Apple CEO Tim Cook apologizes to customers for Maps in iOS 6

Comments

• Reply 181 of 381

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I think he did... someone dumped 666,000 shares of AAPL at open... now @Arthur123 will have lots of time to bitch and moan about Apple!I 

I wish I had 25 percent of 666,000 shares of AAPL. No I am a small time investor with only several thousand shares.

I have no plans to jump ship. However, is one of those problems that did not have to happen in the first place.

Apple got a little sloppy and it might burn us for a while.  

The Q4 numbers might be a disappointment. Well see.............. 

• Reply 182 of 381

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

That only tells me you haven't used it, otherwise you would know, because the experiences that I report are common to everyone using it. Do you want me to provide you with a very common use case where Safari fails so you can verify it for yourself and stop calling an anecdote or will you admit you're lying and not reply to my post out of shame?

The websites *I* visit work just fine.  So I won't be encountering your problems.   *shrugs*

• Reply 183 of 381

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

LOL thanks for the anecdote. 

Safari performs brilliantly, actually. So there's *my* anecdote. 

Yeah, not sure what version of Safari he's running, but it works great for me.

• Reply 184 of 381

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }
    I have not had a single problem on several trips from 5 minutes to 1 hour in and around Philadelphia.

The new maps are beautiful and will get better and better.

Google is off my iPhone. That's almost as beautiful.

Thanks, Tim.

How did it handle the "crossovers" in turn-by-turn?

• Reply 185 of 381
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    We aren't used to an Apple CEO behaving like the CEO of some Android OEM or Wintel junk-box maker. 

Given Apple's sheer product strength, this is just a blip on their radar screen. It isn't catastrophic. But it is a little disappointing. 

Blips don't require a CEO full page apology.
    This is more like a fail of epic proportions or "epic fail" if you'd prefer. .
  • Reply 186 of 381

That only tells me you haven't used it, otherwise you would know, because the experiences that I report are common to everyone using it. Do you want me to provide you with a very common use case where Safari fails so you can verify it for yourself and stop calling an anecdote or will you admit you're lying and not reply to my post out of shame?

Just stop. You're already so deep into that hole you dug before; why not just head back there and keep digging instead of starting a new one? 

Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Blips don't require a CEO full page apology.

And trolls don't need have arguments based in logic or fact to use the word "require" as though they know anything. image

• Reply 187 of 381

Quote:

Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

Quite surprised and impressed that Cook offered such a full apology, and even recommended rival products.

I guess Apple has to look at the issue pragmatically. They had to release Maps at some point to cut their dependency on Google, but the product could never improve until it was released and corrections were crowdsourced. Hence, release it and collect data from those persevering, whilst acknowledging that some may not be satisfied and pointing them humbly to competing products. Makes sense.

Best post to date in all these map threads!  Clear and concise!

• Reply 188 of 381

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

For what? Google has few options.

They can charge for their app and pay Apple 30%, they can make it free, they can decide to not make an app.

In any case, Google lost a huge chunk from their mobile ad revenue. It's up to them to loose dozens of millions of iOS users and their position or to lose all of them. Apple played very well.

That's why their stock is at an all time high while Apple's can't break $700. Apple is arrogant they think they are the best and can do better than the rest..despite all their billions they cannot in maps like in the OS where the other company  dominates simply because they have a better product....

• Reply 189 of 381
    [Don't you think that would have been useful information to have included in all your posts complaining about iOS 6 maps?  You seem to regard yourself as a perfectionist and hold everyone to your standard -- how could you have overlooked this obvious potential problem or failed to mention it?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but copy-pasting the address directly from a dropped pin didn't work before (now it does, though it drops another pin in a completely wrong place, so I assume they just added the street to the database without knowing its exact location despite it being on their own map).
  • Reply 190 of 381

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthur123 View Post

By the way, Allenbf. here is your first sentence: "How can he get the Google app available now?"  

Is this grammatically correct English?

Everybody is a "former" employee after they leave firm "A" to go work for firm "B". 

Most users want a simple application which takes the to what they want to do.

If using Safari gets you Google Maps, then Apple should create a simple automation app which does that function in one step and call it Google Maps or something. 

Does using your browser limit what Google can do with branding or data harvesting?

Does this allow Apple to control its destiny?

No matter what you or anybody tell me, Apple should not have released their mapping program without fixing all these image issues. It was not ready for public use. 

In light of that video I saw I don't think Steve Jobs would have released the Apple Maps app in its current poor state.

The situation is also affecting the stock price. I know of several people who have put off upgrading to the new phone in spite of the Safari solution you mentioned. 

Fine, fine.  If you don't want it, don't use it.  Sell your phone, tell your friends to buy Android, or at least tell them not to upgrade to iOS 6 (the iPhone 5 upgrade isn't even relevant, since it's the iOS that contains Maps, NOT the phone).  

