Steve Wozniak says Apple Maps disappointing but issues not severe

Comments

• Reply 61 of 88
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomnryan View Post

Why does Steve Wozniak's opinion matter?

Because Steve Jobs passed away, so the Media is using Wozniak instead because he was one of the founders so they are using him and OBVIOUSLY, Wozniak likes the public attention.

Sometimes Wozniak is right and sometimes he isn't.

What's worse is that it seems that the MEDIA likes to exploit little tiny things, blow them out of proportion when even BIGGER problems exist for Apple's competitors.

Look at Android Authority's iPhone 5 vs S III drop test.  Does the MEDIA blow that out of proportion and SLAM Samsung for making a phone that is susceptible to cracking under REAL WORLD conditions whereas the iPhone 5 wasn't.  I know that the test was just a couple of times, and it might not be the most scientific test in the world, but it's certainly was a very REAL test.  Does the mainstream media catch onto that and RIP Samsung through the coals?  How about the many times Samsung has been caught with price fixing of components?  Those only got minor attention.  How about the fact that Samsung uses two different processors for the S III?  Does ANYONE investigate as to the reasons WHY?  If Apple did that, they would be racked over the coals for eternity over that.

• Reply 62 of 88

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomnryan View Post

It doesn't, just as any anonymous poster's opinion on these forums.

• Reply 63 of 88
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

I'd rather have Apple get me the new iMac already than a bad Map App. It seems petty that Apple would spend gazzilions on bad Map App rather than pay Google a licensing fee and f up my user experience.

Does ANYONE remember when MapQuest first came on line?  MapQuest wasn't 100% accurate, even Google Maps isn't 100% accurate.  Apple releases a new Map app to replace Google because Apple doesn't want Google's app as a standard install.  Apple also wants to improve the application and in terms of data, it takes a while, because of the nature of the data and the sources that Apple has at their disposal.  So what if it is going to take a while to clean up the errors in it.  One cannot expect it to happen overnight.  It takes years.  I'm sure Apple will fix the most important problems as quick as they can.  There is also a button within the app to report errors, so at LEAST they do that, which I don't see anyone else doing.

on a positive note, Safari on iOS 6 is MUCH faster than the previous version, even noticeable on an older iPhone 4.  Thank you Apple.

• Reply 64 of 88
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

How about the fact that Samsung uses two different processors for the S III?  Does ANYONE investigate as to the reasons WHY?  

That one's an easy answer. Sammy sued a quadcore processor for the international version and reportedly would have preferred to do so for the US version too. Unfortunately there wasn't a quadcore yet ready that also supported the networks for US carriers so they had to use a dual-core in North America. Everywhere else it's the same quadcore processor. 

• Reply 65 of 88

He should be removed from Apple Inc. for a conflict of interest. I respect Wozniak's achievements a great deal, but he is still an employee of the company, so I have to question his ethics at this point.

Anyway, I've been using the new Maps in Austin, TX since release and they work pretty flawlessly so far. Why is everyone acting like Google Maps are so great, anyway? I've had numerous search and routing issues, and have been waiting for an alternative since iOS 2.0.

• Reply 66 of 88
    The absence of the Statue of Liberty isn't even the problem, much less an issue of any severity.

The severe problem is that Apple's management (correctly) believes it can reduce the functionality of its products, valuing profits and politics over customers, and not suffer as a result.

The map to worry about is the one that shows how corporate arrogance reduces everyone's quality of life.
  • Reply 67 of 88

Originally Posted by Slang4Art View Post

He should be removed from Apple Inc. for a conflict of interest. I respect Wozniak's achievements a great deal, but he is still an employee of the company, so I have to question his ethics at this point.

… Been removed for decades.

• Reply 68 of 88

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

… Been removed for decades.

"He still remains an employee and receives a token paycheck, est. to be roughly 120k per year. He is also an Apple shareholder."

Thought that was pretty common knowledge. No other Apple-paid person can get away with this type of dissent, and I assume it is because of the type of contract he was grandfathered in with.

• Reply 69 of 88
    I totally agree with freediverx's comment!

Most (emphasis on most) of the time his opinion causes embarrassments to the company who is paying him a very nice salary and dividend. He should get on with his new interests (like dancing on TV, or whatever)
    :-)
  • Reply 70 of 88

because Apple is the #1 phone and the defacto leader and reference point for all other phones. so really we should take it as a complement that the media which as we know is bought and paid for ny the Phone companies and their suppliers. The more outrage over minor details that is directed at Apple the more attention it garners for its iPhone. Thus the more free advertising it gets all paid for by its competitors, Such irony really

• Reply 71 of 88
    it's a 90/10 problem. it's just fine for 90% of the customers, but the 10% are much louder.

I think that's true. I just used it for navigating to a place and it is far better than a number of navigation apps I've used before (especially including Google maps).
  • Reply 72 of 88
    maccheech wrote: »
    I totally agree with freediverx's comment!
    Most (emphasis on most) of the time his opinion causes embarrassments to the company who is paying him a very nice salary and dividend. He should get on with his new interests (like dancing on TV, or whatever)
    :-)

Maps is the embarrassment not Woz.
  • Reply 73 of 88
    tomnryan wrote: »

Why does grub ears opinion matter

Or mossberg

Or topolsky

Or who ever?
  • Reply 74 of 88
    it's a 90/10 problem. it's just fine for 90% of the customers, but the 10% are much louder.

Apples markets outside of the USA are growing rapidly. Most issues with their maps app is outside of the USA. Your 90/10 may not be quite right under this situation.
  • Reply 75 of 88
    If it wasn't for Woz this website wouldn't exist.
    And don't you all forget it.
  • Reply 76 of 88
    Steve Wozinak's opinion is stupid. I'm sorry to say it. But I have to. He was the tinkerer, the hardware person, the hacker when Apple originally happened. And he has stayed that way, Apple products have drawn away from that (for good reason), and I think Android is a good fit for him. He can fuck with it.
  • Reply 77 of 88

Quote:

full. stop.

• Reply 78 of 88

I don't recall Woz building the Macintosh with a GUI, networking at CERN, or computers at NeXT on which to run said network.

There's something you've forgotten, it seems.

• Reply 79 of 88
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

How about the fact that Samsung uses two different processors for the S III?  Does ANYONE investigate as to the reasons WHY?  

That one's an easy answer. Sammy sued a quadcore processor for the international version and reportedly would have preferred to do so for the US version too. Unfortunately there wasn't a quadcore yet ready that also supported the networks for US carriers so they had to use a dual-core in North America. Everywhere else it's the same quadcore processor. 

Funny freudian slip

• Reply 80 of 88
    diddydiddy Posts: 282member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slang4Art View Post

"He still remains an employee and receives a token paycheck, est. to be roughly 120k per year. He is also an Apple shareholder."

Thought that was pretty common knowledge. No other Apple-paid person can get away with this type of dissent, and I assume it is because of the type of contract he was grandfathered in with.

Woz has stated multiple times that he doesn't have any sort of employment relationship with Apple and hasn't for awhile.  He may have been a token employee at one point, but he doesn't have one thing to do with the company on any meaningful level as an employee.

And he is quite openly critical of Apple in many ways as well.  The guy is pretty unbiased and is in no way a fanboy.

ETA:  For clarity, he has said that he is only an employee in the Database, he isn't involved in anything that Apple does and they don't do anything for him.  His only real tie would be as a shareholder and that doesn't mean much.  He's basically retired.