iPhone 5 users seeing 'purple haze' in pictures, claim camera is defective

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

This is the real question.   You really have to wonder how many mentally ill people are out there.   Seriously so many of these problems/developments are either the result of misunderstanding of technology or the extreme need to seek public validation of ones existence.   The people that don't understand are not the problem, rather it is the mentally ill that bother me.   Frankly people posting this crap should be locked up, in this country we are way to accommodating with the mentally ill.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post

Yeah, this is lens flare. What is it about Apple products and people trying to find every little thing to complain about?

• Reply 22 of 63
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'm truly glad that there are so many "problems" with the 6th iPhone and its software.

We're already to the point of outright mocking into insignificance all this crap that could have "-gate" appended to it, which will serve as a very effective means of keeping disproportionate reactions to non-issues, blown up by the Anti-Apple Brigade to be "newsworthy" items (in essence, pure idiocy) in check.

When Apple invents a lens that creates zero lens flare, they'll be multibillionaires for that innovation alone.

Do you know of a lens that has no flare?

BS.  Freaking crybaby whiners and iHaters our out in full force right now.  I really wish the mods would step up and remove the rhetoric.  It's childish and does nothing but provoke.

Venting aside, I agree with you that lens flare is a fact of life when really bright lights sources are in the picture.  Heck, many even use that "flaw" to their creative advantages too.

Mark my words though... If by chance Apple ever invents a lens that completely eliminates lens-flare (never), they will patent that design and then the sh!thead trolls and iHaters will then whine about how Apple patenting "bright light".  Watch... 

Idiots.

• Reply 23 of 63
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    So people are complaining the color of their photographs of the sun are off. Stare at the Sun for a second and see how that works for you. Please don't actually do that.
  • Reply 24 of 63
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

It is somewhat misleading to say it is the fault of miniaturization.   Lens flair can happen in any photographic lens.   How it happens and under what conditions are different with every lens.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

I understand that this may be due to miniaturization of the camera elements and it may be common to phones and such. My question is: does the iPhone4 have this issue? I have never had this issue even when shots were poorly composed on my 4 or 4S.

I'm wondering what the deal is...

The deal is people screw up a photograph and then look to put blame on Apple or whom ever they can.   I carry an iPhone 4 and was in Greenville just recently taking some pics.   In a couple of cases the composition required photographing into the sun, I got lens flair even if it wasn't purple.   It was to be expected and I did try to control it as much as possible with shading.

• Reply 25 of 63

Please remove
  • Reply 26 of 63
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I'm more concerned about the total lack of artistic talent and the extreme ignorance that certain people exhibit. Those have to be some of the worst and ugliest shots that I've ever seen. It seems to me that somebody was deliberately looking for a shot that would produce glare. What kind of an asshat is going to take a photo of half of a couple of garage doors and a roof?

• Reply 27 of 63
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

When Apple invents a lens that creates zero lens flare, they'll be multibillionaires for that innovation alone.

Do you know of a lens that has no flare?

Yes, any lens that I am using...

None of my pictures seem to have any flare.

Everyone says so.

• Reply 28 of 63

All iPhone lenses have exhibited lens flare.

• Reply 29 of 63

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

uh . .  it's LENS FLARE. 

It's what happens when people don't know how to take a shot properly, or when it's done deliberately. 

This is nothing new. 

When you don't take your shot in ideal conditions, and knowing that you're still using a smartphone camera, weird things can happen. 

I have NO idea why you're trying to explain this to me.  

• Reply 30 of 63
    Never seen this on the 4S, then again I don't point cameras directly at the sun, and I agree that this sounds like lens flare, with the violet resulting from the anti-reflective coating that's usually put on lenses to prevent even more glare. The only strange part to me is that if this was actually violet, the iPhone would see a blue haze since it can't see violet (at least the 4S can't).
  • Reply 31 of 63
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member

I am so familiar with this problem, as seen in this image of a purple coloured ceiling!

