Apple releases Apple TV Software Update 5.1 with Shared Photo Stream support

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35

Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

Anyone know if they fixed the Home Sharing/Mountain Lion issue that basically broke the Apple TV for a bunch of people.  I spent another hour or so this weekend trying to get it work (it worked find before Mountain Lion came into my house) to no avail.  There are lots of posts on Apple's support site with no one posting any solutions.  The problem is that my iDevices no longer see my Apple TV and my Apple TV can't get any content from my mac (any of my macs) no matter how many time I reset my Apple TV and turn Home Sharing off and on (and turn my firewalls off).  It's a very "unApple" experience.  It just doesn't work.

I have just this problem with 10.8.2. It broke my Apple TV in that it can no longer see my two computers or any content on them. I'm downloading the Apple TV update now hoping that it is going to fix this problem.

EDIT: the problem is now fixed with this update.

EDITED AGAIN!: Now content is being very slow to stream. I will have to test it again later, but for the moment Home Sharing is working but the content is not being transferred fast enough to view. It is timing out.

• Reply 22 of 35

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6ryph3n View Post

I'd like to be able to access my music without iTunes Match, the same way I can ready access movies and tv shows. Or adding Spotify access would be nice. Have to agree with dreyfus2 though... ad-hoc networking would be nice. Would it work to just set up a hotspot on iPhone and connect ATV to that, or would that still somehow use cell data even if the content was stored on the iPhone? Hadn't thought to try that yet.

You don't need iTunes Match to access your music on ATV.  Turn on your Mac and launch iTunes.  Use the Computer menu item to access all the media on your Mac.

• Reply 23 of 35

Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

Anyone know if they fixed the Home Sharing/Mountain Lion issue that basically broke the Apple TV for a bunch of people.  I spent another hour or so this weekend trying to get it work (it worked find before Mountain Lion came into my house) to no avail.  There are lots of posts on Apple's support site with no one posting any solutions.  The problem is that my iDevices no longer see my Apple TV and my Apple TV can't get any content from my mac (any of my macs) no matter how many time I reset my Apple TV and turn Home Sharing off and on (and turn my firewalls off).  It's a very "unApple" experience.  It just doesn't work.

I have no problems at all with Mountain Lion and Home Sharing with the ATV.  The last AppleTV update fixed the Home Sharing bug.

• Reply 24 of 35

Quote:

Originally Posted by faZZter View Post

I see what you are getting at but still have to disagree. At least allow a browser app for God's sake. 

Also, for those of us that have iPhone 4 still, you can't use airplay even though I have the latest Apple TV. This is another reason apps SHOULD be on ATV.

Wrong.  The AppleTV is not a computer, nor is it a web browser.  It is for media content.  Buy a 2011 Mac and use AirPlay, or just buy a Mac Mini and connect it to your TV if you really want to browse the internet on your TV instead of your Mac.  Buy an iPad and do the same thing.

• Reply 25 of 35
    I'm waiting for the Apple TV Podcast app that supports iCloud subscription tracking like the iOS app...
  • Reply 26 of 35
    This is a great update. I can actually do something with this.

I wanted to setup AppleTV in our bedroom without getting a new HDMI ready screen. However this means using a monitor with HDMI to DVI convertor cable which doesn't have the sound.

I looked at stereos that have Toslink connectors and they were all too expensive for what I wanted to do.

Now that I can use AirPlay to AirPlay speakers I can do this cheaper.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    The Apple TV uses the same wireless chip found in the iPhone 5. I know that this chip supports Bluetooth 5, dual band wi-Fi b/g/n, and hot spots. So, it's a matter of time if they decide to unlock it for its full capability.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    Does anyone know if HDMI features are chip based or software based?

Because it would be great if they added support for 7.1 uncompressed audio over HDMI, Dolby Digital HD support, as well as DTS Master Studio support. For the SPDIF, they could add Dolby Digital Plus support. I know they would have to license these for Dolby and DTS and Apple is often hesitant about licensing stuff (ie Adobe Flash, Sun JAVA, DivX, etc.), but every Blu-ray player manufacture licenses these (not sure if these codecs are included with the Blu-ray license) and Microsoft has licensed Dolby Digital Plus for Windows Media Center...

