Google's Schmidt offers strong words regarding Apple Maps flap

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Google Chairman Eric Schmidt on Tuesday confirmed a new version of its popular iOS mapping app has not yet been submitted to Apple, adding that the iPhone maker's decision to switch to a new proprietary solution was perhaps a misstep.

Speaking to Reuters during a visit to Japan to promote Google's Nexus 7 tablet, Schmidt confirmed that the company hasn't made any moves toward launching an iOS 6 compatible version of Google Maps, officially quashing a rumor which said the app was already under review by Apple.

The executive didn't stop there, however, and said Apple's move to replace Google Maps was a mistake.

"We think it would have been better if they had kept ours. But what do I know?" Schmidt remarked. "What were we going to do, force them not to change their mind? It's their call."

With iOS 6 and the iPhone 5, Apple Maps supplanted Google Maps as the mobile operating system's default mapping service, with new features like free turn-by-turn navigation and unique 3D "Flyover" capabilities. Apple's in-house solution is far from polished, however, and a number of critics said the switch may have been premature.

Maps

As for when Apple may allow a new Google Maps app into the App Store, Schmidt had no comment on the matter besides affirming he wants to continue whatever partnership can be salvaged from the somewhat broken relationship.

"I'm not doing any predictions. We want them to be our partner. We welcome that," Schmidt said. "I'm not going to speculate at all what they're going to do. They can answer that question as they see fit."

The Google chairman maintains that no app has been provided to Apple and gave no hints as to when the software would be submitted.

"We have not done anything yet," Schmidt said. He did mention, however, that Google has "been talking with (Apple) for a long time. We talk to them every day."

Apple itself admitted that its iOS Maps app was a work in progress and promised continued refinement of the new service. The statement is in line with recent reports of job listings advertising software engineering positions for the company's Maps Team.

Motorola
Motorola's "iLost" ads poke fun at Apple's Maps flap.

While Schmidt claimed to have no thoughts on Apple's Maps plans, he did take the opportunity to offer conjecture as to why Android enjoys a superior market share compared to iOS.

"Apple is the exception, and the Android system is the common model, which is why our market share is so much higher," Schmidt quipped. He went on to say that the media was "obsessed with Apple's marketing events and Apple's branding," and largely ignores Android's success.

"That's great for Apple but the numbers are on our side," he said.

Tuesday's news doesn't offer much information about a possible Google Maps for iOS launch timeline, though the company's desire to maintain a presence on iOS is no secret. Most recently the search giant released a standalone YouTube app following Apple's announcement that the familiar first-party app would no longer be included with iOS 6.

Despite keeping up appearances in public, there is a definite undercurrent of mild hostility flowing between the two companies, evidenced by Schmidt's quick aside during his Nexus 7 presentation. When showing off a new Google Maps 3D feature which uses the tablet's internal sensors to manipulate the onscreen UI rather than touch gestures, Schmidt said, "Take that Apple," quickly adding, "That was a joke by the way."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 137
    lerxtlerxt Posts: 186member
    Google's response is almost as bad as Apple's decision in the first place. Stop being smarmy, both of you, and get Google maps back on. For the sake of the consumer.
  • Reply 2 of 137
    Naturally Schmidt has to defend android and his decision to wreck google's relationship with apple. What else is he going to say? But if I were a google shareholder, I would not find his marketshare numbers very comforting. I would be more focused on profitability. Google has figured out a way to both steal other people's IP AND lose money on it.

Once google shareholders realize the magnitude of this f-up, I doubt Schmidt and rubin will survive. Maybe the founders will survive, but I wouldn't count on that either.
  • Reply 3 of 137
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

Google's response is almost as bad as Apple's decision in the first place. Stop being smarmy, both of you, and get Google maps back on. For the sake of the consumer.

I wonder how much Google will charge for it, now that Apple has shown they don't want to pay Google's new licensing rates?

Google is a business not a charity.

• Reply 4 of 137
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member

Given a short period of time, Maps will be fine.

The important numbers are on Apple's side, Eric. Those numbers with dollar signs in front of them.

"the media was "obsessed with Apple's marketing events and Apple's branding," and largely ignores Android's success." The media is obsessed with finding fault with Apple, you mean.

• Reply 5 of 137
    Dear Mr. Schmidt:

Give Apple about a year or so and you'll see why they did what they did. We all know you were holding back features you made exclusive to Android and wanted to renegotiate a five-year contract for some insane amount. Controlling their destiny was the only option. And hey, my privacy and data isn't being sold out to pay for it all.

