Rise in Apple product theft accounts for over 14% of all major crime in NYC

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A crime statistics report released by the New York Police Department this week revealed there were 11,447 recorded thefts of Apple products between Jan. 1 and Sept. 23, a 40 percent increase from last year that represents 14.4 percent of all other major crimes.

The spike in Apple-related theft outpaced other crimes, including murder, rape and robbery, which at 79,335 incidents grew four percent during the same period, reports PC Mag.

"The increase in incidents involving the theft of Apple products exceeded the increase in overall crime incidents of crime by 265," an NYPD spokesman said. "As if to mirror the market place, thefts of Apple products increased this year as the theft of electronics by other manufacturers decreased."

As of September, incidents involving Apple products represented 204 of the 1 percent rise in bruglaries, 160 percent of the 4 percent bump in robberies and 69 percent of the 9 percent increase in grand larcenies overall.

NYPD
NYPD sign up customers at Apple's Fifth Ave store Friday. | Source: The Gothamist

To stem the rising tide of Apple gadget theft, the NYPD instituted the "Anti-Apple Picking Campaign" alongside Friday's launch of the iPhone 5. Part of the police force's free device registering service, dubbed Operation ID, the program is aimed to help retrieve valuable electronic items by recording a product's serial number and corresponding owner information. As an option, the device can be marked with a unique serial number for easy identification in case the unit is lost or stolen.

In a post to the NYPD's Facebook page, Police Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly said, "The theft of Apple phones and other hand-held devices drove the spike in robberies and larceny this year. Individuals alert to their surroundings are less likely to become victims, and Operation ID will help those whose property is lost or stolen to get it back."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I mentioned this a while ago in a thread or two. Apple device theft is off the charts!

Some people are just ignorant, and they pay no attention to their surroundings at all. These sorts of people are more likely to end up as crime victims than other people who are smarter and more careful.

Would you pull out a fat wad of cash and flash it around on a NYC subway car at 2 AM, filled with random homeless people, sleazy people and other sorts of degenerates? Well, that's basically what you're doing when you pull out your iPhone or other Apple device.

• Reply 2 of 25
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/152889/rate-of-apple-product-theft-rising-in-new-york-city-accounts-for-over-14-of-all-major-crime#post_2198332"]I mentioned this a while ago in a thread or two. Apple device theft is off the charts!

Some people are just ignorant, and they pay no attention to their surroundings at all. These sorts of people are more likely to end up as crime victims than other people who are smarter and more careful.

Would you pull out a fat wad of cash and flash it around on a NYC subway car at 2 AM, filled with random homeless people, sleazy people and other sorts of degenerates? Well, that's basically what you're doing when you pull out your iPhone or other Apple device.

I actually got an email from someone last week debating on getting an iPhone, Lumia, some Android phone to replace his BB. One of the reasons he listed for not wanting an iPhone "not as much as a target for theft/mugging."
  • Reply 3 of 25
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I actually got an email from someone last week debating on getting an iPhone, Lumia, some Android phone to replace his BB. One of the reasons he listed for not wanting an iPhone "not as much as a target for theft/mugging."

I'd like to see statistical comparisons with other cities with similar population densities. It made me look up Apple device crime in Texas.

Would the mugger think twice if he/she/it knew that iCHL is one of the installed apps?
  • Reply 4 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Statistically speaking, that person is correct. If I lived in the middle of a ghetto or a really slummy, high crime area, then I probably wouldn't want to walk around with an iPhone either.

Apple users who love their Apple devices and have extra cash, could always just buy some spare Android phone for those times when they will be in high risk areas, that should keep them safe.

• Reply 5 of 25

Don't live in NYC. Problem solved.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/152889/rate-of-apple-product-theft-rising-in-new-york-city-accounts-for-over-14-of-all-major-crime#post_2198332"]I mentioned this a while ago in a thread or two. Apple device theft is off the charts!

Especially all the iPhone owning hipsters that move into the 'hood.
  • Reply 7 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I live in NYC, and that hasn't stopped me from buying plenty of Apple stuff.

NYC is alright, as long as you have cash.

• Reply 8 of 25

It's actually one of the safest cities to live in, just don't go around flashing your iDevice in certain areas. There's also little separation of the classes, CEOs live down the block from public housing.
  • Reply 9 of 25

get serious if your phone is stolen apple care has the se number and you can put it in your police report and that should alert any ny cop that it is stolen property 

your se# is also easy to find in find my phone or device locator or find my mac .

if the new york police department is collecting phone serial numbers it is for one reason only  to track anybody who gets on one of their s@$* lists and remember  you can get on the list  for protesting any republican or being a muslim or occupying wall st  or just looking at a member of the blue gang funny .

registration is the first step to confiscation.

there is no earthly reason for them to pre report your not yet stolen phone. if they wanted to they could have a special apple stolen item database  in reality i would bet the only way they would find a stolen phone in this city  was if a perp fell on his knees and confessed serial numbers or no.

