Apple CEO Tim Cook apologizes to customers for Maps in iOS 6

Comments

• Reply 201 of 381
    What you're saying about Safari has as much significance as you as a single user do. Nothing more. Safari is not bad because you have problems with it. 

I didn't say I was the only one with problems, quite the opposite, I even offered to demonstrate how common those problems are to the people who don't regularly use Safari.
  • Reply 202 of 381

Originally Posted by Waverunnr View Post

Er go, they could have (SHOULD HAVE) worked on Maps for another year.

Uh… huh… 

The fact that they put it out early…

Stop. Proof?

• Reply 203 of 381
    arthur123 wrote: »
    So Jeff what are you saying. Tim Cook wants the Apple iphone users to be the beta testers for this not ready for prime time mapping program?

Every day one product from any company is the same way.

If that is the case they should have included it as a bonus program as part of OS6 and still given users full access to Google maps.

Then most folks would use Google and they would have to pay Google for that access.
    As an Apple stock holder his apology means nothing. Its offering me a drink with an empty glass.
    If he truly wants people to move forward he needs to bring back the Google App period end of story.

Sell your stock and go buy Google if it upsets you that much.

I'm an Apple stock holder too. Apple product user as well. And I have no problem with this and haven't for many years. So at the least stop dropping the stock holder thing in there as if it gives you more right to an opinion or makes yours mean more. It doesn't.
  • Reply 204 of 381

Tim Cook, I don't believe you give a fig about providing me with with the best customer experience possible. For example, both Bing and Google can provide crisp and detailed satellite maps for the areas I need. The satellite maps from Apple are shockingly bad - absolutely terrible. Is Apple too greedy to pay for decent satellite images, or too incompetent to implement them?

• Reply 205 of 381
    Let's look at the facts: Apple had a year left on their contract with Google. Therefore, they were under no time pressure to get Maps out the door by iOS6. Yet despite Maps not being ready, they deployed it anyway, causing a huge customer backlash which led to the CEO publishing an apology. I'm not the only person that believes Apple did this to get Google out of its OS...

http://www.imore.com/yes-ios-6-more-about-apple-new-user-features-thats-okay

Quote:
    Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

So...you're saying this is about hatred, not about $$ and user experience, then?  It's not about controlling your own product, your own destiny?

Alrighty, then.  

• Reply 206 of 381
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
  • Reply 207 of 381

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Then most folks would use Google and they would have to pay Google for that access.

I'm an Apple stock holder too. Apple product user as well. And I have no problem with this and haven't for many years. So at the least stop dropping the stock holder thing in there as if it gives you more right to an opinion or makes yours mean more. It doesn't.

Bingo.  If anything, look at the long term growth Apple can/will have, using their own maps and controlling the experience instead of giving that to Google, a competitor.

• Reply 208 of 381
    That Day One comment is a bunch of apologist BS. If the original iPhone was this bad it never would have taken off. So get your head out of the clouds.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

• Reply 209 of 381
    asdasd wrote: »
    The best solution for me would be a choice in the maps app of the background data, like safari offers in search.

Again, their data wouldnt improve because folks would use it.
    They would have to pay for the access whether used or not to the other folks.
    Variations in the data would make turn by turn etc difficult if not impossible.

And with the apps being in the app store, as Tim pointed out. It's really not needed for Apple to work those deals
  • Reply 210 of 381

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Hmm....not sure what I think about this. Cook apologizing and telling users to use a competitors product is a bit embarrassing.

Once you start apologizing where does it stop? Already there's clowns out there asking when Apple is going to apologize for "scuff gate" and ear pods that don't fit their ears. This is one of the curses of being at the top (in terms of market cap and profits). Everyone and their mother wants to bring you down. And every mistake or imperfection gets blown up like crazy.

I read dozens of iPhone 5 reviews, some prior to launch and most after launch, and there was one, maybe two at most, that mentioned anything about a scuffed phone. Yet we have scuff gate and people wanting Cook to apologize for it. I'm seeing complaints that the phone is too thin and light and thus feels cheap. Yet earlier this year when the new iPad came out people bitched because it was ever so slightly thicker and heavier. Now they're bitching that the iPhone is too light. No matter what Apple does these days someone will complain about it.

I disagree, Apple also apologized for Antennae Gate....has the Antennae gotten worse or better since then??? There's certain things that you don't have to apologize for because they are business decisions and there is technically nothing "wrong" with the product, people are just complaining about it for whatever reasons they have. Example: There is nothing wrong with the iPad 3 just because it's heavier, some people just don't like it. That is not the case with Maps, there are some things that are wrong about it, and I think Tim Cook absolutely did the best thing possible by getting in front of it. I personally think that this maps thing is blown way out of proportion and like you, I believe it's because people are just looking for something to complain about when it comes to Apple. But that doesn't mean that Apple shouldn't admit when it has issues with a product, because Apple has it's own stadards to think about.

• Reply 211 of 381
    waverunnr wrote: »
    Er go, they could have (SHOULD HAVE) worked on Maps for another year.

Uh… huh… 

You're not scoring any points here, quite the opposite.

The fact that they put it out early…

Stop. Proof?

Here's your proof. Can you contest it?
  • Reply 212 of 381
    Apologists: Their point still stands. Maps is still a mess. You know it. I know it. And the CEO of Apple knows it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

Trolls...please refer to this article before commenting.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/09/27/googles-ilost-motorola-ad-faked-an-address-to-lose-ios-6-maps

• Reply 213 of 381

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

WTF are you doing, Tim?

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

At Apple, we strive to make world-class products that deliver the best experience possible to our customers. With the launch of our new Maps last week, we fell short on this commitment. We are extremely sorry for the frustration this has caused our customers and we are doing everything we can to make Maps better.

