Rumor: Video of alleged 'iPad mini' Wi-Fi-only mockup hits the web

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
A somewhat blurry video of what is supposedly a model of Apple's as-yet-unannounced 7.85-inch iPad was posted to YouTube on Friday, showing slight differences from previous mockups possibly pointing to a Wi-Fi-only version of the rumored device.

The video, from Japanese language Apple blog Mac Otakara, shows what appears to be a mockup of the small form factor tablet that has gained attention over the past few weeks and was recently featured in a video two weeks ago. In that report, however, the dummy mockup sported a black strip at the top of the device's backplate, hinting that the rumored production version would include cellular capabilities.

While the mockup revealed on Friday is obviously a dummy model possibly purchased from the same source as the previous video, as evidenced by the thin plastic front screen covering what looks to be icons printed on paper, seemingly non-functioning buttons and questionable bezel size, it is missing the tell-tale black plastic insert on the device's rear shell which serves as a window for cellular radio signals.

Although merely speculation, the replica bears a striking resemblance to a previously photographed mockup seen in another two week-old report. It seems the related videos and images all came from models sourced from the same person or company, however that too cannot be confirmed.

Apple is thought to be planning a special October event which may see the release of the smaller iPad.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 80
    Yea thats exactly what it is going to look like, same company (and same music) for the iphone 5 , four months before it came out.
  • Reply 2 of 80

What a terrible product.

The mockup is moderately well made, though. Shame the camera's focus is broken and they didn't think to check that before uploading.

• Reply 3 of 80
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Shame the camera's focus is broken and they didn't think to check that before uploading.

I'm guessing that it was maybe done on purpose.

• Reply 4 of 80

Quote:

What a terrible product.

The mockup is moderately well made, though. Shame the camera's focus is broken and they didn't think to check that before uploading.

Uhh...taken with a Samsung GSIII. Best possible image.

• Reply 5 of 80
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    I don't get it. Isn't this just a plastic prop?
    You know, the kind they use at Ikea to display a monitor or keyboard on a desk.
  • Reply 5 of 80
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    nm/double post
  • Reply 7 of 80
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    but how are the maps on it? it's newer so they must be better, right? let's not have a thread without mentioning maps, for the love of pete.
  • Reply 8 of 80

I agree looks like a plastic prop.

• Reply 9 of 80

Quote:

What a terrible product.

Since it isn't even out yet how would you know if it is a "terrible" product!? (fixed)

You always say crap like this when anyone else comments on a not released product......funny to see you do the same thing.

You know I love to hate you Tallest, but I'm still glad you're here. :P

• Reply 10 of 80
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

Quote:

Originally Posted by faZZter View Post

Since it isn't even out yet how would you know if it is a "terrible" product!? /s

Because it shouldn't even exist to begin with. Its utterly pointless.

• Reply 11 of 80
    Too light. Screen is too glossy. Headphone jack is on top instead of the bottom. If it is real, then it's a gutless prop used to make cases.
  • Reply 12 of 80
    bdkennedy wrote: »
    Too light. Screen is too glossy. Headphone jack is on top instead of the bottom. If it is real, then it's a gutless prop used to make cases.

I can see the headphone jack being on the top. It's not really the same situation as the iPhone, which I'm very glad to have the jack now at the bottom.
  • Reply 13 of 80
    Looks like Maps doesn't work properly on the Mini either.
  • Reply 14 of 80
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    What a terrible product.
    What do you expect, it's a mock-up.
  • Reply 15 of 80
    It would be great except no Retina screen = pass for me.
  • Reply 16 of 80
    The reflections on the screen would appear to indicate that it is not perfectly flat, so it's probably not glass (and probably not authentic).
  • Reply 17 of 80
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I can see the headphone jack being on the top. It's not really the same situation as the iPhone, which I'm very glad to have the jack now at the bottom.
    Agree. It would little sense to have the headphone jack at the bottom on a tablet. This kind of device wouldn't be 'pocket device' like an iphone. I also suspect this device, if it is released at all, will mostly be held horizontally when used.
  • Reply 18 of 80
    The iPad Mini might be worth it if it had a retina screen, otherwise pass... I don't honestly see how they could sell an iPad with a 1024x768 low quality screen these days when it's clear the march to Retina is where it's at.
  • Reply 19 of 80
    "A Rumour of a Video of an Alleged Mockup?" WTF?

Who is writing this stuff, Chimpanzees?

- no such thing as an alleged mockup
    - not a rumour of a video, just a video

correct title: "Video of Mockup Hits the Web"
  • Reply 20 of 80

In, before, "See it REALLY is a giant iPod!!" 

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Agree. It would little sense to have the headphone jack at the bottom on a tablet. This kind of device wouldn't be 'pocket device' like an iphone. I also suspect this device, if it is released at all, will mostly be held horizontally when used.

You know what makes even more sense to me? Moving the speaker to the FRONT, but I'm sure that's never happening.