Google's "iLost" Motorola ad faked an address to "lose" iOS 6 Maps

Comments

• Reply 161 of 277
    If Apple didn't make a shit app to begin with our iPhones would be working better. Sue them for what pointing out the fact that their Maps App if a failure and that we a touted feature (one again) does not meet the promise or the expectation.

Get real, I checked Google Maps online and the address came up, seems like a bunch of BS to me. Oh and yes I have owned the iP4, iP4s and I have the iP5 64GB Black on Verizon!
  • Reply 162 of 277
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member

Quote:

Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Lol!

Apple just sold over 5 million iPhone 5 s in the past week and a half so this crap by Moto is mute IMHO. And Apple did it with their own hardware and software.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

moot?

In his defense crap can't speak  :)

• Reply 163 of 277

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

so if I'm understanding you all correctly...everyone else is wrong...Apple is right?

I guess it's possible...though unlikely.

Not unlikely at all, in fact, that's usually the case, why should this time be different? You know, it's just like the time that they were right about a touch screen device being better than a Blackberry, and everyone else, including Google, was wrong.

• Reply 164 of 277

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

... You really think that Google paid someone for months just to look through a database to find missing entries?  First of all, that takes minutes if not seconds as long you're leveraging the power of the computer that stores the database instead of doing it manually.  Second, no company in their right mind would do that simply to make an internet-based ad.

Yes, absolutely.

They had no choice but to do it manually, because they don't have the ability to, "[leverage] the power of the computer that stores the database." They don't have access directly to Apple's servers, so, yes, absolutely, they paid people to do it.

They didn't do it just for the ad, they did it for this entire astroturfing, media shepherding, PR campaign they have launched against Apple's Maps. But, it's clear they had to dig pretty deep for some pretty arcane results. Getting shut out from iPhone users will put a big hit on their revenues, they have no scruples, so, yes, absolutely.

• Reply 165 of 277
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichFromNY View Post

I love reading the Apple boards and Android boards for a good laugh...with the way some of you people react you would thing someone from the other side just walked in a kicked your puppy...

Quote:

Originally Posted by iSteelers View Post

Sad but true.

Amazing, you guys finally understand.

It is sad and true that you'll never know what it's like to really enjoy a computer/mobile device unless you own an Apple product. 

I commend you for your honesty and maturity.

• Reply 166 of 277
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by EddE View Post

>> address that didn't actually exist <<

If IOS 6 Map looks for it then it's a terrible software bug that needs to get fixed. It must prompt "address does not exist" then stops instead of pointing the user into a totally irrelevant location. IOS 6 Map developers should try a bad address on a $50 GPS to learn how it works.

Except for one thing. When it was given the address, it pointed the user to the nearest location (Brooklyn) that had that address. So why is that wrong?

Wrong or not, Apple appear to have updated their database so that it now returns the same Manhattan address whether or not "Manhattan" is included in the search.

• Reply 167 of 277

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Except for one thing. When it was given the address, it pointed the user to the nearest location (Brooklyn) that had that address. So why is that wrong?

It's wrong because the given address was totally irrelevant. It's like you wanted to find a ghost and IOS 6 showed some living person's face.

There should be no substitution for anything that did not exist. Now if IOS 6 Map searched in a table that contained correct address, I think Apple would need to pay Google to use their search algorithm, simply the best.

• Reply 168 of 277

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Wrong or not, Apple appear to have updated their database so that it now returns the same Manhattan address whether or not "Manhattan" is included in the search.

Tagging might be patented by Google.

• Reply 169 of 277
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    edde wrote: »
    muppetry wrote: »

Tagging might be patented by Google.

I don't see the connection.
  • Reply 170 of 277
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Were there ads in Google Maps for iOS? I did not see them.

You've never had your search result replaced with a pin to one of Google's sponsored links?  And then -- from the search field or from the Maps history -- been given directions to the address at the sponsored link?  Appalling.

• Reply 171 of 277
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    It's wrong because the given address was totally irrelevant. It's like you wanted to find a ghost and IOS 6 showed some living person's face.
    There should be no substitution for anything that did not exist. Now if IOS 6 Map searched in a table that contained correct address, I think Apple would need to pay Google to use their search algorithm, simply the best.

You have it wrong.

They entered 315 E 15th St. Apple gave you the location of the nearest 315 E 15th St - which happened to be in Brooklyn a few miles away.

Arguably, if you enter an address, which is more correct? To send people to an imaginary address or to send them to the correct address a few miles away? A very strong argument could be made that Apple is the one who handled it correctly.
  • Reply 172 of 277

So since when did Apple Insider practice censorship?

Since the day the forums were created. Maybe you should pay more attention to the words you say instead of just spewing crap in every direction.

