iPhone 5 outperforms Samsung's Galaxy S III in display test

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A comprehensive side-by-side examination of the Apple and Samsung flagship smartphones was performed by display testing firm DisplayMate Technologies, which found the iPhone 5's 4-inch Retina display to be more refined than the OLED unit found in the Galaxy S III.

DisplayMate's "Flagship Smartphone Display Technology Shoot-Out" not only pitted the iPhone 5 against the Galaxy S III, but added in the iPhone 4's Retina display to show how Apple's display technology has advanced over the past two years.

The test consisted of numerous tests covering screen reflections, brightness and contrast, colors and intensities, viewing angles, display power consumption and effect on battery life.

"Apple has uncharacteristically understated how much better the display is on the iPhone 5 ? something that could be an important factor for those considering whether to upgrade," said DisplayMate's Dr. Raymond Soneira. "In every category that we measure (except Brightness Decrease with Viewing Angle), the performance of the iPhone 5 display has improved over the iPhone 4, sometimes by a bit and sometimes by a lot."

Compared to the iPhone 4, the iPhone 5 has decreased screen reflectance by 52 percent, boosted contrast by 57 percent and improved color accuracy. Soneira notes the iPhone 5's display calibration is very good and, while suffering from minor gamma intensity, that "It is still probably more accurate than any display you own, unless you have a new iPad."

Display Test
Source: DisplayMate Technologies

Highlights from the iPhone 5 test:
[?] it is the Brightest Smartphone we have tested in the Shoot-Out series, it has one of the lowest screen Reflectance values we have ever measured, it has the highest Contrast Rating for High Ambient Light for any Mobile device we have ever tested, and it?s Color Gamut and Factory Calibration are second only to the new iPad. What are the downsides? The White Point is still somewhat too blue like most Smartphones, and at Maximum Brightness it has a shorter Running Time than the iPhone 4, which is not surprising since it has a larger screen and a larger Color Gamut but roughly the same capacity battery.
As for Samsung's Galaxy S III, the device's PenTile display performed admirably, but the OLED technology the screen leverages is still being perfected and is not up to par with the LCD tech used in the iPhone 5.

Overall Assessments

Highlights from the Galaxy S III test:
The Brightness is about half of the iPhone 5 due to power limits from the lower power efficiency of OLEDs and concerns regarding premature OLED aging. The Color Gamut is not only much larger than the Standard Color Gamut, which leads to distorted and exaggerated colors, but the Color Gamut is quite lopsided, with Green being a lot more saturated than Red or Blue, which adds a Green color caste to many images. Samsung has not bothered to correct or calibrate their display colors to bring them into closer agreement with the Standard sRGB / Rec.709 Color Gamut, so many images appear over saturated and gaudy. Running Time on battery is less than the iPhone 5 due to the lower power efficiency of OLEDs, even given that the Galaxy S III has a much larger battery capacity and much lower Brightness.

Overall, the iPhone 5 scored an "A" rating while the Galaxy S III earned a "B+" on poor calibration and viewing angle issues.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 111

But but but but but but butt!

• Reply 2 of 111
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    But...but..but... All the fandroids have been whining... ahem... "preaching" to us lowly joe-consumers how superior OLED is to LCD!! It can't be right!!

Oh wait... sorry. Keep forgetting that Fandroids have the false belief that they know what's best in tech.
  • Reply 3 of 111

Whoop Dee Doo

• Reply 4 of 111
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    ...and it matters to very few but those bent on some silly 'Team This vs Team That' nonsense.

Reasonable people just buy what they want and don't bother worrying about what others do.
  • Reply 5 of 111

but... but... but... iPhone 5 display it's the same as iPhone 4S display, only streched. Well, bad news! It´s not the same! It's much better and superior to S3 !

• Reply 6 of 111
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Apple 4.0" ISP LCD >>>>>>>> 4.8" Samsung Pentile crap

iPhone 5 >>>>>>>>> Samsung Galaxy SIII

Apple user >>>>>>>>> Brainwashed Fandroid

• Reply 7 of 111

Even the nearly two and a half year old iPhone 4 gets a better screen score than the Galaxy S III.

That's pretty sad. 

For the fandroids, that is. It's obviously good for Apple, and I couldn't care less what Samsung feels.

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

...and it matters to very few but those bent on some silly 'Team This vs Team That' nonsense.

Reasonable people just buy what they want and don't bother worrying about what others do.

And unreasonable people whine that scores don't matter only when their team is losing. And buy two of every device on the market.

