Apple iPad dominates tablet-based web browsing with 98% share, report says

Comments

• Reply 21 of 80
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Thats a thing that puzzle me. 30% of tablets are not ipads and more than 50% of phones are android and yet idevices wipes the floor with them on internet usage.

That makes me wondering what the heck are the people doing with all those android devices? The are lost in settings or what?
  • Reply 22 of 80

Frankly that is just stunning.  Really shines a light on the Kindle Fire sitting behind the Samsung and Moto tablets (which are really nowhere here).  Really stunning.

• Reply 23 of 80
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    What is probably not mentioned is that all Android users are able to change what a webiste sees when it logs onto it, via UA string, or even through available browsers. In which case Android tablets can appear as Internet Explorer or even Firefox, Chrome or whatever else third party browser there may be for a pc. The page views that are reported are probably those that are still sitting as store demos or are in stock configuration. So I wouldn't go hootin' and hollerin' just yet. 

So the average Joe android user told himself, hey lets go change settings so sites dont know what devices we are using? Really?
  • Reply 24 of 80

Hence the consumer satisfaction numbers for iPads being what they are. 

Stuff that isn't junk gets used and enjoyed. Consistently. 

• Reply 25 of 80

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

So the average Joe android user told himself, hey lets go change settings so sites dont know what devices we are using? Really?

iOS, Not Android, Users More Adventurous in Browser Choice

http://insights.chitika.com/2012/ios-android-browser-study/

• Reply 26 of 80

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Am I really the only one here capable of critical thinking?

While I believe that they observed 98%, but no one is asking, "98% OF WHAT?"

The company makes ads and appears to be tracking ad impressions. There is absolutely no indication that their sample is representative of the Internet using population as a whole and the results are therefore largely meaningless. Their customers might tend to be people who dislike Google ads for some reason and might therefore tend to be developers of apps that only run on iOS.

T

Well onswipe doesn't make stand alone apps and optimizes webpages for touch. There were 1200 different sites in the study. Also note the chart is misleading and not to scale. A quick glance would make you believe the Galaxy Tab would have 1/2 the impressions the iPad has when actually it has 1/64 the impressions the iPad has.

• Reply 27 of 80

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

more than likely, the average joe android user said, "i can go on the internet on this thing?"

• Reply 28 of 80
    I wonder if the Kindle Fire's silk browser was taken into consideration with those stats. To refresh those that don't recall, [URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Silk]Amazon Silk[/URL] is the default browser setting for the Kindle Fire. For each webpage, Silk decides which browser subsystems to run locally on the tablet and which to run remotely on the Amazon EC2 servers. It could be that analytics code is caches on the EC2 servers or not used at all when Silk is enabled. This would account for what I'd think are so Kindle Fires in customers hands and yet coming in 4th place.
  • Reply 29 of 80

Quote:

Originally Posted by iSteelers View Post

Whoa, step back a little bit.  Most people who buy non-iPads probably buy them as a device dedicated to one or two purposes, and can thus justify the limited functionality of their lower priced device.  That does not make them idiots.  Maybe they are strapped for cash, so what?  I see a lot of the "wealthier" iOS6 users on this site complaining about a free maps app like someone stole their car.  Suggest to them to buy one of the non-free navigation apps and see who's cheaper.  I have no problems with people debating the worth of one  product versus another, but don't insult people.  

You don't have to be wealthy to own Apple products. Apple's products have become so common place and you see all sorts of people using them now.

I also don't believe that anybody has the right to not be offended. It's not that Apple users are wealthy, I see it more as Android users being cheap and this in turn reflects upon and affects their whole eco-system.

• Reply 30 of 80

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

freebies for the employees.

As for the Kindle Fire user spending 79% more time? it's such a small sample size considering 0.11% of tablet web traffic is the Fire. You can't draw any conclusions about 7" tablets when the 10" tablet usage is 98+%

I am wondering if Kindle Fire spends 79% more time on a site because it takes longer to render image 

But seriously doesn't the Fire render pages on Amazon's servers and then sends the data to the Fire? Could something on the server end be doing this.

Or are Kindle users just slow readers?

• Reply 31 of 80
    I guess that should shut the mouths of those pesky fAndroids for a few minutes.
  • Reply 32 of 80
    jragosta wrote: »
    Am I really the only one here capable of critical thinking?
    While I believe that they observed 98%, but no one is asking, "98% OF WHAT?"
    The company makes ads and appears to be tracking ad impressions. There is absolutely no indication that their sample is representative of the Internet using population as a whole and the results are therefore largely meaningless. Their customers might tend to be people who dislike Google ads for some reason and might therefore tend to be developers of apps that only run on iOS.
    That said, it's hard to underestimate Apple's impact on the industry. I just came across a graphic that gives a great example of how Apple is changing the industry:
    (Hint: ask yourself who's missing)

Except that we see the same story in report after report after report. Is no one creating ads for Google Android? If so, what does that say about the Google Android platform?

