Steve Wozniak says Apple Maps disappointing but issues not severe

Comments

• Reply 21 of 88
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I read that he's moving to Australia and wants to become Australian, because of their broadband network? image

WTF......

And he doesn't even have broadband at his house in the US? How can somebody like Steve Wozniak not have at least cable? Is he on dial up?

• Reply 22 of 88
    It's obvious that iOS Maps isn't at the same level as Google's mapping, but I too find it hard to believe that it's a crushing blow to Apple. They made a decision to move away from Google and I applaud that - they'll fix the issues with Maps and even if they didn't, as others have noted there are plenty of mapping apps for people to choose from.

I also find it strange that people seem to rely on maps so much. Are people really traveling to unknown places this much?
  • Reply 23 of 88
    lerxtlerxt Posts: 186member
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/152872/steve-wozniak-says-apple-maps-disappointing-but-issues-not-severe#post_2197886"]I read that he's moving to Australia and wants to become Australian, because of their broadband network? :lol:

WTF......

And he doesn't even have broadband at his house in the US? How can somebody like Steve Wozniak not have at least cable? Is he on dial up?

He probably likes Australia because it still has a good society, universal healthcare, a strong economy with little government debt, strong social services, a low population, great arts and fantastic beaches... But hey I'm biased...
  • Reply 24 of 88
    cmvsmcmvsm Posts: 204member
    I have the same issue with my Garmin, as at times, it has me going around and around but never reaching the destination, which is very aggravating. Not a whole lot of speak around that in the media.

That said, I agree with Woz, as I've used the maps application to go from Belcamp Maryland to West Palm Florida, and the origination and destinations were fine, and so were the turn by turn directions in between.

Now Siri, that is another story. I've always had great service with it on an iPhone, but for some reason, the iPad has a harder time with voice recognition and simply finding data. This is surprising, as I didn't notice the issue with simple voice dictation. I'm wondering if another server was created and perhaps the info takes longer to access? Not sure, but Apple needs to take a look.
  • Reply 25 of 88
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

He probably likes Australia because it still has a good society, universal healthcare, a strong economy with little government debt, strong social services, a low population, great arts and fantastic beaches... But hey I'm biased...

I haven't been to Australia, though I wouldn't mind visiting sometime, but I did find it strange that the main reason given by Wozniak was broadband. image

• Reply 26 of 88
    Woz uses Android!!!!! Apple must suck!
  • Reply 27 of 88

I don't know about the US but here in Australia the maps app went from being the killer feature on the iPhone to completely useless. The underlying data set for business searches is so hopeless using it is a complete waste of time.

What's even more frustrating is that the maps of Windows Phone 7, which used to be so so in comparison to iOS, is now leaps and bound better.

Unless Apple fixes this quick smart I think they will be loosing a lot of users to Windows Phone 8 once it launches in October / November.

Event Apple can't be that arrogant to think that nothing can touch them.

• Reply 28 of 88
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by stehsegler View Post

I don't know about the US but here in Australia the maps app went from being the killer feature on the iPhone to completely useless. The underlying data set for business searches is so hopeless using it is a complete waste of time.

What's even more frustrating is that the maps of Windows Phone 7, which used to be so so in comparison to iOS, is now leaps and bound better.

Unless Apple fixes this quick smart I think they will be loosing a lot of users to Windows Phone 8 once it launches in October / November.

Baloney. Complete, utter baloney.

• Reply 29 of 88

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectionist View Post

Who cares what he says? Who is he? A looser, who means nothing these days. Stop quoting him.

A 'Looser' eh? You ARE a perfectionist.

• Reply 30 of 88
    lerxtlerxt Posts: 186member
    Remember Nokia?
  • Reply 31 of 88
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    salterra wrote: »
    All navs have their problems. I used my Garmin to navigate while also using my iPhone. Both got me there but they disagreed on which side of the road was the destination. The iPhone said the destination was on the left while the Garmin said the right. The iPhone made the correct call.

Agreed. I've had occasional problems with every navigation system I've used. So far, in my limited time with iOS 6, I don't see any sign that it's any better or worse than the others in that regard.

I've had Google Maps, Mapquest, and Garmin all send me driving through a lake or river.
    freediverx wrote: »
    Quote:
    tomnryan wrote: »
    Why does Steve Wozniak's opinion matter?

The difference is whether he gets quoted on all the blogs every time he utters an opinion. We're all entitled to an opinion but the media should stop quoting people whose opinions shouldn't really matter.

Agreed. Wozniak is an uber-geek who can't relate to an average user. Furthermore, he is not the least bit knowledgable about what's going on at Apple so he has no more insider knowledge than the bum on the corner. The fact that he was part of Apple's early history was relevant - 30 years ago. It's meaningless today.
    hill60 wrote: »
    I'd say it's a 95/5/10 problem.

110%

100% actual iOS users, 10% loudmouth abusers who have no intention of ever using iOS.

Exactly. Much of the noise comes from the Android shills around here and other places. As always, when you see 100 complaints, perhaps 5 to 10 of them are legitimate.
    makingdots wrote: »
    Agree. He didn't contribute anything other than programmable "Universal Remote Control" in 1987. lol

Jobs without Woz = successful
    Woz without Steve = ???

