Apple iPad dominates tablet-based web browsing with 98% share, report says

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A study released on Thursday claims the iPad accounts for nearly of all web traffic originating from tablets, and 54.5 percent of all traffic from mobile devices, to sites running the touch-centric Onswipe platform.

In its first-ever study, Onswipe, a digital publishing tool developer that helps websites create "touch friendly" web experiences without building a standalone app, found that Apple's tablet represented 98.1 percent of 29.5 million unique impressions over 1200 sites from Sept. 13 to Sept. 20.

Onswipe Study
Source: Onswipe

Apple's massive share was followed by Samsung's Galaxy Tab and Motorola's Xoom, which managed 1.53 percent and 0.21 percent of tablet-based traffic, respectively. Amazon's 7-inch Kindle Fire came in fourth with 0.11 percent.

"The iPad is clearly a browsing device," Onswipe CEO Jason Baptiste told AppleInsider, explaining that his company can track device and engagement data via the aptly-named Onswipe platform.

Digging deeper into the results, iPad users spent 56.9 percent more time per web surfing session than iPhone owners, possibly hinting that the tablet's larger screen is better suited for browsing.

Also of note is the iPad's 54.5 percent share of total mobile web traffic, more than doubling the iPhone's share of 19.05 percent despite having comparatively fewer units in operation.

iPad v. iPhone

Interestingly, the Kindle Fire has seen a bump in web content engagement, as users spend 79 percent more time per page visit compared to iPad users. Amazon's small form factor device also generates 138 percent more page views per visit relative to Apple's tablet. The results offer a look at what could be the future of tablet computing as an onslaught of 7-inch products hit the market, possibly signaling a push toward smaller, more portable devices.

As for operating system share, Apple's iOS owns 75.12 percent of total mobile content consumption across Onswipe's monitored network, followed by Android with 22.3 percent and all others with 2.5 percent.

Baptiste made note of a brief follow-up study conducted on Wednesday which found iOS 6 accounted for 40.8 percent of all iOS traffic for visitors to Onswipe partner sites. Of the 250,000 unique iOS users studied, 56.76 percent of iPhone users upgraded to iOS 6, compared to 37.75 percent of iPad owners.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 80

So all fo these Android devices are sold to whom, may I ask? To the companies themselves?

• Reply 2 of 80
    "I don't know what these other tablets are doing! They must be in warehouses, or in store shelves, or maybe in somebody's bottom drawer!" --Tim Cook, at the Sept. 12 iPhone 5 announcement.
  • Reply 3 of 80
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Quote:

Originally Posted by logandigges View Post

So all fo these Android devices are sold to whom, may I ask? To the companies themselves?

freebies for the employees.

As for the Kindle Fire user spending 79% more time? it's such a small sample size considering 0.11% of tablet web traffic is the Fire. You can't draw any conclusions about 7" tablets when the 10" tablet usage is 98+%

• Reply 4 of 80

Quote:

Originally Posted by logandigges View Post

It just tells that most of the Android smartphones sold are actually used as dumb-phones.

I think it can be easily deduced from the stats above how many of 1M (activated Android devices per day) used for Internet browsing.

• Reply 5 of 80
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

98% image

Fandroids can lie all they like, but the simple fact is that almost nobody is using Android tablets for anything worthwhile.

Some ignorant person probably sees an ad for some cheap Android tablet and thinks to themselves "I've always wanted an iPad, but I'm kind of broke right now, so lemme get this Android tablet instead. I've heard a few people on the internet say that it was good, and nobody ever lies or shills on the internet."

And then they come home and realize that it is complete crap, and they never end up doing much with it, money right down the drain. You should've bought an iPad, suckers! image

The next moron who even mutters the words "iPad killer" deserves to be waterboarded.

• Reply 6 of 80
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    But but but where is the Nexus 7"? All the tech sites bragged about how it sold out...
  • Reply 7 of 80
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Imagine the drop in revenues for Google! No wonder they are blitzing the blogs with anti Apple maps fake negative reports.
  • Reply 8 of 80
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    [LIST]
    [*]
    [*]
    [*]
    [/LIST]
    I have to think most folks buying Android tablets can't afford or simply don't know what an Internet is and use them for playing Angry birds or reading books. Wait, how do they buy apps???
  • Reply 9 of 80
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I have to think most folks buying Android tablets can't afford Internet connrctivity and use them for playing Angry birds or reading books.

