Google reportedly planning to launch $99 Nexus 7 by end of 2012

Comments

• Reply 61 of 136
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

A $99 Nexus tablet will fly off the shelves.

It certainly worked for the Google phone.

Oh.

Wait.

NEXUS One?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/07/19/nexus-one-dead-google-dis_n_650855.html

• Reply 62 of 136
    $99 seriously? I was in Staples a few weeks ago for supplies. Took a look at the tablets being offered. One was a Nexus 7. My main interest was the build quality. The sample in the store was damaged. The mini-USB connector was bent toward the back of the device causing a separation in the plastic back all along the bottom edge. Sorry Google but it looked like a piece of crap. If their $200 device is this poorly constructed, then what to expect from a $99 device.
  • Reply 63 of 136

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Are there some actual numbers -- that Amazon puts out -- you can point me to?*

*It's a trick question.

You don't see Kindle Fires everywhere? I do -- everyone and their mother has one, despite my feelings that a Nexus 7 would be a better product overall, if only because it supports both the Kindle and Nook reading apps, and gives access to more content.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

It certainly worked for the Google phone.

Oh.

Wait.

Great point. Android's market share dominates even the next competitor, Apple. Despite the fact that there is almost no marketing for the Nexus brand of phones, and it's almost exclusively picked up only by the hardcore enthusiasts.

A $99 tablet with the Nexus branding means it passes Google's standards and runs stock Android, receiving updates directly from them, and is easily modded. That appeals to anyone. Cheap tablets of poor quality run Android and provide a terrible user experience--a cheap tablet that provides a high user experience with the stock Android OS is a win for consumers and surely will sell well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCS1604 View Post

$99 seriously? I was in Staples a few weeks ago for supplies. Took a look at the tablets being offered. One was a Nexus 7. My main interest was the build quality. The sample in the store was damaged. The mini-USB connector was bent toward the back of the device causing a separation in the plastic back all along the bottom edge. Sorry Google but it looked like a piece of crap. If their $200 device is this poorly constructed, then what to expect from a $99 device.

Your basis of build quality is centered around one experience at Staples? Everybody is constantly playing with those products, with no disregard for their well being. I've seen laptops, tablets and phones in poor condition everywhere--Best Buy, Sprint, etc.--because they're floor models. Missing styluses, missing port covers (even ripped off), damaged hinges, cracks..

Regardless of the product you're purchasing, I don't think an assessment based on floor model alone is a fair way to evaluate build quality. I'm not saying that you can't feel it, touch it, use and experience it and generate an otherwise different answer on it's build quality, but making a statement that a bent USB connector indicates poor quality on a floor model seems like poor reasoning.

• Reply 64 of 136

They might want to make sure their *first* cheap tablet is actually successful before they throw yet another one onto the Android pile. 

• Reply 65 of 136

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

It's a waiting game. Apple waits as Androids of all colours dig holes for themselves. Does either $99 or $199 cover all costs? Of course the makers have some how found ways to design these devices on the cheap as from these two prices it does not look like a lot is left over for R&D.

The reality will be in the products on the shelves. Let's see what you get for these prices. There is a standard to which even the cheap will not succumb.

Apple paved the road to development, the others are paving the road to broke.

Competing with Apple in the tablet space on *price*, has been a losing proposition so far. Especially when these tablets are running Android. Which clearly isn't an OS that does well on tablets. 

• Reply 66 of 136

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

They might want to make sure their *first* cheap tablet is actually successful before they throw yet another one onto the Android pile. 

What qualifies as "successful" to you? I'd say the Nexus 7 is successful.

• Reply 67 of 136
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    shidell wrote: »
    A $99 Nexus tablet will fly off the shelves.

No doubt there. Look how the $99 HP tablet flew off the shelves and that thing was a total dead end product.

Samsung is likely to tell Google to **** off.

I am sure they pay Asus a development fee then Google absorbs the loss.

It got to be pretty cheaply made.
  • Reply 68 of 136
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    tomhayes wrote: »
    I'll wait for the $29 dollar tablet.

$9.99 or bust.

Come on Google.

Do it!
  • Reply 69 of 136
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCS1604 View Post

You're basing your evaluation on a store demo. Blame Staples for not maintaining their demo hardware properly. The Nexus 7 is actually pretty well built.

I would be concerned about a $99 tablet. If this rumor is true, which I doubt, there would be a lot of compromises to get it to that price.

• Reply 70 of 136

Quote:

Originally Posted by msantti View Post

No doubt there. Look how the $99 HP tablet flew off the shelves and that thing was a total dead end product.

Samsung is likely to tell Google to **** off.

I am sure they pay Asus a development fee then Google absorbs the loss.

It got to be pretty cheaply made.

Um.. what? HP Tablet? Are you talking about the one that ran WebOS, and certainly didn't cost $99 (at least not until discontinued, and the hacking community realized could be modified to run Android--at which time the stock was bought out?)