Also, I would like to see support for CEC on HDMI devices. CEC would allow the Apple TV to send commands to any device connected to it via HMDI to control it. For example, TV commands POWER ON/POWER OFF, audio receiver commands VOLUME UP/VOLUME DOWN, etc. An Apple implementation of these commands could bring an Apple-style level of automated conveniences for Apple TV!
  • Reply 29 of 35
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member

Quote:

Accept invitations for Shared Photo Streams, browse photos and comments, and receive notifications of new content.

Ok I give up, how do you invite some one to share your Photo Stream?  Is this a Mountain Lion thing?  I don't see where to send an invitation.

• Reply 30 of 35
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member

Quote:

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

I think a lot of people are misunderstanding what most people want from "apps" on the Apple TV, hence the it's a stupid idea comments.

It is highly frustrating for those that don't live in America and so do not have access to Netflix & Hulu. As many have said the UK is a year example in terms of BBC iPlayer.

Apps that allow additional functionality in terms of adding Iplayer support is desperately needed, using the Iplayer app on the iPhone to deliver unoptimised video to the Apple TV is counter productive.

Look at how sucessful the Netflix app is. People, especially those who are not American and so are more affected want this.

It sounds like the root desire is access to more content. Apps are not the answer. Licensing deals are the answer.

Apps are the absolute worst way of accomplishing access to more content. The last thing consumers want is a million different user interfaces for browsing a list of videos. Have you seen how bad the interfaces are on pretty much every DVR ever made? They're astonishingly bad, even the (relatively) good ones.

And that's the thing, with a directional pad remote and living room environment, there really shouldn't be much more sophisticated interaction than simple scrolling of a a list. More sophisticated interaction is better left to devices with more sophisticated input hardware. Handheld and tablet devices with AirPlay are the way forward, not a million different ways of pushing up/down/left/right to access content.

Can you imagine if every movie studio had a different user interface within netflix. It would be shear madness. And the same is true for most types of content on the ATV.

• Reply 31 of 35

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Wrong.  The AppleTV is not a computer, nor is it a web browser.  It is for media content.  Buy a 2011 Mac and use AirPlay, or just buy a Mac Mini and connect it to your TV if you really want to browse the internet on your TV instead of your Mac.  Buy an iPad and do the same thing.

You can say "wrong" all you want, but I still say a browser for the ATV and apps makes sense. It has more than enough computing power to run a browser. 

Besides that, what is your definition of a computer? iPad? iPhone? Do they count? They both have way more power than "computers" from just ten years ago.

• Reply 32 of 35
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

You don't need iTunes Match to access your music on ATV.  Turn on your Mac and launch iTunes.  Use the Computer menu item to access all the media on your Mac.

Maybe that works for you, but I am running iTunes on a Windows machine and it just does not work very well in fact hardly at all. The jailbreakers have shown that the ATV is perfectly capable of accessing media directly.  Why should I have to run another machine just to access networked or internet available media?

• Reply 33 of 35

Quote:

Originally Posted by jameshopkins View Post

How do I put the ATV into sleep now, used to be hold down select, this now reorders icons.

That's what I was wondering, too. The only way I've found is to go to General and select 'Sleep Now'. That's far more clumsy than how Apple usually does things.

• Reply 34 of 35

HOLY $%&#! APPLE QUIETLY UPDATED APPLETV'S YOUTUBE APP!

Has anyone else noticed the changes in AppleTV update 5.1 to the YouTube app? Finally, the Watch Later list appears!

This has been one of my biggest complaints with the app since launch. Of all the features to omit, Watch Later seemed particularly cruel. I mean, what's a more likely scenario than finding a video on YouTube at the office and wanting to watch it later on TV when you get home? Until this revision, you could access your subscriptions, uploaded videos, and other playlists, but alas, your Watch Later list was nowhere to be found. The workaround was to create a separate "Watch on AppleTV" playlist and add videos to it instead. But, this was incredibly clunky, especially since unlike YouTube's Watch Later feature, adding to a playlist is only available on the YouTube watch page.

Anyway, there was a little discussion about this problem within Apple's support communities here...

https://discussions.apple.com/message/13215198#13215198

And that's not the only change to the YouTube app...

Apple removed YouTube > History from the latest rev -- probably because the way it worked was confusing. It was hard to tell if the history was local to the AppleTV, or valid across devices. I'm glad they removed it.

In the big picture, it's quite surprising to see changes to the YouTube app on AppleTV in light of the removal of Google Maps and the default YouTube app from iOS 6 -- quite inconsistent.

But, if you use AppleTV with your YouTube account, the addition of the Watch Later list is greatly appreciated.