Apple reportedly waived one year of Google Maps contract in switch to iOS Maps [u]

Comments

• Reply 41 of 191
    iOS 6.0 is almost 6 days old. Sanity and prudence require I reserve judgement on the doom of Apple. Apple had to cut the cord sometime. .0 sounds like an imaginary time to do so.

.1 feels more rational.

P.S. cutting google off a year early (at the knees) was probably strategic planning.
  • Reply 42 of 191

Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

iOS 6.0 is almost 6 days old.

WHERE'S THE FIX, APPLE?! YOU'VE HAD ALMOST 144 HOURS ALREADY!

• Reply 43 of 191
    what's the timing again?

other reports say "Apple had a year left when it decided to replace Google Maps"

that does NOT sound like 'a year left from iPhone 5 launch (now) ' . (a year before the contract expired... so when was the contract supposed to expire? )

anyways I will await clarification from those who know.

Anyhow although the maps seem (from user comments) that it needs work many are finding it OK and some even better.

Remember Google didn't want to include advance functions available for Android like turn by turn navigation for iOS. Apple might have rushed it but it didn't have a choice.
  • Reply 44 of 191
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

For the whiners... This type of data needs to be crowd-sourced. You're ignorant fools if you really think Apple is capable of knowing the GPS location of every spot/address on earth immediately out of the gate. Hell, even Google Maps isn't completely accurate and it's been around for YEARS.

Furthermore, Apple HAD to ditch Google's data if they wanted to add turn-by-turn navigation; Google's license forbids the use their data for "live" navigational purposes.

If Apple doesn't make the switch now, then we'll be at this exact same spot whenever they do decide to release it. Letting it "bake" another year, IS NOT going to help, only delay the service.

• Reply 45 of 191
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by stehsegler View Post

If that's true who ever at Apple made the decision to swap the "old" maps app with the new one is even dumber than I thought.

It is actually brilliant on Apple's part. Apple caught Google off guard. It will take months for Google to get a Map on iOS and months for Apple to approve it. Apple's current Maps will appease most people in Countries like the US and China. By the time Google comes to iOS, Apple will have fixed whatever issues it may have and people will not care about Google maps anymore. 

Apple is playing hard ball. I like it. 

• Reply 46 of 191

Quote:

Originally Posted by macosxp View Post

Apple was supremely idiotic for not using that extra year to keep Apple Maps optional as a public beta. Millions and millions of people depend on Google Maps on their iPhones, and it has no suitable substitute.

Give Apple an extra year to make flyover models of buildings, get everything tagged, correlate satellite and map better... then maybe.

What are you talking about? No suitable replacement? Google maps sucked on iOS. Map Quest's free app with turn by turn worked better. Don't believe me, go down load it. Bing's Maps were based on Nokia's mapping software, which is reviewed better then Google's Maps. I preferred that as well over Google's Maps. Moreover, there are plenty of stand alone Apps like Tom Tom and Navigon. 

Moreover, I have been using Apple's Map app now for a couple of days and I honestly don't see people's grievances. I live in Ann Arbor, so I can't speak for other places. Here, however, it works much better than Google maps ever did. 

• Reply 47 of 191

This is a good decision.  The reason is simple:  DENY iDevices revenues to Google.  Why fund your competition?

• Reply 48 of 191
    "Perhaps most troubling was the lack of features users had become accustomed to with Google Maps, such as Street View, highly-detailed map data and public transit routes."

For the record, Street View has NEVER been available on iOS devices... So how exactly did users 'become accustomed' to it?

This amazing piece of misinformation continues to be propogated by blogs, rumor sites and the mainstream media... Does anybody bother to check facts anymore?

Just because you never figured out how to use Street View it doesn't mean it wasn't available. Here's Street View on iOS 5.1.1's Maps (click to enlarge a bit):

• Reply 49 of 191
    Keep the faith people. It is important for Apple to introduce Apple Maps ASAP to users and get it into developer's hands in order to start developing layers.

Make no mistake, Google knows what Apple Maps is capable of. The potentials of Apple Maps are limitless and the earlier the better. Development in Apple Maps is much faster than Google Maps and very soon it will surpass Google Maps to become the Killer iOS application that it is.

Keep the faith. Time will tell.
  • Reply 50 of 191

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

For the whiners... This type of data needs to be crowd-sourced. You're ignorant fools if you really think Apple is capable of knowing the GPS location of every spot/address on earth immediately out of the gate. Hell, even Google Maps isn't completely accurate and it's been around for YEARS.

Right, clearly only crowd sourcing will tell Apple where the Washington Monument really is or what the name one of the nation's most important national parks up the road is; only crowd sourcing will tell them it hasn't been what they labeled it as since the 1970s. Come off it.

• Reply 51 of 191
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    tbell wrote: »

It is actually brilliant on Apple's part. Apple caught Google off guard. It will take months for Google to get a Map on iOS and months for Apple to approve it. Apple's current Maps will appease most people in Countries like the US and China. By the time Google comes to iOS, Apple will have fixed whatever issues it may have and people will not care about Google maps anymore. 

Apple is playing hard ball. I like it. 

Yep. Maps is quite good by any rational standard. Maybe 0.1% of people have a problem with it, but a number had problems with Google Maps, as well. And there are alternatives. This gives Apple some time to get entrenched and to work out the worst of the bugs before Google can respond.
    kharvel wrote: »
    This is a good decision.  The reason is simple:  DENY iDevices revenues to Google.  Why fund your competition?

Exactly. Apple needs to make Google realize that Google needs Apple more than Apple needs Google. Already, Google has found that their ad revenues are lower on Android devices than on iDevices, so every Android device that is sold instead of an iDevice costs Google money.

