Google reportedly planning to launch $99 Nexus 7 by end of 2012

Comments

• Reply 41 of 136

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Well, that's one way solve tablet thefts. Devalue the hardware.

Wait, people were actually stealing Android tablets? Ever?

They can't even be SOLD; who would want to steal one?

• Reply 42 of 136

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Wait, people were actually stealing Android tablets? Ever?

They can't even be SOLD; who would want to steal one?

Say that to the Kindle Fire, to the Nexus 7.

Your ignorance is astounding.

• Reply 43 of 136

Great news! This will further cement Android's position as pure junk and cheap crap.image

Who is this tablet going to be marketed towards? Homeless people?

There is a myth going around that Android users are somehow more technically inclined than Apple users? I say, bull fucking shit. That couldn't be further from the truth. Android users are for the most part cheap bastards who can't afford to invest in decent hardware.

Android is all about being cheap. It's a free OS running on mostly bottom of the barrel, cheap devices, where corners are cut every step of the way. What do you get when you take an inferior OS and run it on some cheap hardware? You get worthless garbage that any self respecting person would not even bother to use.

Using an Apple device is like eating at a fine restaurant, using Android is like slumming around and eating out of garbage cans, along with a bunch of rats. Technically speaking, both users end up getting fed, though the experience is quite different. But to each his own! 

• Reply 44 of 136

Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

iPad has 95% use share. 

But of course, to a troll, the sale of one unit of one model of one tablet running Android counts as "they're selling like hotcakes".

• Reply 45 of 136
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Supposedly they may be positioning it for the One Laptop Per Child initiative. It's not being developed for mainstream consumers if you were to believe the DigiTimes article.

http://one.laptop.org/

• Reply 46 of 136

Quote:

iPad has 95% use share. 

But of course, to a troll, the sale of one unit of one model of one tablet running Android counts as "they're selling like hotcakes".

Sorry you don't think Android is worth a damn.

You don't think anything non-Apple is worth a damn though, so it's not really surprising.

What's life like, knowing that you can't use anything non-Apple? You seem to reject and oppose any competitor, so how does it feel to lock yourself to one company and have no options?

• Reply 47 of 136
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/152936/google-reportedly-planning-to-launch-99-nexus-7-by-end-of-2012/40#post_2199727"]Great news! This will further cement Android's position as pure junk and cheap crap.:lol:

There is a myth going around that Android users are somehow more technically inclined than Apple users? I say, bull fucking shit. That couldn't be further from the truth. Android users are for the most part cheap bastards who can't afford to invest in decent hardware.

Android is all about being cheap. It's a free OS running on mostly bottom of the barrel, cheap devices, where corners are cut every step of the way. What do you get when you take an inferior OS and run it on some cheap hardware? You get worthless garbage that any self respecting person would not even bother to use.

Using an Apple device is like eating at a fine restaurant, using Android is like slumming around and eating out of garbage cans, along with a bunch of rats. Technically speaking, both users end up getting fed, though the experience is quite different. But to each his own! 

Funny thing is that google targets wrong user base selling the cheap stuff. No wonder they make used to make before ios6 the 2/3 of its mobile money from apple users
  • Reply 48 of 136

Sorry you don't think Android is worth a damn.

I think you're more sorry that the vast majority of the general public has said the same.

You don't think anything non-Apple is worth a damn though, so it's not really surprising.

Of course this is the case, being based in fact, reason, and with evidence to back it up. It couldn't possibly just be a lie borne of the fact that you're in a corner and are trying to turn the argument back on me. Nope. 

What's life like, knowing that you can't use anything non-Apple? You seem to reject and oppose any competitor, so how does it feel to lock yourself to one company and have no options?

lol, irony from an Android user.

• Reply 49 of 136

You made me laugh.

