Foxconn factory returns to work after 2000-employee riot

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The exact cause of a riot at a Chinese Foxconn factory Sunday night remains under investigation, but employees at the Taiyuan facility returned to work on Tuesday after a one-day shutdown.

Labor groups say heightened tensions between workers at the factory and Foxconn were heightened because of pressure to meet demand for the new iPhone 5, according to the Associated Press. Foxconn has not said whether the one-day suspension of production will affect supplies.

Reports out of Taiyuan about what caused the brawl remain divided: some have said the incident stemmed from a confrontation between a factory worker and a guard, while others have said it was a fight between workers from different production lines.

One employee who spoke with the AP said the violence arose because of employee anger over alleged mistreatment by Foxconn guards and managers.

"Foxconn, some supervisors, and security guards never respect us," the anonymous worker said. "We all have this anger toward them and (the workers) wanted to destroy things to release this anger."

Foxconn
Foxconn workers as captured by Steve Jurvetson, via Wikipedia.

It's not even certain whether the iPhone 5 is being built at the factory in question. Earlier this month, a Chinese reporter issued a report after he supposedly went undercover inside Foxconn's Taiyuan factory, where he said he found that the plant was responsible for the fabrication of "uni-body" backplates used in Apple's latest iPhone 5.

The brawl that took place Sunday involved 2,000 employees, and a total of 40 people were reported injured. Foxconn issued a statement on Monday to say there were no employee deaths and that production would resume this week.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14

China has been convulsed with riots all summer, including a July riot in Urumqi after which 10,000 people are said to have "disappeared". 80,000 people protesting and rioting around the Japanese embassy in Beijing, and thousands more all across China.

All of which elicits a collective "ZZZZZZ ..." in the US, until, OMG, 2,000 people riot at a Foxconn plant, that happens, among other things, to possibly make one part of the new iPhone.

• Reply 2 of 14
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by apersona View Post

China has been convulsed with riots all summer, including a July riot in Urumqi ...

You mean July 2009, not this summer.

• Reply 3 of 14
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Hopefully the workers didn't get any pay for the days that they had off. 

• Reply 4 of 14
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

And the possibility of damaged product being packaged up and sent out as a result of any such rioting?  One will have to wait and see.

• Reply 5 of 14
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member

Perhaps not entirely relevant but a good movie - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0425326/

• Reply 6 of 14
    Would that workers in the US had such spunk.

Instead of a work force that understands just how it's being exploited, we have a nation of "temporarily inconvenienced millionaires" so sedated by television you could harvest organs from them conscious and get no reaction.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbryanh View Post

Would that workers in the US had such spunk.

Instead of a work force that understands just how it's being exploited, we have a nation of "temporarily inconvenienced millionaires" so sedated by television you could harvest organs from them conscious and get no reaction.

Workers of the world unite! Cast off the chains of your bourgeoisie masters! The proletariat must own the means of production!

Oh wait, we tried that already didn't we. Didn't work out so well as I recall.

• Reply 8 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Workers of the world unite! Cast off the chains of your bourgeoisie masters! The proletariat must own the means of production!

worker's rights to communism is one hell of a jump

• Reply 9 of 14

So this is at least 150,000 iPhones that are delayed by a day, right?  Gene Munster isn't going to like thiiisssssss

• Reply 10 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Workers of the world unite! Cast off the chains of your bourgeoisie masters! The proletariat must own the means of production!

------------

Not when so many Americans have been brainwashed by the Democrats and the liberal news media into embracing collectivist ideals.

• Reply 11 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Foxconn

Foxconn workers as captured by Steve Jurvetson, via Wikipedia.

It breaks my heart to see these children sweating away their lives in this dark filthy hole for a measly bowl of fish head soup...

Notice the empty stations where some have had the audacity to take their bowl to the task master and ask for more...

Notice how each is tethered to their work station. My god! The Humanity!!!

• Reply 12 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDCragg View Post

------------

Not when so many Americans have been brainwashed by the Democrats and the liberal news media into embracing collectivist ideals.

Romney and company won't rest until the average American worker, if they're lucky enough to have a job at all, is treated and compensated like the average Chinese factory worker.

See? Strawmen are easy and fun!

• Reply 13 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

It breaks my heart to see these children sweating away their lives in this dark filthy hole for a measly bowl of fish head soup...

Notice the empty stations where some have had the audacity to take their bowl to the task master and ask for more...

Notice how each is tethered to their work station. My god! The Humanity!!!

Your statements constitute one of the most outrageous outward signs of Apple fanboyism madness !

Wake up ! Open your eyes ! What you describe is an idyllic view of Foxconn’s plant ! Starting at the age of five, Chinese children are forced to work for Foxconn, 48 Hours a day, and they have to pay Foxconn for this ! They eat gravel ! Fifty of them commonly live in a shoe box in the bottom of a lake ! **

I have to make heroic efforts to stay within the limits of British decency (pretty strict, as you may know), as well as (incidentally) the ones governing ban on this site. Suffice it to say that I suspect you are nothing but an active Apple lobbyist, and I will report this to the Posts Misconducts Resource Center (PMRC), so that you end up in the place where you should be trapped (the Apple ecosystem, you know, the one where « the guy with the horns and pointed stick conducts his business »).

** Monty Python at Hollywood show

• Reply 14 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDCragg View Post

------------

There's some brainwashing going on all right...