(i cant believe you supposedly smart people fell for this )

• Reply 10 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

It's actually one of the safest cities to live in, just don't go around flashing your iDevice in certain areas. 

Indeed it is. This isn't the New York of the 1970's anymore, and NYC is far safer than many other much smaller cities.

As a matter of fact, I travel to certain places in Europe every once in a while, and I always see far more crime and uncivilized behavior in the short time that I'm there.

• Reply 11 of 25
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/152889/rise-in-apple-product-theft-accounts-for-over-14-of-all-major-crime-in-nyc#post_2198359"]Indeed it is. This isn't the New York of the 1970's anymore, and NYC is far safer than many other much smaller cities.

As a matter of fact, I travel to certain places in Europe every once in a while, and I always see far more crime and uncivilized behavior in the short time that I'm there.

If it's a fact that NYC is safer than other cities and a fact that 14% of major crimes are related to Apple products then you make it sound even worse for other cities.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    I've got to say, this is the most dreadfully unclear use of statistics I've ever seen in an article. What does it even mean to say:

"As of September, incidents involving Apple products represented 204 of the 1 percent rise in bruglaries, 160 percent of the 4 percent bump in robberies and 69 percent of the 9 percent increase in grand larcenies overall" ??

Was there no-one in the office who had taken Stats 101 who could have helped with the writing of this article?
  • Reply 13 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If it's a fact that NYC is safer than other cities and a fact that 14% of major crimes are related to Apple products then you make it sound even worse for other cities.

I'm not sure about Apple theft, I was referring to crime in general.

There is no doubt that Apple theft is high in NYC, but it's a relatively mild crime in my opinion, compared to other types of crime.

Violent crime in New York City has been dropping since 1990.[1][2] In 2009, there were 471 homicides, the lowest number since at least 1963 when reliable statistics were first kept.[2][3]

• Reply 14 of 25
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Android and Samsung are killing Apple don't you know. Shouldn't thieves be more interested in superior, more popular, better selling devices? Wouldn't these have more value on the street than Crapple products? Just asking.

/S

• Reply 15 of 25

Seems like iPhone theft is a problem in France also, and has been for a while. Face it, Apple is popular globally, and it's probably popular amongst thieves too.

Cameras are also sought after, but the biggest “cash cow” of all are smart-phones, The French calling it the "Iphone-effect".   

Since 2009, with the increase uses of smart-phones, especially the Iphones, there’s been a 40% rise in crime to date and 53% of violent crimes  on the metro are tied to smart-phones. 

http://parismissives.blogspot.com/2011/04/is-theft-on-rise-in-paris.html

• Reply 16 of 25

I would say there's probably a big increase during the summer months because of the large amounts of people taking the subway to Yankees and Mets games and the US Open.
  • Reply 17 of 25

In other news, thieves are perfectly happy to bypass Android devices. 

You can rest easy, Fandroids!

• Reply 18 of 25

La propriété, c'est le vol!

• Reply 19 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by taojones View Post

get serious if your phone is stolen apple care has the se number and you can put it in your police report and that should alert any ny cop that it is stolen property 

your se# is also easy to find in find my phone or device locator or find my mac .

if the new york police department is collecting phone serial numbers it is for one reason only  to track anybody who gets on one of their s@$* lists and remember  you can get on the list  for protesting any republican or being a muslim or occupying wall st  or just looking at a member of the blue gang funny .

registration is the first step to confiscation.

there is no earthly reason for them to pre report your not yet stolen phone. if they wanted to they could have a special apple stolen item database  in reality i would bet the only way they would find a stolen phone in this city  was if a perp fell on his knees and confessed serial numbers or no.

(i cant believe you supposedly smart people fell for this )

I find it hard to believe in a city controlled by Liberals (unions, politicians etc), that you would get on one of their lists for "protesting Republicans" and "being Muslim".  If anything, I didn't think they allowed Republicans to live in NYC, outside of Manhattan that is.  I could see the tracking though, just not for the reasons you state.

• Reply 20 of 25
    La propriété, c'est le vol!

Not the law of my land (yet). Personal property is synonymous with freedom and liberty.