Inside iOS 6: What's wrong with Apple's new Maps

Comments

• Reply 81 of 117
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    antkm1 wrote: »
    Expect the fact that with most cars, they only hold 2-8 people and a plane can hold up to 400+.  So you have to do a little math and then compare.  Not to mention the fact that most cars drive around with an average 2 passengers at a time(regardless of their capacity)...and not eveyone flies every day.  While most planes fly at mostly full capacity.

Except that we are talking of just one car vs one plane that's made just for that.
    And commercial flights consume approx the same as cars per person, when they are full of people.

And plane rejections aren't filtered like those of a car either.
  • Reply 82 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Interesting article. I found the part about car consumption funny though. Planes consume hundred of times more fuel than cars. Even mapping the whole tip of Manhattan by car is probably less fuel consuming and less expensive than doing a single plane pass for flyover.

Apple isn't commissioning planes to fly around cities to capture Flyover maps. It's using existing aerial photographs to develop 3D models. 

Google's task of driving vehicles down every road in the world is clearly a more time and resource intensive project, with limited benefits. That's probably why Google is now working on maintaining its own 3D aerial maps too.

• Reply 83 of 117
    OK, folks, can we move on now?

I'm growing fatigued of seeing the same five images displayed over and over again as examples of how screwed up Apple Maps is... The fact is, it works just fine the vast majority of the time... The smoothness of flyover is actually a superior experience to Google's jerky aerial shots - are their weird artifacts for bridges and overpasses (or anything with a cantilever)? Sure! Who cares...

And I'm really tired of the complaint about 'missing' Street View! Street View has NEVER been available on iOS, so how could it be 'missing'?

I agree that, in general, the market holds Apple to a higher standard... That, plus snarky bloggers and social media blowback from Google-fans, is creating lots of drama where none is deserved...

Long term, this is a great move for Apple...
  • Reply 84 of 117

Originally Posted by Ken_sanders_aia View Post

Street View has NEVER been available on iOS, so how could it be 'missing'?

So you decided to ignore the half dozen or so posts that corrected you the last time you said this? 

That's the only possible explanation for what I'm seeing here.

To reiterate, Street View has been available since iPhone OS 2.2 in November 2008. 

Don't say that it has "never been available" again.

• Reply 85 of 117

Hey, Daniel! I hope you had fun wandering the streets of Tokyo. Please take one friendly correction: When you discuss street signs or anything else in Japanese, just call the language "Japanese". Not "Kanji". (For some explanation, see http://www.homejapan.com/2010/06/grumpy-guy-comment-kanji-is-not-language . Hmm, I see you have some good company in misusing "Kanji" - none other than Steve Jobs himself.)

Oh, and while I'm in a correcting mood: AppleInsider web design people, try "Log in to comment". Not "Login to comment". (Unless you're into "loginning". And commenting after having "loginned".)

I'm on a roll, baby!

• Reply 86 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Apple is going in the right direction here all this whining is just that, a childish response to something that does not meet with their imaginations idea of perfection.

Not really sure what's so 'imaginary' about comparing Apple Maps to a superior product which we actually had on our iPhones about two weeks ago...

• Reply 87 of 117
    I have to disagree with Daniel on the spartan Apple approach being more useful/useable than Google's more detailed rendering. I'm quite familiar with the Shinjuku and Yotsuya areas in Tokyo, and find lots of familiar names on the Google version that help me find my way around the map and trigger memories that get me pointed right ("Oh yes, it's along Aoyama-dori a few hundred meters east of Aoyama-itchome" - I can see both of those names on the Google version [3:29 PM image], neither on the Apple version below it, though Aoyama-dori is indeed only in Kanji on the Google map]).

The thought of all the zooming, then dragging around I'd have to do on the Apple map to locate my wife's family cemetery plot area in Aoyama botchi makes me want to find a streetside map board instead, whereas the Google map exposes enough detail that my first zoom-in would probably be on target.

It appears to me that Apple has based their selection of detail presentation for a given zoom level more on form than on function.