Also, the reason Android is "number one", its because it's given away for free to people who don't know better a d would rather have an Apple product, not some knockoff that you stole from the company in the first place you two-faced liar. Everyone sees your dorky hypocrisy except you.
  • Reply 6 of 137
    I had a few good thoughts, but was greeted with this. Apparently I can not paste from my iPad. Now it's time to move on.
  • Reply 7 of 137
    Apple should just fix this "for the sake of the consumer" and then evolve into a Google
    maps "killer app" over the next iPhone iteration.

IMO The potential of the Apple Maps is far greater than what Google offers anyway.

"Don't ever go back to an "old girlfriend". You know within minutes why you ever broke up in the first place"
  • Reply 8 of 137
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    lerxt wrote: »

So far the iPhone has been awesome for us in here Florida for turn by turn driving. Blows away our Garmin. I love the Fly over feature but look forward to this rapidly expanding to far more cities and eventually the entire globe. The 3D system will expand fast since it is an automated computer system dependent only on the fly over data. Mapping data will also improve in accuracy rapidly.

(I say this for any newbies not OP) As a stop gap if you have to use Google just use Safari by to going to http://maps.google.com and bookmark as a home page. You can do the same with YouTube, simply create your own home screen icon in Safari. I appreciate apps are more powerful and offer more features but they will come soon. Google has little choice given iOS represents 90% or more of all mobile web traffic, they cannot afford to depend on ad revenues from the few Androids in real use.

Given Google ripped off iOS, most likely thanks the Schmidt abusing his position as a trusted member of the Apple Board of Directors (see Android prior to iOS it was to be a 'real keyboard' rip off of RIM's system, not a touch screen system at all) this is a very understandable move by Apple. If iOS is to have a built in mapping system let it be Apple's own. Why on earth would they allow the biggest back stabbing traitors in the software world a foot hold inside iOS?

Apple maps will develop and improve fast and far surpass Google's in the next few years. Being vector based not pixel based it has far more potential in all areas. Apple have yet to implement many features that the SAAB military system had yet. I suspect it may have hidden thermonuclear potential, after all it was a military attack system originally / wink
  • Reply 9 of 137
    hill60 wrote: »
    I wonder how much Google will charge for it, now that Apple has shown they don't want to pay Google's new licensing rates?

Google is a business not a charity.

It will be free. The business model Google has is simply give crap away free and sit back and collect ad sales money on volume usage.

Google just lost potentially up to 90% of mobile web traffic on iOS (obviously only applies to iOS 6 on supporting models but never the less a massive and rapidly growing proportion). There are simply very few Android used in the real world for an ad revenue based business model, Google will be desperate to salvage what they can on ad revenues from iOS. The good news is they are screwed.
  • Reply 10 of 137
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Anyone who wants Google maps on their iPhone can get them here: http://maps.google.com
  • Reply 11 of 137

Can you try seeing this with a NON-US centric perspective ? I am elated that it works for (most) of the States of the Union, really am. But for most other states Apple Maps is a MAJOR step back. Some of the map data is soooo outdated it screams abuse. Berlin for instance has a new central railway station since (wait for it) 2006, but Apple maps still addresses it as the OLD railway station that used to be there.

GM has transit for Brussels and Paris AM does not. Yeah sure over time I can strap some other app to it like a band aid - but for the moment I have jack all.

Apple may be a US company, but it is time they acknowledge (also from their supported functions) that more than half their money is done somewhere else. The European Union is as populated as the US, yet we get Apple functionality years and years afterwards.

• Reply 12 of 137
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Dear Eric,

Go Samsung yourself, schmidthead.

That is all.

Regards,
    The Smarter Consumers
  • Reply 13 of 137
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    Well put, Digi!

Doesn't affect me coz I keep a Garmin on the car windscreen (it's cheap, I wouldn't like to inadvertently leave my phone there).. but I do feel for those who'll have a underdone mapping solution until Apple and its users get Maps up to scratch.
  • Reply 14 of 137
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"We think it would have been better if they had kept ours. But what do I know?" Schmidt remarked. "What were we going to do, force them not to change their mind? It's their call."

Note how he conveniently ignores the fact that the ToS for Google Maps doesn't allow for navigation features such as turn-by-turn directions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by freelander51 View Post

Can you try seeing this with a NON-US centric perspective ? I am elated that it works for (most) of the States of the Union, really am. But for most other states Apple Maps is a MAJOR step back. Some of the map data is soooo outdated it screams abuse. Berlin for instance has a new central railway station since (wait for it) 2006, but Apple maps still addresses it as the OLD railway station that used to be there.

GM has transit for Brussels and Paris AM does not. Yeah sure over time I can strap some other app to it like a band aid - but for the moment I have jack all.

