Google reportedly planning to launch $99 Nexus 7 by end of 2012

Comments

• Reply 101 of 136

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

I agree. I think the update process sucks, and could definitely get better. Waiting for OS updates is painful.

I think part of the reason the process hurts so much is because even with Nexus devices, carriers force Google to meet their standards testing--whereas I believe Apple's clout allows them to control the process, carriers be damned. If Google can get past that, we may see updates in a more timely fashion.

Ultimately, I want to see a paradigm shift where you can install the OS of your choosing on your phone (and why shouldn't you? Dual core/quad core 1 Ghz+ devices with 1 Gb+ of RAM), so that when an OS is released you can update just as you would with OS X, Windows, etc. Ideally, you could install the OS of your choice: Android; Windows Phone, iOS, etc. That might seem idealist, but that's where I want (and think) it's heading. Hardware outpaces software so greatly that continual even new OSes run well on older hardware, as long as drivers are available.

Personally, I don't think it'll head there. Apple has shown how custom software and hardware can work together to be extremely power efficient. On the Android side of things, the manufacturers skin Android to differentiate and hopefully win your money for the next phone you buy as well so you always buy their flavour of Android. 

• Reply 102 of 136
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

You don't like being challenged, do you? What makes you think Android is a "stale" OS with just a "grid of icons"? It's an open-source project, you can use it for whatever you desire. I don't agree with reskinning and heavily modding it for purposes of Sense, TouchWiz or even the Kindle Fire, but I'm not those companies, and I can choose what I want--so I choose a Nexus device.

You, like Skil, seem to be offended by anything non-Apple. Why is that? What makes you want to defend Apple to the death (regardless of point or topic), and vehemently hate anything non-Apple?

See, I like Android because it's open. The world I want to live in has a platform for smartphones and tablets like it does for PCs, where there is a standardized firmware spec that allows you to install the OS of your choosing. I don't believe hardware should be sent to the landfill because the manufacturer doesn't provide you an update. If you have a Nexus S and don't like it, you should be able to install Windows Phone 7 or 8, or similarly, iOS. If you're unsatisfied with iOS on your iPhone 3G, you should be able to install Android Gingerbread, ICS, or Jelly Bean and try them. 

I don't claim Google is perfect and have demonstrated that. 

Why are you so unflinchingly pro-Apple and anti-everything else?

This is a messageboard on an Apple rumors site. My question to you, is why you choose to obsessively post here, since you have clearly stated you prefer the Android OS and google products in general. Why post on messaboard dedicated to products you're not a fan of, and you don't even like? Why not spend your time on messageboards dedicated to Android? I don't get it. You fundamentally disagree with Apple's approach, so why are you even here? Do you think Apple will suddenly change, become open-source, or allow the installation of any OS on their phones? Why do you pretend this is a possibility, so you can pretend to be dissapointed when it doesn't happen? I;ll never understand the psychology of people like you. 

• Reply 103 of 136

I'm not a fan of Google at all, but they do search better than anyone and their mapping is hard to beat as too. I'm all for Apple de-google-izing as much as possible, just do it for the right reasons and have something that's just as good ready to go. Google like to pretend that they're this "open-source" hero and everyone's buddy, don't be mean etc. Their motives are anything but pure. They want to look over your shoulder at every possible moment because that makes them more money with their REAL customers. Facebook is just as bad. I'm okay with a little targeted advertising, I just think that Google and Facebook have gone too far. 

• Reply 104 of 136
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

There are rumors of a very light carbon fiber ipad mini on the french websites. The tablet would also have a new anti glare screen.  Cant find anything about it on english sites.

About the 99$ google tablet, I think Samsung wont be very happy about it.

• Reply 105 of 136
    shidell wrote: »
    Say that to the Kindle Fire, to the Nexus 7.

Your ignorance is astounding.

Why don't they tell us how well they are selling?

All Amazon ever says is "it's the best selling product on Amazon" and all we hear about the Nexus 7 is "it's sold out everywhere"

So what does that mean?

Amazon just launched their 2nd round of tablets... without ever proving that the 1st round was a success.

I'm sure it was a success... to them... but why aren't they required to disclose sales figures? Or returns?

Amazon is a hardware vendor now... they aren't just a services company anymore. They've got actual physical products out in the world that cost real money per device. Shouldn't Amazon's investors demand to know this information?
  • Reply 106 of 136
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

...Shouldn't Amazon's investors demand to know this information?

Their stock price is up $45 in the last 3 months so I wouldn't worry about their sales numbers.  It is up close to $90 in the last 12 months so again, I doubt the stock holders are worried.

• Reply 107 of 136

Quote:

Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

Their stock price is up $45 in the last 3 months so I wouldn't worry about their sales numbers.  It is up close to $90 in the last 12 months so again, I doubt the stock holders are worried.

With a P/E of more than 312 they should be....

• Reply 108 of 136
    ipenipen Posts: 410member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

Google is effectively killing off any chance of Android hardware manufactures making any money in tablets. Namely, Samsung

If I were them, I would be fu***** pissed.

