why they positioned it as THE key feature of iOS 6. When the key feature turns out to be a Beta, then that's a fail. So unfortunately Apple deserves everying they are getting.
  • Reply 135 of 153
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member

I just typed "315 e15 ny" in Google Maps on my MBP and it gave me 315 West 39th Street.

Google Maps has frequently given me wrong instructions.  It seems to have a particularly hard time with addresses in Queens, NY.     It's also frequently given me correct instructions and is an invaluable tool.    If you think about the complexity of the problem, especially for routing, I'm amazed that anyone can do a decent job.    Most of the time, I know immediately when it's wrong.    Some years ago, I was driving from Vermont to New Hampshire and it gave me instructions that once I got there, I knew had to be incredibly wrong.    Good thing I went with my instinct as Google would have taken me in the opposite direction from where I needed to be.     It also got lots of small roads wrong in Cape Cod - showing them as continuous roads when they were actually dead ends.  

I played with Apple's new maps at the Apple Store over the weekend and I found their maps on the new iPhone to be better looking in both map and satellite views than Google's and far faster to navigate.   If you combine that with spoken turn-by-turn, Apple wins IMO.      Personally, I think Apple should let Google sell or give away an app so users can make a choice based on how well each application serves their needs.     If Apple's is truly superior, than people will use it.    I do think Apple MUST add public transportation to their maps.   I know that California is still mostly a car culture (in spite of the new Los Angeles subway), but Boston, New York, San Francisco (to some extent) and almost all European, Asian  and many Latin American cities have very strong public transportation systems.   I think they also have to add bike routing, which Google had in Beta.    That shouldn't be difficult because it's not that different than routing for pedestrians.  

On my old 3G, Google's Maps app was almost always useless, because it was incredibly slow and would constantly lock-up.   By the time it found something, I was there. 

I think people are confusing two different issues.    If you type a street or location and it gives you the wrong place and it's obvious that it's the wrong place, I think that's far less of a problem then when it gives you the wrong route to a place.   When it's obvious, as in the Google case above, you can retype a better search and find the correct place.   

• Reply 136 of 153

I do often have a data connection, I put a local sim in my unlocked iphone 4 and I used EDGE where available as 3G often isn't. Or I cache as much map as I can from the occasional bit of wifi I can find. With a wired internet connection in a hotel I can activate internet sharing on my old MB air and connect my phone like that to cache maps and sync Google Places.

Google Maps also seems to be much faster to render pages than Apple Maps, particularly over a slow connection. GPS will work with or without a data connections. GSM helps with accuracy.

• Reply 137 of 153

Quote:

Originally Posted by eksodos View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

To be fair, Apple has done it too. Remember that they based a whole campaign on mocking Microsoft?

Yes, of course. When you're the cool underdog, that's what you do. Apple isn't the underdog in this space, they are the leaders, so they don't speak of competitors in commercials. 

I think the Samsung ads are well done. And quite funny. But maybe that's because I can't picture myself in a long line waiting dozens of hours for Apple to sell me a new phone. image

You also can't blame Google/Motorola for having some fun at Apple's expense over this. It's an open goal people, why wouldn't they stick one in the back of the net?

Yeah... What goes around, comes around... I wonder if Motorola will be around when it does...

• Reply 138 of 153
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Rosstheboss, I am trying to figure out how you are getting accurate map information from a mobile device when you don't have any type of data connection. Everytime I have used Google Maps it requires some sort of internet connection to pull up data.

oth, as I understand it, Apple has some sort of plan for offline maps in their mapping program in the future. For Google, that is not a great option since their business is all based on driving you to their websites.

Google Maps for Android allows you to download up to 6 map segments of 80MB each to use as on-board maps. Useful for those times that you may not have a cellular or wi-fi connection.

... and yes you can apparently call up navigation directions to locations on those maps and do POI searches without a data connection. Just make sure GPS is turned on.

• Reply 139 of 153
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

I played with Apple's new maps at the Apple Store over the weekend and I found their maps on the new iPhone to be better looking in both map and satellite views than Google's and far faster to navigate.  

I find the aerial views in Apple maps much inferior. They are at least a couple zoom levels less than the Google Maps. That is for places around Irvine California, where I work. As far as Central America is concerned, forget about it. What used to be clear high res color views in my area have been replaced with horrible grayscale blurry low res images which are completely useless. Before I was able to see the individual shrubs in my yard and the individual branches on the trees where as now I can't even find my house.

• Reply 140 of 153
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCK75 View Post

Seriously, if the shoe were on the other foot and Google or Samsung or whomever released a mapping product with this many problems, errors, and incorrect information would the response this board be "Give them time"?  Especially if the company was boasting that their product was superior?

I think not.

I wonder why Samsung phones ship with Navigon pre-installed?

Why are they giving away an alternative to Google maps, if they are as "essential" as you would like to make out?