OTOH, I had never used a turn-by-turn GPS before today, when the Apple Maps navigation to an unfamiliar golf course was almost perfect--recomputing instantly when I chose an alternate route in a familiar area, and speaking street names clearly and understandably, and correctly locating a nice little shortcut on the way back. Colour me pleased with it.
  • Reply 88 of 117

Quote:

Additionally, note that in all of these cases of map quality, location search or directions, one can always also consult Google's web app if necessary, making all the chatter of a maps-apocalypse particularly silly.

Of course, by the time you realize the mapping program has led you astray, you may be past a critical exit on the Interstate, or somewhere far from your destination, or in one-way street hell; in that case, the chatter doesn't seem particularly silly.

This article seems to make a number of one-sided, categorical claims, which make it kind of annoying.

• Reply 89 of 117

What;s the problem with Apple Maps?  Well, firstly they Suck.  Secondly it will take 1.5 years at least to catch up to both Nokia/Navteq and Google. 

Bottom line, Apple is going to collect your data, your positioning data, toss out TomTom (they suck too!), while building up their own offering. In the meantime, this come at the expense - of guess who? - you, the consumer, the user. 

Seek an alternative - whatever that may be, but this is the WORST decision and solution for you.  Remember when Apple was part of the " Think Different" campaign?

Ironically, if you want to think different these days, you would buy anything BUT Apple.  Apple is the NEW Microsoft and Microsoft is the NEW Apple.

A Recovering Apple FanBoy who has come to his senses  - flame on! :-)

• Reply 90 of 117

Originally Posted by eat@me View Post

What;s the problem with Apple Maps?  Well, firstly they Suck.

A tower of insight, this one.

In the meantime, this come at the expense - of guess who? - you, the consumer, the user. 

I'm quite happy that I am now the customer instead of the product being sold. Thank you, Apple, for freeing me.

Seek an alternative - whatever that may be, but this is the WORST decision and solution for you.

Yes, seeking an alternative to Apple Maps is the WORST decision and solution right now. By the time you get entrenched in that choice, you'll be kicking yourself for not staying with Apple.

No, just a troll pretending his argument exists.

• Reply 91 of 117

First off, I really like the look of the IOS6 Maps app and the turn-by-turn navigation design is excellent and extremely responsive. Love the autofill and history functionality as well.

Transit info is not relevant to me so I never missed that and am sure that the 3-party approach will yield superior tools/results to anything Google within months.

That said, my gripe has been with the route guidance. I have tried using it several times going to addresses that I know the fastest routes to and within one exception, all routes were either slower or false. Rather than using highways, it routed me through city streets instead of highways just to end up at an incorrect destination.

And it wasn't a case of wrong entry either; I needed to go to a car dealership, entered the name and routed myself to the  location from the pin info. I ended up at a golf course 3 miles away via slow streets while the car dealer was right on the highway. The map even showed me being miles away from the pin, but when restarting the route, I was told that I am 100 yards away...

The data was so wrong that I feel that there must be an obvious bug that should be easy to correct, but at this point I can't use the app for routing in my area.

Am eager to see an update taking care of the issue as the app is miles beyond what Google had on IOS. For all the complainers that hype the issue should remember that an app is easy to fix, but a shitty (*insert the brand of choice in here) phone will annoy you as long as you own it.

• Reply 92 of 117

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

It directly followed on:

"There are also apparently a lot of places in the UK where place names are particularly aggrieved, according to the BBC. In the other direction, blogger Anthony Drendel recently noted that Apple's new maps for China are "a huge improvement over Google Maps" in that country.

It shouldn't be surprising that Apple is prioritizing its iOS 6 Maps rollout to favor huge markets like the U.S. and China over remote islands, at least in its first few weeks on the market."

I don't see any other way to read it other than as a jerk snub to one of Apple's biggest markets.  Maybe it's not China or the US in terms of population, but "remote" it is not.

I believe its just a cultural difference.  In the U.S. people usually don't think of the U.K. as islands.  I realize they are islands, but any reference to islands doesn't get me thinking the U.K.  We actually think better of you than that - more than islands, less than a continent.

