Apple CEO Tim Cook apologizes to customers for Maps in iOS 6

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Friday published an open letter to customers on behalf of CEO Tim Cook, who formally apologized for Apple's new Maps in iOS 6 and "the frustration this has caused our customers."

Cook vowed that his company is "doing everything we can to make Maps better." In the meantime, he said, users can download third-party mapping tools from the App Store such as Bing, MapQuest or Waze, or use Web-based options like Google Maps or Nokia's product.

The comments from Cook also corroborate a recent report that indicated Apple's switch to its own mapping solution in iOS 6 was driven primarily by the company's interest in providing turn-by-turn directions. Under its previous agreement with Google Maps, voice-guided navigation was not available in the iOS Maps application.

"We launched Maps initially with the first version of iOS," Cook wrote. "As time progressed, we wanted to provide our customers with even better Maps including features such as turn-by-turn directions, voice integration, Flyover and vector-based maps. In order to do this, we had to create a new version of Maps from the ground up."

iOS Maps
3D rendering issues in Apple's Maps app.

Upon its debut with iOS 6, Apple's new Maps application was met with a flood of criticism from users who complained of incorrect positioning data, poor routing and Flyover rendering issues. Apple's new mapping solution is generally seen as inferior to the product it replaced, which was powered by Google Maps.

Friday's letter by Cook is the second time Apple has commented publicly on the Maps controversy. The company first issued a statement soon after the release of iOS 6 to say it was "working hard" to fix the Maps application, and that the company appreciates customer feedback.

Incomplete Data
Google Maps' building data (left) versus same view on Apple's Maps (right).

Apple's mapping team was said to be "under lockdown," attempting to quickly fix some of the larger issues with iOS 6 Maps. And the company was also reported to have been luring ex-Google Maps engineers to work on its new application. Apple also began advertising for new positions available for mapping developers on its website.

One of the most-cited features missed by users with iOS 6 Maps is Google's Street View functionality. That feature is reportedly coming to the Web-based version of Google Maps within two weeks.

Cook's full letter is included below:
To our customers,

At Apple, we strive to make world-class products that deliver the best experience possible to our customers. With the launch of our new Maps last week, we fell short on this commitment. We are extremely sorry for the frustration this has caused our customers and we are doing everything we can to make Maps better.

We launched Maps initially with the first version of iOS. As time progressed, we wanted to provide our customers with even better Maps including features such as turn-by-turn directions, voice integration, Flyover and vector-based maps. In order to do this, we had to create a new version of Maps from the ground up.

There are already more than 100 million iOS devices using the new Apple Maps, with more and more joining us every day. In just over a week, iOS users with the new Maps have already searched for nearly half a billion locations. The more our customers use our Maps the better it will get and we greatly appreciate all of the feedback we have received from you.

While we're improving Maps, you can try alternatives by downloading map apps from the App Store like Bing, MapQuest and Waze, or use Google or Nokia maps by going to their websites and creating an icon on your home screen to their web app.

Everything we do at Apple is aimed at making our products the best in the world. We know that you expect that from us, and we will keep working non-stop until Maps lives up to the same incredibly high standard.

Tim Cook
Apple's CEO

Comments

• Reply 1 of 381
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

Oh man, in for an epic thread.

Tallest Skil, why don't you have a seat over there image

• Reply 2 of 381
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member
    lol!

Just let us download the fully working version of Google Maps that we had from iOS 5....
  • Reply 3 of 381

Tim Cook acted like a ceo should, Apple made a mistake, they admitted it, they are trying to fix the problem, it will get better, it will take time. Lets all move on, google maps will be a app in the app store soon. Competition=Cunsumer wins. 

So whats the next drama in the tech world?

Weve had:

google policy change is killing babies

Twitter is killing free speech 

Microsfot is dead

Apple maps is worst than satan

Any guesses?

• Reply 4 of 381
    Classy. But oh so sad for Google as most iOS users will still be gone forever. I am happy with Apple's maps, and even happier that they will get better over time.
  • Reply 5 of 381

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

While we're improving Maps, you can try alternatives by downloading map apps from the App Store like Bing, MapQuest and Waze, or use Google or Nokia maps by going to their websites and creating an icon on your home screen to their web app.

It's this sentence here why the maps thing isn't a big deal to me

• Reply 6 of 381

"The more our customers use our Maps the better it will get"

I don't understand. If we keep using Maps, the image on the right will gradually become the image on the left? How is that possible?

• Reply 7 of 381
    Classy. They were really caught in a no-win situation - the needed their own maps solution in the market, but to make it world-class, it needed users, which they can't get until they launch it, but launching it means replacing an existing excellent solution. . .around and around.
  • Reply 8 of 381

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoXoM View Post

lol!

