Inside iOS 6: What's wrong with Apple's new Maps

Comments

• Reply 41 of 117
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

The UK is just remote islands?

Everyone knows that DED is a hack, but insulting 60 million people is a new low.  

I think using someone's death to defend Maps was worse. 

I like how he posted in the comments under the pseudonym 'Corrections'. I don't know if he's being ironic because he never corrects his articles, even when factual errors are pointed out.

• Reply 42 of 117
    cycomiko wrote: »
    absolutely and utterly irrelevant.  AS irrelevant as those calling for leniency on WP7 because iphone 1 was not perfect out of the box.

Apple are not competing with google maps 1.0 (or 0.7 as hte case may be)

They are competing with google maps now, and in going to their underdeveloped database, they have provided their customers a lower quality product.  Sure, some time in the future, it may be a magical experience, up to the level we expect from apple.  But hopes and wishes aside...

When I read Rokrad's post I was going to use that same WP7/8 argument. WP7/8 is good but it pales in comparison to iOS and it's ecosystem. Being good when comparing to a 2007 product that changed everything simply doesn't cut it if users are expecting a certainly level or competency in 2012.

Now Maps are different because they are part of the OS not an entirely new ecosystem. I doubt most people will even know that Maps is different on the back end so Apple has that going for it but when you compare the two there is currently a stark difference that does't favour Maps6 except on the front end, which may not be enough for some people. That said, you can still get Google Maps in the browser if you really want it.

On top of that, it's not even as bad as Apple not adding Adobe Flash Lite to iOS with H.264 still in its infancy. They made the right decision back then and the world (not just iPhone users) are better for it so I don't expect that in a year from now this will be a real issue despite plenty of posts a year from now showing clear examples of Google Maps being better than Apple Maps at specific searches.
  • Reply 43 of 117

APPLE maps plain and simple SUCK!

• Reply 44 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodent View Post

APPLE maps plain and simple SUCK!

You know what really sucks... Trolls who come to a forum and post 100% negative posts... no discussions, no logic, no facts -- just anti-anything knee-jerk opinions!

• Reply 45 of 117
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahmlco View Post

You're complaining about errors in Apple's massive undertaking... and you can't even get an eight-word sentence grammatically correct? (grin)

A typo. Grow up.

• Reply 46 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Totally off-the-wall thought…

What if Apple offered an. iTunes store credit of, say, $10 for anyone submitting a panoramic street view of their home location -- Taken with the camera app on iPhone 4S and iPhone 5?f

Good idea.  At least it would quickly collect street view-like information quickly, however less affluent areas would not receive much coverage.  On the whole however, I think contractors with vehicles equipped with proper equipment would in the end be cheaper.

• Reply 47 of 117
    It's not true that "there isn't currently any way to access it from iOS 6". There are already other apps in the App Store that let you use Street View, like Live Street View Free.
  • Reply 48 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

The UK is just remote islands?

Everyone knows that DED is a hack, but insulting 60 million people is a new low.  

Pathetic, brown-nosing, apologist article.  And I don't even have a major problem with iOS maps.

Guess I read it different.  I only assumed the remote islands he was referring to was the U.S. Virgin Islands and Isla Mujeres.

• Reply 49 of 117
    I've been using it since it was released last week. Turn by turn is so nice to have (finally.). Sure it is not as polished as google maps but google is years in the making already. I'm betting by next year or 2014 at the latest it will be even if not surpassing google maps in many ways. I've been letting it guide me to all of my destinations with no hiccups whatsoever. 3D view has really helped a few times to get going in the right direction as well.

Every product launch articles that criticize new apple hardware and software get an insane amount of click so we see a lot of them, even when the issues are quite minor.
  • Reply 50 of 117
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Quote:

Originally Posted by diplication View Post

Guess I read it different.  I only assumed the remote islands he was referring to was the U.S. Virgin Islands and Isla Mujeres.

It directly followed on:

"There are also apparently a lot of places in the UK where place names are particularly aggrieved, according to the BBC. In the other direction, blogger Anthony Drendel recently noted that Apple's new maps for China are "a huge improvement over Google Maps" in that country.

It shouldn't be surprising that Apple is prioritizing its iOS 6 Maps rollout to favor huge markets like the U.S. and China over remote islands, at least in its first few weeks on the market."

I don't see any other way to read it other than as a jerk snub to one of Apple's biggest markets.  Maybe it's not China or the US in terms of population, but "remote" it is not.

• Reply 51 of 117
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

I loved how not very long ago Google put Mt. Whitney near Lake Tahoe, roughly 300 miles off!

I think Apple should configure Maps to display more information.

Often when iOS6 Maps locates me by GPS, the map is so zoomed in and/or sparse with information that I really have no idea of what's around me or where I am.

• Reply 52 of 117
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Should also allow for providers of shared car type services also make their own apps and incorporate billing as well via Passbook perhaps?
  • Reply 53 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

absolutely and utterly irrelevant.  AS irrelevant as those calling for leniency on WP7 because iphone 1 was not perfect out of the box.

They are competing with google maps now, and in going to their underdeveloped database, they have provided their customers a lower quality product.  Sure, some time in the future, it may be a magical experience, up to the level we expect from apple.  But hopes and wishes aside...

The only difference between Maps 6 and WP7 is that people aren't going to avoid buying a phone because it has Maps 6 on it. 

And in case you haven't figured it out yet, Apple is not competing against any version of Google Maps. Google got evicted from its default position.  

