Google's "iLost" Motorola ad faked an address to "lose" iOS 6 Maps

Comments

• Reply 21 of 277

Bing Maps can find it.

Nokia Maps can find it.

We all know Google Maps can find it.

And somehow this doesn't expose a deficiency with Apple's Maps at all? Why can't Apple's mapping solution find it if its competitors can?

• Reply 22 of 277
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

It might be a fun exercise to Google (see what I did there?) every blog post or forum content from the last week with "315 E 15th" and "New York" in them, to ferret out all the Fandroids who claimed that this was an actual failure for Apple's maps.

• Reply 23 of 277
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    smags wrote: »
    I beg to differ but I'm in Manhattan and searching for "318 e 15st" gives me something near state college PA.  "318 e 15 st" gives me "no results found".

For me searching apple maps in NYC does not work.

if you post a screen shot in the next twenty seconds i'll believe you. otherwise your two posts smells of troll.
  • Reply 24 of 277

Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

It might be a fun exercise to Google (see what I did there?) every blog post or forum content from the last week with "315 E 15th" and "New York" in them, to ferret out all the Fandroids who claimed that this was an actual failure for Apple's maps.

It is a failure if your competitors can find it and your solution is lacking isn't it? Look above.

• Reply 25 of 277
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

I actually think all this bad publicity will turn out to be a huge advantage for Apple long term. Think about it. Apple hates criticism with any merit. They have billions in the bank to fix the problem by hiring mapping experts, mapping engineers, and anything else they need to do. Instead of going slowly and taking their time to resolve the issue I bet Apple is going to pull out all the stops and dramatically improve Maps far, far faster that they would have done if no one really commented about it. Google may end up regretting all this bad publicity for Apple maps since Apple has the ability and now determination to correct these issues at a lightning instead of snail's pace. 

• Reply 26 of 277
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GalaxyTab View Post

Bing Maps can find it.

Nokia Maps can find it.

We all know Google Maps can find it.

And somehow this doesn't expose a deficiency with Apple's Maps at all? Why can't Apple's mapping solution find it if its competitors can?

there is no such address according to the NYC department of buildings website. every address in NYC is in their system

everyone except apple probably used fake placeholders or if there is a big gap in numbers they probably have a location estimate algorithm

• Reply 27 of 277
    OK - that was enough to make me change my iPhone 5 safari settings to use Bing instead of google for searches...
  • Reply 28 of 277
    maccherry wrote: »
    Lol!
    Apple just sold over 5 million iPhone 5 s in the past week and a half so this crap by Moto is mute IMHO. And Apple did it with their own hardware and software.

moot?
  • Reply 29 of 277

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I actually think all this bad publicity will turn out to be a huge advantage for Apple long term. Think about it. Apple hates criticism with any merit. They have billions in the bank to fix the problem by hiring mapping experts, mapping engineers, and anything else they need to do. Instead of going slowly and taking their time to resolve the issue I bet Apple is going to pull out all the stops and dramatically improve Maps far, far faster that they would have done if no one really commented about it. Google may end up regretting all this bad publicity for Apple maps since Apple has the ability and now determination to correct these issues at a lightning instead of snail's pace. 

That's an interesting point. 

• Reply 30 of 277
    This is an example of how easily people accept Google results as law. Over the years I have found Google's Maps for iOS to be highly flawed (in NYC) for a mapping service that has been around so long. So most of the fervent criticism of Apple Maps struck me as spoiled rhetoric %u2013 which will always be Apple's problem because they consistently raise the bar so high that people expect perfection from them.

I don't want to diminish the real mistakes in Apple Maps, but I just can't empathize since I have yet to find any trouble with the new Maps. I updated my iPhone 3GS - yes, 3GS %u2013 right before going on a weekend trip to upstate NY to a not-so populated town not even thinking that I might be jeopardizing my access to reliable mapping. Yet the maps worked perfectly. It helped my wife and I with our newborn baby find our way around flawlessly, a couple times even better than Google Maps probably would have with its missing image grids trying to keep up with low signal spots.
  • Reply 32 of 277
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    al_bundy wrote: »
    there is no such address according to the NYC department of buildings website. every address in NYC is in their system

perhaps because there is no structure there? see my earlier post, where i mention that the new york city map website can find it.
  • Reply 33 of 277

Quote:

Originally Posted by smags View Post

I beg to differ but I'm in Manhattan and searching for "318 e 15st" gives me something near state college PA.  "318 e 15 st" gives me "no results found".

For me searching apple maps in NYC does not work.

I agree. Try "coney island, brooklyn" with or without the comma. Gives you a bizarre location in Brooklyn, miles from Coney Island.

I don't know why Google/Motorola was stupid enough to use a fake address. There are plenty of real ones that don't work.

• Reply 34 of 277

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

This is an example of very good investigation and a well-written explanation. Kudos to the author.

I would like to think it's just sloppy work on Moto's part rather than intentionally misleading, but only the people who developed the ad would know for certain. I would betcha there's a couple of execs in high places that want to know how they settled on that particular address.

And I would betcha there's a couple of execs in high places at Google, named Larry and Eric, who green-lighted this.

• Reply 35 of 277

Sorry, not a troll.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

if you post a screen shot in the next twenty seconds i'll believe you. otherwise your two posts smells of troll.

• Reply 36 of 277
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

What a strange thing to do when there's so many genuine mistakes in Apple's Maps app.

For example, Tottenham Court Road station (used by 100,000 people a day) in London is missing. I reported the problem the days that iOS 6 was released and Apple still hasn't fixed the problem. 

• Reply 37 of 277
    Losing Google's YouTube App on iOS:
    No biggie...we don't have to watch Gangnam Style

Losing Google Maps on iOS:
    Millions of users in the Apple community disoriented...Apple, this is a monumental and fundamental part of what makes the iPhone or any smartphone a fledging Internet communications device. We have become so dependant on this in our daily lives and we take google maps as a feature that we pay for on iPhone having paid 1000's of dollars on products.

When the first iPhone came out, google maps was a primary feature and since then it always has been for millions of us. Now... Suddenly this smartphone is not so smart after all is it?

All we as customers want is some official statement regarding the situation so we can make calculated decisions in our own lives. The majority of users don't care about your beef with Google... We just want to know what's going to be done about this fiasco of epic proportions.
  • Reply 38 of 277
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

I'm a huge loyal apple fan but the maps need a lot of work and they deserve the criticism they're getting.

With two posts.  And you joined last week.  Uh, yeah, not buying it.

• Reply 39 of 277
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    Another great, detailed article Daniel. Thank you

I've lost any remaining trust in Google. I've switched all my default search to Bing. It's actually pretty darned good. I recommend everyone giving it try
  • Reply 40 of 277
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Sorry, not a troll.

Ok, so you're not a troll maybe, but maybe you're just doing it wrong.

I'm in NYC too, and I just fired up my iPad 3 real quick and did a search for 318 e 15 st, and while I'm typing a big list of suggestions pop up and even before I'm done typing the address, the very first one on the list is 318 E 15th St New York, NY.