Consumer Reports praises Apple's iPhone 5, but dings disappointing Maps

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    I'm disappointed CR doesn't slam the iPhone 5 for not being Samsung enough.
  • Reply 22 of 29

Alright idiots. IMO the maps app is awesome. It is perfect. Perfect everything where I am.

But, since it is so "widely criticized", I have an idea. Let Apple, with their perfect noncompeting relationship with Google (/s), combine Google's data with theirs...

Is that a good idea?

• Reply 23 of 29
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Alright idiots. IMO the maps app is awesome. It is perfect. Perfect everything where I am.

But, since it is so "widely criticized", I have an idea. Let Apple, with their perfect noncompeting relationship with Google (/s), combine Google's data with theirs...
    Is that a good idea?

I don't think anyone said it was perfect. What was said was that it works most of the time. There are errors - just like there are errors in Google Maps, as well. Over time, Apple's data will get better. Whether the errors affect you will depend on where you use it. It appears that the problems are more common internationally and in very remote areas. They will improve - just as Google Maps has improved.

As for using Google's data, Apple can't unilaterally decide to do that. It was rumored that Google would not extend Apple's license - and that is plausible given Google's new move to putting ads in their mapping program.
  • Reply 24 of 29

Is that a good idea?

It just takes an enormous amount of time to input all of that data. I'm sure some areas are perfect. Some, I'm sure, are less than perfect. In my area all of the streets are fine, however there's a nonexistent StarBucks next door apparently. They'll fix it. I do feel bad for the people who have to input an entire WORLD of data. Seems very menotonous and I could completely see things starting to look the same after a while for most people.

I don't think the resolution scales as well as it did in the old maps app. That may just be an algorithm though. I did check the same maps side by side with iOS 6 and iOS 5 on ipads. It's very noticeable. Some may consider resolution to be mere eye candy, but I do know N.A.S.A. goes to great lengths to improve the resolution of their maps. That said, I don't believe anyone will be landing a rover with their iPad anytime soon. :o)
  • Reply 25 of 29

Street view is available with 'Live Street View' and it works much quicker on my Ipad than the old maps app.

• Reply 26 of 29

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Johnnyb0731, can you show me Street View on maps.google.com on the iPhone? How about public transportation information? I didn't think so. Apple Maps has low res images and far less features than the Google Map app that it replaced. The negative reports are valid, they are not overblown. It is an embarrassment that Apple released a competing app that can't compare to the one it replaced. The flyover feature is pointless eye-candy that no one would find beneficial, unless you fly a helicopter to wherever you go. Thankfully, another AI member pointed out that there is an app called Streetviewer that provides the Google Street View data for those that need and use the feature.

It's called Live Street View...

Er, Oops, just checked and discovered there is a StreetViewer app after all!! And it's streets ahead (ha!) of Live Street Viewer. iOS 6 lovers (I'm one) had better grab it before Google yanks its licence from the App vendor :-)

• Reply 27 of 29

Quote:

Originally Posted by msuberly View Post

It doesn't look like any of the commenters actually clicked the link and read the review. The article describes the review as "largely positive" and it was. That Consumer Reports found deficiencies in the Maps app should be no surprise. Everything else was positive.

Also, Consumer Reports website is at www.consumerreports.org. Consumer Reports owns consumerist.com, but obviously does not maintain at website anymore.

The anti-Consumer Reports bias on AI is stupid. Antennagate was over 2 years ago. Consumer Reports moved on, so should AI readers.

The truth is biased. And, the disdain for CR isn't about Apple, it's about them being utterly clueless in their reviews, for everything, for as long as anyone can remember.

But, let's look at this instance. The iPhone 5 was released on Friday, iOS, thus, Maps, a couple of days before. Now, I think we can fairly safely assume that CR did not get an advance unit from Apple. That means they got one last Friday, at the earliest. So, how much time did they actually have to, in addition to checking out all the other aspects of the phone hardware, etc, to actually evaluate the Maps app? (Ignoring the question of how many other smartphones' reviews include a review of the mapping software). A day, tops? That's not really time to do a proper review of a text editor, let alone mapping software that covers the entire globe.

We can therefore conclude that CR didn't actually conduct a proper review of the Maps software. They don't even have any of their precious criteria for evaluating mapping software. CR's mention of the Maps software is nothing more than "piling on" based on what they've read on the Internet. So much for objectivity, especially when it comes to the iPhone. CR is a fraud.

• Reply 28 of 29
    Still holding on to my 3G on IOS 4 (jb). When it came out here in Europe, it was THE must-have gadget. Only some months before, struggling with Oprah on a Nokia was the way to go if you needed to check how trains were doing during a nationwide train fault.

Suddenly a handheld device you could read real webpages on, wherever you went. And could mail like a BlackBerry and showoff Monkey Ball to Nintendo fans.

The new iPhone 5 and IOS 6 don't make the same big change the 3G did compared to what came before and what was around from other manufacturers. Actually I think there is hardly anything I would do with an iPhone 5 which I can't do with my 3G.

I wanted to check train-tables, I wanted to read some quick news-updates, I wanted to have proper e-mail. With the 3G I can, as long as the cracks in the casing don't get worse. It is even a handy darkroom timer and I can send pictures to my wife asking which pack of diapers I need to buy. And, last but not least, I got Google maps ;-).

Not going to get a new phone. Saving up for a MacBook, to be in time when technology finally gets enough GPU in a low power laptop to really make those Retina displays fly.
  • Reply 29 of 29
    I think Google Maps in iphone had not gone through a major overhaul for so long. It's fresh to see a new competition in this app. And I honestly think the 3D rendering idea is a good solution to the flat Google 2D map look. It will be a major advantage in understanding the surrounding area of the destination you never travel before. Yes, I disagree with rushing the release of the app and therefore having glitches here and there; But I love this new app idea. Perhaps the next version would be better, who knows. But if this is available in Android for free, I will take it anytime!