Google is looking out for itself...One giant funnel into search to drive their core business. It does not give a shit about its partners

The other shoe will drop in a few years when Apple replaces Google with Bing as the default search. Boom. In one move, Google loses half its mobile revenues

I agree except that "Apple replaces Google with Bing..."  It's highly unlikely.  It's more likely that Apple will develop their own search engine.  Just wait and watch, iSearch, will come out sooner than you think, and it'll storm the search engine landscape and Google stock will drop 50% :-)

• Reply 109 of 136
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDrider View Post

Glad you joined...today....

• Reply 110 of 136

Quote:

Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

Glad you joined...today....

Thanks.

Long time reader, not really time to post. Really no time for pointless debate. But fact are fact. PE that high is never good.

• Reply 111 of 136
    icoco3 wrote: »

But is that based on the phenomenal (yet unknown) sales of the Kindle Fire? Or from something else? We'll never know.

You could say that Amazon's stock price has increased since the Kindle Fire was introduced. That's certainly an example of correlation.

For me... I'm just curious. As a logical thinker... I like to know the meaning of "best-selling"

If they are gonna make that kind of statement... why don't they back it up with facts?
  • Reply 112 of 136
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    thedrider wrote: »

I guess I need to buy some more put options. I made a ton of money the last time I bet that AMZN was way overpriced.
  • Reply 113 of 136
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

You are right. Android is "open", to use their applications (e.g. "Google Play"), you need their certification. Anyone can take Android and do what they please with it--shoddy tablets included.

Ask Acer if this is true.  

Hint:  No.

Quote:

As for Android forums, yeah, there are. Sadly, at Android forums, it's the reverse of what we find here: Die-hard fanatics calling iOS and Windows Phone garbage, worthless, etc. I don't subscribe to that mindset, there are positives and negatives to every platform, and I wish people could more openly discuss and debate them. People are polarized, it's like politics, religion, racism--as a race we seem to have a hard time keeping an open mind.

I stick around here to challenge people stuck in their ways and refusing to accept arguments that are unsubstantial. "Android is garbage" is an example of such.

You are not providing a public service.  What you are doing is trolling.  And don't bother trying to pretend otherwise because there are instances in this thread where you aren't challenging anyone but insulting them.

Like here:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

Your ignorance is astounding.

• Reply 114 of 136

Quote:

Originally Posted by marsk View Post

$99 to get a device to collect and track all your usage behaviour and help data mining? NO Thanks!

Like I give a crap if they see I was looking for a new motherboard or coffee or whatever. I could care less it is in no way important info except to advertisers and I use ad muncher anyway. No big deal.

For example I have a kindle with "special offers" ads while in standby. They do not bother me or intrude in the least bit. It just doesn't matter to me at all.

• Reply 115 of 136

Originally Posted by faZZter View Post

Like I give a crap if they see I was looking for a new motherboard or coffee or whatever. I could care less it is in no way important info except to advertisers and I use ad muncher anyway. No big deal.

You don't care that every single thing you do is being tracked and sold to people?

And good luck using "ad muncher" when they're baked into the OS. 

• Reply 116 of 136

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You don't care that every single thing you do is being tracked and sold to people?

And good luck using "ad muncher" when they're baked into the OS. 

Your reading comprehension is good I see.......

• Reply 117 of 136
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    shidell wrote: »
    You are right. Android is "open", to use their applications (e.g. "Google Play"), you need their certification. Anyone can take Android and do what they please with it--shoddy tablets included.

As for Android forums, yeah, there are. Sadly, at Android forums, it's the reverse of what we find here: Die-hard fanatics calling iOS and Windows Phone garbage, worthless, etc. I don't subscribe to that mindset, there are positives and negatives to every platform, and I wish people could more openly discuss and debate them. People are polarized, it's like politics, religion, racism--as a race we seem to have a hard time keeping an open mind.

I stick around here to challenge people stuck in their ways and refusing to accept arguments that are unsubstantial. "Android is garbage" is an example of such.

Regarding the bolded, that's not true. If it were the reverse of what we find here, Android forums would be flooded with people being paid by Apple to spread FUD and by mindless trolls with IQs somewhere around 40 posting the most inane garbage they can come up with. And that doesn't happen. You don't see Apple fans on the Android forums (other than perhaps a very rare exception) posting "Google sucks" and spreading lies.
  • Reply 118 of 136
    Will WTC or EU looks into this type of predatory pricing? I think that Google is still working with EU to avoid paying the penalty of 10% of worldwide profit. Now they are doing this to drive out competition. Google is probably pissed at Apple kicking them out of the iOS platform. Now they want to extract their pound of flesh on Apple's iPad mini.
  • Reply 119 of 136
    Same way Microsoft sells hardware (XBOX) at a loss so it can make up the difference with software (games). There's nothing wrong with this.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xero910 View Post

This isn't a game of limbo.. I thought Google said they were already breaking even at $200. How can they trim off another $100? If true, this has to be at a loss.

• Reply 120 of 136

Quote:

Originally Posted by msantti View Post

Well, that will end any other Android tablet development.

I mean, what's the point?

Gotta agree.  Eventually, it would just not be worth it.  Plus you would have to keep removing features to get the price point low enough.  That said, one of those cheap tablets may end up being the "bathroom magazine rack" of the 21st century.