Google maps:  http://maps.google.com

• Reply 15 of 137
    enzos wrote: »
    Well put, Digi!
    Doesn't affect me coz I keep a Garmin on the car windscreen (it's cheap, I wouldn't like to inadvertently leave my phone there).. but I do feel for those who'll have a underdone mapping solution until Apple and its users get Maps up to scratch.

Yep we still have Garmin too but my wife was with me and used her iPhone to test out the new system and she loved it. I couldn't actually see it, just hear Siri. I agree I am not planning on sticking an iPhone on a holder on the window, I can just see me forgetting and leaving it there when I park. . The days of cars being broken into to steal Garmins have passed but I'd suspect an iPhone would be a different matter! Maybe down the road Apple will make a $100 stand alone car nav system, it'd be a real hit at Christmas!
  • Reply 16 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Given Google ripped off iOS, most likely thanks the Schmidt abusing his position as a trusted member of the Apple Board of Directors (see Android prior to iOS it was to be a 'real keyboard' rip off of RIM's system, not a touch screen system at all) this is a very understandable move by Apple. If iOS is to have a built in mapping system let it be Apple's own. Why on earth would they allow the biggest back stabbing traitors in the software world a foot hold inside iOS?

I'm sick of hearing this.  Unless you have some previous unknown evidence, that neither Apple or anyone else has ever provided, you're just talking bull about Schmidt abusing his position.  Seriously, stop posting fud.  I'll take anyone seriously on these forums, until they post something like this that has been debunked 1000+ times, at which point their credibility becomes zero.

Why is it that anything that is even slightly negative against Apple in posts get jumped on, and yet crap like this is constantly posted.  If Tallest Skil is allowed his "troll list", there should also be a FUD list that contains all the crap pro-Apple delusionalists keep spouting.

• Reply 17 of 137
    Apple had no choice really. They could not remain at the mercy of Google for its mapping feature, something so important to the heart of the phone itself. Google was deliberately holding back on features for the iOS version, making its droid version more desirable in a competitive environment.

A huge project such as mapping will take some time to reach its potential. Just like every other time Apple releases something like this, the media and nay sayers jump up and down and scream until a year or so later they are all on the bandwagon in a love fest.
  • Reply 18 of 137
    Mobile google apps does not give me compass navigation or street view. Even SJ was touting howpeople prefer native apps over web apps, and he was corret. While I'm sure everything is rosy in major us cities, the maps are unusable overseas. The mapping data is of low quality sometime even just black and white, there is no fly over and entire city blocks are missing. While I understand the business reasons as a consumer I expect a first class "it just works" experience from a premium priced product.

I also got no sympathy when a company with a stock pile of cash exceeding that of many countries rams a steaming pile of shit down my throat instead of sucking it up and licensing some first class mapping data. For my personal usage Maps is the only reason I choose a smart phone over a small phone with 3 weeks battery life.

Sad state of affairs that one simple app tarnishes and stops me from upgrading to some sweet new heart ware and my devices to what is a otherwise great os. Also the first time in years that I left the apple store without buying a product I was hell bent on buying. I actually started checking out the android phones but found the hardware offerings to be of low quality. What to do?
  • Reply 19 of 137
    Mobile google apps does not give me compass navigation or street view. Even SJ was touting howpeople prefer native apps over web apps, and he was corret. While I'm sure everything is rosy in major us cities, the maps are unusable overseas. The mapping data is of low quality sometime even just black and white, there is no fly over and entire city blocks are missing. While I understand the business reasons as a consumer I expect a first class "it just works" experience from a premium priced product.

I also got no sympathy when a company with a stock pile of cash exceeding that of many countries rams a steaming pile of shit down my throat instead of sucking it up and licensing some first class mapping data. For my personal usage Maps is the only reason I choose a smart phone over a small phone with 3 weeks battery life.

Sad state of affairs that one simple app tarnishes and stops me from upgrading to some sweet new heart ware and my devices to what is a otherwise great os. Also the first time in years that I left the apple store without buying a product I was hell bent on buying. I actually started checking out the android phones but found the hardware offerings to be of low quality. What to do?
  • Reply 20 of 137

Quote:

Originally Posted by freelander51 View Post

Apple may be a US company, but it is time they acknowledge (also from their supported functions) that more than half their money is done somewhere else. The European Union is as populated as the US, yet we get Apple functionality years and years afterwards.

The maps data is from TomTom, thats a Dutch firm, so it should be ok for the EU.

My experience is that maps works excellent in the Netherlands and that even the street I live in has the correct name (something Google maps didn't get right even after 5 years).

J.