You may know a few ppl who put off uprading.  That's their choice.  5 million + haven't.  And the Apple store still says "Shipping in 3-4 weeks"

Last, my grammar was correct, I only missed the "".  Because you said "Tim should make the map available now" and I replied "How can he get it available now?"  It should have read How can he "get it available now?"  So you get 1/2 point for that.

• Reply 191 of 381
    haar wrote: »
    why?... the maps are not that bad... please just let this be a pr stunt...
    so the "map" data (not the Satellite data/pictures) is so bad that Apple has to Apologize?...

If you go back and read it closely you'll notice he never appologizes for Maps being bad. Only for falling short of expectations. Not the same. Especially when those expectations were that iOS Maps would be on par with services that are at least 12 years old (and were ot perfect in the first public release either). To point this out would be read as insulting customers for having stupid expectations. And Samsung is the company that insults folks, not Apple.
  • Reply 192 of 381
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthur123 View Post

Apple got a little sloppy and it might burn us for a while.  

The Q4 numbers might be a disappointment. Well see.............. 

Mostly it is temporary sensationalism. You know, like the other so called Android talking points.

Don't buy an iPhone. It has a walled garden. 

Don't buy an iPhone. It has a small screen.

Don't buy an iPhone it doesn't have a memory card slot.

Don't buy an iPhone. It doesn't have a USB port.

etc, etc.

All completely useless arguments which had no effect on iPhone sales.

So just add another talking point. Don't buy an iPhone. The Maps app will get you lost.

With Christmas season coming, the Map-gate issue will fade into irrelevance for common users. Only the hard core fanatics on both sides will continue to debate but the sales numbers will likely be through the roof anyway.

• Reply 193 of 381
    Speak for yourself, apologist! This is the BIGGEST mistake Apple has made since the release of the iPhone. They put their hated of Google AHEAD of its userbase. An apology was VERY appropriate in this situation.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Tim, sir, really no need for an apology. I believe the customers who are happy with the new Map(p)s vastly outnumber the people who are discontent. Who, by the way, can get around any shortcomings, like you point out yourself.
  • Reply 194 of 381

Originally Posted by Waverunnr View Post

This is the BIGGEST mistake Apple has made since the release of the iPhone. They put their hated of Google AHEAD of its userbase.

Uh… huh… 

• Reply 195 of 381
    Just stop. You're already so deep into that hole you dug before; why not just head back there and keep digging instead of starting a new one? 

I must have missed something. What hole are we talking about? And why would you claim I'm deep in whatever it is rather than waiting until I recognize it myself? Unlike you I don't have a problem admitting that I'm wrong when I actually AM wrong and it is fully demonstrated to me, though I honestly don't know what you're talking about.
  • Reply 196 of 381
    haha wow. Still defending maps, huh? After the CEO himself admitted it was a failure? LOL. You apologists crack me up! You live in your own weird little bubble.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

I suppose that is a tad shorter than an earlier draft...

• Reply 197 of 381

The courtesy of an apology is a good touch given that some people got upset. For myself, I suppose I find Steetview more useful than Turn by Turn, but that said, I am totally on board with Apples new product. I prefer the look of it already, have noticed the speed, added functions, etc and look forward to regular improvements and updates. It was really an untenable situation for them. This had to be done and some crowd sourced improvements is a major way that this stuff gets better and better.

Would Apple ever launch their own street view initiative? .... curious about that, and it IS quite useful and at times, entertaining. Big job though.

• Reply 198 of 381

I must have missed something. What hole are we talking about? And why would you claim I'm deep in whatever it is rather than waiting until I recognize it myself? Unlike you I don't have a problem admitting that I'm wrong when I actually AM wrong and it is fully demonstrated to me, though I honestly don't know what you're talking about.

What you're saying about Safari has as much significance as you as a single user do. Nothing more. Safari is not bad because you have problems with it. 

• Reply 199 of 381

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waverunnr View Post

Speak for yourself, apologist! This is the BIGGEST mistake Apple has made since the release of the iPhone. They put their hated of Google AHEAD of its userbase. An apology was VERY appropriate in this situation.

So...you're saying this is about hatred, not about $$ and user experience, then?  It's not about controlling your own product, your own destiny?

Alrighty, then.  

• Reply 200 of 381
    That's all you got? It's common knowledge that Apple had a year left on its contract with Google. Er go, they could have (SHOULD HAVE) worked on Maps for another year. The fact that they put it out early shows that iOS6 was more about Apple than its users. If I'm wrong, then enlighten us as to why. It's not like I'm the only one that thinks this...

http://www.imore.com/yes-ios-6-more-about-apple-new-user-features-thats-okay

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Uh… huh…