Apple's new Maps in iOS 6 draw ire from users around the world

1192021222325»

Comments

• Reply 481 of 490

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewys808 View Post

Does anyone know how, we the users, can help to improve iOS maps?

I realize that we can't help with satellite imagery, but are there other deliberate ways we can help?...is there a type of help/feedback system?

Or does Apple just mine some of the data "automatically" from our daily usage?

Millions of iOS users are probably open to helping improve the maps, so what could we do to expedite?

And if there are deliberate methods to improve it, maybe the iOS community (or Apple) should shout those methods out via whatever media possible?

Moving on to SOLUTIONS...http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/24/how-to-report-a-problem-with-ios-6-maps-data/

• Reply 482 of 490
    habihabi Posts: 317member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCK75 View Post

Pretty terrible. Lists a restaurant as being in my neighborhood that is actually 500 miles away. Tells me to take an illegal left turn at the end of my street onto a main road.

The directions also stink (Boston). Google gave much better suggestions.

The lack of decent traffic data also stinks. Google is fantastic in this regard, iMaps is spotty as can be.

Basically a huge downgrade.

Well google maps on iphone is just crap also. I Have similar things happen to me when using it to navigate here in Finland.

A few that comes to mind:

- suggests wrong roads even if i search the right and it IS in the database.

- cant find numerous road numbers, just the road.

That pretty much makes using google maps on iphone to navigate a bad idea. Bought a navigation app a few years ago.

• Reply 483 of 490
    Count me in among those who think the new maps are unacceptably bad, and a huge embarrassment.
  • Reply 484 of 490
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

Google employees must be frightened.  Because Google Maps have flaws.  The new Apple Maps will challenge Google Maps in the long run.  Users and reviewers will compare them from now on.  When Apple Maps become more accurate than Google Maps, Google will lose its dominant position. 

• Reply 485 of 490

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

All right, then I don't understand at all why they haven't just used OSM' maps 1:1 with what's online.

Exactly.

Everyone reading this - next time you have a Maps fail, type the *exact* same thing into OSM. I am very curious what happens.

• Reply 486 of 490

Add to your list:

Why are parks and forests so important to Maps? On every scale, the only objects that are clearly defined are greenspaces. They graphically overwhelm everything else, even airports.

• Reply 487 of 490

Originally Posted by drewys808 View Post

Moving on to SOLUTIONS...http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/24/how-to-report-a-problem-with-ios-6-maps-data/

This is a solution for POI entries, but not for outright wrongness.

Again, Apple is taking the wrong data from the wrong place. They need to take the right data from the right place.

They don't need to *fix* the data, so reporting a "problem" like "city in the wrong place" isn't the solution.

Whatever the solution is, it will be someone at Apple pressing a button to do another database convert.

• Reply 488 of 490

We are always expecting perfection from apple, but come on: as if Google Maps is very accurate!... - My street appears with the name of a street above; there are countries, as  Mozambique for instance, or some parts of Brazil that were left behind with null information. People take a photo of a mountain some kms away, post it with geo-reference and it becomes the place itself... give me a break!

• Reply 489 of 490
    What did people expect? A first generation application to better the present standards, whilst redefining our concepts of what maps should be? Apple certainly took a gamble, not only did they show what cards they had--possessing a potential that still viable--but laid their hand down too early. If Apple had released Maps as a Public Beta we'd be looking at it's potential. Unfortunately the natural progress and development that could have occurred will be lost in coming months band-aiding what is more a marketing fiasco than an app gone wrong.