NYPD registering devices at Apple stores on iPhone 5 launch day

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    Samsung can't stand seeing these lines. 

They hope to put an end to these long lines by bringing future patent suits against Apple.
  • Reply 22 of 24
    mchance27 wrote: »
    Since when does the NYPD work for a private company? I certainly don't see them outside the Samsung store registering THEIR phones.

Who would steal a Samsung phone? :o)
  • Reply 23 of 24

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Most of them, but NYC ought not be proud of Commissioner Ray Kelly, who has no respect for the Constitution or Civil Rights.

And, given this, in particularly recent, disregard for the law on the part of the NYPD, and the many illegal operations they have engaged in in recent years, it's quite probable that this operation does have an ulterior motive. And before anyone invokes 9/11 as a defense, Stop and Frisk, otherwise known as being detained for Walking While Black, which is going to cost the tax payers of NYC millions in legal settlements and lawsuits, has nothing to do with anything related to 9/11. Nor do most of the other Civil Rights violations by the NYPD in recent years.

Hear Hear!

• Reply 24 of 24
    If Apple, Verizon, AT&T, et al., registered the phones they sold, and then refused to reactivate them for anyone else if the phone was reported stolen, the value of phones to the thief, iOS or Android, would drop to zero. Oh, wait, they DO register the phones. So?
    For everyone else, have your serial number handy for the police report. The thieves are getting smarter. My daughter's iPhone was stolen, she borrowed someone else's phone to call me, and by the time I could get logged into her phone, location services was already turned off. I was able to lock it, though, so all they could do with it is wipe and reformat.