I recall that the iPhone camera lens is a 5 element one. Two or three of these lenses are probably cemented as a chromatic aberration correcting doublet or triplet (achromate), which can be expensive. If so, Apple has done about all that can be done in a compact lens system. The design of these lenses and their parameters are so well understood that it is unimaginable that the lens is sub-optimal in this respect but limited instead by physics.

• Reply 32 of 63
    hill60 wrote: »
    ...whatever it is, that girl put a spell on me.

Love it! That should have been completely obvious to me but...lately things just don't seem the same
  • Reply 33 of 63

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Yes, any lens that I am using...

None of my pictures seem to have any flare.

Everyone says so.

Really??  Take a picture with your camera pointing directly to the sun and post it - unmodified.  I'll be you're blowing smoke.

• Reply 34 of 63
    Seems like a great candidate for a software fix.
  • Reply 35 of 63
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    sflocal wrote: »

BS.  Freaking crybaby whiners and iHaters our out in full force right now.  I really wish the mods would step up and remove the rhetoric.  It's childish and does nothing but provoke.

Venting aside, I agree with you that lens flare is a fact of life when really bright lights sources are in the picture.  Heck, many even use that "flaw" to their creative advantages too.

Mark my words though... If by chance Apple ever invents a lens that completely eliminates lens-flare (never), they will patent that design and then the sh!thead trolls and iHaters will then whine about how Apple patenting "bright light".  Watch... 

Idiots.

Sadly it's not the mods, it's the blog itself. Like every other tech blog on planet earth AI have realized negative posts about Apple result in more hits. It is known as tabloids journalism. Kind if like "Woman abducted and impreganated by aliens!" Worthy of a Murdoch publication.
  • Reply 36 of 63

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Sadly it's not the mods, it's the blog itself. Like every other tech blog on planet earth AI have realized negative posts about Apple result in more hits. It is known as tabloids journalism. Kind if like "Woman abducted and impreganated by aliens!" Worthy of a Murdoch publication.

I think the mods don't want the regular Apple enthusiasts to believe that are secretly allowing Apple Haters to run amok on this forum for the sake of web hits.  I really, truly believe they are doing it on some level.  It's a damn shame too because a few years back it was much more tolerable, day and night difference compared to the trash accumulating on this site now.  I miss having actual discussions and debates.  Now it's all a defense/offense mode in each thread.  Total BS.

• Reply 37 of 63

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I think the mods don't want the regular Apple enthusiasts to believe that are secretly allowing Apple Haters to run amok on this forum for the sake of web hits.

Speaking for me, alone, just me, a lifelong fan of Apple pulled up to moderatorness from the group, I agree with the above statement. 

And no, that's not the "official AppleInsider position". image It's just the official me position. 

I understand that idea and how some might think it's what is happening, much less that it's desired. The whole "the trolls are kept around because they make more hits, both from themselves and from the increase in real fans posting to rebut them" thing, you know? I'll tell you what I know; it's not desired by me. Because once that balance (if there even is one) tips, no number of trolls can make up for the loss of real users scorned.

And we all know that real users scorned are fury like Hell hath no. They just happen to be smarter about it than the astroturfers.

• Reply 38 of 63
    Free Jimi Hendrix ringtone to all affected.

Excuse me, while I kiss the sky!

EDIT: Rats! Hill60 beat me to it, but great satirical minds thinks alike!...
    /
    /
  • Reply 39 of 63
    A correction to your article. The iPhone camera and virtually all other cell phone cameras use aspheric lenses - usually molded plastic. There are many patents which describe the lenses used in cell phones. They are amazingly small do perform quite well but because of their small size it is not possible to put in light baffles and apertures to control scattered light in the lens.

Large professional quality lenses do a lot internally to control flare. In addition to baffles and apertures they also use much higher quality surfaces for less scattered light and better anti reflection coatings.
  • Reply 40 of 63

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBytes View Post

I have NO idea why you're trying to explain this to me.  

Looking back now, I completely misread your post. 

My apologies. I'll edit accordingly.