Hey, I remember that image. Come a long way since 2008. He's missing on both platforms now. :lol:

In all fairness, only approximately 1.5% of all Android-based devices have upgraded to adopted Android 4.1 Jelly Bean (without Adobe Flash support). Interestingly, while Android 4.1 Jelly Bean has reached only approximately 1.5% adoption in three months, Apple iOS 6.0 reached approximately 25% adoption in three days.

Good to see Google Android finally catching up to features Apple iOS has had for five years and in another five years all users might have actually adopted the feature.
  • Reply 33 of 80
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    herbapou wrote: »

It's really absurd for anyone to assume a lot of Android users are changing their user agent strings. Desktop users can do that too, but most don't. I don't see enough reason to do that except for odd corner cases. I did it once, but the novelty and motivation wore off in a couple seconds.
  • Reply 34 of 80

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Onswipe Study

I'm looking at this chart, and I don't think it's accurate.

So here it is again, but this time the bars are correct. This is the size the chart has to be for the bar for the Asus tablet to have one pixel of height.

One. Pixel. Of. Height.

Click for larger, and then right-click and open the image in a new tab for full size. Why can't Huddler just let us put full size images inline?!

• Reply 35 of 80
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    jungmark wrote: »
    Well onswipe doesn't make stand alone apps and optimizes webpages for touch. There were 1200 different sites in the study.

That doesn't change anything. If the sample is biased, it doesn't matter how many sites they check. As I said, there's no way of knowing if it's representative or not.
    Except that we see the same story in report after report after report. Is no one creating ads for Google Android? If so, what does that say about the Google Android platform?

'Report after report' could also be biased to some extent. Furthermore, the other reports put Android at close to 10 times the numbers reported here (or more). That's too big a number to be random and further suggests that the data is biased in some way.
  • Reply 36 of 80
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

You don't have to be wealthy to own Apple products. Apple's products have become so common place and you see all sorts of people using them now.

I also don't believe that anybody has the right to not be offended. It's not that Apple users are wealthy, I see it more as Android users being cheap and this in turn reflects upon and affects their whole eco-system.

actually only rich people can afford to buy gadgets that don't get used. ;-)

• Reply 37 of 80

In the future some of it could be attributed to

https://adblockplus.org/en/android-about

I certainly would install it on an Android device, just to lessen my mobile data usage and to prevent tracking (which Onswipe seems to use to get those numbers) like Adblock does for me in Firefox on my desktop.

• Reply 38 of 80
    I`m simply not buying this study.

Android has at least 66% of smartphone marketshare.

No way it`s only 22% of mobile web traffic.

I`m also not buying the stats above on the Nexus 7 as it`s the most popular usable Android tablet on the market to be holding down .06% of web hits.

And before the token cries of "Fanboy bias" begin I`m posting this on a Mac and use an iPhone.
  • Reply 39 of 80

If you want to get analytical about it consider the following:

Android users are likely to fit into one of four categories:

Tech heads who want to be able to customise things

Fanboys/apple haters (a large portion of these  of these may also be in the above category) 

People who genuinely prefer the Android experience who are not in categories 1 or 2 

People who just want a kindle to read books

People who are largely motivated by price for whom the android experience is the best smartphone experience they can afford.

A fair few of the first category may have blocked the ad analytics (including those who overlap with the second category)

Of the last category most of these people will probably not only try and skimp on upfront costs but will probably also live with lower download limits and lower online spend. These people because they don't have so much money have to make lots of compromises. As a result these people will not do anywhere near as much web browsing as those who can afford to do so. It is clear that a large proportion of android users fit this group

As a result web browsing statistics and online purchase conversion rates will be lower for this last group. 

When you look at it it is not surprising that apple dominates those who can afford to buy the best devices, browse the most and buy more!

• Reply 40 of 80

Originally Posted by kingsmuse View Post

I`m simply not buying this study.

Android has at least 66% of smartphone marketshare.

No way it`s only 22% of mobile web traffic.

When the iPad has this much of the tablet marketshare (as shown by other studies), it's not at all unreasonable to think that the iPhone commands a similar share of smartphones.

And before the token cries of "Fanboy bias" begin I`m posting this on a Mac and use an iPhone.

We'd take you far more seriously if you just don't say that at all.