Chinese court rules Apple must pay over $82K to encyclopedia publisher over App Store piracy

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    The straightforward way would be to send Apple a cease-and-desist which I'm sure Apple would respond to and remove the offending app and ban the developer as well. But why ask nicely when you can squeeze for some money right?

There is no such thing as "straightforward" when doing business in Asia. I'm almost in tears now because a recent project I just did, back here in Australia, went so smoothly I almost can't believe it.

There are con artists everywhere of course, but in Malaysia in the past several years I was literally continuously wading through them.
  • Reply 42 of 50
    I apologize if this statement hurts your feelings, but sir, you're stupid, or ignorant.

China is a country with laws, like America. Like America, it might sometimes disregard them (hey, remember attacking Irak guys, which qualifies as an unilateral aggression in terms of international law? OK, now that the "terrorist" part is eliminated... let's move along).

Apple has a Store. It sells stuff, and that stuff happened to be stolen. Apple is liable for that like anyone else would be. Being Apple doesn't mean "hey, we can ignore the law". 
    If you sell stolen goods, you're liable. If you keep selling them once you're aware they're stolen, you are even a criminal, but the mere act of selling stolen goods makes you liable.
    Apple, however, can and should sue the hell out of the persons who broke the law in the first place, but your comment was outrageous.

Wrong. China and most Asian countries are countries with a facade of laws, not laws. You say that something should happen to Apple because it sold stolen goods. However, in China and Asia, the law is whatever the government/ cronies/ corrupt/ "judiciary"/ syariah courts feel like doing at the time.

I say to all, beware the dragon rising, for it is something familiar yet totally different that will dominate our century, and leaving the West to beg to maintain the West's way of life.
  • Reply 43 of 50
    Copy-written? Really? Used to be that books were copyrighted, not copy-written. Cop a clue.
  • Reply 44 of 50

Originally Posted by bonobob View Post

Copy-written? Really? Used to be that books were copyrighted, not copy-written. Cop a clue.

Bet you say 'dwarfs', too. image

• Reply 45 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Sorry - I've been getting too many Facebook posts from right wing lunatics that sounded just like your post and missed your humor.

You're comment are too business like and only few understands.. Peace!

• Reply 46 of 50

Quote:

Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

Wrong. China and most Asian countries are countries with a facade of laws, not laws. You say that something should happen to Apple because it sold stolen goods. However, in China and Asia, the law is whatever the government/ cronies/ corrupt/ "judiciary"/ syariah courts feel like doing at the time.

I say to all, beware the dragon rising, for it is something familiar yet totally different that will dominate our century, and leaving the West to beg to maintain the West's way of life.

And what are you trying to imply with this???????

• Reply 47 of 50
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    fatusmiles wrote: »
    And what are you trying to imply with this???????

The "West" is the last bastion of freedom, democracy, rule of law and fairness. For at least the next 30 years. There will be improvements in the developing world but it won't come close to the peak of Western civilisation of the early 21st Century.
  • Reply 48 of 50
    success wrote: »
    Or they could get their products taken out of China; the land of soon to be 2 billion people.

Apple wasn't going to ever win that one... It was a setup between the mainland China parent and Taiwan child company.... China "just doesn't recognize" legal contracts made in Taiwan whenever it suits them... There's no way Apple was going to win without that recognition.
  • Reply 49 of 50
    Marvin wrote: »
    idea for a scam:
    - write a book, get it copywritten and published, selling for $100+ a copy
    - get someone to publish it on the App Store for free
    - sue Apple for every copy downloaded
    Perhaps they need to have a system that auto scans for copywritten text the way Google does for music on Youtube.

This is the huge downside of a walked garden. The fact that Apple reads through as much of a program as they want, then makes a decision, based on their own internal criteria... A combination of content, morals, technical, and future business decisions... Apple firmly lacks "common carrier" type status that other ISPs and Retailers fight so hard to keep.

As the judgement seems a reasonable amount of sales (82k vs 8200k like US courts allow) I see this setting a nasty precedent... But one coming soon in the USA as soon as the lawyers can actually get a case to court. This also explains why we get these "change your name or else" posts from time-to-time... As Apple gets cornered and settles to keep this from happening in US or EU courts.
  • Reply 50 of 50
    sr2012 wrote: »
    The "West" is the last bastion of freedom, democracy, rule of law and fairness. For at least the next 30 years. There will be improvements in the developing world but it won't come close to the peak of Western civilisation of the early 21st Century.

Yeah right! history