We didn't think a $199 tablet was feasible either, and it clearly is. Materials get cheaper as time goes on, and while neither you nor I knows what it costs to produce a tablet at this cost, one thing we can be certain of is that Google won't put the Nexus brand on a poor product. That said, it'll either be a good product, or it won't exist at all and it's a rumor.

Keep in mind that Android is free and open to any vendor. Google doesn't rely on vendors to distribute it, it simply makes it available to them to use if they'd like. Any vendor could've produced a $200 tablet like the Nexus 7 and sold it, just like any vendor could do the same with a tablet of $99.

There are tablets that are cheaper, but they're mostly garbage, from companies with poor track records for support. Knock-offs from the East, etc.

It would be refreshing to see a company make high-quality products using stock Android and releasing timely updates to support their products to build a strong customer base. The largest problem with the manufacturers producing Android phones and tablets is dilution. HTC has so many Android phone models out coupled with their skins and add-ons that it takes them six months to a year to produce software updates. If they focused on three products a year, high-mid and low-end and released updates consistently, I think they'd fare much better.

• Reply 71 of 136
    Yawn. Another piece of crap Android device that can clutter up my garage.
  • Reply 72 of 136

Do you have any sales numbers for the fire or Nexus? Otherwise we can assume you are trolling. I havn't seen any in London or Spain though iPads are common.

• Reply 73 of 136
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Great point. Android's market share dominates even the next competitor, Apple. Despite the fact that there is almost no marketing for the Nexus brand of phones, and it's almost exclusively picked up only by the hardcore enthusiasts.

If it (The Google NEXUS ONE) was such a rousing success why did Google kill it as outlined in the linked-to article?

Because it wasn't a success at all. Huge FAIL.

Google Tablet (Nexus #) = Google Phone (Nexus One). Hope that makes the point clearer.

• Reply 74 of 136
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by marsk View Post

Why not just give out for free? Google wanted the user's data, they should also provide everyone free unlimited Internet access~

Some users' data is more valuable than others'. Maybe its time Apple developed the most awesome search service? They should buy and develop someone like duckduckgo.com and peck away at Google. 

• Reply 75 of 136

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

Google's stupidity is exceeded only by Google's stupidity. They will lose money on every unit but make it up on volume.

If they lose money on each unit, won't volume (selling more) mean bigger lost?

• Reply 76 of 136

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

If it (The Google NEXUS ONE) was such a rousing success why did Google kill it as outlined in the linked-to article?

Because it wasn't a success at all. Huge FAIL.

Google Tablet (Nexus #) = Google Phone (Nexus One). Hope that makes the point clearer.

The Nexus program isn't "dead." The Nexus One was retired as it's hardware is old. It was replaced by the Nexus S, and more recently, the Galaxy Nexus.

"Nexus" devices are certified by Google and run pure Android, receiving software updates directly from Google.

I have absolutely no idea what your point is with this statement: Google Tablet (Nexus #) = Google Phone (Nexus One).

• Reply 77 of 136

Quote:

Sorry you don't think Android is worth a damn.

You don't think anything non-Apple is worth a damn though, so it's not really surprising.

Most of that stuff isn't. Especially when it comes to tablets. 

By whoring out their OS to everyone, and thereby relinquishing control of their OS at a critical stage, Google shows that they, also, don't think Android's worth a damn, either.

This is why a "stale" OS with a "just a grid of icons" not only remains the dominant mobile OS worldwide (not limited to smartphones), but also why it dominates in consumer satisfaction, often by very wide margins. 

You're not getting too far around here, are you.

• Reply 78 of 136

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Well, that's one way solve tablet thefts. Devalue the hardware.

We can give school kids tablets. It won't solve tablet thefts, but stealing from kids is easier than stealing mine so it can reduce the chances of my tablet getting stolen.

• Reply 79 of 136
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Keep in mind that Android is free and open to any vendor. Google doesn't rely on vendors to distribute it, it simply makes it available to them to use if they'd like. Any vendor could've produced a $200 tablet like the Nexus 7 and sold it, just like any vendor could do the same with a tablet of $99.

There are tablets that are cheaper, but they're mostly garbage, from companies with poor track records for support. Knock-offs from the East, etc.

It would be refreshing to see a company make high-quality products using stock Android and releasing timely updates to support their products to build a strong customer base.

You DO know there are android forums right?

And Android isn't open.  In order to ship an AndroidTM product you need Google's blessing.  If you fork android and ship a product you can pretty much figure on getting booted from the OHA and won't be able to ship any more AndroidTM products.

But I digress, here let me provide you a link: http://bit.ly/Q4v8Zq

• Reply 80 of 136

Quote:

Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post

Do you have any sales numbers for the fire or Nexus? Otherwise we can assume you are trolling. I havn't seen any in London or Spain though iPads are common.

I have one friend that bought a Fire for his daughter and she hates it.  I was at a party this weekend and there happened to be a few UPS drivers there and we started discussing the iPhone 5 launch.  They are always amazed at the amount of apple deliveries surrounding release days.  I asked about the Fire, they said In the beginning they made a few deliveries a day, but not much since.