• Reply 50 of 136
    Why not just give out for free? Google wanted the user's data, they should also provide everyone free unlimited Internet access~
  • Reply 51 of 136

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

You forget R&D, manufacturing costs, shipping, returns (defects or just dissatisfied users), marketing, retail costs (bodies at the cash register and the minimum margin the big box stores want).     I'm assuming at the moment (for the next 18 months, until Moore's Law kicks in), the base cost of the device likely around $150-$200 including all of those elements, to 'break even.'   And the last I saw, Google is not a 'not for profit' company.

You're really making this up. $150-$200 to break even is a myth. Like I said, the parts cost at most $50 for a dual-core 8GB tablet. All those "R&D, ....." costs, really is nothing, because, when you're going for a $99 retail price tablet, you'll definitely sell in 10s of millions, so the average cost on those you mentioned would be spread and will be pretty low per device. Plus, e.g. marketing cost will be very low because, just the fact you're selling such device will create a lot of buzz and that's self-marketing.

You can say it'll be a low quality device and you won't buy it even if it's free, that's fine, some people here will think that way and they're free to make their choices. But I'm talking about profitability, not quality, you want quality device you go buy higher-priced devices. $99 device, consumer will have lower expectations and they'll be ok with e.g. cheap shell or lower battery life (I still expect 7-8 hours because it's ez to do for 7").

• Reply 52 of 136

This would be in line with Google's basic product strategy: Dump stuff on the market below cost, drive everyone else out of the business by making it impossible to profit other than through advertising, quality doesn't matter because users will take "free" over "paid", regardless of quality. Or, in other words, control by destruction.

So, despite the source, the rumor is consistent with Google's business practices to date.

• Reply 53 of 136

I have set my default search provider to Bing and so far the results have been as good as or better than Googles from my experience. The bing site is even showing a Bing/Google challenge lately where you can do a blind compare of search results and judge for yourself. Times they are changing if I can be converted. :>)

• Reply 54 of 136

Quote:

I think you're more sorry that the vast majority of the general public has said the same.

Of course this is the case, being based in fact, reason, and with evidence to back it up. It couldn't possibly just be a lie borne of the fact that you're in a corner and are trying to turn the argument back on me. Nope. 

lol, irony from an Android user.

It's true; you seem to hate anything non-Apple. Why is that? Why are you diametrically opposed to anything but?

Do you feel personally attacked if people dislike an Apple product? Your posts seem to show that.

I'm asking you to answer for your behavior and your comments, not to skirt them. The statement I quoted isn't answering to my accusations, it's just brushing them aside.

• Reply 55 of 136
    Some like to shop at Toys "R" Us and others at Apple.

You get what you pay for; some don't mind being dependent upon advertising and limited by choice. Others prefer to have something that works and is productive.

Wedding rings from the Cracker Jack Box don't have what you would call, staying power.
  • Reply 56 of 136

...it's just brushing them aside.

Right, because they're wholly unfounded and based in nothing but delusion. Additionally, they have nothing to do with the argument at hand, so if you want to continue to talk about made up predilections, feel free to PM me so that I can ignore it there instead of deleting posts here.

Wanna talk about the failure of Android to capture the tablet market some more?

• Reply 57 of 136

When will they learn from Apple. Less products, better quality is better than the opposite.

• Reply 58 of 136

Quote:

Right, because they're wholly unfounded and based in nothing but delusion. Additionally, they have nothing to do with the argument at hand, so if you want to continue to talk about made up predilections, feel free to PM me so that I can ignore it there instead of deleting posts here.

If it's unfounded and based in delusion, why do your posts indicate otherwise? This is how you outwardly project yourself and I'm asking you to to do some introspection and figure out why.

• Reply 59 of 136

Quote:

Are there some actual numbers -- that Amazon puts out -- you can point me to?*

*It's a trick question.

• Reply 60 of 136
    It's a waiting game. Apple waits as Androids of all colours dig holes for themselves. Does either $99 or $199 cover all costs? Of course the makers have some how found ways to design these devices on the cheap as from these two prices it does not look like a lot is left over for R&D.
    The reality will be in the products on the shelves. Let's see what you get for these prices. There is a standard to which even the cheap will not succumb.
    Apple paved the road to development, the others are paving the road to broke.