Ultimately, Google might realize that their success will be greatest if they stop ripping Apple off and cooperate with Apple rather than trying to rob them blind.

In the end, given the choice between believing that Cook and his team know what they're doing or believing that all the Apple-hating trolls know more, I'll go with Apple's management team.
  • Reply 52 of 191

Apple left Google maps early...

They need to think about leaving China. To Hell with Chinese workers pay and work hours! How about life?! 

Warning: Not so nice pictures...

/

/

• Reply 53 of 191

Quote:

Originally Posted by Techstalker View Post

So not only did Apple put out an inferior product but they did so in a way that would force their customers to go without the best mobile mapping solution on the planet. 

Why do people like you keep saying that as if it were an established fact? Nokia Maps has often gotten better reviews than Google's. Moreover, it largely depends what part of the world you are in. 

Check out Nokia Maps.  Nokia even has a excellent Apple like Fly Over for big cites like Chicago. You have to install a browser plug in, but it is worth it (maps.nokia.com). 

• Reply 54 of 191

FlyOver is actually much better than StreetView.

FlyOver can be developed more rapidly, it is more consistent and moreover it provides detailed "Back Yard" view in addition to the StreetView.  Google 3d view is not nearly as good.  AppleMaps will soon surpass Google Maps and blow it away.  Google Knows This.  Keep the faith.

Time will tell.

• Reply 55 of 191
    Keep the faith people. It is important for Apple to introduce Apple Maps ASAP to users and get it into developer's hands in order to start developing layers.

Make no mistake, Google knows what Apple Maps is capable of. The potentials of Apple Maps are limitless and the earlier the better. Development in Apple Maps is much faster than Google Maps and very soon it will surpass Google Maps to become the Killer iOS application that it is.

Keep the faith. Time will tell.

Developers have access to the betas, we don't need this crap on our main devices to develop for it.
  • Reply 56 of 191

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Some people say that I never criticize Apple? Well, if this article is true, then Apple clearly should have kept Google maps for one more year while they kept working on and improving their own Maps App.

Somebody at Apple made a poor decision. I think that Apple's map app works pretty good, but I don't think that anybody's going to deny that it needs a bit more work. Making a worldwide mapping solution is obviously not an easy or quick task that's done in 1,2,3.

Wait another year for what? Mapping software doesn't progress quickly if no one is using it, so wait another year to play catch up from further behind? That doesn't make any sense at all. It had to be done, so sooner is the smarter decision than later. Sticking with Google maps for another year is short-term thinking that leads no where. Switching now is long-term thinking that will put the platform, and its mapping services, on a solid foundation for the future. Change rarely comes without some pain. The trick is to make the change with a little pain as possible, and I think the decisions they made were the right ones for that, despite the fact that everyone is freaking out now. Imagine how they'd have been freaking out next year if they waited a year to do it. I think by this time next year, everyone will have forgotten what all this fuss was about.

• Reply 57 of 191
    Maybe I'm the only one, but Apple Maps worked great for me during the beta and even now, although I *think* a lot of issues occurred due to overtaxed servers from the iOS rollout and iPhone 5 launch. The new Apple maps included updated overhead photography of my new housing development and could actually geolocate the new roads. Other GPS units and Google maps would give wrong directions to the other side of town, but Apple maps got me home perfectly. I don't travel a whole lot, but I seriously doubt that everybody hates the new maps app. A lot of people I talk to like it, but understand that the maps data needs more work and will get there soon.

From a competitive standpoint, Apple couldn't just let maps be in beta for a year because Google would do what they have proven they have done in the past... see what Apple is doing and then wholesale copy it. Apple had the element of surprise and they used it. It's EXACTLY what Steve would have done. Is Apple Maps the best mapping solution? No. Will it be. If Apple is Apple, definitely. They are going to give Google one hell of a run for their money.

My guess is that given one year, no one will ever remember any of these blips. Siri was released to great fanfare and then people found all these glitches and what it doesn't do and how bad it was compared to Google Voice, etc. It didn't matter. Apple pushed ahead and made it fun and quirky and just gave it a huge boost in the arm with iOS 6. Apple continues to iterate their products until they are pretty damn perfect. Google should watch it's back.
  • Reply 58 of 191

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

Developers have access to the betas, we don't need this crap on our main devices to develop for it.

Yes we do.  The earlier Apple Maps is out the earlier it will start gaining mind share from users and developers.  Next update will clear up the first release issues.

Don't under estimate the popularity of iOS and make no mistake, Google Maps will lose and Google knows it.  The Apple architecture is superior.

Time will tell.

• Reply 59 of 191
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    testudines wrote: »
    I never had much luck with the built in Maps app because it sucked up too much bandwidth (causing me to breach my data limit several times) and was too slow. My understanding is that part of my problem had to do with the inefficient way maps were encoded (pixels?) I had a much better experience with a third party app and downloaded maps. Just wondering: does everyone else here consider the old built in Maps app to be the "best solution on the planet"? How did they handle the situations where the data signal was weak? Did they not desire turn by turn directions?

This is exactly why in the near future Apple will be the absolute best mapping system. Vector graphics. I guarantee Google know this and are already hard at work copying the SAAB system Apple purchased.
  • Reply 60 of 191
    Yes we do.  The earlier Apple Maps is out the earlier it will start gaining mind share from users and developers.  Next update will clear up the first release issues.
    Don't under estimate the popularity of iOS and make no mistake, Google Maps will lose and Google knows it.  The Apple architecture is superior.

Time will tell.

There won't be a need to wait for "the next update". The data comes from Apple's servers, and it will be continuously updated there, available immediately on your iOS device as it is.