• Reply 54 of 117
    The article states traffic is not available in the google maps browser mode. That's very incorrect. Click on the upper right icon (upside down triangle), click on layers, then traffic. Traffic is then displayed. So far my only complaint about Maps is how they display the traffic. It needs a better interface to display bad traffic. Displaying road construction and accidents is awesome, though. For now, I'll stick with Google's web browser map
  • Reply 55 of 117
    cycomiko wrote: »

The only difference between Maps 6 and WP7 is that people aren't going to avoid buying a phone because it has Maps 6 on it. 

And in case you haven't figured it out yet, Apple is not competing against any version of Google Maps. Google got evicted from its default position.  

I actually thought the article was quite evenhanded... but way too verbose. I do resent you posting under a pseudonym and trolling your own articles. I reported, it... Again!
  • Reply 56 of 117
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

This was actually the best article I read on the whole map matter. Out of all the news media complaining about the app, nobody has broken it down. 

• Reply 57 of 117
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

LOL...now who is being the fan boy?

I have no doubt that Apple's mapping app will get better and for most users it will be fine. I also have no doubt it will never be as good as Google's solution. Google has more experience and puts more resources into maps/navigation. It is one of their core competencies. For Apple it is simply a necessary add-on because they didn't want pay Google for map access. Apple will be happy making it "good enough" and then focus will be placed elsewhere.

-kpluck

It doesn't have to be about being a fan boy. Some people don't like the way Google farms your data and sells it to advertisers. Me being one. Moreover, Eric what is his name gives me the creeps. 

• Reply 58 of 117

"I don't see any other way to read it other than as a jerk snub to one of Apple's biggest markets.  Maybe it's not China or the US in terms of population, but "remote" it is not."

Oh, please.  Get over it.  Daniel was clearly not referring to the UK as remote islands.  He was clearly referring to Isla Mujeres and the US Virgin Islands.

If you read it as a snub, perhaps that says more about your own insecurities.

• Reply 59 of 117
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    crowley wrote: »
    It directly followed on:

"There are also apparently a lot of places in the UK where place names are particularly aggrieved, according to the BBC. In the other direction, blogger Anthony Drendel recently noted that Apple's new maps for China are "a huge improvement over Google Maps" in that country.

It shouldn't be surprising that Apple is prioritizing its iOS 6 Maps rollout to favor huge markets like the U.S. and China over remote islands, at least in its first few weeks on the market."

I don't see any other way to read it other than as a jerk snub to one of Apple's biggest markets.  Maybe it's not China or the US in terms of population, but "remote" it is not.

That's because you left out the previous paragraph:

"There are islands I've personally navigated via Google's accurate map renderings (like Isla Mujeres off the coast of Cancun, Mexico, or the U.S. Virgin Islands) where there are only limited roads in iOS 6 Maps (and they don't line up with the land properly, as shown below)."

Now, let's put it all together:
    There are islands I've personally navigated via Google's accurate map renderings (like Isla Mujeres off the coast of Cancun, Mexico, or the U.S. Virgin Islands) where there are only limited roads in iOS 6 Maps (and they don't line up with the land properly, as shown below).

There are also apparently a lot of places in the UK where place names are particularly aggrieved, according to the BBC. In the other direction, blogger Anthony Drendel recently noted that Apple's new maps for China are "a huge improvement over Google Maps" in that country.

It shouldn't be surprising that Apple is prioritizing its iOS 6 Maps rollout to favor huge markets like the U.S. and China over remote islands, at least in its first few weeks on the market.

When you list the entire segment, it is clear that the phrase 'remote islands' is referring to Isla Mujeres and US Virgin Islands, not the UK.
  • Reply 60 of 117
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View PostRevisiting these places in Apple's new Maps made it seem like I'd have an equally tough time in Mexico, perhaps an easier time in Israel, and somewhere in the middle in Japan, where Apple's Maps seem to never show street names in anything but Kanji, and could not correctly locate my hotels using their addresses in Japanese or in English (the incorrect pin, below, is a few blocks north).

At the same time, while I can't read enough Kanji to find my Sapporo hotel in Apple's iOS 6 Maps, it's responsiveness, 3D perspectives and additional 2D clarity and detail coverage when operating outside of data coverage would have been much more helpful than Google Maps when exploring the surrounding countryside, or when simply exploring around using GPS.

The main gripe isn't that iMaps is incomplete or that it lacks correct data. It isn't even about Apple not declaring iMaps as a beta when they should have. The swarm of contempt is due to Apple not keeping Google Maps for another year or two while it improves to the point where the majority of users are satisfied with iMaps and/or 3rd party offerings i.e. metro routes. Especially when it now appears there was still a year and a half remaining on their contract with Google. 

Anyway, as you can see Kasper you entered ??060-0062 ??? ??? ??????????2??6??...?You typed the prefecture and city twice (potentially confusing iMaps and/or Google Maps). Also you don't need the postal code since many places in Japan will have the same postal code. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it confuses the mapping system. When I typed the address you used in your screen shot iMaps found the hotel (or at least one hotel). I'm not sure if it was the Sunroute Hotel you were looking for because I couldn't see the rest of your address in your screen shot. But one of the hotels that belongs to that partial address you typed is the Sunroute Hotel. iMaps on my iPad found it without any problems as you can see. It worked with the Japanese name ???????"Sunroute". In your defense I had to try a few different names to find it. It wasn't completely simple and yes searching in English proved to be futile. And yes there are no English street names.

As a side note, I just discovered that grabbing with two fingers and dragging up/down changes the axis which is really cool. Automatically puts it in 3D. Nice. 

p.s. How do I post large pics like above?