Motorola ad slams Apple's iOS 6 Maps as 'iLost'

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 153

Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

Apple had GPS issues of their own on the 4S. Most of the complaints about poor battery life stemmed from defective GPSes. A friend of mine got one of the affected phones, and her battery problems disappeared as soon as I told her to shut down Location Services (also told her to have the phone replaced, but she didn't appear to care enough).

Pretty sure I'm not talking about apps.

"Location Services" refers to the software and "defective GPSes" seemingly refers to hardware, so which is it?

Quote:

Pretty sure I mentioned the iPhone 4S specifically, and you even quoted it.

Apple had GPS issues of their own on the 4S. Most of the complaints about poor battery life stemmed from defective GPSes. A friend of mine got one of the affected phones, and her battery problems disappeared as soon as I told her to shut down Location Services (also told her to have the phone replaced, but she didn't appear to care enough). Not saying the problem is the same here, but your personal experience doesn't mean anything.

"Hi, I'm a Mac! And I'm a PC..."

I have, and to me they suck as they can't even find mine or any of the neighboring streets here, it's even worse than finding them elsewhere, which would be acceptable because these streets are all named after cities in other countries, and without being able to perform reliable searches the app is pretty much useless, because search for addresses is what I use it mostly for. The fact that these streets are all charted on the map and this issue has existed since day 1 in the beta makes the situation even worse as it's not just the data that's crap but the software as well. Lastly the software is noticeably slower and power hungrier than the old maps, and despite the move to vectorial data (which was supposed to reduce the amount of data one needs to load from the Internet), it's actually loading slower than Google Maps ever did and rendering at a much lower frame rate.

Apple ditching Google may be good for them, but I am not them and I don't work for them, so it's not good for me and it actually degrades the quality of their service. Like the first poster mentioned, Apple is putting their politics ahead of their customers and deserve the crap they're getting over this.

I'm sure you can report cases where Google Maps can't even find stuff that's perfectly charted on the map, then.

Folks forget that Apple bought several mapping companies and is licensing data from a lot of third party providers. The current solution doesn't differ much from what they got from Google, but the user experience does.

Really?  That's your full post above.  Looks like you mention your friends 4S but don't say anything about what your phone is... I see you mention it in a later post.  Maybe you were just confused?

Quote:

There are plenty of them all over the Internet. Take this one for an example. Same thing happens where I live, a search for my own street returns nothing despite the fact that it is correctly charted on the map and dropping a pin shows the correct address. For obvious reasons, I will not reveal my location.

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't know Apple was so poor they couldn't afford to actually pay Google for extra Maps services while at the same time being able to afford paying lots of third parties to offer a clearly subpar service...

Yes, but searching for a street name that's right outside my window complete with city and country name copy-pasted from the address returned by a dropped pin isn't one of them.

The example you link is where someone typed in a city without a country.  That happens when you search in Google as well-- I put in "Ontario" and it give me "Ontario, California" instead of "Ontario, Canada".  Guess Goggle is the worst maps on Earth then and we should all run away screaming.

I didn't ask for your home address-- you said "they suck as they can't even find mine or any of the neighboring streets here," so I figured you'd have tons of examples.  Guess you don't really have any examples of your own.

• Reply 142 of 153

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

I'm beginning to question the cognitive abilities of the people in this forum. Do you really think I alone would be able to pull 25k views of Google Maps in a single day? Don't you understand that those restrictions are in place to prevent developers from using Google Maps to serve several people at the same time without giving anything in return?

Haha... yeah, it's HIS cognitive abilities that are at question.  From TFA:

Quote:

Sites will receive 25,000 free map views per day

A site is not a person; it's a site.  YOU don't get 25k views; the SITE gets 25k views.  See the difference?  Every time a page on the site loads with a map it contributes to the 25k total.  After that 25k the developer pays.  If a site has more than 25k visitors a day, and everyone sees even a SINGLE map, the developer pays money.  Is that clear?

• Reply 143 of 153

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Yeah, but the "I'm a Mac" ads spoke the truth. ;)

So does this one, whether we like it or not. :) (Truth wasn't the point of the comment.)

• Reply 144 of 153
    Actually I like this layout much better. I always read this site on my iPhone and it was damn near impossible to read the comments section in its last incarnation. Pretty much just gave up going to AI for the longest time because of it. Just happen to pop back in and am pleasantly surprised.
  • Reply 145 of 153
    Give it time people, we can't expect Apple to deliver a "perfect" product every time. As long as Apple acknowledges the problem it will be fixed.

Hack, I don't think majority of iphone user even care if the new map is not up to Google map's accuracy....these articles assumes every single user hates the new map app..when in reality, just a few dozen tech journalists writing stuff to make a living.
  • Reply 146 of 153
    Steve Jobs would have NEVER allowed this to happen. This is the world without Steve. What a nightmare that's happening.
  • Reply 147 of 153
    On interesting advantage to iOS 6 Maps are roads in mainland China.
  • Reply 148 of 153

Quote:

Originally Posted by allmypeople View Post

Apple's grudge against Google > Apple's users

Competitors are right to hit them for this.

GMaps was soooooo important in my daily life and Maps doesn't cut it AT ALL where I live in Canada.

I'm not a jailbreaking type of person but I most definitely will now, to get GMaps back.

You don't need to, open Safari and go to maps.google.com

IT REALLY IS THAT SIMPLE!

If you like Google Maps then for God sake use Google Maps, we aren't stopping you, Apple aren't stopping you.

• Reply 149 of 153

Apple adverts - Look at what our products can do.

Competitor adverts - Look at that silly mistake that Apple made.

It's worth noting that the error noted by Motorola has been fixed.

• Reply 150 of 153
    evilution wrote: »
    Apple adverts - Look at what our products can do.

Competitor adverts - Look at that silly mistake that Apple made.

It's worth noting that the error noted by Motorola has been fixed.

Thank you Motorola for your crowd sourcing submission. Your ad was accurate for about 36 hours.
  • Reply 151 of 153

Originally Posted by elehcdn View Post

Thank you Motorola for your crowd sourcing submission. Your ad was accurate for about 36 hours.

This is what Apple means when they say that Maps will be improved by people using it.

• Reply 152 of 153
    zogzogzogzog Posts: 14member

Apple Map is unusable in Japan. Tokyo's main domestic airport labeled as a paper factory, a museum located in middle of a river, Tokyo Bay renamed "North Pacific Ocean," subway stations that do not actually exist, random place names shown in Korean (no, I do not have Korean locale enabled anywhere on my iPhone)--and these are just what I personally encountered over the past week in Tokyo. It's really too bad, as the software seems to be well written and smoother than the old Map app. But a map app is only as good as its data. 

I bought an iPhone 5 anyway because the built-in map app is not a deal-killer--there are plenty of replacements. For the past week, I've been using Google's web app , which works just fine. That does not excuse Apple for releasing the most useless piece of crap software I have seen come out of Cupertino since, oh, QuickDraw GX and OpenDoc. (Well, OS X 10.0 was pretty bad, too, but we all knew that was developer beta in all but name.)