That's not fair. Woz was a great engineer and did a wonderful job with the early Apple products. It's not right to belittle his contributions.
  • Reply 32 of 88

Quote:

Originally Posted by philh68 View Post

Woz not relevant? Are you kidding? Aside from developing the universal remote, he formed a company to develop wireless GPS, invested in Aquicor, and numerous other tech firms through it, placing him at the forefront of funding new tech startups. He could forget more about tech than most people have ever learned, and still be far more relevant than you or I. It's easy to anonomously criticize those who actually have "been there and done that", a lot harder to actually do it yourself.

Universal remote = great idea and he deserves kudos for cracking it first, but I'm pretty sure it would have been invented with or without him. Pretty straightforward concept with people needlessly accumulating drawerfuls of remotes. Did he create a particularly elegant universal remote? Did his company invent or significantly improve wireless GPS? Who is Aquicor and what have they produced?

Give any Silicon Valley technology lover a few billion dollars and I'm sure you will see them invest in technology companies. The question is whether this activity has resulted in any groundbreaking products.

I really have nothing against the guy. He seems like a a warm and likable guy and is certainly more conscientious and generous person than Jobs was. But I definitely don't see him as either a visionary or as guardian of the "Apple Way". If not for Jobs, you would have never heard of Woz.

Quote:

Originally Posted by philh68 View Post

On the maps issue, I agree with Wozniack. Given the capabilities of Google Maps on the iPhone gave many users reason to invest in decent GPS navigation apps, the inadequacies of the IOS6 Maps is not a life or death matter. A cloud based mapping system is hardly appealing to users where connectivity could be an issue, either in availability or cost. I suspect the majority of users will be better served by the existing crop of navigation apps, with map data stored on the device itself. I know from personal experience of driving over 100 km (60 miles) with no phone connectivity at all, so locally stored maps are crucial for many people.

I agree here as well, and I didn't intend to suggest that these particular comments were wrong or out of line. But on other occasions he has made some really awkward comments, and in general he doesn't seem to share Jobs' vision and philosophy for Apple. If not for his previous role at Apple, I'd characterize Woz as more of an Android guy - less concerned about elegant design and seamless operation, and more interested in whatever the latest feature-of-the-month happens to be. He is passionate about any new technology, regardless about how well it integrates with people's lives. The man carries around several phones and tablets wherever he travels, for crying out loud. That just doesn't make any sense, no matter how easily you can afford them. Let's just say he's a seemingly kind hearted eccentric who loves gadgets, but not the sort of visionary that the media should constantly turn to for commentary on all things Apple.

• Reply 33 of 88

Quote:

Apple cofounder Steve Wozniak said on Monday that he was "disappointed" with Apple's new Maps app in iOS 6

it really doesn't matter. iPhone is a fashion gadget so functionality is more or less "whatever".

Now, this so called Scuffgate is perhaps another thing. China slaves did it on purpose to my iPhone?

• Reply 34 of 88
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mocseg View Post

Quote:

Apple cofounder Steve Wozniak said on Monday that he was "disappointed" with Apple's new Maps app in iOS 6

it really doesn't matter. iPhone is a fashion gadget so functionality is more or less "whatever".

Now, this so called Scuffgate is perhaps another thing. China slaves did it on purpose to my iPhone?

If so, then on your Android phone its, "What? Never???"

• Reply 35 of 88
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    freediverx wrote: »
    If not for his previous role at Apple, I'd characterize Woz as more of an Android guy - less concerned about elegant design and seamless operation, and more interested in whatever the latest feature-of-the-month happens to be. He is passionate about any new technology, regardless about how well it integrates with people's lives. The man carries around several phones and tablets wherever he travels, for crying out loud. That just doesn't make any sense, no matter how easily you can afford them. Let's just say he's a seemingly kind hearted eccentric who loves gadgets, but not the sort of visionary that the media should constantly turn to for commentary on all things Apple.

Exactly. (Although I disagree with the first clause cited above. His previous role at Apple was decades ago and is not at all relevant. He IS an Android type of guy without qualification).

He's a geek. He loves gadgets and is far too technical to have any sense of what is of use to a consumer. If Woz had been running Apple rather than Jobs, it would have died many years ago. While he's bright on a technical basis, he's clueless when it comes to normal people.
  • Reply 36 of 88
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by stehsegler View Post

Killer feature, you're joking, mate, check this out from a couple of weeks ago, when I was looking for the motor registry which I knew was somewhere in Ingleburn.

Completely useless, a total failure, I found the RTA by wandering around looking for it.

As for Nokia maps, the street my house is on doesn't even exist.

• Reply 37 of 88

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

If so, then on your Android phone its, "What? Never???"

I don't have an Android phone. I have no idea what Android users think about it.

• Reply 38 of 88

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }
    Sometime next year, when Apple Maps are better (I personally have had no problems with them), the only people who will still be complaining are the people who are still complaining about the 'lack of physical keyboard' on the original iPhone. The same people who still make the 'you're holding it wrong' jokes. The same people who call Apple users, like the 82 year old grandmother I saw buying an iPad at the Apple Store, 'fanboys.'

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 39 of 88

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomnryan View Post

Woz is irrelevant.  He's a fat fool who doesn't even know nothing.

• Reply 40 of 88

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomnryan View Post

It doesn't. Generally it *might*, but Woz just doesn't *get* Apple. If he ran it instead of Jobs the company would have been dead years ago. Or sold off to the highest bidder. 

There's a reason Woz left Apple. There's a reason Apple didn't want him back.