• Reply 93 of 117
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottyo View Post

Of course, by the time you realize the mapping program has led you astray, you may be past a critical exit on the Interstate, or somewhere far from your destination, or in one-way street hell; in that case, the chatter doesn't seem particularly silly.

This article seems to make a number of one-sided, categorical claims, which make it kind of annoying.

Yes, except I have been lead astray by every map system, including Google's. Not one system is perfect in giving you directions. The other day a news article reported how two people died after becoming lost. They relied on Google maps.

Further, the issues people are complaining about generally don't have to do with directions. This article points out one incidence where Apple's map gives you the proper direction where Google advised you to make an illegal turn.

Further, unlike most articles on the topic, at least this one attempts to outline the actual problems because not everything about the new app is wrong. In many ways it is better. For instance, it is much  faster, it has turn by turn, and the graphics are nicer. 

• Reply 94 of 117
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by eat@me View Post

What;s the problem with Apple Maps?  Well, firstly they Suck.  Secondly it will take 1.5 years at least to catch up to both Nokia/Navteq and Google. 

Bottom line, Apple is going to collect your data, your positioning data, toss out TomTom (they suck too!), while building up their own offering. In the meantime, this come at the expense - of guess who? - you, the consumer, the user. 

Seek an alternative - whatever that may be, but this is the WORST decision and solution for you.  Remember when Apple was part of the " Think Different" campaign?

Ironically, if you want to think different these days, you would buy anything BUT Apple.  Apple is the NEW Microsoft and Microsoft is the NEW Apple.

So Apple ditched the common Google maps, and you are accusing it of not thinking differently? Seems like you are arguing for it to think the same. Microsoft by the way relies on Nokia's mapping system, which in my view is better then Google in most ways. 

• Reply 95 of 117
    Apple isn't commissioning planes to fly around cities to capture Flyover maps. It's using existing aerial photographs to develop 3D models. 

Google's task of driving vehicles down every road in the world is clearly a more time and resource intensive project, with limited benefits. That's probably why Google is now working on maintaining its own 3D aerial maps too.

C3 Technologies solution captures as many as 100 images of a single object from different angles with resolutions as high as 10 cm. A 3D reconstruction is generated from a volume data set of one million LIDAR (Light Detection And Ranging) scans per second.

The technology in use by C3 Technologies requires the capture of images with a specific, integrated data set in order to generate the 3D Flyover renderings.

OK, folks, can we move on now?
    I'm growing fatigued of seeing the same five images displayed over and over again as examples of how screwed up Apple Maps is... The fact is, it works just fine the vast majority of the time... The smoothness of flyover is actually a superior experience to Google's jerky aerial shots - are their weird artifacts for bridges and overpasses (or anything with a cantilever)? Sure! Who cares...
    And I'm really tired of the complaint about 'missing' Street View! Street View has NEVER been available on iOS, so how could it be 'missing'?
    I agree that, in general, the market holds Apple to a higher standard... That, plus snarky bloggers and social media blowback from Google-fans, is creating lots of drama where none is deserved...
    Long term, this is a great move for Apple...

Maps have had Google Street View since 2008 although in one poll half of those surveyed (a tech-savvy group) were unaware that Google Street View was available on Maps even two years after the feature was released
  • Reply 96 of 117

Seriously, people are honestly bitching that it cannot find their apartment number?  If you need a map application to find your place of residence, go to the top of the building and jump the hell off!

• Reply 97 of 117
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by "Apple 

[" url="/t/152886/inside-ios-6-whats-wrong-with-apples-new-maps#post_2198301"]I'm on my iPad 3, iOS 6 right now and Apple maps works fine for me, it's vector based, it's fast and the 3D models are cool in the city where I live.

But, guess what, I also just used Google maps, including street view, and that worked too.

So, I'm still not getting what all of the whining is about. If Apple maps is not up to par for your location yet, then use something else. 

I think the whining comes from a bunch of simplistic minds that couldn't navigate a Soap Box Derby car down a hill much less an automobile with a real engine. I mean really we have people complaining that maps can't find their specific apartment even though it can find the apartment complex. I mean really folks how creepy do you want maps to become, should it find the toilette for you, how about the handle to flush? Would the granularity be so fine that there are different entries for the front door knob and one for the back entrance?

