Chinese court rules Apple must pay over $82K to encyclopedia publisher over App Store piracy

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    davegee wrote: »
    2 billion ... Sure ... But pound-for-pound we're (the US) still #1 ... /ducks

Unfortunately, that "we're #1" isn't supported by the evidence.

We're #1 in three things:
    1. Number of incarcerated adults per capita
    2. Number of people who believe angels are real (and who don't believe in evolution)
    3. Defense spending - where we outspend most of the rest of the world put together

We really need to stop the jingoistic nonsense.
  • Reply 22 of 50
    matrix07 wrote: »
    Why should they know about it? They only approve apps that don't violate their API and rules. It has nothing to do with checking for piracy.
    The Chinese court is very strange. This case should be against the developers, not Apple.

Under US law, Apple would not be liable until they were given reasonable notification that the apps contained copyrighted material. However, copyright law varies all over the world. I have no idea what Chinese copyright law says. Perhaps their law does make the reseller liable even when the reseller doesn't know that it's plagiarized material. Unless you know Chinese copyright law, you're not really in a position to comment on whether this decision is fair or not.
  • Reply 23 of 50

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

He means we're fat.

Why? It's about the only thing that can actually make us better.

• Reply 24 of 50
    He means we're fat.

I missed that. Yeah, that's another thing we're near the top at.
    Why? It's about the only thing that can actually make us better.

No, it's not. You get better by admitting that you're not perfect and making an effort to improve.

All of this "we're #1" crap simply causes people to bury their heads in the sand.
  • Reply 25 of 50

No, it's not. You get better by admitting that you're not perfect and making an effort to improve.

All of this "we're #1" crap simply causes people to bury their heads in the sand.

I see it more as, "if we're to live up to this reputation of ours, we have to be proud of the opportunities afforded to us by the country we're in and work to live up to its name".

• Reply 26 of 50
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

I apologize if this statement hurts your feelings, but sir, you're stupid, or ignorant.

China is a country with laws, like America. Like America, it might sometimes disregard them (hey, remember attacking Irak guys, which qualifies as an unilateral aggression in terms of international law? OK, now that the "terrorist" part is eliminated... let's move along).

Apple has a Store. It sells stuff, and that stuff happened to be stolen. Apple is liable for that like anyone else would be. Being Apple doesn't mean "hey, we can ignore the law". 

If you sell stolen goods, you're liable. If you keep selling them once you're aware they're stolen, you are even a criminal, but the mere act of selling stolen goods makes you liable.

Apple, however, can and should sue the hell out of the persons who broke the law in the first place, but your comment was outrageous.

Not only are you a bad speller you have no grasp of history.  You are aware both actions in Iraq were taken as part of UN Sanctions and given a green light to proceed by the UN Security Council.  Revisionist history has no place anywhere.  

And given these egregious lapses in basics, coupled with an inability to differentiate between stolen goods and counterfeit goods, I have a significant doubt in your grasp of European and Chinese law.  No doubt about your lack of grasp on US law as far as liability for trafficking in counterfeit goods.  Time to quit while you are wwwwaaaayyyy behind.

• Reply 27 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

Not only are you a bad speller you have no grasp of history.  You are aware both actions in Iraq were taken as part of UN Sanctions and given a green light to proceed by the UN Security Council.  Revisionist history has no place anywhere.  

And given these egregious lapses in basics, coupled with an inability to differentiate between stolen goods and counterfeit goods, I have a significant doubt in your grasp of European and Chinese law.  No doubt about your lack of grasp on US law as far as liability for trafficking in counterfeit goods.  Time to quit while you are wwwwaaaayyyy behind.

Yes sure. That's why Bush cannot come into Europe anymore, because the US were taking their actions as " part of UN Sanctions". You're brilliant, my friend.

Also, Kofi Annan, surely another guy who's way behind and has no grasp of history, said that:  "From our point of view and the UN Charter point of view, it [the war] was illegal."

About the difference between stolen and counterfeited, you might want to discuss the finer points of this with the RIAA, who considers them equivalent, as far as I can tell from their actions over the last 5 years. Surely, they're intelligent enough for your powerful mind to consider their words.

• Reply 28 of 50
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member

Quote:

2. Number of people who believe angels are real (and who don't believe in evolution)

3. Defense spending - where we outspend most of the rest of the world put together

And you need to stop looking for incendiary examples.  

The US is still the #1 producer of manufactured goods in the world.  Despite lamentations that all the production has gone overseas. 

The US is still #1 in food production.

We can go on for days about this and find lots of counterexamples either way.

• Reply 29 of 50

Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Yes sure. That's why Bush cannot come into Europe anymore, because the US were taking their actions as " part of UN Sanctions". You're brilliant, my friend.

I'm sure he can't. 

Also, keep politics out of this.

• Reply 30 of 50

China doesn't have a court.  What they have is the NDE.  National Department of Extortionists.  You do business with the commies, you need to be prepared to play the commies' games.

• Reply 31 of 50
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    jragosta wrote: »

jingoistic nonsense? not from me... Tisk tisk, I thought the 'pound for pound' would be more than enough to telegraph what was hinting that we are still #1 at...

BELT SIZE!
  • Reply 32 of 50
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    He means we're fat.

I'm glad my comment wasn't lost on everyone! :D
  • Reply 33 of 50
    davegee wrote: »
    jingoistic nonsense? not from me... Tisk tisk, I thought the 'pound for pound' would be more than enough to telegraph what was hinting that we are still #1 at...
    BELT SIZE!

Sorry - I've been getting too many Facebook posts from right wing lunatics that sounded just like your post and missed your humor.
  • Reply 34 of 50
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

How many seconds of Apple's income is that?

Doesnt matter.

A penalty is still a penalty.

Another tick mark for Apple.

• Reply 35 of 50

Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Doesnt matter.

A penalty is still a penalty.

Yeah, we're all frigging doomed over here, aren't we? 

Give it up.

• Reply 36 of 50
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    galbi wrote: »

And when all these 'ticks' are collected, what then?
  • Reply 37 of 50
    lerxtlerxt Posts: 186member
    As someone who lives in ( the free part ) of China,I can assure you all that it does have laws, but they are usually ignored by the police and judiciary if money passes hands or it makes Chinese feel like others think they are rich.
    Oh, and the Iraq war? It was illegal and, no, resolution 1441 did NOT authorize and invasion of Iraq.
  • Reply 38 of 50
    ltmp wrote: »
    I removed this post because I had written something which, upon reflection, turned out to be grossly stupid.
    Are you sure you're in the right place? Around here you are supposed to make grossly stupid comments...and then zealously defend them in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.
  • Reply 39 of 50

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

And when all these 'ticks' are collected, what then?

We finally buy some K9-Advantix and spray the forum. 

• Reply 40 of 50
    middleguy wrote: »
    The $60 million settlement was a huge mistake of Apple. Apple could negotiate with terrorists but shouldn't have negotiated about terrorism ever. Apple emboldened more terrorists to try the same thing.

Couldn't have put it better. Dance with the devil... And he'll break your legs.