Maybe angry birds, but I doubt that they read too many books. People who read a lot are often better informed, less ignorant and also make more money.

The low-end Android market is clearly not marketing to intelligent or well-read people.

• Reply 10 of 80
    I remember there was a unit called impressions per 100 iPad impressions.
  • Reply 11 of 80
    "Interestingly, the Kindle Fire has seen a bump in web content engagement, as users spend 79 percent more time per page visit compared to iPad users. "

Users have to use more time to browse the same web since the kindle fire is much more smaller than iPad, they have to scroll and scroll in order to read all contents.
  • Reply 12 of 80
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Yet all the "experts" consistently quote a 60-65% market share for the iPad.
  • Reply 13 of 80
    i run a major retail e-commerce site for one a 1200 store chain and we see 70 % iOS device for mobile vs. under 20% for all Android combined. So bad that we pretty much ignore Android in our mobile strategy discussions.

And to make matters worse, the conversion rate on Android users is a fraction of iOS users, making them even less valuable to the organization!

Translation: Android users are NOT using phones are web devices and spend no money, so they are of no value to us!

• Reply 14 of 80

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Maybe angry birds, but I doubt that they read too many books. People who read a lot are often better informed, less ignorant and also make more money.

The low-end Android market is clearly not marketing to intelligent or well-read people.

Whoa, step back a little bit.  Most people who buy non-iPads probably buy them as a device dedicated to one or two purposes, and can thus justify the limited functionality of their lower priced device.  That does not make them idiots.  Maybe they are strapped for cash, so what?  I see a lot of the "wealthier" iOS6 users on this site complaining about a free maps app like someone stole their car.  Suggest to them to buy one of the non-free navigation apps and see who's cheaper.  I have no problems with people debating the worth of one  product versus another, but don't insult people.  

• Reply 15 of 80

deleted
  • Reply 16 of 80
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    A study released on Thursday claims the iPad accounts for nearly of all web traffic originating from tablets, and 54.5 percent of all traffic from mobile devices, to sites running the touch-centric Onswipe platform.
    In its first-ever study, <a href="http://www.onswipe.com/">Onswipe</a>, a digital publishing tool developer that helps websites create "touch friendly" web experiences without building a standalone app, found that Apple's tablet represented 98.1 percent of 29.5 million unique impressions over 1200 sites from Sept. 13 to Sept. 20.

Am I really the only one here capable of critical thinking?

While I believe that they observed 98%, but no one is asking, "98% OF WHAT?"

The company makes ads and appears to be tracking ad impressions. There is absolutely no indication that their sample is representative of the Internet using population as a whole and the results are therefore largely meaningless. Their customers might tend to be people who dislike Google ads for some reason and might therefore tend to be developers of apps that only run on iOS.

That said, it's hard to underestimate Apple's impact on the industry. I just came across a graphic that gives a great example of how Apple is changing the industry:

(Hint: ask yourself who's missing)
  • Reply 17 of 80

What is probably not mentioned is that all Android users are able to change what a webiste sees when it logs onto it, via UA string, or even through available browsers. In which case Android tablets can appear as Internet Explorer or even Firefox, Chrome or whatever else third party browser there may be for a pc. The page views that are reported are probably those that are still sitting as store demos or are in stock configuration. So I wouldn't go hootin' and hollerin' just yet. 

• Reply 18 of 80

What is probably not mentioned is that all Android users are able to change what a webiste sees when it logs onto it, via UA string, or even through available browsers. In which case Android tablets can appear as Internet Explorer or even Firefox, Chrome or whatever else third party browser there may be for a pc. The page views that are reported are probably those that are still sitting as store demos or are in stock configuration. So I wouldn't go hootin' and hollerin' just yet. 

• Reply 19 of 80

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

(Hint: ask yourself who's missing)

Hey, I remember that image. Come a long way since 2008. He's missing on both platforms now. image

• Reply 20 of 80

"Where are all the RIM Playbooks on these charts?" -nobody