It really is a matter of expectations and people coming to grips with their self centered nature. Complain all you want about trivial errors but we still have better and more timely info than you would find in past paper maps. Apple is going in the right direction here all this whining is just that, a childish response to something that does not meet with their imaginations idea of perfection.

That "whining" you're referring to is what's known as "valid criticism". Not only have you failed to understand that criticism, you then insult the people offering valuable feedback. Come on, you've been an AI member for to long to degrade the quality of discussion like that.

Why might people want to know where a particular apartment number is? Because some apartment complexes have hundreds of units that are accessed from different parking lots.

When something we use on a daily basis takes a massive step backward, it is reasonable to criticize that regression.

• Reply 98 of 117
    I wish I had all the errors with the new Maps so I could join in on the fun, but alas... Apple Maps has been great to me. And I just got back from a trip to upstate NY through a few small towns.

I updated my 3GS (yup) without thinking I was potentially screwing myself %u2013 like most others I expected Apple Maps would be great. And guess what? It did. I found myself zipping through the maps quickly orienting myself with roads I had never been on before. Not once was I stuck the way I had become so used to with Google maps, waiting for image grids to load (and my signal often dropped to 2 bars in these towns) with each pan of my finger, and then load again, and again. Finding a place to relax or eat was also a better experience with the Yelp data piped in via a nice UI.

1) I never used Google Maps for transit directions %u2013 it was highly unreliable compared to the variety of 3rd party transit apps in the App Store. For example, my wife and friends are tied to the hip with HopStop. Google frequently shows outdated information for subway stops %u2013 which is one of the most crucial aspects of using transit.

2) I rarely used Google Maps street view on my iPhone. I don't know anyone who uses it regularly either. I'll use it occasionally on my laptop where the screen size makes it a more useful experience.

So the two biggest complaints I'm hearing on blogs have no practical meaning to my life. Apple tends to skate to where the puck will be and not where it is (especially for a non-majority of their customers); and I'm guessing they're betting most iPhone customers are equally yawning at the absence of those two features.
  • Reply 99 of 117
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member

Quote:

Originally Posted by c4rlob View Post

I wish I had all the errors with the new Maps so I could join in on the fun, but alas... Apple Maps has been great to me. And I just got back from a trip to upstate NY through a few small towns.

I updated my 3GS (yup) without thinking I was potentially screwing myself %u2013 like most others I expected Apple Maps would be great. And guess what? It did. I found myself zipping through the maps quickly orienting myself with roads I had never been on before. Not once was I stuck the way I had become so used to with Google maps, waiting for image grids to load (and my signal often dropped to 2 bars in these towns) with each pan of my finger, and then load again, and again. Finding a place to relax or eat was also a better experience with the Yelp data piped in via a nice UI.

1) I never used Google Maps for transit directions %u2013 it was highly unreliable compared to the variety of 3rd party transit apps in the App Store. For example, my wife and friends are tied to the hip with HopStop. Google frequently shows outdated information for subway stops %u2013 which is one of the most crucial aspects of using transit.

2) I rarely used Google Maps street view on my iPhone. I don't know anyone who uses it regularly either. I'll use it occasionally on my laptop where the screen size makes it a more useful experience.

So the two biggest complaints I'm hearing on blogs have no practical meaning to my life. Apple tends to skate to where the puck will be and not where it is (especially for a non-majority of their customers); and I'm guessing they're betting most iPhone customers are equally yawning at the absence of those two features.

Your anecdote is noted. Now please also acknowledge all the negative anecdotes. Millions of people are experiencing severe accuracy problems. These are not theoretical problems, but real problems encountered while attempting to use the new app. There are other numerous valid complaints beyond accuracy as well.

As for Apple's take on the problem, they have acknowledged it as real.  The CEO of apple has released a public apology for how bad the new map app is.

• Reply 100 of 117

Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Millions of people are experiencing severe accuracy problems.

Sounds more like thousands. Not even 'tens of'.