AuthenTec to reportedly ditch non-Apple customers in 2013

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Fingerprint sensor maker AuthenTec on Monday reportedly notified existing customers that it will not be offering its security technology to the companies starting next year, causing a "state of panic" as the firms scramble to find comparable replacements.

In an email to its customers, which includes Samsung, HP, Dell, Lenovo and Fujitsu, Apple acquisition AuthenTec reportedly said it will no longer be honoring orders come 2013, a source told Korean language website etnews.

The announcement may be an indication of what Apple plans to do with the company and its technology after purchasing the firm in July for $356 million. AuthenTec is well known for its work in fingerprint sensor tech and it was rumored that Apple might be looking to implement the biometric security asset into an upcoming iPhone.

A filing with the U.S. Security and Exchange Commission in August hinted at an advanced piece of hardware dubbed the "Smart Sensor" was key to Apple's acquisition. The sophisticated component goes further than simple fingerprint scanning by acting as a full-fledged touch pad controller, allowing UI navigation with one finger. The sensor is also capable of identifying different fingers which can be associated with certain tasks, like opening the phone app with a thumb or sending an email with a forefinger. One of the first companies to use the specialized part was Fujitsu with its Regza smartphone.

Smart Sensor
AuthenTec's Smart Sensor technology. | Source: AuthenTec

Before the iPhone 5 debuted on Sept. 12, rampant speculation pointed to inclusion of AuthenTec's sensors as part of a possible augmentation of Apple's Passbook app, which stores digital coupons, tickets and gift cards. The rumors turned out to be just that, however, as no biometric devices were found in the unit's teardown.

While it remains unclear what Apple plans to do with AuthenTec's IP, for now the Cupertino company seems content in leveraging its new purchase to disrupt rival manufacturers' plans for fingerprint-based security.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member

Apple has something big up their sleeve...

• Reply 2 of 40
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Fingerprint verification to unlock next iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch would be nice.

And it needs to be extremely accurate and secure, not like that crappy Google face unlock feature, which is just a gimmick and a joke.

• Reply 3 of 40

Next big thing for the iPhone 5S?

• Reply 4 of 40
    I'm guessing the next iteration of the iPad will include fingerprint tech, especially if they decide to make an edition for sales/corporations or a military version.
  • Reply 5 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rokrad View Post

Next big thing for the iPhone 5S?

Where the "S" will stand for "Secure."

• Reply 6 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Where the "S" will stand for "Secure."

Apple should mess with people and call the next phone for iPhone 6, since everybody is expecting a 5s now. 

• Reply 7 of 40
    There have been many comments about the Near Field chip not being in the iPhone -- but what good is a payment chip that anyone can grab your iPhone and use? That is SO not the Apple way. They will work as hard as they need to on it, to make it the right experience -- and that's why I'm not a bit worried about the maps app not being as good as google, in some places, and for the time being.
  • Reply 8 of 40
    Can you smell what the Apple is cooking?!
  • Reply 9 of 40
    I hope they fixed that pesky "storing passwords in nearly plain text" problem that was discovered recently in their software. http://www.informationweek.com/security/vulnerabilities/laptop-fingerprint-readers-vulnerable-to/240006528
  • Reply 10 of 40
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DethByUngaBunga View Post

Can you smell what the Apple is cooking?!

Is it half baked?

• Reply 11 of 40

Hehehe... for a few hundred mill Apple bought something more useful than Google got for 13 Billion!

THIS will be the "NeXT Big Thing!" Chairs will be thrown, plastic phones will be broken, monkeys will dance!

• Reply 12 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I'm guessing the next iteration of the iPad will include fingerprint tech, especially if they decide to make an edition for sales/corporations or a military version.

I would definitely buy a special edition military iPad, if it came with these features.

(1) Bulletproof Kevlar backing. Can withstand a 357 Magnum shot.

(2) Ultra secure fingerprint verification technology

(3) Small explosive charge built into it, which is accessible from "Find my iPhone" app. If the iPad is lost or stolen, the device can be blown up remotely.

