Shortcuts and Personal Dictionary Not Working in iOS 6

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014

So I knew you could add your own words and shortcuts to your dictionary in older iOS versions but I never bothered until now. I just upgraded to iOS 6 on my iPhone 4 and I was poking around to see if anything had changed in the way you input custom words/shortcuts.

As a refresher, to add a shortcut phrase or to add new words to your personal dictionary....

1. Settings

2. General

3. Keyboard

4. Scroll down to "Shortcuts" and you should see "omw" or "On my way!" already there.

5. Click on "Add New Shortcut..."

6. For the "Phrase" enter: "oh my goodness" (for this example)

7. Next to "Shortcut" enter: "omg"

8. Click on Save. You should see it listed above the "omw" shortcut.

9. Click back on the "General" button to go back to the General Settings

10. Click on "Keyboard" again and your shortcut will no longer be there

Can someone else try this and see if I am not the only one experiencing this?

It could just be my phone or my own error. I apologize if I am incorrect.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15

I talked to someone with an iPhone 4S with iOS 6 and he said he has no problem. So maybe it's iPhone 4 specific

• Reply 2 of 15

Update: I restarted my phone and went back to my shortcuts to find a new button where my shortcuts used to be listed that opens up a searchable and sortable list of all of the shortcuts I was previously attempting to add

• Reply 3 of 15

I have an iPhone 4 and had heaps of shortcuts already saved into my phone. (Things like 'atm' to change to 'at the moment' and even 'gaga' to change to 'haha' because I always manage to type it wrong). Since updating to iOS6 these shortcuts no loner work. Even when I delete them and add them in again, it still won't work. I'm not sure why.. If anyone has any ideas about how to fix this, that would be awesome

• Reply 4 of 15

I just added a differnt shortcut and save it then all the others started working! Try that.

• Reply 5 of 15

I re saved a previous shortcut and worked for a short time and then stopped working.  Added a new shortcut and still not working.

I have iPhone 4.....may try re inputing all of them or just not worry about it iPhone 5 arriving soon..

• Reply 6 of 15

Ahh it's frustrating though. All the shortcuts started working for a little while then stopped again.. Grr

• Reply 7 of 15

Well after getting my iPhone 5 and with shortcuts on they worked on some initial texts.....Now not working.

• Reply 8 of 15

I rang Apple and after trying about 5 different things, they said there was nothing that they could do about it and that they were sorry for the inconvenience.. 

• Reply 9 of 15

I am deeply comforted by Apple's remorseful response; now if they could make my shortcuts start working again ...

(I am experiencing the same symptoms listed above - shortcuts worked great on ios5 and now pos6 broke them)

• Reply 10 of 15

so, on a lark I tried syncing my iPhone with the PC  - THE SHORTCUTS ARE WORKING AGAIN

• Reply 11 of 15

UPDATE: the shortcuts are NOT working (again)...GRRRR

re-sync the phone: no good

power cycle the phone with it connected to PC: no good

shut down Messages app and restarted: SHORTCUTS WORK AGAIN

still have to figure out the magical combination that causes the shortcut to fail

Hello, Apple tech support; please file a bug for this condition.

• Reply 12 of 15
    I figured out a fix for this! You have to disable the "autocorrect" option that is listed above the shortcuts. That should fix it.
  • Reply 13 of 15

I've tried disabling all of the autocorrect functions and it didn't help.

the shortcuts died again today so I simply stopped the messaging app and restarted it.  it's a pain in the backside, but effective.  Now if I can figure out what's causing the shortcuts to fail...

• Reply 14 of 15
    A hard reboot worked for me. But do not know for how long.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    traveltravel Posts: 1member

It looks like your post is about 6 months old.  I just googled "personal dictionary" to find out how to add words to my iPad and found this.  I went through all the steps, and my word was there when I went back.  So it appears to  have worked for me.

Hope ou got ours to work!