Originally Posted by omgdracula View Post

"Apple did it with all their own hardware and software"

You do know that Samsung manufacturers a lot of the hardware in the iPhone right? Apple doesn't make its own hardware anymore because it was shit. 

See, I'm reading words here, but they make absolutely no sense at all.

• Reply 173 of 277

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Well, I'm just guessing about something complicated. Forget what I said. Anyway, I think there's no defense nor excuse for how IOS 6 Map returns an irrelevant address to a non existing address. Think of the problem as it is with a GPS. You type in a bad address, non existing, it tells you to drive and drive and drive to waste $5 of gas to some strange place instead of telling you "no, no such address." Luckily, it's just map browsing, but it could drive and drive and drive the mind of the user to Lahlahnutty Land. Whatever Google/Motorola did with a bad address to test out IOS 6 was relevant and professional. Apple should take note, thank them then fixes the problem.

• Reply 174 of 277
    gtr wrote: »
    The mere fact that you have, and continue to, post utterly disproves this point.
    However, you did take us to a nice fantasy-land for a moment, didn't you? ;-)

There were two posts in this thread alone of mine that were deleted.

That is no fantasy...there were other posts in other threads that were also deleted.

It happens...maybe not to you because you deify a corporation...but it happens.
  • Reply 175 of 277
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/152941/googles-ilost-motorola-ad-faked-an-address-to-lose-ios-6-maps/120#post_2200105"]
    If it were up to me, I'd instantly ban about 10-15% of all users here, maybe even more. This is not a democracy, and frankly, I'm not interested in what any Fandroids have to say. I come here to speak with fellow Apple users and anybody who doesn't fall into that category has no business being here, IMO. I've also mentioned this in the past, but if it were up to me (which it is not of course), I would only allow OS 9, OS X and iOS devices to be able to access an Apple centric site.

Apple users do not care about Fandroids, and they are unwanted. They are as welcome as a bunch of lepers.
    If it were up to you you'd murder about 90% of the world's population.

Thankfully very little is up to you.
  • Reply 176 of 277
    Since the day the forums were created. Maybe you should pay more attention to the words you say instead of just spewing crap in every direction.

See, I'm reading words here, but they make absolutely no sense at all.

It makes sense but it is misguided. He doesn't understand what it means to make hardware.
  • Reply 177 of 277
    success wrote: »
    Amazing, you guys finally understand.

It is sad and true that you'll never know what it's like to really enjoy a computer/mobile device unless you own an Apple product. 

I commend you for your honesty and maturity.

This has to be the most cult-like comment on this board...and you probably do not even realize how.
  • Reply 178 of 277

Quote:

If it were up to you you'd murder about 90% of the world's population.

Thankfully very little is up to you.

That is totally not true.

I'd estimate that the real figure is closer to 10%.

• Reply 179 of 277
    muppetry wrote: »
    Well, I'm just guessing about something complicated. Forget what I said. Anyway, I think there's no defense nor excuse for how IOS 6 Map returns an irrelevant address to a non existing address. Think of the problem as it is with a GPS. You type in a bad address, non existing, it tells you to drive and drive and drive to waste $5 of gas to some strange place instead of telling you "no, no such address." Luckily, it's just map browsing, but it could drive and drive and drive the mind of the user to Lahlahnutty Land. Whatever Google/Motorola did with a bad address to test out IOS 6 was relevant and professional. Apple should take note, thank them then fixes the problem.

It depends a bit on what you regard as an irrelevant address. Search algorithms are generally programmed to be helpful for malformed or incomplete queries, and so returning the nearest likely address is not necessarily a bad result.

However, that doesn't appear to have been the issue here; originally iOS maps seemed to return the "correct" address when "Manhattan" was included in the query, but not if it was omitted. Now it works either way. That rather kills the argument that iOS maps correctly identified the nearest instance of that address, since it clearly does recognize it as a valid address.
  • Reply 180 of 277

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

In 2011 Google claimed that made 4 times the revenue from iOS as they made from Android. The assumption would be that some significant portion of that comes from the youtube and maps apps. If it is all from ads, wow, Android is in more trouble than we thought.

Actually I remember that article.  I get where you're coming from now.  

My initial argument was a reaction to Quadra 610's post.  That post argued Google was worried about losing ground in the Navigation market  I do not follow that logic as it is way to easy for Google to release Google Maps for iPhone.  Plus, the overall reaction from the media has been somewhat pro-Google, whether justified or not.  It just didn't add up to me.

But your argument makes far greater sense.  Now that Apple has ditched YouTube and Maps,Google has lost a huge revenue stream they won't get back.  THAT could lead to desperation.

I'm sold.  

Oh, and thanks for making your case without labeling me or insulting my mother.  Many people around here don't seem to have your manners.