(4) Jihad resistant

(5) Solar charging

• Reply 13 of 40
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DogCowabunga View Post

There have been many comments about the Near Field chip not being in the iPhone -- but what good is a payment chip that anyone can grab your iPhone and use? That is SO not the Apple way. They will work as hard as they need to on it, to make it the right experience -- and that's why I'm not a bit worried about the maps app not being as good as google, in some places, and for the time being.

Exactly. NFC isn't widely available. I've been to a dozen stores over the weekend and only McD's had NFC devices.

• Reply 14 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Exactly. NFC isn't widely available. I've been to a dozen stores over the weekend and only McD's had NFC devices.

I thought I read they cancelled their NFC trials. Have you a link?

• Reply 15 of 40

What good is a plastic card that anybody can grab and use? With a debut card you have a PIN. With NFC SW you can have a PIN. NFC is inarguably more secure than RFID, plastic cards, and paper and coin money.
  • Reply 16 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

What good is a plastic card that anybody can grab and use? With a debut card you have a PIN. With NFC SW you can have a PIN. NFC is inarguably more secure than RFID, plastic cards, and paper and coin money.

Isn't NFC the same as RFID? Personally I prefer credit cards and debit cards although it is important to understand the difference. I also use cash occasionally. One thing that annoys me is that at grocery stores they don't check picture ID at all. If the card is approved you are good to go. I wonder how many stolen cards go through there. At Wines and More they always check picture ID and everyone gets upset as if they are unfairly judging people's integrity but I like that policy.

• Reply 17 of 40
    I thought part of the AuthenTec deal was that it'll stay as an Apple wholly-owned subsidiary?
  • Reply 18 of 40
    mstone wrote: »
    Isn't NFC the same as RFID? Personally I prefer credit cards and debit cards although it is important to understand the difference. I also use cash occasionally. One thing that annoys me is that at grocery stores they don't check picture ID at all. If the card is approved you are good to go. I wonder how many stolen cards go through there. At Wines and More they always check picture ID and everyone gets upset as if they are unfairly judging people's integrity but I like that policy.

1) No, NFC has roots in RFID but it's not RFID. Even Japan's FeliCa isn't NFC even though there are many innovations in FeliCa that are used for the NFC standards.

2) The great thing about NFC that you simply don't have with RFID, plastic cards or paper/metal currency is that NFC creates a very short closed-circuit loop. This requires the two devices to be only a few inches from each other and it does help facilitate a very secure authentication. There are plenty of sites that explain this. Wiki does a good job (I helped write some of it). Is it 100% secure? Of course not, but nothing is, but it's design is more secure than other options.

3) I find it odd that I only get asked for my ID when it comes to oddly small purchases that I doubt a thief would attempt if looking for a fast score.

4) I don't sign my cards. I don't want someone having my card and also having my signature on top of it. I write SEE ID on the back... not that anyone asks.

5) For all online purchases and any place that I think might be shady I never use my bank cards. I only use a low-limit CC that I pay off weekly. If it gets stolen they can only ever have access to $1000 which will be refunded posthaste. They also send me email announcements of purchases but they are pointlessly two days after I make the purchases.

6) Note that Apple has set up a great chess game. They have tested purchases in their stores with their Apple Store app that will use your iTS account to make a purchase via the CC you have on file and they now have Passbook that will use a geofence to pop up store cards et al. when you are in the vicinity of a store. When they get the right NFC HW, the right NFC SW, the right NFC partnerships they will be able to tie that all together into a get service we will all wonder how we lived without it.
  • Reply 19 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Apple should mess with people and call the next phone for iPhone 6, since everybody is expecting a 5s now. 

Ha Ha or like the iPad just call it the new iPhone lol.

• Reply 20 of 40
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    NFC?!?!

Hmmm I guess it has it's place if Amazon goes dark... lol

/kidding

... Yea NFC fast food and NFC gas are usefull... Hmm, NFC vending machines now THAT would actually be a real useful thing ... I usually find myself in front of one when I got a few twenty dollar bills and one grunge-crumpled single when the soda cost 1.75 .. :(