Just let us download the fully working version of Google Maps that we had from iOS 5....

Exactly. That would be the end of story while Apple works on improving its own offering. Let the customer choose.

Google will demand a stiff payment, but that's peanuts compared to what Apple has in the bank. The goodwill it will generate will be more than worth it.

As an aside, so much for all the pooh-poohing apologists on this Forum. Man up, and let's see some mea culpa, guys -- Apple's CEO agrees with us! image

• Reply 9 of 381

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Exactly. That would be the end of story while Apple works on improving its own offering. Let the customer choose.

Google will demand a stiff payment, but that's peanuts compared to what Apple has in the bank. The goodwill it will generate will be more than worth it.

As an aside, so much for all the pooh-poohing apologists on this Forum. Man up, and let's see some mea culpa, guys -- Apple's CEO agrees with us! image

For what? Google has few options.

They can charge for their app and pay Apple 30%, they can make it free, they can decide to not make an app.

In any case, Google lost a huge chunk from their mobile ad revenue. It's up to them to loose dozens of millions of iOS users and their position or to lose all of them. Apple played very well.

• Reply 10 of 381
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

Tim Cook in sorrier than Tallest Skil and Jaragosta, shock.

Wont be long now til someone calls him a Android troll.

• Reply 11 of 381

As an aside, so much for all the pooh-poohing apologists on this Forum. Man up, and let's see some mea culpa, guys -- Apple's CEO agrees with us! :lol:

The only way you will get mea culpa is if Tim decides to go back to Google and scraps Apple Maps altogether. Otherwise those of us who support Apple maps will continue to do so as it gets better.

For those of you screaming to have the Google maps back on your iPhone, I highly doubt they will give you turn by turn directions. So in actuality you are asking for a hampered solution. But hey don't let logic step in your way.
  • Reply 12 of 381
    Tim, sir, really no need for an apology. I believe the customers who are happy with the new Map(p)s vastly outnumber the people who are discontent. Who, by the way, can get around any shortcomings, like you point out yourself.
  • Reply 13 of 381
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

The only way you will get mea culpa is if Tim decides to go back to Google and scraps Apple Maps altogether. Otherwise those of us who support Apple maps will continue to do so as it gets better.

For those of you screaming to have the Google maps back on your iPhone, I highly doubt they will give you turn by turn directions. So in actuality you are asking for a hampered solution. But hey don't let logic step in your way.

That's almost calling Tim an Android troll. 

He did suggest using other maps, remember. He did in fact name the apps. He mentioned the google web app.

• Reply 14 of 381
    For what? Google has few options.

They can charge for their app and pay Apple 30%, they can make it free, they can decide to not make an app.

In any case, Google lost a huge chunk from their mobile ad revenue. It's up to them to loose dozens of millions of iOS users and their position or to lose all of them. Apple played very well.

Yes, very well stated. I forgot about the 30%. Apple has Google in a corner, that's for sure.
  • Reply 15 of 381

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Tim, sir, really no need for an apology. I believe the customers who are happy with the new Map(p)s vastly outnumber the people who are discontent. Who, by the way, can get around any shortcomings, like you point out yourself.

Apple fanboys are so pathetic. So you tell the CEO of a company to not apologize for something that a number of people especially outside the U.S are having trouble with. sad. I love Apple but not like you love them. 

• Reply 16 of 381
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    philboogie wrote: »

That's my view. I STILL haven't seen any evidence that it's any worse than the other solutions out there. A few anecdotal reports (including those fabricated by Google) are not valid evidence.
  • Reply 17 of 381
    It's about time. Apple maps just plain sucks. I've been an apple fan for a long time and enjoy using their desktop os and laptops, but their mobile offerings are just not comparable to android powered devices. Worst part is that they choose to be shitty because they're pissed at Google.
  • Reply 18 of 381
    asdasd wrote: »
    That's almost calling Tim an Android troll. 

He did suggest using other maps, remember. He did in fact name the apps.

You misread my statement. Most tech pundits and blog whiners are complaining that Google maps is gone and they don't have the choice to bring it back.

Yes Tim did suggest other alternatives, and that's because Google will probably not be back.
  • Reply 19 of 381
    msfmsf Posts: 20member
    I doubt Google will lose that much over time. They will build a kick-ass Maps apps that many users will utilize regardless of the state of Apple maps.
  • Reply 20 of 381
    The new Maps app is the first turn-by-turn voice assisted navigation solution I've used. I never wanted another piece of hardware or another interface in my car (Garmin, Tom-Tom...). LOVE having this on my iPhone, jamming to music, interrupted by directions only when I need them. It's great. Get a better data set and, you know... solved.