We launched Maps initially with the first version of iOS. As time progressed, we wanted to provide our customers with even better Maps including features such as turn-by-turn directions, voice integration, Flyover and vector-based maps. In order to do this, we had to create a new version of Maps from the ground up.

There are already more than 100 million iOS devices using the new Apple Maps, with more and more joining us every day. In just over a week, iOS users with the new Maps have already searched for nearly half a billion locations. The more our customers use our Maps the better it will get and we greatly appreciate all of the feedback we have received from you.

While we're improving Maps, you can try alternatives by downloading map apps from the App Store like Bing, MapQuest and Waze, or use Google or Nokia maps by going to their websites and creating an icon on your home screen to their web app.

Everything we do at Apple is aimed at making our products the best in the world. We know that you expect that from us, and we will keep working non-stop until Maps lives up to the same incredibly high standard.

Tim Cook

Apple's CEO

Blah blah blah blah, meaningless corporate jibber-jabber which denigrates your company. By giving the "problem" *even more* attention, you've made an even larger issue out of it. Those who didn't really notice or care will now *really* apply the microscope. The issue was already resolving itself and Cook turns into a pu**y.

I hope this is the last time I get to read such idiocy from Apple's CEO. 

@Quadra 610 What is it that has you so upset?  Your comments, here, are usually well reasoned and constructive... what is so different about this issue.

IMO, Tim watched the situation unfold, then decided that action was necessary -- after waiting an appropriate amount of time.  It was certainly not a knee-jerk reaction!  I think Tim's letter apologizes for the inconvenience -- but not for the decision to re-invent maps.  There are implementation problems and these are being addressed at all levels from CEO on down!

What would you do differently?

• Reply 214 of 381

It's like I said last week, just use something else if Apple maps is not up to par yet for your location.

It's pretty obvious why Apple had to ditch Google maps, because of the voice navigation issue.

As far as I'm concerned, this whole thing is now a non-issue. Apple maps has a far better engine than Google maps ever had on iOS, and Apple maps will only improve over time. 

I'd love to see some Android companies apologizing to their customers for a whole number of issues, including malware/viruses, piss poor hardware, phones that never get updates, phones that get late updates, apologizing for lag, apologizing for butt ugly designs, and apologizing for the fragmented hell known as the Android eco-system.

If somebody is still whining about Apple maps and you are the kind of unreasonable person that refuses to listen to logic, then make a stand, dump Apple, go buy something else, and take your whining with you. 

• Reply 215 of 381

Quote:

Let's look at the facts: Apple had a year left on their contract with Google. Therefore, they were under no time pressure to get Maps out the door by iOS6. Yet despite Maps not being ready, they deployed it anyway, causing a huge customer backlash which led to the CEO publishing an apology. I'm not the only person that believes Apple did this to get Google out of its OS...

I can quote sources, too.  John Gruber, www.daringfireball.com.  I encourage you to read his breakdown, it's brilliant.  He goes into the reasons Apple chose to deploy maps in iOS 6.  

Doesn't change the facts, which NONE OF US ACTUALLY KNOW.  We have bits and pieces.  It's pretty easy to play armchair CEO, as someone put it earlier.  

Bottom line, for me, it's C'YA to google.  

• Reply 216 of 381
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Quote:

Apologists: Their point still stands. Maps is still a mess. You know it. I know it. And the CEO of Apple knows it.

And the point is, Google Maps STILL has some issues and is not perfect and the "iLost" mockvertisement was a fraud.

• Reply 217 of 381
    haha nice find! how do you guys remember all this stuff??

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

You're not scoring any points here, quite the opposite.

Here's your proof. Can you contest it?
  • Reply 218 of 381
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    waverunnr wrote: »

Posting your message once would have been enough. :-/

The problem is that you are incapable of seeing the big picture. There's much more involved than you're letting on. Let's do the typical pros and cons comparison:

Pros of changing
    - Apple to add turn by turn
    - Apple to add flyover (which is comparable to streetview for many purposes)
    - Save money in Google license fees (maybe - they might be obligated to pay, anyway)
    - Avoid giving Google more control over Apple's customers
    - Avoid privacy issues involved in letting Google have its way

Cons
    - Some number of people are inconvenienced in that they have to use maps.google.com. That's a relatively minor (and, presumably, temporary) inconvenience.

Apple gained a great deal by changing. And the loss has never been quantified. Sure, there are a lot of people with loud mouths complaining, but Google's ad, at least, has been shown to be very disingenuous - at best. No one has yet established any statistical evidence that Apple's Maps is significantly worse than Google's.
  • Reply 219 of 381
    kimgh wrote: »
    Maps is already getting better. I reported a mislocation of an address a few days ago. When I checked yesterday, the problem had been corrected. That's WAY faster than Google, by the way: I reported a bad location to them a few years ago, and after several weeks they sent me an email saying it was fixed.

I have a few from Google I would report every week, including directions sending folks the wrong way down a street that has been one way for like 20 years. After 3 years, they still aren't fixed. Especially the directions one.
  • Reply 220 of 381
    Gruber is the KING of Apple Apologists. Hell, he may even be a part of Apple's PR dept he's so bad. He's an arrogant prick who doesn't allow commenting on his site because too many people would embarrass him by calling him out on his BS.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

I can quote sources, too.  John Gruber, www.daringfireball.com.  I encourage you to read his breakdown, it's brilliant.  He goes into the reasons Apple chose to deploy maps in iOS 6.  

Doesn't change the facts, which NONE OF US ACTUALLY KNOW.  We have bits and pieces.  It's pretty easy to play armchair CEO, as someone put it earlier.  

Bottom line, for me, it's C'YA to google.