• Reply 8 of 111
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

So, based on what I've seen, the Galaxy S III has failed the Android Authority drop test, failed the processor speed tests (even though Apple's A6 is running at a lower clock speed), failed the screen test.  What's next?  The battery test? That should be EASY.

So what really does the Samsung S III really have that's better?  A larger screen?  WOW.

• Reply 9 of 111

Samsung can´t keep the size of their phone... S1 was one size, S2 bigger, S3 bigger !!!!  In 5 years... samsung fans will carry a 10 inch smartphone :)

• Reply 10 of 111

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

So what really does the Samsung S III really have that's better?  A larger screen?

A worse larger screen!

• Reply 11 of 111
    ...the Color Gamut is quite lopsided, with Green being a lot more saturated than Red or Blue, which adds a Green color caste to many images.

Considering it has 2x as many Green pixels as it has Blue or Red pixels this isn't surprising.

Also, since we're not dealing with RGB-RGB but RG-BG subpixels I don't think it's accurate to simply state the pixels whilst ignoring an inferior subpixel arrangement. The Phone 5 has 978 SPPI (subpixels per inch) while the Samsung SII only has 612 SPPI.

That said, Samsung's innovation here to create a chapter, lower-power display is an achievement for AMOLED but it is no way the same league as the iPhone's displays over the years and is a very odd choice considering that the SIII is Samsung's flagship device. Imagine if Apple decided to cut the quality of the display down considerably to make it cheaper? Do you think the Android crowd would be quiet about that? I don't think so.
  • Reply 12 of 111

For the fandroids, that is. It's obviously good for Apple, and I couldn't care less what Samsung feels.
    And unreasonable people whine that scores don't matter only when their team is losing. And buy two of every device on the market.

Sure... Whatever...

Which still makes my opinion, which comes from a vantage point of Actually Owning These Devices, vastly more relevant/credible than some over-zealous, divisive rhetoric spewing brand-fanatic to whom 'scores don't matter when their team is losing'.

http://imageshack.us/a/img37/7893/p1000616m.jpg

• Reply 13 of 111

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Thank you for showing that you do indeed buy everything on the market, showing that you buy what you want, not necessarily what you'd actually need or be able to reasonably use.

• Reply 14 of 111

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Sure... Whatever...

Which still makes my opinion, which comes from a vantage point of Actually Owning These Devices, vastly more relevant/credible

No. But it *does* make it more anecdotal. 

• Reply 15 of 111
    Thank you for showing that you do indeed buy everything on the market, showing that you buy what you want, not necessarily what you'd actually need or be able to reasonably use.

Actually... I merely buy exacly what I want/when I want because I have the means, doing so without the slightest concern/regard for your input. ;-)
  • Reply 16 of 111
    daharder wrote: »
    Sure... Whatever...
    Which still makes my opinion, which comes from a vantage point of Actually Owning These Devices, vastly more relevant/credible than some over-zealous, divisive rhetoric spewing brand-fanatic to whom 'scores don't matter when their team is losing'.

Show use the images of people's faces between both devices if you think that PenTile is so damn superior.
  • Reply 17 of 111
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Show use the images of people's faces between both devices if you think that PenTile is so damn superior.

Hmmm... Never once did I say anything about something being 'superior', therefore your little profane tirade is rendered MOOT.
  • Reply 18 of 111
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    daharder wrote: »
    Sure... Whatever...

Is that thing on the right from Toys R Us?
  • Reply 19 of 111
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Samsung [Galaxy S III]... images appear over saturated and gaudy.

I call it crappy.

Note that Samsung recognizes full well how crappy the S III display is, as evidenced by the color adjustment made in the published "It doesn't take a genius" ads:

http://cdn.gottabemobile.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/SAM12172-PrintWSJ10.87x21_copy_610x1179.jpg

In person, the unadulterated image looks more like this:

http://cdn.pocket-lint.com/images/G150/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-touchwiz-ux-ui-0.jpg?20120504-154218

EE-YUCK!

(and that doesn't even illustrate the over-emphasized green).

Oh, I know, millions of Fandroids out there are saying, "Look at the colors, George! The colors!"

• Reply 20 of 111
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Considering it has 2x as many Green pixels as it has Blue or Red pixels this isn't surprising.
    Also, since we're not dealing with RGB-RGB but RG-BG subpixels I don't think it's accurate to simply state the pixels whilst ignoring an inferior subpixel arrangement.

Camera sensors have two green sites for each red and blue site, I'm surprised they didn't make better adjustments to account for what is likely a very easily solved problem.