Non-contract AT&T iPhone 5s can reportedly be unlocked via iTunes

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
It was revealed on Wednesday that customers who paid full freight for an AT&T version of Apple's iPhone 5 can easily unlock the device with a quick iTunes reset.

First discovered by TechCrunch, the simple unlocking procedure is said to work with iPhone 5s purchased from AT&T at full price, with the process being quite simple compared to the carrier's traditional previous method of submitting an online form, sending a fax and waiting up to a week for a restore.

The publication was able to confirm the easy one-step process with AT&T's technical support and successfully unlocked the device in iTunes.

"After restoring the device in iTunes, the user is prompted with the usual unlocking message: 'Congratulations, your iPhone has been unlocked,'" the report said.

From that point, according to TechCrunch's Romain Dillet, all that was needed to gain access to T-Mobile's network was the trimming down of a compatible micro-SIM card to fit in the iPhone 5's nano-SIM tray. The device recognized T-Mobile's signal within seconds, allowing both calls and EDGE data to go through without issue.

iPhone 5 Unlock
AT&T iPhone 5 running on T-Mobile's network after unlock.
Source: TechCrunch

Dillet explained that when an iPhone is purchased, the handset's IMEI is added to Apple's database, though it appears subsidized phones hold a different status than those purchased at full price without a contract.

While the publication was able to successfully unlock an iPhone 5 purchased through Apple retail, the procedure could not be confirmed on another pre-ordered unit "even though the device was purchased at full price, it was tied to an existing AT&T account during the pre-order process."

It was previously reported that Verizon's iPhone 5 ships unlocked for GSM networks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    This appears to be true, we have not tried it yet.
  • Reply 2 of 36
    Lmfao @ Edge data
  • Reply 3 of 36
    What is the iPhone 5S? Is that next year's model? :)
  • Reply 4 of 36
    I noticed on the ATT site that they require you to purchase a plan for the no-contract iPhone 5. That does not make sense. is there a way to get around that?
  • Reply 5 of 36
    I can confirm this. I did exactly this, quite by accident, a couple of days ago.

• Reply 6 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by djdj View Post

What is the iPhone 5S? Is that next year's model? image

"iPhone 5s" denotes plurality. 

• Reply 7 of 36
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by justmeblue View Post

This appears to be true, we have not tried it yet.

Here is how it looks, I finally got around to the required restore although it's not with AT&T

• Reply 8 of 36
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    tylerd wrote: »
    I noticed on the ATT site that they require you to purchase a plan for the no-contract iPhone 5. That does not make sense. is there a way to get around that?

Yes. Use Straight Talk (www.straighttalk.com) to access the AT&T network.
  • Reply 9 of 36
    You can use pre paid AT&T, it's called Go Phone.

How do you quote?
  • Reply 10 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by TylerD View Post

• Reply 11 of 36
    This has been true for all iPhones since they started selling unlocked. If you go to an apple retail store and purchase a GSM model iPhone (of any generation) as 'Device Only', it is automatically unlocked.

The trick is, if the device is paired to a network, such as the AT&T iPhone 5's right now (because they don't sell an 'Unlocked' model yet), you have to wait about 10 minutes for Apple's systems to propagate, then restore the iPhone for the unlock to go through.

So, if you want an unlocked iPhone 5, just go to an Apple Retail Store and purchase an AT&T model 'Device Only', then bring it home and plug it into iTunes and restore it.

When you purchase as 'Device Only', you don't have to provide any info to a carrier, it is just the iPhone.
  • Reply 12 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by TylerD View Post

If you order it online, you risk getting a new contract with ATT, even if you pay full price.  Better to get the phone, like I did, directly from Apple.  I spent over 1 hour on the phone today with 3 -way call (me, ATT, and Apple) to verify that, indeed, my un-subsidized ATT phone purchased last Friday at the Apple store was ALREADY unlocked, and I did not even have to reset it, or go onto itunes to do so.  This was in spite of the fact that I own an iphone4S that is still within contract.  Even though I asked last Friday, Apple gave me incorrect information, and I was told my phone was locked, and that the only way to get it unlocked was to return to Apple within 30 days, and they would only do it if the unsubsidized phones had been released, which they said was unlikely - repeat: that was INCORRCT information.  Unsubsidized phones (not part of family plans as extra phones purchased) come UNLOCKED from Apple - nothing else needs to be done.  Apple even suggested that, if I wanted to make sure before travelling abroad, to visit a local T-mobile store, and have them insert a nano-sim to test it out.  I can imagine that you would have to pretend you were thinking about switching to T-mobile from ATT in order for T-mobile to do this, but it was a good suggestion, particularly since I like to use Vodaphone in Europe whenever possible (owns T-mobile for those who may not know).  I was told last year, by the way, that US T-mobile sim chips will not work in Europe, but never took one with me, prefering to get a local plan in Germany, which worked quite well on my ipad2 (I didn't have an unlocked iphone4 last year, so am looking forward to using my iphone5 the next time I'm abroad). Hope this helps.

• Reply 13 of 36
    "The device recognized T-Mobile's signal within seconds, allowing both calls and EDGE data to go through without issue"

"Lmfao @ Edge data"

Depend on location, I live in Alhambra, my T-Mobile iPhone 4 show 3G
  • Reply 14 of 36

T-Mobile iPhone 4 Factory Unlock, Alhambra CA

• Reply 15 of 36

Quote:

Originally Posted by indiekiduk View Post

How do you quote?

i have no idea...

• Reply 16 of 36
    T-Mobile's 3G coverage as it goes live can be seen here: http://airportal.de/
  • Reply 17 of 36
    indiekiduk wrote: »
    AT&T does not permit you to use Go Phone plans with the iPhone.

You have to buy their no contract monthly plan, which is different. And more expensive. Shocker, eh?
  • Reply 18 of 36

True. I called AT&T about this and the rep told me that you can use their pre-paid plans, with the lowest plan starting at $25, on the iphone 5. However, the rep told me that only voice and text would work with the iphone 5 and that you would not be able to receive data.

• Reply 19 of 36
    sipsip Posts: 210member

O2 in the UK unlocked my iPhone 3GS in the same way -- once they had processed my request, i received an SMS telling me to insert a SIM from another network in the phone and connecting it to iTunes. My bro-in-law also had his 3GS unlocked in the same way, and son did the same with his iP4.

These were all phones on contract and all that was required was that we continued to meet our contractual obligation. Apple supplied phones charged at full price are always unlocked.

• Reply 20 of 36
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    hmm - how do you cut down the sim card? my wife's iPhone 4 qualifies for an upgrade but my iPhone 4S does not until mid 2013. If I could use her number to upgrade then swap around sim cards that might get me to upgrade sooner than later.